Photo
- - - - -

Newey could leave F1 and take up sail boats?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 macfannz

macfannz

• 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:22

http://www.mirror.co...argeted-2657453

Advertisement

#2 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,142 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:05

He's been talking about that for years.

#3 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:10

I wouldn't get your hopes up :p

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110994

#4 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:11

It's not important now if he leaves or not, since the damage has already been done :p

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,513 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:30

If Newey does get involved it's much more likely to be the next challenge but one. The Mirror piece is a typical bit of crap tabloid journalism, misinterpreting earlier articles in The Independent and Daily Telegraph and as Sir Ben Ainslie himself points out here, realistically any team which wants to challenge for the Auld Mug will have already selected its designer(s) by now and will be actively recruiting crews:

http://www.americasc...o-do-it-its-now

There are rumours that in future any team which challenges will have to employ only its own nationals, rather than the current multi-national set-ups: a good proportion of the US team which won this year were actually from the Antipodes. That of course would be a much more attractive proposition for both Ainslie and Newey.

I'd love to see Sir Ben get the Auld Mug back - with or without Newey - but realistically he's unlikely to be able to raise the finance in such a short time. In the days of the beautiful 12-metre offshore racers Americas Cup racing was described as 'like standing in a cold shower while tearing up £50 notes'. Nothing changes - except that you now need an awful lot more £50 notes! :lol:

Edited by Vitesse2, 01 November 2013 - 08:31.

#6 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,974 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:46

With all due respect, you're not just days late with this story, but years, as it's been known since before he joined RBR that he had an interest in doing this.

#7 SR388

SR388

• 4,039 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:53

Could he take Vettel with him?

#8 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,448 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 13:36

Last time the 'he might take up designing sail boats' story circled, Newey moved from McLaren to RB.

#9 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,505 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 15:04

Sounds like a plan.

#10 Roscoe

Roscoe

• 122 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 15:14

He only won because Newey designed his boat :mad:

#11 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 525 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 15:23

I think Red Bull's team is so good that they can win without Newey.

#12 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 19:20

If Newey does get involved it's much more likely to be the next challenge but one. The Mirror piece is a typical bit of crap tabloid journalism, misinterpreting earlier articles in The Independent and Daily Telegraph and as Sir Ben Ainslie himself points out here, realistically any team which wants to challenge for the Auld Mug will have already selected its designer(s) by now and will be actively recruiting crews:

http://www.americasc...o-do-it-its-now

There are rumours that in future any team which challenges will have to employ only its own nationals, rather than the current multi-national set-ups: a good proportion of the US team which won this year were actually from the Antipodes. That of course would be a much more attractive proposition for both Ainslie and Newey.

I'd love to see Sir Ben get the Auld Mug back - with or without Newey - but realistically he's unlikely to be able to raise the finance in such a short time. In the days of the beautiful 12-metre offshore racers Americas Cup racing was described as 'like standing in a cold shower while tearing up £50 notes'. Nothing changes - except that you now need an awful lot more £50 notes! :lol:

Off topic but on topic...I spent a day doing this; http://www.12metre.com/

Absolutely the most memorable holiday excursion I have ever done.  Was crewing Stars & Stripes with a mixed nation crew which completely trounced the other two boats mainly fuelled by Budweiser and the enthusiasm of one American holidaymaker who kept encouraging us to bury the rail.  Fantastic day out.

#13 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,936 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 21:38

I think Red Bull's team is so good that they can win without Newey.

I'm starting to think so too. He must have groomed a number of engineer and technicians to adopt his way of thinking. You only have to look at how perfect the Red Bull pit wall gets things. They have a culture of excellence which I'm sure can be perpetuated by Horner. Newey leaving might even be good for the team since it would allow people under him to shine under the lime light where previously, they were in his shadow.

#14 Absulute

Absulute

• 882 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 22:21

Could he take Vettel with him?

Sure hope so