* * * * * 5 votes

Quantum, The Cheque Is In The Post

• Please log in to reply
865 replies to this topic

#801 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,309 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 19:38

And that's why you have neither millions nor a newspaper.

Saward is being a bit snippy. I find his comment replies funny. I can't tell if they're nasty or just dense. And people accuse me of one liners

Never say never, I could still make a few millions someday. It's not over yet.

And from what I've read so far, Ijaz.has no millions either. He is full of hot air and a pizza shop owner.

With some shady connections I might add.

Advertisement

#802 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,696 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 19:45

The deal may ultimately be 100% BS, but he's a pretty interesting guy by the looks of it. Bit more than a pizza shop owner.

#803 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:51

I don't understand why said huge sum of money could not then be deposited at a bank that did have a suitable license. Also it seems odd that neither the Genii partner whose bank account it was, nor the sending party, bothered to check beforehand whether the bank could accept it.

The line "All parties agree" by Saward is factually wrong unless he contacted the bank and confirmed that the funds did indeed arrive and were sent back. Fact checking my foot.

#804 just me again

just me again

• 1,138 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:43

[quote name="ATM" post="6554594" timest

Now on a serious note, how big is that SAXO Bank deal? I know it's just for 1 year for the time being, but is it a tiny sponsor (front wing logo) deal, or is it a big side-pods/air intake deal?
Hope this money does keep the boat afloat for the Melbourne target. [/quote]

Saxo bank is qouted in Danish newspapers That the deal probably will NOT involve sponsorship on the car.

Bjørn

#805 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,382 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:00

Keep digging Joe  :wave:

Normally I have no problem with Joe. But here he's being seriously arrogant suggesting only journalists are capable of researching facts - is he not aware than many other professions depend on this skill and few are quite so handsomely rewarded without establishing its accuracy... He's also being quite spiteful and disingenuous in branding his "internet rivals" as fact finding on "google" - Google is just the transport mechanism to get people to in many cases official data such as annual reports and accounts, or press releases from a government. Really no different to writing a letter to obtain it. Is his information based on "Post"? Pah! how 19h century. Given his career is based on opinion, he's rather obsessed with the notion that mere mortals shouldn't be airing theirs.... One thing Joe has clearly failed to appreciate is that some of these people anonymously providing opinion are in considerable positions of business and society. His assumption that all bloggers are clueless, jobless oiks, simply reveals his completely outdated view of the modern digital world. 

#806 DamonHillOfBeans

DamonHillOfBeans

• 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:18

He's also being quite spiteful and disingenuous in branding his "internet rivals" as fact finding on "google" - Google is just the transport mechanism to get people to in many cases official data such as annual reports and accounts, or press releases from a government. Really no different to writing a letter to obtain it. Is his information based on "Post"? Pah! how 19h century.

I won a civil action against a large company, and represented myself. Their lawyer tried to dismiss my arguments telling the District Judge that "most of his knowledge comes from the internet". The judge, unimpressed, tore a strip off of him and said "most of yours is from books, could you please explain the difference". 

Joe seems to have the same attitude recently. He constantly uses the "I attend all the races" refrain, but that seems to be as much of a weakness as a strength. He's surrounded by the F1 bubble and often can't see the woods from the trees. Worse, he seems to get used by others as a mouthpiece. He's already embarrassed himself by being wined and dined (well, taken to Starbucks) by some Bahraini pro-government stooges and reporting their words as gospel; then he fell hook line and sinker for the New Jersey race organisers despite people who actually lived their pointing out that the building work was incompatible with an F1 circuit. Now he seems in thrall to Iyaz, for whatever strange reason. 

He's a decent hack, and a whimsical writer, but he could do with a few lessons in humility and how modern journalism actually works. I would post this on his own blog, but since I questioned his wisdom a couple of times my IP seems to be blocked!

Edited by DamonHillOfBeans, 22 January 2014 - 12:20.

#807 SirDennis

SirDennis

• 52 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:24

...do we know what date Eric Boullier has set for his move to Maclaren ?

I assume should be by the second test at the latest to give time for him to bed in...

#808 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,859 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 13:03

I don't particularly want to close this thread buecause it is a current and relevant issue, but if posters insist on displaying their bravado in the face of Mr Ijaz and his threats of legal action, be aware that Autosport will not share that risk with you.

If you want to be brave, use another forum to do it or start your own blog.  Saward won't let you, and neither will we.

So no calling him a con man.  No calling him a liar or a scumbag or a fraud - particularly that.

Please discuss the issues raised by the deal, or lack of it, without resporting to defamatory remarks  If you find yourself unable to do this, we will remove your comments and quite probably you too.

If you wish to discuss any of the matters raised in this post, PM me.

I'll repeat that, because inevitably someone will miss it first time around or think I didn't mean it; if you wish to discuss any of the matters raised in this post, PM me.

#809 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,837 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:01

Saxo bank is qouted in Danish newspapers That the deal probably will NOT involve sponsorship on the car.

Bjørn

So that means that there could be a loan involved... remember Renault and the Snoras Bank logos?

#810 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,696 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:08

Well the showed the car with the logo on the endplates, so what is it then?

Though that was on last year's livery so no PDVSA that I could see. and given it's late January why didn't Saxo wait for the launch?

#811 just me again

just me again

• 1,138 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:51

I Think it is Lotus who have talked it up.
Why should they say they are financial Secure after getting a sponsor, wich are so small That the sponsor do not believe he's name Will be on the car.
It sounds a bit desperate for me.

Bjørn

#812 Jvr

Jvr

• 781 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:56

Joe's view of libel laws and commenting on Quantum deal on his blog:

"on January 23, 2014 at 9:00 am | ReplyJoe Saward
The tabloids are very clever in the way they dodge libel laws. “it is rumoured that”, “friends report that” and such similar expressions are used all the time to ensure that anything dodgy is not stated as fact. This is something that many commenters do not understand. You cannot say that “X is a crook” unless you can prove him to be a crook. You can say that “lots of people think he is a crook” if you have people willing to stand up in court and say such a thing. And if a comment appears on my blog, which means that I must click a publish button, I am just as liable as you are. Hence any comment with such statements does not get published. Similarly some people do not get the concept that I am not going to publish abuse and disrespect about myself. Why would I do that? If they have a point to make that is made respectfully and in a non-hysterical fashion then I will publish it, but commenters on this blog have no rights unless I choose to give them those rights and no amount of weeping and gnashing of teeth is going to change that. Frankly, you are lucky to have the right to comment given the idiocy and vituperative nature of some of the people. I have the ability and the right to simply switch of comments and there are times when I come very close to actually doing it."

#813 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 859 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:03

The tabloids are very clever in the way they dodge libel laws. “it is rumoured that”, “friends report that” and such similar expressions are used all the time to ensure that anything dodgy is not stated as fact. This is something that many commenters do not understand. You cannot say that “X is a crook” unless you can prove him to be a crook. You can say that “lots of people think he is a crook” if you have people willing to stand up in court and say such a thing. And if a comment appears on my blog, which means that I must click a publish button, I am just as liable as you are. Hence any comment with such statements does not get published. Similarly some people do not get the concept that I am not going to publish abuse and disrespect about myself. Why would I do that? If they have a point to make that is made respectfully and in a non-hysterical fashion then I will publish it, but commenters on this blog have no rights unless I choose to give them those rights and no amount of weeping and gnashing of teeth is going to change that. Frankly, you are lucky to have the right to comment given the idiocy and vituperative nature of some of the people. I have the ability and the right to simply switch of comments and there are times when I come very close to actually doing it."

That is true - except I don't think that was the point of what people were saying about the specious nature of what Ijaz said & the eagerness of Saward to lap it up and believe everything and to report it as such.

#814 Jvr

Jvr

• 781 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:54

That is true - except I don't think that was the point of what people were saying about the specious nature of what Ijaz said & the eagerness of Saward to lap it up and believe everything and to report it as such.

Agreed, however, I am also somewhat taken back of his seemingly hostile attitude towards people making critical and challenging comments about the Quantum deal saga so far. In a way I think he is doing exactly the same as the tabloids and generalising critical commentators as "twerps, Norris Boneheads, vituperative etc." without naming who of the ones disagreeing with him in the Quantum deal reporting he actually means.

Edited by Jvr, 23 January 2014 - 12:56.

#815 sopa

sopa

• 3,361 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 13:06

Saward is doing the typical mistake of "arguing" - concentrating and firing his shots on people instead of the subject itself (arguments about the matter). That's why the real arguments get lost for him in discussions, because he takes things personally. I think Rinehart's post was also a decent overview of the way Joe seems to generalize things.

Anyway, Saward is OT here, so I won't go into it more.

#816 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 859 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 13:29

Agreed, however, I am also somewhat taken back of his seemingly hostile attitude towards people making critical and challenging comments about the Quantum deal saga so far. In a way I think he is doing exactly the same as the tabloids and generalising critical commentators as "twerps, Norris Boneheads, vituperative etc." without naming who of the ones disagreeing with him in the Quantum deal reporting he actually means.

Exactly. You can add words like "allegedly" or "apparently" to something, or cast doubt perhaps if you don't know for certain (without doubt, that is), but to call everyone who disagrees with you an idiot and that they have no idea what they're talking about and then pretend you had these reservations all along when the deal falls through, but made no mention of them or even hinted at the possibility you could be wrong, beggars belief.

#817 Jvr

Jvr

• 781 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 13:58

I really want to know what Lopez says about the track II Quantum proposal once again he is interviewed by some media. The contrast of him announcing the deal dead in AM&S with the later Interview of Ijaz and Ruhan's supportive comments is very large and there were only few days in between.

I hope the interviewing reporter will ask the question.

Edited by Jvr, 23 January 2014 - 13:59.

#818 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,859 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:14

Exactly. You can add words like "allegedly" or "apparently" to something, or cast doubt perhaps if you don't know for certain (without doubt, that is), but to call everyone who disagrees with you an idiot and that they have no idea what they're talking about and then pretend you had these reservations all along when the deal falls through, but made no mention of them or even hinted at the possibility you could be wrong, beggars belief.

He's not really said what he considers to be 'idiocy' but saying 'x is a crook' certainly falls into that category.  Some of the newspaper sites do switch off comments on some of the news stories specifically for legal reasons and it seems to me that he would be sensible (and well within his rights) to do that for some of his posts for the same reason.

Our model is different and posts are neither pre-approved nor reviewed unless we happen to be contributing, reading or specifically following a thread.  We therefore have to stick with warnings and deletions and hope we catch things before we get the email, which we mostly manage to achieve.  However, it would be far better if we could rely on people just being less idiotic or vituperative ;)

So with that said, one of our other rules is that you can't complain here about your treatment elsewhere so we should probably steer the discussion back to the Quantum deal rather than the bottom half of the internet.

#819 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,837 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:30

I Think it is Lotus who have talked it up.
Why should they say they are financial Secure after getting a sponsor, wich are so small That the sponsor do not believe he's name Will be on the car.
It sounds a bit desperate for me.

Bjørn

Because it's actually a loan from the bank that has helped secure things, and Lotus are dressing it up as much as they can...

Advertisement

#820 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 372 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:59

Because it's actually a loan from the bank that has helped secure things, and Lotus are dressing it up as much as they can...

Do we know that for a fact?

#821 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,867 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 18:21

I have the ability and the right to simply switch of comments and there are times when I come very close to actually doing it."

I would have thought that a journalist would know the difference between 'of' and 'off', but I guess he does not have the benefit of a proof reader or sub-editor when he writes his blog

Edited by ExFlagMan, 23 January 2014 - 18:22.

#822 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,696 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 18:28

Really? We're goign to ding a guy for leaving off the F?

#823 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 312 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 19:29

It's the internet, why would you expect otherwise?

And I forgot to add, it is going, not goign ;)

Edited by Tapz63, 23 January 2014 - 19:30.

#824 DamonHillOfBeans

DamonHillOfBeans

• 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 19:33

There's plenty of errors in Saward's work without picking up on innocent mistakes. Webber to Ferrari, Valsecchi to replace Kimi, Sony to sponsor McLaren, no violence in Bahrain, New Jersey definitely on, and of course the devotion to Ijaz, just for starters. 

Anyway, back on topic, how clever were Lotus to imply that the Saxo deal is their salvation? I suspect suppliers are reluctant to extend them credit at the moment, but if they believe that a bank has baled them out (oh how things change) then they'll carry on issuing invoices. I just hope that they get paid, a lot of SMEs rely on F1 teams for their income. 

#825 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 19:40

Who knew?

http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/1400080797

#826 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 372 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 20:18

:lol: Too funny.

It is well known, of course, that the Zen monks went begging everyday. Not because they needed the money, but because it gave others the opportunity to 'perform a generous act'.

Required reading for Genii clients, surely.

#827 taran

taran

• 1,814 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:32

I don't accept Saward's response. It seems too much of a 'corporate cowardness' or perhaps even outright laziness. Sure, I understand you can't say X is a conman without some evidence to back up your words but journalists are not supposed to be just mouthpieces who just pass on quotes for fear of being sued. If X says he is fronting a sponsor who is willing to put money in a team, its simple basics to check this guy's background. Same as you'd do with any other story. And in this particular case its a FACT that this Mr. X is a convicted fraud/embezzler (see Italian bank case) and that X HAS done the entire 'grandiose plans with money coming soon' trick before. X even recycles the same statements. So it is simply the truth to state that X has a shady past. Add to that that his alleged business address is a pizza parlour and it all seems a scam. Why didn't journalists ask about this. Then X could have explained it or not.

IMO, this whole mess is not because Iljaz claims to want to sponsor Lotus or because Lotus went along but because F1 journalists were unable/unwilling to do their job. Instead, they seem to prefer to travel the world passing on communique's from teams and not rocking the gravy train. And that is the issue that needs to be adressed. I pay for my subscription because I value the journalistic lense through which team statements are filtered. I expect F1 journo's to give me the scoops and the background to the public staments teams hand out. If journo's are not doing their job (and yes, I am also looking at Autosport here) because they are too afraid of legal entanglements when there is no legal reason to be or just plain lazy, how can they be held accountable, short of ending the subscription?

#828 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,382 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:39

^ As someone put it yesterday, too few people have too much power in F1 if the teams would rather piss off the majority of fans than Bernie over the double points issue. If a collective of teams can't stand up, what hope have the journo's got. For this we should cut Joe some slack. But is rant about skills & rights was pathetic.  

#829 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:00

The crazy thing about this really is, the second fastest team in F1 last year needs a massive investment from a third party. Thats just wrong. 

#830 sopa

sopa

• 3,361 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:10

I don't accept Saward's response. It seems too much of a 'corporate cowardness' or perhaps even outright laziness. Sure, I understand you can't say X is a conman without some evidence to back up your words but journalists are not supposed to be just mouthpieces who just pass on quotes for fear of being sued. If X says he is fronting a sponsor who is willing to put money in a team, its simple basics to check this guy's background. Same as you'd do with any other story. And in this particular case its a FACT that this Mr. X is a convicted fraud/embezzler (see Italian bank case) and that X HAS done the entire 'grandiose plans with money coming soon' trick before. X even recycles the same statements. So it is simply the truth to state that X has a shady past. Add to that that his alleged business address is a pizza parlour and it all seems a scam. Why didn't journalists ask about this. Then X could have explained it or not.

IMO, this whole mess is not because Iljaz claims to want to sponsor Lotus or because Lotus went along but because F1 journalists were unable/unwilling to do their job. Instead, they seem to prefer to travel the world passing on communique's from teams and not rocking the gravy train. And that is the issue that needs to be adressed. I pay for my subscription because I value the journalistic lense through which team statements are filtered. I expect F1 journo's to give me the scoops and the background to the public staments teams hand out. If journo's are not doing their job (and yes, I am also looking at Autosport here) because they are too afraid of legal entanglements when there is no legal reason to be or just plain lazy, how can they be held accountable, short of ending the subscription?

I think that is a good response.

Saward seems like a PR-guy of several of these guys, and this is why he gets all those "predictions" wrong, because he is telling what the PR guy is telling him without analyzing further.

I can somewhat understand journo's concern that he may lose 'access' to sources if he is overly critical without evidence to back it up. But then you have to adjust your mindset accordingly and at least avoid making mindless predictions and defend them passionately a'la "but this Ijaz guy told me this is going to happen, how can you doubt? You are not insider!" Just leave it there, Joe, and report only.

#831 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,696 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 20:53

The whole sport is built on dodgy characters and shady deals. That Bernie rumour about how he got his money rears it's head from time to time still. I suppose that if Mr Eccs wants somebody to get involved in the sport (Throw into it a bucketful of money) then it's in his interests not to have journalists digging too deeply how some of these people acquired their money in the first place. Are any of the teams really 'that' clean ? They all seem to get caught cheating periodically.

#832 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,837 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 23:52

Do we know that for a fact?

A deal with a bank that doesn't involve a logo on the car? It's a loan. Remember the Snoras Bank logos appearing on the Renault in 2010... that was because Snoras forced them to if I remember rightly because Renault were owing them some money...

#833 warp

warp

• 308 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:41

Bjørn

All I know is that Saxo is not really big on sponsoring at the moment. They have been barely keeping into cycling for the last two years and this year they came up as second sponsor of Tinkoff-Saxo after Oleg Tinkoff bought the team. They used to be Saxo-Tinkoff.

So yes, probably Lotus owes money to Saxo, lol.

#834 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,767 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 15:04

For me it's totally inexplicable how this guy was even given a team guest pass. I remember there was a case back in the early 2000s when some black guy was promising millions from Reebok because he was big friends with Shaq. I think he even got some running in a F3000 car and then disappeared.

If you are somewhat visible driver from F3 onwards, then there are those promising millions from China and Arab countries with fast made up sites and writing letters with tons of mistakes. It's very unprofessional from Lotus to even be mentioning the name of such scambags.

Dear sir,

I'm reprasentitive for SomeBillionerNameWithMistakes,
We need to invest milions in your racing. Blah, blah, blah.

It's like the Nigerian scam, it's just that this guy is living a good life. He's guest of the team at Monaco, what about that? I remember reading a story about some "footballer" in the 80's, who was friends with Maradona. He had no ability at all, but he was convincing Maradona to offer his services to the teams like Napali and so on. He got to "play" for all these big teams, but he was actually always sidelined with health "issues", he was pretending until the contract was finished. The guy got millions and never got to play a single match.

Edited by ivanalesi, 25 January 2014 - 15:07.

#835 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 372 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 16:46

For me it's totally inexplicable how this guy was even given a team guest pass.

Not at all.

I think it has now become apparent how necessary Ijaz was for Lopez to keep the 'promise of Quantum' story going - as a diversion from unpaid bills and salaries. 

Otherwise the exodus from Lotus, that we see now, would have happened sooner. 

#836 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,767 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 20:11

You might be right, but this terrorist-negotiator-nuclear-engineer-dreamville-investor is wasting their efforts and also such people don't help the image of the team. As a result, Lotus have lost sponsors, they haven't gained anything despite their performance and promise.

#837 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,916 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 22:27

I think that is a good response.

Saward seems like a PR-guy of several of these guys, and this is why he gets all those "predictions" wrong, because he is telling what the PR guy is telling him without analyzing further.

I can somewhat understand journo's concern that he may lose 'access' to sources if he is overly critical without evidence to back it up. But then you have to adjust your mindset accordingly and at least avoid making mindless predictions and defend them passionately a'la "but this Ijaz guy told me this is going to happen, how can you doubt? You are not insider!" Just leave it there, Joe, and report only.

Finally Joe Saward accepts reality as it is in joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/bad-noises-from-enstone/ mentioning "the failure of the Quantum takeover bid" without any reference to his earlier opinions.

#838 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:39

What a bunch of liars? Is it still taking time to transfer money from a bank in one continent to another continent passing through divergent procedures, verifications and referrals? Is that what happens to all inter-continental transfers? All take year-long incubation? The biggest balloon of hot-air BSers..

#839 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,043 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:13

so, an almost certain investment scam is now turning into a "failed takeover bid."       A new spin...  it is pretty creative and legitimizing.   I like it.

Advertisement

#840 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,995 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:55

The comments under the piece are interesting in that they seem to corroborate the stories about staff wanting to leave while they can. It reminds me of the final days of Arrows as I can remember similar tales of people taking whatever jobs they could as the pay cheques were late in coming.

#841 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,358 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:22

so, an almost certain investment scam is now turning into a "failed takeover bid."       A new spin...  it is pretty creative and legitimizing.   I like it.

I am not at all convinced it was a scam like a pyramid-scam is a scam. More like a giant bluff. Like Lotus are still bluffing with sponsordeals that are not real sponsordeals, but actually debts that are being paid off by putting the name of the creditor on the car (ask MustangSally, he knows a lot about it, wrote an excellent post about that I can't be bothered to look up, hey, it's sunday for me too!).

My impression: Iljaz/Quantum thought they a had a minute change to make a huge deal or, at least, get some free publicity while trying to get that minute chance to work out. F1 journalists, even the good ones, seasoned warriors, could not even imagine that a F1 team would be so naive to not see the opportunism of their partners (or Lotus/Gennii were very opportunist themselves).

In particular, Saward, I believe, was being polite and trustworthy towards his sources (like you should be, as a journalist), but I feel he underestimated the real character of F1 and Genii and Iljazz in general, and also as a respected journalist the credibility he gave to Iljazz by merely publishing the story as told. He was being manipulated, and that happens to the best journalists, sometimes... But as Lincoln said: 'You can fool the people some of the time, but not all of the time.'

#842 Anders Torp

Anders Torp

• 524 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 18:00

Is it still taking time to transfer money from a bank in one continent to another continent passing through divergent procedures, verifications and referrals? Is that what happens to all inter-continental transfers? All take year-long incubation?

It takes forever if you haven't got the money...

#843 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,939 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 20:05

I am not at all convinced it was a scam like a pyramid-scam is a scam. More like a giant bluff. Like Lotus are still bluffing with sponsordeals that are not real sponsordeals, but actually debts that are being paid off by putting the name of the creditor on the car (ask MustangSally, he knows a lot about it, wrote an excellent post about that I can't be bothered to look up, hey, it's sunday for me too!).

My impression: Iljaz/Quantum thought they a had a minute change to make a huge deal or, at least, get some free publicity while trying to get that minute chance to work out. F1 journalists, even the good ones, seasoned warriors, could not even imagine that a F1 team would be so naive to not see the opportunism of their partners (or Lotus/Gennii were very opportunist themselves).

In particular, Saward, I believe, was being polite and trustworthy towards his sources (like you should be, as a journalist), but I feel he underestimated the real character of F1 and Genii and Iljazz in general, and also as a respected journalist the credibility he gave to Iljazz by merely publishing the story as told. He was being manipulated, and that happens to the best journalists, sometimes... But as Lincoln said: 'You can fool the people some of the time, but not all of the time.'

To be precise, Lincoln is believed to have said "You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time" A useful lesson for Ijaz Mansoor from his adopted home perhaps.

#844 BRG

BRG

• 11,813 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 21:11

It takes forever if you haven't got the money...

When the Nigerian Royal family contacted me for assistance with a small problem, it took no time at all to transfer funds to them.

What is taking a long time is the reply that they promised me.

#845 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 859 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 21:14

When the Nigerian Royal family contacted me for assistance with a small problem, it took no time at all to transfer funds to them.

What is taking a long time is the reply that they promised me.

I found it was due to complicated banking rules. Now that I have that inheritance coming from the relative I never knew I had, forking out £1000 to to speed things up doesn't seem so bad. Maybe you should try it?

Edited by Maustinsj, 02 February 2014 - 21:15.

#846 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,867 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 22:18

When I sent them written confirmation that they could deduct the £1000 fee from the amount they where promising to send me, they suddenly seemed reluctant to continue with the dialogue.

#847 Module

Module

• 673 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 22:47

When I sent them written confirmation that they could deduct the £1000 fee from the amount they where promising to send me, they suddenly seemed reluctant to continue with the dialogue.

Didn't have any problems with that, you just have to pay the deductionfee

#848 Jvr

Jvr

• 781 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:46

"We have targeted completion at a date between conclusion of the Jerez tests (end January) and the start of Bahrain tests on February 19th."

We are living these target completion days. Any news, anybody?

http://grandprix247....-and-formula-1/

#849 RottenAli

RottenAli

• 61 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 23:20

I would expect a new interview to be taking place very soon with Mr Iljaz, to say that he expects the deal will be completed by the 1st of April.

Edited by RottenAli, 19 February 2014 - 23:21.

#850 DamonHillOfBeans

DamonHillOfBeans

• 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 19:28

The start of the Bahrain test has been and gone, so I await the good news from Lotus and Quantum, followed by Ijaz taking me to task. 

Tick tock, Clarice....