* * * - - 5 votes

Best racing videos of the year

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 22:12

This is a real easy thread to follow. What are the best videos of anything to do with racing you saw this year? Serious, funny, exciting, whatever. If it's an adjective you learned in grade 2, it goes in here. All racing series are welcome.

My nomination, apart from the excellent Youtube link in my signature, is a dub of Japanese racing commentary from a bike race over the finish of the NASCAR truck race at Talladega a couple weeks ago. By far and away the greatest 27 seconds you spend today.

So what good videos did you see these past 10 months?

Advertisement

#2 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:33

Without doubt, this is the best finish I've seen to a race this year.

#3 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:42

**** yeah that was God damn amazing.

#4 Morbus

Morbus

• 489 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:45

Well, that wasn't quite what you made it out to be. Pretty lame considering the whole "cannot defend" thing. If that's the best indicar racing has to offer, then I'm not missing much.

#5 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,177 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:53

No, that was still fun to watch and I am sorry I missed it too (in fact watched absolutely nothing of Indycar this season), but the moaning on Sato's driving at the beginning of the vid was BS. He did move a bit much in the final lap but the rest was just fair defensive driving, if that's outside of the rules in Indycar then it's BS.

#6 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:54

I knew F1 fans would hate that IndyCar video, because it proves that there's still passing in other series.

Bonus points for citing rules made irrelevant years ago. So I hear F1's gonna ban refueling next year?

#7 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 00:08

uGfLFth.jpg

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,497 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 00:08

NASCAR peaked way too early this year

#9 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 00:10

Pretty lame considering the whole "cannot defend" thing.

It's no different to DRS in F1, given you can't defend against that either. There was more skilful driving on show in those last few laps than a full season worth of DRS passes.

But to each their own.

#10 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 00:42

#11 OO7

OO7

• 23,395 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 00:43

uGfLFth.jpg

:lol:

What is it with these new designs Cool Beans, getting your daily Illustrator working out?

#12 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,264 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 00:52

Well, that wasn't quite what you made it out to be. Pretty lame considering the whole "cannot defend" thing. If that's the best indicar racing has to offer, then I'm not missing much.

That was some good racing regardless.

Nothing wrong with Indycar, I'd watch more of it if it was on telly in the UK.

#13 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 00:59

It's okay to be a little nonplussed at that particular video.. but let's try and keep in mind that if you all you knew about a year-long racing championship was a 7-minute video of the last 5 laps of the 4th race of the season, you'd be a bit of a **** to pretend that was indicative of the entire year. The same as if there was a tsunami of threads on here saying Formula One sucked because things weren't interesting in the last 4 minutes of the Bahrain GP. Let's keep it together.

#14 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:10

1. Those Japanese commentators sure are over-excited sometimes. Either way, it´s exciting hearing them get so excited and it brings me back to when they commented on Senna´s wins.

2. Sorry, couldn´t watch the oval videos. For some reason I fell asleep the instant they started...

3. Isn´t push to pass similar to DRS? So both lame.

4. Not a video per se but I rented the documentary "1" the other day and it was pretty good.

#15 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:36

1. Those Japanese commentators sure are over-excited sometimes. Either way, it´s exciting hearing them get so excited and it brings me back to when they commented on Senna´s wins.

2. Sorry, couldn´t watch the oval videos. For some reason I fell asleep the instant they started...

4. Not a video per se but I rented the documentary "1" the other day and it was pretty good.

1: Isn't British/American commentary [insert adjective here]?

2: You're not watching the right ovals.

3: No, it's not similar at all.

4: Okay?

#16 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:41

2: You're not watching the right ovals. You mean the ones attached to actual race tracks?

3: No, it's not similar at all. Any device that gives an advantage to any of the two cars is lame IMO.

#17 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:55

I can totally accept that Push-to-Pass is ****ing embarrassing. It's one of those "We put men on the moon 50 years ago but we can't figure this out" deals. You won't catch me saying the IndyCar system is how racing should be.

But as far as how it compares to DRS, if only one of the two can be cheating, you have to be in serious need of therapy to consider IndyCar's system the worst of the two. Any system where you have an X amount fo 20 or 30 or 50 or 100 horsepower gain for a set amount of seconds per race is better than this ****ing Harry Potter Your-rear-wing-doesn't-exist-if-a-car-is-in-front-of-you bullshit. Push-2-pass or whatever the Xtreme name is, is clearly the better of the two systems, because it can be used defensively. You can go an entire IndyCar race without ever using your P2P on offence, but rather using your entire allocation on defence. You can't do that in F1. In F1, homeboy who is 2 seconds faster than you anyway can be .002 seconds behind you at the detection zone, pass you, and then use Chilton ahead as an excuse for the same Wingardium Leviosa JK Rowling horseshit on the back straight. Because DRS is based on detection zones that become obsolete in 4 seconds, rather than cheaty P2P, where you get a set amount to use during the race and if you use them wisely, congratulations, and if you **** up, **** you.

You'll never hear me pretend 1 system is the right way to be, because no system like that is the right way to be. But these things come about because racing is dying and whatever keeps fans buying tickets is A-Okay in my book. And IndyCar's version of fake passing is chess to F1's Chinese Checkers. So what? There are a billion things F1 does better than IndyCar. But DRS sure as **** isn't one of them.

Edited by Andrew Hope, 01 November 2013 - 01:58.

#18 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:48

Ah yes, the "ovals aren't real race tracks" chestnut. I guess the F1 drivers that entered and won the Indy 500 (including Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Emerson Fittipaldi, Mario Andretti) over the decades were wasting their time. Brooklands, the old Monza, Laustizring, Terramar and Rockingham were built for no reason, right?

Kimi Raikkonen's car control skill wasn't at all useful on an oval...

#19 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:17

I can totally accept that Push-to-Pass is ****ing embarrassing. It's one of those "We put men on the moon 50 years ago but we can't figure this out" deals. You won't catch me saying the IndyCar system is how racing should be.

But as far as how it compares to DRS, if only one of the two can be cheating, you have to be in serious need of therapy to consider IndyCar's system the worst of the two. Any system where you have an X amount fo 20 or 30 or 50 or 100 horsepower gain for a set amount of seconds per race is better than this ****ing Harry Potter Your-rear-wing-doesn't-exist-if-a-car-is-in-front-of-you bullshit. Push-2-pass or whatever the Xtreme name is, is clearly the better of the two systems, because it can be used defensively. You can go an entire IndyCar race without ever using your P2P on offence, but rather using your entire allocation on defence. You can't do that in F1. In F1, homeboy who is 2 seconds faster than you anyway can be .002 seconds behind you at the detection zone, pass you, and then use Chilton ahead as an excuse for the same Wingardium Leviosa JK Rowling horseshit on the back straight. Because DRS is based on detection zones that become obsolete in 4 seconds, rather than cheaty P2P, where you get a set amount to use during the race and if you use them wisely, congratulations, and if you **** up, **** you.

You'll never hear me pretend 1 system is the right way to be, because no system like that is the right way to be. But these things come about because racing is dying and whatever keeps fans buying tickets is A-Okay in my book. And IndyCar's version of fake passing is chess to F1's Chinese Checkers. So what? There are a billion things F1 does better than IndyCar. But DRS sure as **** isn't one of them.

I actually agree with you in that both are lame and I said as much. That's a lot of words to express that IYO P2P is the least crappy of the two, but hey, maybe if you forwarded your post to Bernie, he'll be moved and decide to eliminate it, unless of course he's a Harry Potter fan...

Edited by RealRacing, 01 November 2013 - 03:57.

Advertisement

#20 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:26

MotoGP Silverstone, Lorenzo vs Marquez.

#21 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:58

Not really racing, but kinda cool.

I wonder if David will get a reprimand  :lol:

http://www.redbull.c...ll-show-car-run

#22 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:26

It's no different to DRS in F1, given you can't defend against that either. There was more skilful driving on show in those last few laps than a full season worth of DRS passes.

But to each their own.

I much prefer push to pass over DRS, but F1 couldn't use that because they had to have their own 'superior innovative' thing.  The engineering of it is good, but I still prefer push to push.  More strategic and better racing.  Same with KERS.  F1 has KERS and DRS but I still prefer push to pass.  You'd prefer to have nothing at all, but it's the nature of aerodynamic cars that have turbulance.  It's like the lesser of two evils.

#23 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:39

This:

#24 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:09

MORE AMAZING VIDEOS OF RACING LESS COMPLAINING

2013 Firestone Indy Lights Close Finish! Freedom 100 4 Wide Finish:

#25 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:48

Very nice racing in that IndyCar video.

I enjoyed this racing series, at least the road course races. Unfortunately I don't have time to follow it now.

But I must say I always considered the "no defending" rules utter BS.

Push to pass is ok in IndyCAr, because it's usage is limited to x times per race (like In Scirocco R-Cup, for example). And AFAIK they can use it for defending as well.

On topic: about 75% videos of last 2-4 laps in any Moto3 or Moto2 race :)

A bit of rallying onboard for you:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=l8ICmi1JMPk

Damn, sorry, It's older than I remembered :)

Edited by DrProzac, 01 November 2013 - 11:04.

#26 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:56

#27 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:18

Ah yes, the "ovals aren't real race tracks" chestnut. 

Indeed. *yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn*

#28 WhiteSGPlayer

WhiteSGPlayer

• 273 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:20

#29 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:30

Not really. In that video, Hinchcliffe really had to fight to find a way past Sato, even with push-to-pass. It took him, what, two/three attempts to get the move done? Now compare that to what we saw at the Indian Grand Prix. Sure, Vettel's performance was excellent, but his cause was rather helped by being a million miles an hour faster than the other guy on the straights who can't defend in the DRS zone. Where was the skill involved in that? There isn't any.

I'm not of course saying that one is artificial, when the other isn't. In the ideal world motorsport wouldn't need either. But as it does, I think push-to-pass is the better system.

#30 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,027 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 14:07

the push to pass thing looked very well balanced in that video. sato could defend from it (he made a mistake under braking in the last turn, otherwise he was safe)

#31 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 15:31

uGfLFth.jpg

:lol:

What is it with these new designs Cool Beans, getting your daily Illustrator working out?

I thought I recognised the stickman style from somewhere.

Edited by TheUltimateWorrier, 01 November 2013 - 15:35.

#32 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 15:49

By far and away the best race I've watched this year.   :up:  :up:  :up:

#33 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 17:59

Marquez's lean angle through the last two corners must have been incredible. He was virtually horizontal.

#34 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 18:23

Deep-fried comedy gold in GP2 at Monaco this year.

Ah, the stars of tomorrow, today.

#35 LB

LB

• 13,561 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 19:42

Indeed. *yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn*

Try watching rather than complaining, all the oval stuff on this thread is good stuff especially the indy lights finish that was epic!

My major racing memory of this year was more because i was there at the time. The last lap of the nationwide race at daytona. I'll not post a video because fans were injured, but the memory of watching a wheel going into the stand is implanted in my mind. luckily everyone survived.

#36 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,959 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 20:21

I think Peat was saying that the complaining about ovals is what's tedious.

#37 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 20:58

2013 Firestone Indy Lights Close Finish! Freedom 100 4 Wide Finish:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Wp1klmtsWQA

We have a winner. Hinchcliffe and Sato was pretty awesome too, though.

#38 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,246 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 23:05

Some funnies:

Will Power vs. Le Chump.

Synchronised Aprilia crash.

Saves of the season:

James Ellison.

Gordon Shedden, obviously.

Edited by Disgrace, 01 November 2013 - 23:08.

#39 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,567 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 23:58

Round 10 (race 2) of Porsche IMSA GT3 Cup at Road America. Probably the biggest surprise victory of the year.

http://www.youtube.c...C8Yvr1vKI#t=471

Advertisement

#40 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,497 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 00:17

Someone tell me how to edit an mp4 file. I have an extraordinary/slightly embarrassing Brit Moto3 race I want to share the highlights of.

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,497 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 00:23

Ah, the stars of tomorrow, today.

Apparently this guy's going to win the championship this weekend?

#42 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,567 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 00:44

Does anyone have the clip of the start of Ultra 94 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Canada by Michelin race in Montreal this year? That's the one where the bus with fans was still on the track when they dropped green flag.

#43 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:27

Without doubt, this is the best finish I've seen to a race this year.

Not gonna go into that whole "f1 vs X" thingy. Pretty nice racing there. But why are the commentators demanding the stewarts to take action against Sato? I'm not someone who watches Indy but his moves looked pretty clean to me.

#44 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 18:23

Not gonna go into that whole "f1 vs X" thingy. Pretty nice racing there. But why are the commentators demanding the stewarts to take action against Sato? I'm not someone who watches Indy but his moves looked pretty clean to me.

In Indycar, moving half an inch of your line is considered blocking, and blocking is illegal.

#45 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,497 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:03

Some funnies:

Will Power vs. Le Chump.

Power's interview after the glove-throwing was excellent too. The best bit is how genuinely pleased he looks with himself having come up with the champ/chump bon mot.

Sadly time stamps don't work with the forum's embedding code. It's 57m in.

Edited by Risil, 03 November 2013 - 11:04.

#46 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:13

Toyota and Audi battling it out for a few laps at Spa-Francorchamps, early in the race. :clap:

:lol: What a bunch of clowns. If incompetence was a fluid, it'd have flooded the principality that day.

Edited by Nonesuch, 03 November 2013 - 11:19.

#47 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:33

The commentators in the first video had me in tears of laughter.  :lol:

#48 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 298 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:33

not this year but a favourite of mine

mymemoryfails

#49 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 13:27

Try watching rather than complaining, all the oval stuff on this thread is good stuff especially the indy lights finish that was epic!

I think Peat was saying that the complaining about ovals is what's tedious.

Indeed i was.

I made the pilgrimage to Indianapolis in May and the Freedom100 was the first oval race i ever attended. Nat a bad claim eh? I think i gave myself laryngitis from all the screaming!

#50 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,246 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 18:55

Overtaking moves of the year, all around the outside:

Vettel on Webber.

Grosjean on Massa.

Marquez on Rossi.

Laverty on Melandri.