Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

Teams that are in F1 foremost for racing

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Teams that are in F1 foremost for racing (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Which teams are in F1 foremost for racing

1. Red Bull (29 votes [5.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.14%

2. Ferrari (70 votes [12.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.41%

3. McLaren (79 votes [14.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.01%

4. Lotus (32 votes [5.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.67%

5. Mercedes (20 votes [3.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.55%

6. Sauber (76 votes [13.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

7. Force India (39 votes [6.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.91%

8. Williams (92 votes [16.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.31%

9. Toro Rosso (19 votes [3.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.37%

10. Caterham (41 votes [7.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

11. Marussia (38 votes [6.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

12. Renault (engine manufacturer) (17 votes [3.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.01%

13. All are for other reasons (12 votes [2.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 19:07

My own arbitrary (and not necessarily straight) line in the sand:

There are owners who started racing, learned about running a team in the lower ranks, built upon their own successes, and finally got into F1.

Williams

Sauber

McLaren

Ferarri

Then there are owners who let other people do all of that, and bought them out.

Red Bull : Bought Paul Stewarts hard work

Toro Rosso:  Bought Giancarlo Minardi's hard work

Force India:  Bought Eddie Jordan's hard work

Mercedes:  Bought Ken Tyrell's hard work

Marussia:  Bought John Manor's hard work

Lotus:  Bought Ted Toleman's hard work

Caterham:  Bought Litespeed's hard work

I'm not saying that the second group doesn't love racing, but I have no love for those teams.

I don't think those are all exactly correct.

For a start, the team Mercedes brought was founded by BAR - Tyrell had nothing to do with them except the paperwork. Marussia were involved with setting up the team right from the start, and John Booth is still the team principal (was there a John Manor?). Caterham had nothing to do with Litespeed F1 effort. Fernandes brought in Gascoyne to set up a team from scratch once the Litespeed team was declined entry.

Advertisement

#52 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 887 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 20:31

I remembered that BAR bought Tyrrell, but forgot that they really just bought it for the name, and not the rest of the assets.  In that case, BAR did the work and Mercedes just bought in.

Marussia wasn't part of it at the start.  It was Manor (John Booth) and Wirth Research.  Marussia just bought a controlling stake in the team (with Virgin inbetween).  

Wasn't Litespeed awarded the F1 entry, but sold to Fernandez when the budget cap went out the window? I forget all the details, but as I said my line isn't necessarily straight.  Fernandez didn't learn about racing by running lower formulae, so even if my facts are a bit off, he's still on the wrong side of my line.     

I don't think those are all exactly correct.

For a start, the team Mercedes brought was founded by BAR - Tyrell had nothing to do with them except the paperwork. Marussia were involved with setting up the team right from the start, and John Booth is still the team principal (was there a John Manor?). Caterham had nothing to do with Litespeed F1 effort. Fernandes brought in Gascoyne to set up a team from scratch once the Litespeed team was declined entry.

#53 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 21:45

I remembered that BAR bought Tyrrell, but forgot that they really just bought it for the name, and not the rest of the assets.  In that case, BAR did the work and Mercedes just bought in.

Marussia wasn't part of it at the start.  It was Manor (John Booth) and Wirth Research.  Marussia just bought a controlling stake in the team (with Virgin inbetween).  

Wasn't Litespeed awarded the F1 entry, but sold to Fernandez when the budget cap went out the window? I forget all the details, but as I said my line isn't necessarily straight.  Fernandez didn't learn about racing by running lower formulae, so even if my facts are a bit off, he's still on the wrong side of my line.     

Hmm my memory isn't much better than yours! I had thought Marussia were at least a minority shareholder from the beginning, before taking over later on. Virgin though were definitely a partner at the start, it was just the sponsorship agreement with Brawn that kept it from being announced. 

As for Litespeed, my recollection combined with a bit of googling says that they had worked on a F1 entry to be named Lotus, but after failing to get an initial entry gave up on the effort. When a new grid slot appeared, Fernandes and Gascoyne decided to set up a new team, and got David Hunt's backing to use the Lotus name. The only connection between Litespeed and Caterham was Gascoyne and the transfer of the naming rights.

#54 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,027 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 23:39

A more interesting poll: how many of us go to our jobs every day for the love of working hard, or because we get money to do that?