Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Will Fernando Alonso be fit to race in the US GP?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 kimister

kimister

• 2,979 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 17:59

From Adam Cooper on twitter:

@adamcooperf1: '@alo_oficial set off the FIA crash g-force warning light when he hit the kerb battling with VER. That means automatic medical check-up
@adamcooperf1: After being seen in the medical centre @alo_oficial has now gone to hospital. Ferrari says don't worry, it's all routine

I saw this on the twitter. It seems he is alright . Nothing to worry , just for precaution  :up:

Advertisement

#2 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,220 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:19

Not a nice picture but luckily we know the reason

alo0.jpg

http://www.f1-live.hu/media/alo0.jpg

#3 RedBullFan

RedBullFan

• 64 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:05

That picture is impressive. Why did he need to be strapped like that when he was walking freely after the race?

I don't understand.

#4 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:08

That picture is impressive. Why did he need to be strapped like that when he was walking freely after the race?

I don't understand.

AFAIK that's so you don't move in the MRI machine

#5 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:10

#F1 Alonso impact less than 15g. Ferrari g-force sensor not mounted correctly. Thats why the crash warning light (>15g) was triggered.

#6 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:33

I know is off topic but I don't know where to post it.

Fernando is still suffering the consecuences of the accident, according to Carlos Miquel (not the best F1 journalist but close to Fernando) he suffered from dizziness. Is unclear if he will go to Austin, he is willing to delay his fly till tuesday to get more time to recover.

#7 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,642 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:03

I know is off topic but I don't know where to post it.

Fernando is still suffering the consecuences of the accident, according to Carlos Miquel (not the best F1 journalist but close to Fernando) he suffered from dizziness. Is unclear if he will go to Austin, he is willing to delay his fly till tuesday to get more time to recover.

I will pull together the scattered posts and stories about the injury and put it in a thread so people can add updates.

Edited to add: and here we are.

#8 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,642 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:19

Some more context from a couple of days ago from the BBC:

Ferrari say Fernando Alonso will be fit to race in the US Grand Prix despite a back injury.

The US Grand Prix takes place in Austin on 17 November.

Alonso said on Monday that he was still suffering pain in his back.

"The night was so-so," he said. "I will do more tests this afternoon and try to be 100% as soon as possible."

#9 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:45

Who is the Ferrari reserve these days? Fisichella?

#10 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:55

De la Rosa.

#11 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:58

ferrari 2014 - the home of old men with back pain.  :p

get well soon, Alonso  :up:

#12 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:59

I wish Fernando a quick recovery and I hope to see him in Austin at his best!  :)

And I can't wait to hear what Lobato (Antena 3) has to say about it because after his doubts about Kimi's back problems back in Singapore (and afterwards), I'm sure his reaction this time will be totally different. 

#13 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:59

Would be bizarre to watch de la Rosa make yet another cameo comeback at his age, but now with Ferrari.

#14 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:03

Rocky Balboa got knockout-ed?  :cat:

#15 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:07

De la Rosa.

Good question... I would add Gené...

Does anybody know Fisichella, De la Rosa and Gené roles are at Ferrari?  :confused:

#16 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,287 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:16

He suffered an impact so hard nothing broke on the car, and he kept racing at full speed lap after lap?

And now the physical trauma was so much he might not be racing in the penultimate GP?

Le sigh.

#17 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:26

He suffered an impact so hard nothing broke on the car, and he kept racing at full speed lap after lap?

And now the physical trauma was so much he might not be racing in the penultimate GP?

Le sigh.

I guess, went on to continue to race, didn't help. And there is also that helpful, but sometimes also harmful little thing called adrenaline...

#18 string158

string158

• 1,055 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:35

Kobayashi?

#19 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:54

I though I read Alonso posting that the accelerometer triggering the excessive g load forces was found to be deffective (read false readings)

Anyway, nice funeral ceremony put together by his "fans"

:lol:

Advertisement

#20 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:56

Kobayashi?

It would be wonderful. I will never forget how he jumped into a Toyota and drove it like it's his daily driver, to give a storming performance finishing in 9th. Either way I won't get my hopes up, Alonso will definitely be fit to race next week.

#21 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,642 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:09

I though I read Alonso posting that the accelerometer triggering the excessive g load forces was found to be deffective (read false readings)

You may have read it in this very thread:

#F1 Alonso impact less than 15g. Ferrari g-force sensor not mounted correctly. Thats why the crash warning light (>15g) was triggered.

#22 ReeVe

ReeVe

• 178 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:14

well his jump over kerb and subsequent landing were pretty violent, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he picked up an injury even if the sensor was malfuctioning

#23 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:32

well his jump over kerb and subsequent landing were pretty violent, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he picked up an injury even if the sensor was malfuctioning

If they know the sensor reading was incorrect, presumably that's because they know from other telemetry data what the true forces were? Otherwise, if they're just deducing from the fact that the sensor was improperly mounted that the reading would have been wrong, they may have no idea what the actual G-loadings were. I'd have thought it would take quite a hit to make the sensor read 15G whether it was correctly mounted or not. The long and the short of it is the driver has been injured.

Edited by redreni, 07 November 2013 - 13:33.

#24 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:32

It looked violent enough for a brief 15g to me, but in any case g axially up the spine when it's already bent in the silly curved seats they mould is very dangerous, much more so than horizontal g.

Symptoms can develop over time with back injuries, I'm keeping an open mind.

I hope he's OK, but if he's not quite right I do hope they rest him.

#25 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:12

That's strange that the McLaren ECU hasn't triggered the knock out device.  :confused:

At McLaren, if the car suffers a certain impact, the cars shuttt down for safety reasons.

After a crash the driver might be unconcious and trapped inside the car, so the ECU stops the engine [no fuel and energy] to avoid fire.

#26 Zesus

Zesus

• 958 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:27

They can call Kimi to replace him, so Hulkenberg can go to Lotus :p

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:34

Hospitalised. Possibly near death. Yet will race in the next event despite the championship being clinched. Is there no doubt this is the greatest racing driver of all time? 

#28 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 15:12

LOL, imagine if it had happened to Mansell.

#29 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:38

No need to worry about Fernando's health problems... Walker Texas Samurai is perfectly fit...  :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/...505596548546561

#30 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:59

No need to worry about Fernando's health problems... Walker Texas Samurai is perfectly fit...  :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/...505596548546561

Wish i had the photoshop skills to change the "L" to an "N"  :lol:

#31 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 00:10

Wish i had the photoshop skills to change the "L" to an "N"  :lol:

Could this help?  :rotfl:

chuknorris.jpg

#32 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 00:21

Could this help?  :rotfl:

chuknorris.jpg

:lol:  Very good!

#33 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,453 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:04

They should let Fred rest and let Koby take the reign.

Nothing to lose here. 

#34 priestlysabbath

priestlysabbath

• 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:45

Hope he becomes fit to race in Austin.

#35 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:53

Glad he is ok.

#36 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:59

F1-live.hu reports Alonso is under continuous medical supervision and Ferarri is in contact with FIA as well on the matter. They say if the race was this weekend, he wouldn't be able to participate, but they hope he will be fine for next weekend. If not, Kobayashi will race. F1-live is usually a pretty reliable source.

#37 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:10

F1-live.hu reports Alonso is under continuous medical supervision and Ferarri is in contact with FIA as well on the matter. They say if the race was this weekend, he wouldn't be able to participate, but they hope he will be fine for next weekend. If not, Kobayashi will race. F1-live is usually a pretty reliable source.

oh come on... :rotfl: it's the biggest junk site in hungary.

see here: http://forums.autosp...31#entry6484847

#38 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:24

oh come on... :rotfl: it's the biggest junk site in hungary.

see here: http://forums.autosp...31#entry6484847

My experience with the site is different, they report basically everything which is reported in the international press regarding formula 1, and they always give you the source, and suggest if the story is not a fact, but just a rumour. That's good enough for me. They are not to blame if there are people who cannot get the meanings of the words written on the site... 

#39 Britophile

Britophile

• 154 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:39

My experience with the site is different, they report basically everything which is reported in the international press regarding formula 1, and they always give you the source, and suggest if the story is not a fact, but just a rumour. That's good enough for me. They are not to blame if there are people who cannot get the meanings of the words written on the site... 

Come on now, boy :)

F1-live is amongst the worst F1 news portal in the world, period. One of the biggest problems with them is indeed that they never give a source, or an author, or the option for the readers to be able to comment on their bogus pieces - which they happen to publish a lot. I agree with Zava, f1-live is a joke of the worst kind.

Advertisement

#40 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:49

Come on now, boy :)

F1-live is amongst the worst F1 news portal in the world, period. One of the biggest problems with them is indeed that they never give a source, or an author, or the option for the readers to be able to comment on their bogus pieces - which they happen to publish a lot. I agree with Zava, f1-live is a joke of the worst kind.

I guess, we are going to have to differ on that :)

I like that they use not just the English sources, but Italian, Spanish and German sources as well, and they are fast. I have never had any problems distinguishing facts from rumours by using the site. And I definitely like there are no comments section ;) /Which of course, not true, you can comment on their FB site./

Anyway, we are slightly (very) off-topic :)

#41 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:20

"Alonso has had a series of tests this week, all of which showed no injuries, but he is taking anti-inflammatory tablets to reduce the pain in his back.

Ferrari expect the double world champion to be fit to race in the US Grand Prix from 15-17 November but Alonso will have final tests on his back on Tuesday before flying out to Austin, Texas, for the race."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/s...rmula1/24871804

#42 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:49

"Alonso has had a series of tests this week, all of which showed no injuries, but he is taking anti-inflammatory tablets to reduce the pain in his back.

Ferrari expect the double world champion to be fit to race in the US Grand Prix from 15-17 November but Alonso will have final tests on his back on Tuesday before flying out to Austin, Texas, for the race."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/s...rmula1/24871804

He says he's fit, the teams says he is still undergoing tests... I'm getting a little tired of this story... Is it so difficult to have only one version?  :rolleyes:

I always take very seriously anything regarding health issues but I'm having doubts about this case...  :well:

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:36

As - for me at least - variety is the spice of life, I actually hope Alonso isn't able to race the last two GPs just to give us something new to look out for this season, whoever gets substituted in. He's not in the title chase any more so he wouldn't be losing anything.

#44 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,220 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:54

Kamui is an experienced flyer as well

Kamui-Kobayashi-GP-Monaco-2012-fotoshowI

#45 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:58

He says he's fit, the teams says he is still undergoing tests... I'm getting a little tired of this story... Is it so difficult to have only one version?  :rolleyes:

I always take very seriously anything regarding health issues but I'm having doubts about this case...  :well:

Where has Alonso said he´s fit? From his Twitter:

The night was so so, I will do more tests this afternoon and try to be 100% as soon as possible!

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/

So team and Alonso are pretty unanimous on the matter, don't you think?

#46 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,332 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:00

Obviously Kamui Kobayashi should be the one to replace him if Fernando isn't fit. Would be ridiculous if Ferrari have De la Rosa substitute for him.

#47 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:11

Obviously Kamui Kobayashi should be the one to replace him if Fernando isn't fit. Would be ridiculous if Ferrari have De la Rosa substitute for him.

De La Rosa is Ferrari's third driver, period, Kobayashi is not.

#48 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,596 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:20

James Allen is quoting LGdS Pino Allievi that the sub could also be Jules Bianchi.
http://www.jamesalle...ries-2014-seat/

Edited by Jvr, 09 November 2013 - 11:21.

#49 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:22

As - for me at least - variety is the spice of life, I actually hope Alonso isn't able to race the last two GPs just to give us something new to look out for this season, whoever gets substituted in. He's not in the title chase any more so he wouldn't be losing anything.

Alonso would likely lose 2nd in the wdc and Ferrari take a deep slide in the wcc.

Ferrari and Alonso have huge motivation for him to be at the last two races.

#50 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:24

De La Rosa is Ferrari's third driver, period, Kobayashi is not.

Neither was Mika Salo in 1999. There are places in the WCC to worry about. Dropping to fourth could easily cost Domenicali his job. I think they will be thinking about these things, and hoping like hell that Alonso recovers.