Photo

2014 Cholmondley Pageant of Power

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:39

Just picked up that the 2014 dates have been moved forward a week.

"Breaking News! We have changed the date of CPoP 2014, it will be held on: 13th, 14th & 15th June"

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:48

Hopefully the change will fool the rain god!

#3 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 13:06

Typical. It always seems to coincide with my daughters birthday so I get hassle if I go off playing with cars that day. I thought I might get away with it next year!!

#4 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 15:39

http://www.cpop.co.u...us-quo-concert/

#5 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 19:33

Will try and get to this for the first time - I know the new owner of "Old Nail" would be interested if an entry came his way... ;)

#6 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 19:38

And the main theme this year is Italian cars, so let's hope for a good turnout of red sexy cars under a blazing sun.

Chris

#7 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 21:00

Just picked up that the 2014 dates have been moved forward a week.

"Breaking News! We have changed the date of CPoP 2014, it will be held on: 13th, 14th & 15th June"

Timed to clash with the VSCC Brooklands Double Twelve. Doesn't matter really, as the VSCC folks have decided this event is a clunker anyway.

#8 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:01

Timed to clash with the VSCC Brooklands Double Twelve. Doesn't matter really, as the VSCC folks have decided this event is a clunker anyway.

Which event? If VSCC have decided Cholmondeley is a clunker they have got their deerstalkers on wrong.

#9 Davidson10

Davidson10

• 74 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:58

I agree with you, Chris, it is a shame that the PoP doesn't see more of their northern members turning out. I believe it was as a result of a clash of personalities at an early CPoP that the local VSCC group decided to turn their backs on the event.

#10 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,995 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:11

Typical. It always seems to coincide with my daughters birthday so I get hassle if I go off playing with cars that day. I thought I might get away with it next year!!

Perfect birthday present, surely?

#11 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 00:32

Which event? If VSCC have decided Cholmondeley is a clunker they have got their deerstalkers on wrong.

Ummm.. the event which we are discussing. I concur with your perception regarding the orientation of their head-wear.

Let's face it this event is just an attempt at money-grubbing by some folks who have more than enough anyway.

All a bit of shame really and why did MSV/Oulton Park not spot the potential to host a genuine "Goodwood of the North"?

#12 LittleBertha

LittleBertha

• 60 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 19:12

Invites now rolling out (well ....mine anyway)

This VSCC / VCC member back again to compete - this time on two wheels

#13 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 19:45

Have I misunderstood you? "Cholmondley a money grubbing event"

#14 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:03

I suspect that MSV/Oulton Park didn't spot the potential of a "Goodwood of the North" because they are a race track and not a stately home with a nice road running through it. 

As for "money grubbing" I would certainly put Goodwood in that category.

#15 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:49

Oulton had a nice stately home until February 14 1926...

#16 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 20:44

Have I misunderstood you? "Cholmondley a money grubbing event"

£93 for a 3 day adult ticket.

#17 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 22:47

That looks fair when compared to Goodwood at £134 for 4 days at the Festival or £145 for 3 days at the Revival

#18 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 22:57

That looks fair when compared to Goodwood at £134 for 4 days at the Festival or £145 for 3 days at the Revival

Apples vs bananas. Worlds apart. I've yet to visit Goodwood but it is clear, from the abundance of reportage on t'interweb, that they don't re-hash the same thing each day for three days (not very many cars, over a not very interesting, narrow, estate road) for three days on the trot.

#19 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 23:09

I've been to Cholmondeley once & I enjoyed it immensely. I thought it had a lovely charm to it & reminded me of the festival in the early days & I know of one historic team that much prefers it to Goodwood.

This year's three day Â£105 ticket does include a concert with fireworks on Saturday night & a Status Quo concert on the Friday, but if that doesn't "float your boat" & you just wanted to go on the Saturday or Sunday, it's a mere £26.

Advertisement

#20 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:19

Once is enough. 

Check out where/how  the family "earned" the fortune; allegedly.

Not for me to comment.

If you don't like it don't go, but the thousands of people visibly enjoying it last year would be unlikely to share your "clunker" opinion. You talk about "not many cars", conveniently forgetting motorcycles, boats, aeroplanes, helicopters, tanks. And for most people it's fun, but perhaps po-faced purists don't approve of that.

As for money grubbing, the event has struggled to break even so far. 

#21 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:58

I'm not sure it will ever make money unless they look at the marketing. On the surface it might resemble a Goodwood style event, but in reality the collective minds that create the FoS use every possible trick to get folk through the gates & have done for years. Not least a healthy warm reception for the gentlemen of the press, who of course in turn wax lyrical.

#22 Davidson10

Davidson10

• 74 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 13:25

Check out where/how  the family "earned" the fortune; allegedly.

Not quite sure what this comment has to do with anything, unless you are someone who would like to rewrite history.

#23 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 15:58

For a motoring event of this scale to have even survived through some very straightened times and often testing weather conditions, especially an event in the north of England is testament to the event itself. I've often criticised it's sometimes predictable entry list in the past but I'm just grateful we have an event like this at all in "the North" !

More Power to your Pageant CPOP  !

#24 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:17

What is needed is to get groups like the Frazer-Nash Owners Club on-board. I have been trying to get the Ferrari Hillclimb/Sprint guys to attend with a "select batch" of cars (preferably different models and not all RED!) Also I have chatted with the 500 Owners at Loton Park with the same objective. All such groups if interested should get in touch with CPOP as I feel certain that if they can ensure a group of say ten cars then the organisers would put on a special class for them.

#25 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 20:15

Not much interest on here for this event, and despite me getting the knock back for an entry I may just pop along.

Car entry list here :

http://www.cpop.co.u...es-2014?news=35

#26 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:18

Not much interest on here for this event, and despite me getting the knock back for an entry I may just pop along.

Car entry list here :

http://www.cpop.co.u...es-2014?news=35

Maybe the lack of interest is because many of us here are interested in the past and what happened then, rather than the current using/misusing of cars left over from former times. For what it's worth, 6 of the first 8 cars in that (date ordered) list have to be post-period specials (and I'm not sure about the other two).

As for "motorcycles, boats, aeroplanes, helicopters, tanks" surely, if any of those is of interest, one goes to an event specific to whichever it is.

#27 LittleBertha

LittleBertha

• 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:17

Bike entries are up - I am running #1

Ignore the misery  - should be great fun

Edited by LittleBertha, 04 June 2014 - 09:37.

#28 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:02

Maybe the lack of interest is because many of us here are interested in the past and what happened then, rather than the current using/misusing of cars left over from former times. For what it's worth, 6 of the first 8 cars in that (date ordered) list have to be post-period specials (and I'm not sure about the other two).

As for "motorcycles, boats, aeroplanes, helicopters, tanks" surely, if any of those is of interest, one goes to an event specific to whichever it is.

I think the 'lack of interest on TNF' is probably due to the sameness of the entry. As for the "motorcycles, boats, aeroplanes, helicopters and tanks" this is part of the "family orientated" side of running such a meeting. From what I have seen on t'interent and on ITV the Festival of Speed has similar distractions. 

My one big criticism of CPOP is trying to be "the Goodwood of the North" - it needs to find its own personality and maybe stop trying to be all things to all people.

#29 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:14

I think the 'lack of interest on TNF' is probably due to the sameness of the entry. - it needs to find its own personality and maybe stop trying to be all things to all people.

The entry to the first two events was far superior to this year's event. They lack the skills & drive of Lord March to take the event forward. 

......& then they've never had any luck with the weather either...... :well:

#30 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:05

Dad and i have considered this one, but the timing isn't good. I am competing in a soapbox derby that weekend, with dad as chief engineer and my brother as 2nd driver/team manager.

#31 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 22:33

I must admit it does seem to have an 'identity crisis', sitting somewhere between a serious motoring event and a family day out at a country show and yes some of the car entries are there every year.

#32 Davidson10

Davidson10

• 74 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 15:31

Sadly they have lost the input from Hall & Hall, and the Sinsheim museum, this year, both of which have provided many of the highlights of previous years

#33 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 17:20

Sadly they have lost the input from Hall & Hall, and the Sinsheim museum, this year, both of which have provided many of the highlights of previous years

Disappointing as they've always been quite a big part of it. I'll go with an open mind, as always  :)

#34 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 14:25

According to today's press release Alan Minshaw's Maserati Birdcage is "the first Birdcage to be imported to America in 1957. Chassis No. 2543. It has won more races in Europe than any other, at Spar, Nurburgring, Silverstone and Donnington amongst others."

I bet it was tricky negotiating the Hairpin at the end of aisle 2.

I also wonder which Donnington it raced at!

:lol: 

#35 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 16:32

I also wonder which Donnington it raced at!

That'd be the one with the brewery

orig.jpg

#36 LittleBertha

LittleBertha

• 60 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 19:46

Right - I'll see you there over the weekend

'14 Excelsior 7C motorbike- you cannot miss it as it has white tyres and a big X on the side!

Edited by LittleBertha, 12 June 2014 - 19:47.

#37 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 21:13

A glorious day in the Cheshire countryside today - Nice to catch up with Simon Arron, alansart, Stephen W and LittleBertha - and to hear the dulcet tones of Chris Drewett on commentary

IMG_8451-Copy-Copycopy_zps8febfc7b.jpg

Edited by Alan Cox, 14 June 2014 - 06:03.

#38 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 22:12

That'd be the one with the brewery

Which has a personal motorsport connection. Early 70s, an LCAMC Championship road rally that had just run the length of Condicote Lane with its yump. Bend just outside the brewery gate. My driver failed to make the left hander I called correctly off the map. Off on to verge (which we hit so hard the rear spring eye partially unwound on one side) and deep into hedge, which trapped the car. As dawn broke and we waited for assistance to get car out, I noticed the grass verge was particularly well-kept (other than, now, our twin tyre marks across it). I casually turned over a small board we must have flattened. Written on it was: "Keep off the Grass"....

#39 geordiecraig101

geordiecraig101

• 109 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:36

hi there, was my first time at Cholmondeley yesterday and really enjoyed the whole day so will defentley be back next year.  Anyway here's my vid of the action from yesterday, enjoy.

Advertisement

#40 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 19:58

Thanks for the video, Craig. You seem to have encapsulated most of the track action in that.

#41 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 21:17

Thanks for the video, Craig. You seem to have encapsulated most of the track action in that.

ASDC, my point exactly. More of the same is less. :|

#42 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 23:27

Well done Craig :up:

#43 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:47

Who actually organises the event? Goodwood has a big team who seem to know where every interesting car is and will pay to get them there. Perhaps the CPoP does not have thee xpertise or the cash?

Presumably it is run by one of the major clubs on the day?

#44 LittleBertha

LittleBertha

• 60 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:17

CPOP is not aimed (in my view) at history buffs in the same way GW is.....it is a much wider brief looking to attract families with little prior knowledge for a good day out.

For that you need cars that make smoke, drift around corners, motorcyclists who do huge wheelies and stoppies, loud cars of all sorts, plus some icons of motorsport, helicopters etc stc....so no it will probably not suit all/many members here. :blush:

I've competed twice now and this year was really good - lots of interested punters wanting to know more about the machine. :clap:

I also take my hat off to the commentators who have a staggering breadth of knowledge and keep everyone well informed - good to have Steve Parrish on Friday and Saturday on comms too.

Hall & Hall were there in numbers and while Sinisheim are no longer represented they are not that much of a loss 

#45 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 14:35

I'd heard of a few changes behind the scenes this year and a few rumours that a few of the high profile entries were not attending. Yes it was a little different but the basic format was pretty much the same. The campsite was a lot nearer the track which made it feel more crowded plus it appeared that the Car Clubs were back with cars on display. A lot of the cars were the same old favourites but there was enough new entries to keep the interest going. I'm not a fan of all the cars and bikes on circuit but I can see the appeal to others. It's a bit of a balancing act which they just about keep upright.

I had two days of good cars, good weather plus good company so I give it a  :up: 

Chris Williams flying Napier.
14247822567_865a3d1600_c.jpgChris Williams, Napier Bentley_3 by Alansart, on Flickr

Nigel Garrett's Camaro. Stuart Graham was down for a drive at some point over the weekend.
14430902841_f4b085a8d9_c.jpgNigel Garrett, Chevrolet Camaro Z28_2 by Alansart, on Flickr

One of my favourites of the new entries. Peter Rigby and his Abarth Osella PA2
14411133296_10e0c5bb37_c.jpgPeter Rigby, Abarth Osella PA2_2 by Alansart, on Flickr

Grumpy Ferrari driver!
14432924992_624b2233ee_c.jpgPeter Jerram, Ferrari 212 Monoposto by Alansart, on Flickr

Hans Kolby Hansen takes off in his Lancia Fulvia as Steve Parrish heads to the commentary box.
14430888871_0b3a6e9604_c.jpgHans Kolby Hansen, Lancia Fulvia HF by Alansart, on Flickr

Matthew Wurr was out in the McLaren M10B
14411107696_7e2021ebf9_c.jpgMatthew Wurr, McLaren M10B by Alansart, on Flickr

#46 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 14:47

Who actually organises the event? Goodwood has a big team who seem to know where every interesting car is and will pay to get them there. Perhaps the CPoP does not have thee xpertise or the cash?

Presumably it is run by one of the major clubs on the day?

It is run by the Cholmondeley Estate who have a team of four or five working on it all year, while the speed element is run under the auspices of the BARC. As LittleBertha says, (hear, hear!) it is not a purist event in the way that the FoS is, and it doesn't have the financial clout that Goodwood has to enable them to bring cars from across the globe. They rely very much on the goodwill of the entrants who, invariably, enjoy the relaxed nature of the weekend - witness the number who are keen to return. Hall and Hall have been responsible for many of the high-profile cars which have appeared in the past but they took a lower profile this year.

The Estate team have established contacts in the seven years that it has been running but they are not diehard motor sport enthusiasts like members of TNF and I agree that it would be nice to see a wider variety of new entries coming forward, but, all in all, it offers a great few days entertainment. Although I have been to all seven and have seen most of the entries many times, I always come away having enjoyed what I have seen.

The competitive element is there if you want it, and it is a very testing course if you are looking to set a quick time. Modern-day 'Supercars' and track-day specials don't excite me particularly, but the battle for FTD is as good a competition as you will see. This year, in particular, I thought Denis Welch in Malcolm Ricketts' Lotus 18-Alfa was particularly commited on the runs he managed before the engine cried 'enough'. Nice, too, to see Sam Brabham turning out for Ford in the Formula Ford EcoBoost. And the low-level Hawker Hunter display by Jonathon Whaley was pretty impressive.

It's largely a case of spreading the word amongst people who have interesting cars as a number of competitors I spoke to over the weekend felt it was still one of motor sport's best-kept secrets (in spite of the efforts of Simon Arron, the Telegraph's Andrew English and the staff at Autocar who, I believe will be featuring it this week)..

#47 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 14:48

Men at Work.....

Men_at_Work.jpg

#48 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 14:53

It's largely a case of spreading the word amongst people who have interesting cars as a number of competitors I spoke to over the weekend felt it was still one of motor sport's best-kept secrets (in spite of the efforts of Simon Arron, the Telegraph's Andrew English and the staff at Autocar who, I believe will be featuring it this week)..

Unfortunately for some publications it's too far north of Watford  :well:

#49 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 14:54

Nice pics, Alan, I especially like the Ferrari one. Yes, Peter Jerram looks unhappy in my photos of him, too, but I'm sure he's not. Stuart Graham was in the Camaro for most of the runs, certainly late Saturday and all Sunday.

#50 LittleBertha

LittleBertha

• 60 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 19:07

I read in the Telegraph that they had record crowds of 67,000 over the weekend :up: and elsewhere that the promoters have agreed that for the next five years that Friday will be a rock night. :stoned:

My understanding was that was initially a ten year plan and we have done seven - it sounds like they are intending to carry on which is great news. :clap:

Any pics of the Exc gratefully received at littlebertha at gmail dot com