- - - - -

2014, Formula Saving?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kvyat

Kvyat

• 31 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:06

So, after these craPirelli years of "tyre saving" show, we can now be heading towards a much more "saving driven" show for the next season.

I personally share Felipe' and Ferrari's fears:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110502

Button seems way too optimistic to me, on the other hand:

http://www.autosport...rce=mostpopular

I can even foresee what would become a radio message classic : "Driver X(Lewis, for instace) back off, don't attack. You need to save your tyres, the engine and fuel"

Endurance racing nowdays, it's pedal to the metal pretty much the whole many hours of it while F1 seems to be going more and more towards the anti-racing of "saving equipament" rather than be 100% push as it was always meant to be.

If my fears become reality, I'll also join the "saving mode" and will save my time from watching it.

I'll watch the first few GPs and if it becomes a farce, I won't bother following the rest.

I thought of creating this thread so we can discuss this issue. Sorry if somebody already opened a thread addressing this theme.

Advertisement

#2 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:09

I guess that means more racing!

#3 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:21

Clearly you've forgotten the refuelling era, when running a car light gained time both on track and at the pitstops, so all drivers would have to save fuel at one point. And of course, the cars still save weight by under-fuelling today. 

It's never been a "100% push". Running slow to preserve your equipment has always been necessary.

#4 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:43

The trouble is that all but the top four teams are or have been in dire financial situations this season, and we could easily lose one or more before next season. I guess we are going to have to wait a while before the saving era of F1 is going to end. I don't like it, but I don't want to see four Ferrari's race four Red Bulls, four Mercedes and four McLarens only. F1 must get through this era of economic austerity in one piece. 

#5 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:50

It's never been a "100% push". Running slow to preserve your equipment has always been necessary.

This.

#6 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 21:04

ISTR that during the previous turbo era, drivers couldn't use full boost all the time, but had to choose when to use it to overtake or defend.

This will be exactly the same, and it will add an interesting tactical problem. A driver can save fuel to attack later.

Just because a driver is using a fuel-saving eingine setting, doesn't mean he isn't driving as fast as he can. Harder tyres will mean that drivers are pushing harder throughout the race, and may not be so afraid to fight for position.

#7 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 23:02

#8 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 00:53

Something nice about hearing James Hunt's commentary.

That also led me on a little wikipedia learning expedition.  I love that stuff.