Photo

Does anyone recognise this Lotus Elite in the UK ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 23:39

I am seeking help identifying this Lotus Elite that was imported into Australia in the 1980s.

It had some distinctive features that certainly makes it stand out from other Elites, so hopefully there maybe someone who remembers it. The car appears to have been that very pale lavender blue when new - then repainted white over the top of this.

This is a photo of the car when it came into my ownership – as you can see it doesn’t look too bad. The second photo is of the engine bay showing the Stromberg carburetors.

5w9a.jpg

I have a copy of the “continuation book” registration check - presumably this was obtained to facilitate export of the car.

Date stamp - Oct 1967 – chassis number EB1405 Lotus Elite - white - reg number URC348 - engine 1220cc – First registered 3rd November 1960.  ( This corresponds with Dennis Ortenburger’s book and was sold through David Buxton )

Date stamp Oct 67 – Peter O’Donnell St Leornards Rd Surbiton

Date stamp Feb 68 Peter O’Donnell     Portsmouth Rd Surbiton

Date stamp July ?? Peter O’Donnell        Claremont Rd Surbiton

Date stamp  ??        Michael Norman Spiller  Dingle Cottage Twyn-Shan-Efan Maesycwmmer

Date stamp Oct 71 Noel Gregory Matthews Penalla Rd Ystrad Mynach  Glamorgan

Date stamp ??   Pamela Jane Spiller  Dingle Cottage Twyn-Shan-Efan Maesycwmmer

Date stamp Oct 71 engine number FW4000  -- was prior as far as I can read it BR15M31147

In the early 70’s Ian Hay a prior Super 95 owner buys the car after seeing it advertised whilst on holidays in Wales. Ian uses th car till 1977 then puts it in a lockup with a view to future restoration. This was not to be and in 1984 the car is sold to Norman Phillips who had immigrated to Australia. 3 years later the car comes out to Australia and Norman gets it going and uses it in rallies etc. In 1990 whilst being driven at Lakeside the car has an accident that puts it off the road. The car is sold in this condition a couple of times and I bought it in Oct 2009. As I have now finished the restoration of my Lotus Eleven, it is time to start on 1405 and to this end I have found a grp repair guy and the car should be with him in a fortnight. The engine, gearbox diff etc have all been done so hopefully it won’t be too many months before 1405 is back on the road again.

About those distinctive things about this car that might help someone memory.

1. Bonnet scoop

2. outrageously big fuel cap going into a normal pipe to the tank.

3. Girling AR front and NR rear alloy calipers.

4. Stromberg carbies.

5. MG close ratio gearbox.

6. Very low diff ratio of 4.875

7. Cutaways over the rear wheel into the fiberglass presumably to fit large diameter tyres.

Photo of the Stromberg carbies.

shup.jpg

With these mods - it certainly would appear that it was raced at some stage of its life in the UK before coming to Australia.

........  thanks .... Ed Holly

Edited by ed holly, 02 November 2013 - 23:43.

Advertisement

#2 BUCKLECOUPE

BUCKLECOUPE

• 281 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:32

Ed hi,

Go direct to Marc Shagen...If anyone should know would be him. Bob :wave:

#3 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:59

Thanks Bob - Marc is aware of Australian history but not before it came out here in 1987.

On other identifying thing is the Climax sump = it is like a normal road car sump obviously cast by Climax but with the front portion cutaway and deep only at the other half.

Ed

#4 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 21:33

Maybe there is mention in Autosport in period, I'm doing a search for another car so I will look for that too.