Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Magnussen or Perez - who would you choose for 2014?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
297 replies to this topic

Poll: McLaren Driver Line Up 2014 (368 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you pick?

1. Perez (113 votes [30.79%])

Percentage of vote: 30.79%

2. Magnussen (224 votes [61.04%])

Percentage of vote: 61.04%

3. Don't know (30 votes [8.17%])

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

Vote

#51 Exb

Exb

• 579 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:43

I would choose Perez for next year. Yes he has made some silly mistakes this year but look at how much Grosjean improved in the last year, I think Checo will learn a lot from this season, and if he doesn't then it will be time to get rid of him. Magnussen may well be a future star but I would worry about his experience - F1 is such a step up from the junior catagories and with virtually no testing allowed he would be learning in the races which is not good especially if McLaren manage to design themselves a championship challenging car. None of the rookies this year (or the past few seasons) have really stood out in the first year, despite some good junior form, although a couple have shown potential, they need time to get to grips with the demands of F1.

Advertisement

#52 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 3,513 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:09

Perez.

We will have enough kids in F1 next year. 

#53 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,033 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:29

Definitely Pérez if I have to choose between the two. I mean, I hear people saying Pérez wasn't ready for McLaren, so how can Magnussen be then? At least Pérez has a few years of F1 experience in him and deserves a chance in a good McLaren.

Perez wasn't ready for McLaren as in he hasn't been that impressive in F1 or in junior formulae.

#54 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,109 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:39

I think Magnussen has lots of potential but so does Perez. McLaren should give one more opportunity to Perez, he deserves that IMHO. Magnussen could gain F1 experience with Marussia or Force India and McLaren can evaluate his performance more accurately there. 

#55 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 217 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:49

Perez and Hulkenberg are both very good racing drivers imo, but when Perez got 3 podiums , 2 of them chasing down the leader it was because Sauber is such a fantastic race car or great strategy, however when Hulkenberg does have a great race it's pure talent. Back on topic imo Perez does deserve another year .

#56 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 950 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:58

Give Perez another year, if he isn't on the podium in 2014, then see ya.

#57 Les

Les

• 2,054 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 19:03

It would be tough on Perez if he is dropped after a year. He's looked lacklustre at times but he's been good the last couple of races. He seems a steady bet for next year but do McLaren want steady? Fiver on Magnussen

#58 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 511 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 19:19

In my view every driver that comes to F1 (without those who return and already passed the way to the top) should start from the back of the field or midfield at least, to get some expierence from F1, learn how to hold pressure, how to battle properly not crash, understand the view of backmarkers. Then if that driver is enough good move higher. Top seats should be for experienced skilled drivers. Even if some driver have proven this rule wrong, it's not the way to be, just my opinion.

Edited by ArkZ, 05 November 2013 - 19:22.

#59 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,109 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 19:23

Give Perez another year, if he isn't on the podium in 2014, then see ya.

What if Button isn't on the podium in 2014? Will you say the same thing for him?

Advertisement

#60 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 588 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 19:33

The only thing Magnussen really has to learn from GP2 would be how to drive on the Pirelli tyres. I don't think he would gain much else from it, and I don't think he would dominate if more experienced drivers from this year stick around.

Chilton seems to think he's going to be at Marussia again for next year so that's narrowed his choices down a bit. F1 is clearly the way for him to go though.

#61 jannyg

jannyg

• 109 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 19:46

Sergio Perez

Its been a difficult season for McLaren. Even former WDC Button hasn't been able to drag this car to a podium or top3 in quali.

Force India and Sauber may not have had faster cars than Mclaren all season, but McLaren haven't shown the race pace that the FI and Sauber have showed when those cars were having good weekends. So I genuinely think that at SOME races Mclaren were probably 6th or 7th fastest car!  

Don't get me wrong Perez has been average most of this season, but its his first season. Button is a top driver on his day and Perez really would have surprised me if he matched or beat JB consistently in his first season. Its a huge disservice to JB to say Perez has been bad because he has not beaten JB. 

I hope it gets better for him because I rate Perez, he has a lot of fire. Something must of happened for Mclaren to be considering Magnussen, I wonder if something happened after the Bahrain incident?

#62 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 148 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 20:05

Magnussen to me looks to have more potential, and has come through the McLaren young driver programme so would have a similar route to F1 as Lewis Hamilton (young driver programme, wins a feeder series, into McLaren seat), Perez is too inconsistent imo to be a top driver, sometimes he has looked good enough to challenge JB but most of the time he hasn't really done that.

#63 mp4x

mp4x

• 210 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 20:08

I absolutely love to see Kevin Magnussen taking Perez’s seat. Like the thing they did back at the end of 2006 season and put the rookie Hamilton in the vacant seat instead of keeping a mediocre driver (De La Rosa). He’s young and can learn a lot in every single lap and achieve everything possible if they give him right equipment, besides he has a more convincing pre-F1 résumé than Perez. I think they should sign him and give him an opportunity to drive in next two FPs in the US and Brazil. They already test aero maps and various configurations for the next year and instead of Perez he can drive the car for those sorts of things (like the time they used him in YDT). He said himself the only thing he needs is to run a few more sessions to familiarize himself more with an F1 car. In Abu Dhabi I watched an exclusive interview ADTV did with him and he was giving a comprehensive and insightful review about the team’s procedures and he sounded quiet knowledgeable (to me).

#64 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,754 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 20:26

Checo for me has stepped up a bit in the last few races. His driving has been calmer (certainly compared to Monaco) and he's obviously got some decent pace. The trouble is McLaren need to look at themselves and work out what their long term plan is. Button is a very good driver but IMHO while he's got some skills that are unmatched on the grid he also has some deficiencies that mean he finds it difficult to work around problems on the car. He's good and a safe pair of hands but not the superstar McLaren will be craving. Is Checo that superstar? Unfortunately I don't think so. He's shown flashes of promise and he's obviously no slouch but I don't think he's shown that special something that marks out the really top drivers. He was brought as a young driver who would hopefully blossom but while he's improved I don't think he's the answer. With a driver like Magnussen waiting in the wings I think McLaren need to go for him and unfortunately not renew Checo's contract.

#65 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 588 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 20:36

If they sign Magnussen immediately they can put him in Checo's car for the next two FP1s, let him learn next year and then hopefully he'll be driving well by the time Honda engines come in. I think McLaren would have figured out if Peréz isn't a future superstar by now.

#66 juanma9

juanma9

• 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:36

Of course the team is disappointed with Sergio's performance! They wanted a podium finisher and they got a mid-pack driver. But look at Jenson and tell me with a straight face how impressive this season has been for him.

Mclaren should focus on delivering on that car first. This year they can barely get into Q3. To compensate they've been developing these ridiculous strategies were they set up the car and pray for rain or safety cars (Monza for example). No surprise when things don't go as planned and the team scores 1 point.

So how can they reasonably evaluate their driver line-up under these circumstances. We know that the WDC driver has been more consistent and marginally outscored the rookie. Big surprise there.

I don't see how things will be different with Magnussen if the car is mid-field worthy.

Edited by juanma9, 05 November 2013 - 22:09.

#67 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,812 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:40

Swapping a rookie for another rookie is like rolling a dice twice. You might be lucky, or you might come off worse. I don't see Mclaren replacing Perez with Magnussen.

#68 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,019 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:48

Perez is far from a Rookie.

#69 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 481 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:57

Perez.

Experience + money = no brainer.

#70 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:01

Perez.

Experience + money = no brainer.

Read today the money he brings goes  most in his own salary, so Magnussen would not make a real difference money wise

I don't know wich of them is better

#71 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,466 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:17

...so considering Magnussen is probably a name recognised by about 10% of F1 fans I'd say that was a resounding win in this poll then for him.

#72 Zava

Zava

• 4,717 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:44

Perez.

Experience + money + no brainer.

sorry, couldn't resist :blush:

#73 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,410 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:54

I'd sign Perez for one more year and try and place Magnussen with somebody like Marussia for a season.

Exactly this. Now here's an idea, how about the top teams paying the smaller teams to run drivers for them to develop the best youth talent?

I am not convinced by Perez, but I think it would be silly not to give him another year. I still think it was too soon in his career for him to move to McLaren, but he may yet improve. Grosjean has certainly impressed me this year, although I think Grosjean has shown more potential overall and just needed to be able to apply himself properly. Not sure the same is true of Perez.

Anyway, I don't like seeing drivers cut after 1 average season - Perez has been far from terrible. He deserves another year.

#74 HP

HP

• 14,109 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:00

they won't announce it ever then cause Lotus are odds on to go with Pastor cause they need the cash.

If you check the latest news ( http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111156 ), then Hul seems to be the chosen candidate by the newly added Lotus backers.

The answer is that I never will say I regret that he left because we have a beautiful and bright horizon with Nico Hulkenberg in front of us.

Of course, if Lotus go for Mal, then IMO McLaren should get Hul on board.

My point in the previous post was simple: If Hul is signed elsewhere, then there is nothing for McLaren to consider besides But/Mag/Per. Or should Mal drive for McLaren because of his cash? Personally I don't think so. Mal didn't manage to clearly establish himself over Bottas.

Edited by HP, 06 November 2013 - 03:03.

#75 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:34

Skimmed some of the posts so apologies if anyone else has made this conclusion.

Last year the general consensus was Perez got the shot aided dramatically by "Mexican Dosh", at the time McLaren were losing lead sponsorship, the engine deal definitely wasn't going to work out for them given how Merc were now obvious competitors so choosing Perez was almost certainly more of a business decision than McLaren might have liked to admit.

This season, well Perez has been to use a bit of "ron-speak" less than optimal, and the car to use "villeneuve-speak" has been basically a shitbox so could A> McLaren failed to hit sponsorship performance targets, thereby either reducing the cash flow or enabling Mr Mexico to consider other options for his loot or B> Not need the Mexican dosh as much as they thought they might, and with Perez obviously missing some performance parameters (obviously based upon that's a good bet that any reasonable team would have contractual obligations in) they could seek for a "mutual" split.

Out of the 2 options presented in the poll, I edge towards Perez on the basis that it's better the devil you know and they will hope for progression in his return next year.  Another season of preparation for Magnussen and that means by mid-season they'll know where & what they're going with for 2015.

#76 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:47

Read today the money he brings goes  most in his own salary, so Magnussen would not make a real difference money wise

I don't know wich of them is better

http://www.telegraph...n-in-doubt.html

McLaren reportedly got £10million sponsorship from Clarovideo. I don't think Perez's salary is that much.

#77 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,051 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:11

Perez. What is the point of signing a 22 year-old and then not giving him time to improve? It's not like he's been miles off the pace. Perez should be considered a long-term investment, there is absolutely no reason to believe he won't get better with every passing year.

Without doubt, Perez potentially can become a good driver, but I don't think he will become a great driver. He had one season to show his potential. Kimi was able to do this when Coulthard was in much better shape than Button now. Hamilton was able to do this with Alonso as team mate who was in his best shape. And now we have Perez, who can't do anything with old, slow Button. And remember, Perez is 1 year more experienced than Kimi was, and 2 years more experienced than Hamilton was.

#78 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,329 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:56

If McLaren want to make Magnussen their future lead driver, then they should do what's best for him to attain that. Let him drive for another lower F1 team before joining them. I think the holdup is that they are unable to arrange such a drive for him next year, thus forcing them to consider jumping him directly into a McLaren.

Tough call. Probably made easier by seeing STR signing such a young and green driver. 

If they do sign Magnussen for next year, they should make it abundantly clear that there is no pressure or high expectations on him for the first year. 

Perez is (and always was) just a stop gap for them, they know he's never going to be a serious WDC contender even if the car is very good. 

#79 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,027 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:45

He had one season to show his potential. Kimi was able to do this when Coulthard was in much better shape than Button now.

funnily coulthard scorred 70% more points than raikkonen...button currently has 70% more points than perez...

best result for mclaren in 2002 was win by coulthard...best result for mclaren this year is 5th place by both drivers.

Advertisement

#80 bourbon

bourbon

• 5,245 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:58

Perez has had a tough season in his first top car that was running more akin to a midfielder - and in moments he was driving like a rank bonehead and earning the displeasure of all at the drivers meetings - but it is normal for young drivers in top cars to try too hard and make some poor decisions. 

I reckon he'll come through that alright and if they put 4 wheels under him that actually go anywhere, I think he'll impress. 

In the long run, I'm still banking on a WDC champ.

So no contest here for me.  Perez hands down.

Edited by bourbon, 06 November 2013 - 09:58.

#81 Treads

Treads

• 573 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:04

Magnussen may be very talented but he is also under-cooked. He's had no GP2, only F3.5. If he gets a GP2 drive with a decent team, will he learn quickly? Absolutely yes. As quickly as if he is in F1? Maybe, maybe not, but he won't be under the crazy pressure of F1, which is not a good place to be learning his basic craft.

Is there a realistic chance he could come in next year and light it up? No, because unlike Lewis Hamilton coming in he has no GP2 experience and doesn't have 10,000km of testing mileage. 

McLaren & F1 is not the place for him to be learning his trade when there is such limited testing (yes even granted there is more testing next season), that would be GP2 and then a lower-level team. We don't want him making the mistakes he should make and learn from in GP2 not in GP2 but in a McLaren F1 race team seat. And he shouldn't want that either. 

I'm not convinced Perez is the answer either to be honest. He will learn, of course, but he has never shown he is quick. Take Grosjean - it was always clear he was quick, his problem was he was streaky, inconsistent, prone to crashing. Now Perez is a bit prone to crashing but really hasn't even in one race or quali session shown he is quick. Sure he has out-qualified Button a few times, but Button is not a great qualifier. 

Who is better - Hulk or Checo? Everyone surely would answer Hulk. So why not sign Hulk for next season? The size thing is silly, he is the same size and JB...

Edited by Treads, 06 November 2013 - 10:07.

#82 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 950 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:08

F3.5 is more highly regarded by McLaren than GP2 is.

Edited by MikeV1987, 06 November 2013 - 10:08.

#83 Treads

Treads

• 573 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:43

Maybe by McLaren. Not necessarily by me!

#84 HeidfeldsBeard

HeidfeldsBeard

• 69 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:43

Tough call, and tough on Perez but if Mclaren have lots of faith in Magnussen and see him as a long term prospect then surely it's a logical decision to show some faith and hope that will be repaid?

Alternatively they could keep Perez and do what Williams did with Bottas last year - give Magnussen extensive FP1 experience and testing duties. Button is ageing and will need to be replaced sooner or later and it gives Perez a chance to prove himself. There's always the prospect of Alonso coming in and Mclaren replacing Button AND Perez in 2015.

I would like to see Hulk there instead of Perez ideally, with Magnussen coming in for Button in 2015.

#85 mp4x

mp4x

• 210 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:47

I don’t see any relevance between Romain Grosjean’s recent form (that some posters here tend to refer to) and keeping Perez for another season. As a big McLaren fan I hate to admit the fact that the team is more to blame than the drivers for this season’s poor performance, in the first three or four races they were completely nonplussed and had no clue what was wrong with the car.  But it seems they found the cause and willing not to repeat the same mistakes next year. In the driver’s case it’s the same, when they reach the conclusion that they made a mistake by signing a driver they should change him immediately. Signing Perez for another season is like giving a flawed car another chance. A flawed car can be modified but never matches the performance of front-runners. Perez is getting better but how? Instead of ferociously thumping another cars he finishes the race and don’t forget India’s P5 was the result of race strategy not his performance.

#86 Treads

Treads

• 573 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:32

I don’t see any relevance between Romain Grosjean’s recent form (that some posters here tend to refer to) and keeping Perez for another season. As a big McLaren fan I hate to admit the fact that the team is more to blame than the drivers for this season’s poor performance, in the first three or four races they were completely nonplussed and had no clue what was wrong with the car.  But it seems they found the cause and willing not to repeat the same mistakes next year. In the driver’s case it’s the same, when they reach the conclusion that they made a mistake by signing a driver they should change him immediately. Signing Perez for another season is like giving a flawed car another chance. A flawed car can be modified but never matches the performance of front-runners. Perez is getting better but how? Instead of ferociously thumping another cars he finishes the race and don’t forget India’s P5 was the result of race strategy not his performance.

I wouldn't blame Sergio for the bad performance this year. Nonetheless In that context I'm still not impressed with him.

The situation Mac are in is do they want one very good driver - JB - and another pretty good driver - Checo? 

Or do they want the best drivers they can get? 

Mac's driver line-up for me is clearly and definitively worse than Ferrari's, worse than Mercedes', worse than Red Bull's. After 18 races for McLaren, my opinion is that Perez will never be as good as these drivers nor even as good as Button. Therefore he's not the guy we want for the future. 

A good future line-up might be JB & Hulk, JB & Alonso, JB and Magnussen, Magnussen & Hulkenberg, or Alonso and Hulk, or Alonso and Mag, but I don't think Perez is as good as any of these drivers. (Clearly magnussen is an unknown quantity at this stage).

So in that context I would wave good bye to Checo now. 

#87 petef1

petef1

• 54 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:42

Tough call, and tough on Perez but if Mclaren have lots of faith in Magnussen and see him as a long term prospect then surely it's a logical decision to show some faith and hope that will be repaid?

Alternatively they could keep Perez and do what Williams did with Bottas last year - give Magnussen extensive FP1 experience and testing duties. Button is ageing and will need to be replaced sooner or later and it gives Perez a chance to prove himself. There's always the prospect of Alonso coming in and Mclaren replacing Button AND Perez in 2015.

I would like to see Hulk there instead of Perez ideally, with Magnussen coming in for Button in 2015.

I've seen a couple of references to JB's age here and it's interesting as you mention Alonso in your same sentence, yet he is only a year younger than Button. In fact, Raikkonen is older than the pair of them and he's just signed a brand new Ferrari deal so I don't really think Jenson's current age is a factor yet.

#88 Lights

Lights

• 8,872 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:49

Ideally they shouldn't keep Perez based on his performances. But the F1 world isn't always that simple.

#89 HeidfeldsBeard

HeidfeldsBeard

• 69 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:27

I've seen a couple of references to JB's age here and it's interesting as you mention Alonso in your same sentence, yet he is only a year younger than Button. In fact, Raikkonen is older than the pair of them and he's just signed a brand new Ferrari deal so I don't really think Jenson's current age is a factor yet.

Valid point - However, Alonso still appears to be at the top of his game while I'm not so sure about Jenson, he's still a top driver but I think he's past his peak. He has been reportedly pushing for a 3 year contract extension but Mclaren would rather give him a structured deal which would back that idea up.

Different drivers behave differently with age - some can sustain a high level of performance for a long time like Schumacher v1 did, where others like Hill dropped off dramatically.

Who knows what will happen next year though, it could be that the older, more experienced drivers adapt better to the new regs and suddenly Button has a new lease of life!

As for Raikkonen, he has only signed a 2 year deal - I don't think anyone would be surprised if he decides to call it quits at the end of that unless he is right at the very front.

#90 Lazy

Lazy

• 4,581 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 14:25

Means they are not producing the goods.

All of them.

Lol, ok.

#91 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 14:34

If Perez really brings £10million per year sponsorship from Clarovideo as reported, then I believe McLaren will choose Perez over Magnussen. With sponsorship becoming exceedingly difficult to obtain nowadays, it is really a Hobson's Choice to McLaren.

#92 peterr

peterr

• 32 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 18:47

Could it be that McLaren are mainly using Magnussen option as a negotiating ploy over a new contract with Perez?

#93 Exb

Exb

• 579 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 23:14

I bought Grosjean's form up only because this time last year a lot of people people (including me) thought he should not be given another chance and another year in F1, however he has improved, learnt from his mistakes and developed as a driver with the extra years experience. Checo is still a young and relatively inexperienced driver, IF he learns from his mistakes this year he will be a much better driver next year with the extra experience behind him - is he a world class driver? I don't know, he has not done anything yet to make me think he is but he has showed he can match Jenson for pace at times this year and Jenson is a very good driver, he can certainly be solid enough to collect a good points haul towards the constructors championship which is very valuable.

I think the poor car McLaren has designed this year makes it very difficult for Segio, at the start of the year there was a lot of expectation that he was stepping up into McLaren and needed to deliver. Lots of people were sceptical whether he was the right person for the job (too inexperienced) and most thought he had something to prove - to show he could get race wins and fight for the title. However the fact the car is terrible and unable to race at the front means he has been unable to prove this. I think that has probably contributed to the fact he has had all these incidents - almost like he is trying to make a statement that he is able to race with the other top drivers, except the car is not good enough too and he is being to aggressive under the pressure to try and prove he does deserve the seat. I think that's why he had so many incidents with Jenson at the start of the year, as he was desperate to show he is just as good and able to fight him. In the end it just highlighted his inexperience compared to the other top drivers. Personally I don't think he was ready for McLaren but they took the gamble and out of him and Magnussen (which was the original question) I feel Perez is the better option for next year.

Magnussen may well be a future world champion but at the moment it is not possible to know if he will be able to translate his amazing junior career into F1. Before JEV got the Toro Rosso drive, he had a successful junior season and did well at the young drivers test in 2011, after which he claimed he would match Webber if he got the Red Bull seat - he was very confident in his abilities and yet he has been unable to match Daniel and has hardly set the world on fire despite looking so promising. Gone are the days where rookies can step into F1 and be competitive from the start, lack of testing makes it impossible. McLaren should do all they can to make sure Magnussen gets a drive in F1 in one of the lower teams so he can learn what is required for F1, the front of the grid is not where drivers should be developing their skills and making the inevitable rookie mistakes - unless of cause McLaren think they may still be in the mid-field next year! What a miserable thought that is.

#94 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,362 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 23:44

Perez is far from a Rookie.

Exactly. Which is why I don't fathom those who say 'give him time'. If he is retained for next season he will be in his 4th full season, same as Hulkenberg, more than Grosjean and Ricciardo. He has scored 3 podium finishes in his career but hasn't come anywhere near those performances since (and that's even taking the poor McLaren into account)... so as each race passes those results become more and more anomalous until it gets to the point where you have to wonder just what part Perez had in those results at all, or whether another driver would've done even better with the strategies Sauber had on those days.

He has too few flashes of real quality. He tends to either go missing on race day or hit almost everything in sight and say it's not his fault. He has been thoroughly beaten by Jenson Button in qualifying which as a Jenson fan I'd even admit is quite embarrassing for a young, somewhat hyped driver, as JB is not the one lap master anymore.

In Perez' 3rd F1 season, in a poor McLaren car, he has looked ponderous. To contrast, in Lewis Hamilton's 3rd F1 season, in a poor McLaren car, he looked every inch the world class driver he is and was at that time. To drive for McLaren whatever their individual cars are like season on season, you have to be of a certain quality to drive for them. Perez was always a bit of a punt by the team because they were banking on the big results he scored in 2012 being a sign of things to come and not merely some good timing in form. He's become the Heikki to Jenson's Lewis, and was Heikki worth another season? No.

The way McLaren have talked about Magnussen and their desire to have him in F1 as soon as they can suggests they have a real understanding of how good he is and can be. I actually think next season is a great time to bed in rookies provided they're suitably prepared, as they'll have no previous race experience to confuse their judgement when it comes to however races progress in 2014. Similarly to how some drivers initially struggled to move from the refuelling era to full tanks, some might not quite get their head around 'modern' Grand Prix. A rookie has no problem with, as he has only the new car to fall back on and as long as he is prepared well by the team for engineering and all the other stuff, then it's just how talented they are that'll make the biggest difference... hence why Red Bull had no problem moving Ricciardo up to RBR and picking a rookie, whether it was da Costa or Kvyat, for next season.

Edited by DanardiF1, 06 November 2013 - 23:53.

#95 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,877 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 23:50

Exactly. Which is why I don't fathom those who say 'give him time'.

Everyone uses it as a way to excuse a driver they support if the circumstances require it, but I also think it is true that a driver will take time to settle into the way a car or team works.  He will be better and more comfortable next year, though really he ought to be there now.  Perhaps he will continue to give better results than Button and if so, he will have earned his second year as well as being the sensible decision.

#96 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,362 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 23:56

Everyone uses it as a way to excuse a driver they support if the circumstances require it, but I also think it is true that a driver will take time to settle into the way a car or team works.  He will be better and more comfortable next year, though really he ought to be there now.  Perhaps he will continue to give better results than Button and if so, he will have earned his second year as well as being the sensible decision.

I totally agree. A McLaren driver should be 'there' straight away. The other 2 seasons at Sauber were his 'apprenticeship'.

As for 'continuing to give better results than Button', it's only been the last two races, where Jenson has had problems in the early laps (yes one of his own doing, but the one in India where arguably he could've easily beat Perez to 5th otherwise wasn't his fault), that Sergio has made any gains on Jenson. He also had the arrogance to think that one result could secure his future (http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110926), as if the rest of the season bar Bahrain didn't matter. Two good weekends doth not a season make Sergio.

Edited by DanardiF1, 06 November 2013 - 23:58.

#97 HP

HP

• 14,109 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:40

Not long ago, there were many people who lauded Button as beating Hamilton and now are surprised that Perez is getting beaten by Button as well. Can't have it both ways.

I also wonder about sponsorship (not Perez's but the others). What do they prefer (besides McLaren making headlines)?

What is interesting in that context to me: in previous years, one could read at Autosport almost every week a comment from someone at McLaren, but this year things are strangely mute. What gives? Can't be lack of success only? So I think there is more to it, than a simple decision on Magnusson vs Perez.

McLaren with its high standards with everything is certainly not an easy place for anyone to start with. From the outside view, it also seems that Button and Perez don't go along very well. Plus with a car that so far has been hauled to 5th by either driver there is a lot of tension, as expectations are high at McLaren. Had McLaren the same rocket ship they had in 2007, Perez would have it easier. as he (and Button) would easier collect points. This also indicates to me that Magnusson possibly could end up in the same position next year as Perez this year if he were signed.

#98 sergeym

sergeym

• 526 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:37

I totally agree. A McLaren driver should be 'there' straight away. The other 2 seasons at Sauber were his 'apprenticeship'.

As for 'continuing to give better results than Button', it's only been the last two races, where Jenson has had problems in the early laps (yes one of his own doing, but the one in India where arguably he could've easily beat Perez to 5th otherwise wasn't his fault), that Sergio has made any gains on Jenson. He also had the arrogance to think that one result could secure his future (http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110926), as if the rest of the season bar Bahrain didn't matter. Two good weekends doth not a season make Sergio.

That said a McLaren car should be championship contender, not in the deep midfield. 

#99 stobiesaur

stobiesaur

• 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:59

Wow Perez is getting destroyed in this poll I didn't expect that.  To be honest it should have been Hulkenberg this year instead of Perez so expect McLaren to make another dumb driver call

Advertisement

#100 priestlysabbath

priestlysabbath

• 19 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:33

I would give Perez one more chance. This year's car was too bad to even judge a driver in his first year in a team.