Photo

BSA 500cc twin ex-Daytona

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 prseagerthomas

prseagerthomas

• 19 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 17:46

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who might know a little about the machine I own, albeit partially in bits.

Bought circa 1990, I had no idea what it was, only identifying it a year later as an ex-Daytona machine, and a year later finding it to be Don Vesco's machine (from 1967). This information came from Vesco himself, who at the time had the unrestored machine raced by Dan Haaby.

My interest is in what happened to the bike after its' return to the UK. According to Vesco, this machine was re-patriated because it was the machine which 'lasted longest'.

The image below shows an original machine at Small Heath

DAYTONA1small_zpsb5a30f56.jpg

Photo courtesy of EMAP archives and Brian Woolley

I have found that the bike was entered for the 1967 Manx GP, but did not race. It was then campaigned during 1967 until replaced by a 1968 ex-Daytona machine.

The image below shows the bike at Cadwell Park with the original tank replaced by the normal BSA 'Production Racer' tank.

DAYTONACADWELL_zps164f2ee6.jpg

Again couresy of EMAP and Brian Woolley

I have no idea when BSA disposed of this machine. I bought it from the 'estate' of Robert Peacock, who I am sure raced a Rickman BSA. Mr Peacock had died in about 1975, I actually bought the bike from his father.

Any comment and ideas are welcome. I have researched the Daytona machines extensively, so perhaps can answer questions from other...

Peter.

Edited by prseagerthomas, 28 October 2013 - 17:48.

Advertisement

#2 hugoct

hugoct

• 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 14:49

we are restoring Dick Mann's 1966 A50 Daytona bike

I have some info regarding these bikes

Bill Milburn

hugoct@aol.com

#3 prseagerthomas

prseagerthomas

• 19 posts