some even look genuine

http://motoresanu.bl...de-corrida.html

Advertisement

#2 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 23:18

Some of those are bizarre. 

The early 70s Indycar and what looks like a Dino Ferrari F2 sat half buried alongside.... The Remains of a Strato's in Alitalia livery with Munari's name on the roof... and the ex Phil Spector Cobra .... 

Would love to know some of the other stories and what is and what isn't what it appears (the 250GTOs all look like kit cars).

#3 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:47

I've seen the picture of the three Ferrari's- a huricane blew the building they were in down, leaving them exposed. 

#4 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:24

Really there is only a couple of those that are suss. The Ferrari in the desert and the Toyota F1 parked in the street.

The Ferraris, The Indy car etc were in a shed,, it seems to have blown away!

Within 5km of me I know of old rally and racecars sitting under lean toos, in the open. As well as sporty type cars sitting in driveways and workshop yards. Because they are broke and so are the owners!

I had one sit under a carport for 10 years + until I resurrected it recently in an attempt to sell it.

And another in the back shed covered in dust and spare parts. It goes and with a couple of hours work raceworthy.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 04 November 2013 - 04:24.

#5 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:14

The "Toyota F1" is blatantly not that, but what's the story with the McLaren, it looks much more "real".

If memory serves the Alitalia Stratos was found abandoned in Africa (and I believe since rescued), it failed to proceed on the Safari and Lancia just left it there...

#6 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:32

I was surprised to see one of my cars on the site. It is the 26th photo on the site (single seater #31) and has a Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon history. It is certainly not abandoned and the photo was while it was in storage and it is now actively used. I would post photo of it in its current state but I can't seem to get ImageShack to work.

#7 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:43

It happens though - not too far  from me was an Ex Warwick Toleman  TG280 (was it ?) F2 car. It   lay in state for years, surrounded by sundry FF1600 cars .Still there for all I know.

#8 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 157 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:04

Oh, gawd ! This selection of photos is destined to achieve the same internet status as the fabled "Behind the welded-up doors we found this hoard of cars in [fill in the country to suit yourself].....".  I have seen it half-a-dozen times now on various sites all with the same breathless 'Oooh ! look at this, Doris'

Well, OK, it is a compilation and the not-quite-a-Type-51 Bugatti is taken in the late Alan Riley's garage in Barnt Green taken just before the auction about two years ago.  Other forumists have identified some of the others ... 

Ho hum,

Nick

#9 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 239 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:52

I realise most will have a back story but some like the Mclaren Mp4 seem quite unusual

#10 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:18

the McLaren (it's been found out on another foum) is a show car.

#11 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:23

I kind of figured that. There was a few of those around.

I think the Toyota probably is too.

#12 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 239 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:23

Any idea where it is?

#13 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 13:08

I believe the Pugs belong to a Museum and were temporarily moved while their normal resting place was being refurbished. 

#14 funformula

funformula

• 516 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 17:52

Here is the full story of the McLaren

http://jalopnik.com/...rsports-history

#15 jm70

jm70

• 143 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:20

Myself and a few friends were involved in shooting a Honda commercial in Phoenix right after the GP in 91.  Short version of the commercial was Senna driving into the pits for service and the car morphs into a Civic and leaves the pits.  The "McLaren" we used was a roller with no engine or trans.  It was pushed into the shot for each take.  When I first saw these photo's I thought perhaps this was the car.  If it rolls, it well could be.

#16 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 239 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:33

Here is the full story of the McLaren

http://jalopnik.com/...rsports-history

Thanks, good read. Would still love to own it.

#17 small block

small block

• 192 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:35

The 21st picture on the first page appears to be the Lister LMP that raced at Le Mans in 2003.

#18 Neil Smith

Neil Smith

• 30 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:13

Just a little more on McLaren MP4/6 replicas/showcars. I was told by a McLaren technical guy that there were 19 MP4/6 Senna show cars made which went to sponsors - he was involved in making them and now works with Neil Trundle at McLaren keeping the classis F1 cars running. He also said that there was one hanging on a restaurent wall in Mexico City - I think Jo Ramires was involved in that...

There is one at Brooklands Museum - http://www.speedhunt..._Museum-001.jpg - given to the Museum by Shell after they started to sponsor Ferrari and not McLaren. It's very well used at the Museum for kids to sit in and giving photo opportunities for parents. Come along and have a look  

Neil