Photo
- - - - -

Race of "Champions"?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:41

Susie Wolff joins Race of Champions line-up: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111134

Starts 73
Wins 0
Poles 0
Fastest laps 0
Best finish 13th

Perhaps "Race of also-rans" would be a more appropriate name?

Edited by 03011969, 04 November 2013 - 12:41.

Advertisement

#2 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:44

Perhaps "Race of also-rans" would be a more appropriate name?

Well she is partnering David Coulthard.  ;)

In any case, she did win some karting championships, so there's that.

Edited by Nonesuch, 04 November 2013 - 12:45.

#3 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 13:23

So Team GB will be out at the first round then, no matter what DC does...

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,946 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 13:42

Per Susie:

Jumping in and out of the different cars is going to be the real challenge.

That's true enough, given that she missed a couple of F3 races cos she sprained her ankle while shopping with her gran.

#5 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 13:44

I just feel the event becomes increasingly devalued when you somebody so far from being a champion of anything of particular importance in place. At least DC came relatively close to being a champion. Susie Wolff is, quite obviously, there because of money, connections, and her personal relationships.

#6 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 13:49

I just feel the event becomes increasingly devalued when you somebody so far from being a champion of anything of particular importance in place. At least DC came relatively close to being a champion. Susie Wolff is, quite obviously, there because of money, connections, and her personal relationships.

"Race of Champions"  is, I agree, a misnomer. However, it should be seen in the light of a 'fun' contest. A time to let their hair down.

#7 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 13:54

Per Susie:

That's true enough, given that she missed a couple of F3 races cos she sprained her ankle while shopping with her gran.

Also, it will be a challenge for her because she has enough trouble getting to grips with one car over 4 years!

#8 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 13:55

Meh, race has always been an exhibition event anyways, was never serious.

Good for publicity, why not I say.

#9 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:02

Yeah it's just a bit of fun, but when the British team has had the likes of Jenson Button before, and now they've got Susie Wolff... kinda takes the sheen off it doesn't it?

Vettel and Schumacher vs. Coulthard and Wolff? No contest. Chandhok and Karthikeyan vs. DC and Wolff? India'll nick it...

#10 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:06

Yeah it's just a bit of fun, but when the British team has had the likes of Jenson Button before, and now they've got Susie Wolff... kinda takes the sheen off it doesn't it?

Vettel and Schumacher vs. Coulthard and Wolff? No contest. Chandhok and Karthikeyan vs. DC and Wolff? India'll nick it...

Why? is it because they are.... Brits?

#11 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:12

Per Susie:

This post requires a few more air quotes.

#12 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:23

No because one driver is a Formula 1 World Champion, and the other propped up the DTM grid for 6 seasons because of who her boyfriend/husband was.

#13 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:24

That is pathetic. If I had never won a proper race in my life I would be far to embarrassed to participate in anything that had Champions in the title. 

#14 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:27

No because one driver is a Formula 1 World Champion, and the other propped up the DTM grid for 6 seasons because of who her boyfriend/husband was.

But it is a bit of fun, a laugh, a gas. If you get the chance to go to one of these events, you will see what it is all about.

#15 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:28

I love her quote;

What is so exciting is that the cars race head-to-head and you can see how close it is: it always comes down to hundredths.

Er... not in your races it won't Susie...

#16 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:29

But it is a bit of fun, a laugh, a gas. If you get the chance to go to one of these events, you will see what it is all about.

Unfortunately I can't afford to go to Thailand to sit in a more than half-empty stadium.

Dusseldorf and Wembley were good arenas, would've liked to have gone but was in right place at wrong time (lived in Germany when it was in UK, and then living back in UK when it moved to Dusseldorf...)

Edited by DanardiF1, 04 November 2013 - 14:31.

#17 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:37

Unfortunately I can't afford to go to Thailand to sit in a more than half-empty stadium.

Dusseldorf and Wembley were good arenas, would've liked to have gone but was in right place at wrong time (lived in Germany when it was in UK, and then living back in UK when it moved to Dusseldorf...)

The "Race of Champions" is, I agree, to some aspect, a misnomer. However, those that take part are "Championing" Motorsport. I sincerely hope that you do, in the future, get to attend one of these meetings. They are a laugh a minute.

#18 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:40

I'm sure they are. I love watching them on TV, but my point was that to go from watching Jenson Button competing to Susie Wolff is a big drop in quality.

#19 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:42

I'm sure they are. I love watching them on TV, but my point was that to go from watching Jenson Button competing to Susie Wolff is a big drop in quality.

I understand that, but, it is a fun event...

Advertisement

#20 ReeVe

ReeVe

• 178 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:48

it's mostly an exhibition event, if Button and Hamilton aren't willing to go it's not like they can kidnap them and force them to participate. So they get whoever is more recognizable ... I mean I am sure you can come up with numerous british drivers that are more current and "better" than DC too,  Bird, Calado etc but ... DC is more recognizable. 

#21 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,946 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 15:13

It's OK, if they lose first round then we can call them Scots.

#22 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 15:18

Is Vettel racing or did he not like losing out to Grosjean last year?

#23 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 15:25

It's OK, if they lose first round then we can call them Scots.

Always a good fall back. :lol:

#24 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 15:26

How exciting for GB to have a properly competitive team... I do hope her brother films another totally unbiased behind the scenes documentary, so we can see her progress throughout the event.  The BBC can show it in the 30 seconds where they show a funny bit at the end of the news.

Edited by DampMongoose, 04 November 2013 - 15:30.

#25 ANF

ANF

• 29,365 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 15:27

I hope she wins it just to shut you guys up. :smoking:

#26 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 15:29

I hope she wins it just to shut you guys up. :smoking:

Me too, but, it is like wishing I was 17 again.

#27 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 15:35

Is Vettel racing or did he not like losing out to Grosjean last year?

I dunno, I think he pretty much liked winning the nations cup 6th time in a row, and then getting really drunk with MS the night before the drivers cup.  :up:  

#28 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 15:42

Meh, race has always been an exhibition event anyways, was never serious.

Good for publicity, why not I say.

it's mostly an exhibition event, if Button and Hamilton aren't willing to go it's not like they can kidnap them and force them to participate. So they get whoever is more recognizable ... I mean I am sure you can come up with numerous british drivers that are more current and "better" than DC too,  Bird, Calado etc but ... DC is more recognizable. 

The "Race of Champions" is, I agree, to some aspect, a misnomer. However, those that take part are "Championing" Motorsport. I sincerely hope that you do, in the future, get to attend one of these meetings. They are a laugh a minute.

You either don't know or are forgetting what this event is about...  :( For me it has always been about Henri Toivonen and Sergio Cresto.

#29 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 15:52

You either don't know or are forgetting what this event is about...  :( For me it has always been about Henri Toivonen and Sergio Cresto.

Quite so, but unlike back in '88 when rallying was popular, significant numbers of motorsport fans today have a hard time recogninsing any rally drivers past Loeb and Ken Block.  So having a rally drivers competition is likely to fall off the radar these days.  Since the ROC Nations Cup bit was introduced Michele Moutons tribute has been pushed to the background somewhat.

Edited by DampMongoose, 04 November 2013 - 16:09.

#30 fastwriter

fastwriter

• 174 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 16:01

Does anybody know, why the likes of Hamilton, Alonso or Raikkönen never participated? Are they afraid of losing against a no-name?

Edited by fastwriter, 04 November 2013 - 16:02.

#31 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 16:07

Does anybody know, why the likes of Hamilton, Alonso or Raikkönen never participated? Are they afraid of losing against a no-name?

Alonso did, 2001 and 2002. That was the old-style RoC though.

#32 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 16:09

I do know what and I am not forgetting what this is all about.The ROC has evolved, live with it.

#33 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 16:10

Alonso took part back when it was done with rally cars.

Much of the decision is up to sponsors and managers. I bet many of the F1 participants would rather be on vacation.

#34 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 19:01

It is just a bit of fun - although the lack of big name interest probably shows a concept in decline.

It would be a shame if drivers didn't want to compete because they saw it more as a PR hassle rather than to drive and compete in something different.

#35 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 19:26

Sold it to Sky.  Sold the venue to the highest bidder.  Kiss of death trying to be Bernie without actually being Bernie.

Anyway Susie is lovely, I'm looking forward to seeing how she gets on.

#36 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 19:48

While we are all queueing up to bash Susie, can someone remind me what Karun and Narain are champions in?  Or is it different because they have testes instead of titties?

#37 P123

P123

• 23,937 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 19:55

Why are Chandhok and Karthikeyan there then?  Does that trouble you too?

Where is it run now anyway?  Bangkok?  In front of about 10,00 paying spectators.  When they started 'touring' for the highest bidder they sort of killed off interest in it themselves.

Edited by Buttoneer, 07 November 2013 - 12:43.

#38 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:00

While we are all queueing up to bash Susie

Um...

#39 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:07

Why are Chandhok and Karthikeyan there then?  Does that trouble you too?

Where is it run now anyway?  Bangkok?  In front of about 10,00 paying spectators.  When they started 'touring' for the highest bidder they sort of killed off interest in it themselves.

Doesn't really matter, they will quickely fall off, better drivers rise to the top

Advertisement

#40 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:16

Um...

Enough with your umming.  Get to the back of the queue and wait your turn!   :cool:

#41 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:17

Anyway the real Race Of Champions is a non-championship F1 race at Brands Hatch in April, is it not?   ;)

#42 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,946 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:31

While we are all queueing up to bash Susie, can someone remind me what Karun and Narain are champions in?  Or is it different because they have testes instead of titties?

I remember Narain winning a race in British F3.  Stoddart...not so much.

#43 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:39

Both are multiple winners in several formulae.  Winning the Formula Asia championship, or some A1 GP races may not elevate them to Vettel's league but it is night and day compared to 4 points in 6 years of DTM.

#44 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:44

Why are Chandhok and Karthikeyan there then? Does that trouble you too?

Where is it run now anyway? Bangkok? In front of about 10,00 paying spectators. When they started 'touring' for the highest bidder they sort of killed off interest in it themselves.

#45 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:48

Where is it run now anyway? Bangkok? In front of about 10,00 paying spectators. When they started 'touring' for the highest bidder they sort of killed off interest in it themselves.

They are there on merit, Susie? yep you're right she's the best driver we can manage from Great Britain, nothing against women drivers either, the event founder was epic!

#46 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:50

They are there on merit, Susie? yep you're right she's the best driver we can manage from Great Britain, nothing against women drivers either, the event founder was epic!

#47 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 00:08

They have both won Formula Asia series. No idea how those series rate, but they are at least champions of something.

#48 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 00:56

Both are multiple winners in several formulae.  Winning the Formula Asia championship, or some A1 GP races may not elevate them to Vettel's league but it is night and day compared to 4 points in 6 years of DTM.

That said, her team mate David Coulthard didn't score that much points more in his three years - while Susie would have scored a few more points in 2007-2011 with the current scoring system: 17 in total over those years.

#49 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:30

I've sometimes wondered why successful F1 drivers like Coulthard and Ralf Schumacher were so poor in DTM. Never followed the series, so don't really know. At least Häkkinen won a few races, but that's about it. Anyone have some insight into this?

Edited by Wander, 05 November 2013 - 07:31.

#50 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:25

I'm pretty sure they got their bashing in the respective RoC threads from yesteryear.