* * * * * 1 votes

Kimi's 2013 season is over

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
319 replies to this topic

#1 Kimione

Kimione

• 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:02

Kimi's 2013 season is officially over. He is going to back surgery on Thursday 14th of November. After that he needs to rest at least 4 weeks. So he is forced to skip GPs in USA and Brazil..

http://www.ts.fi/moo...aikkosen kauden

Edited by Kimione, 10 November 2013 - 08:03.

Advertisement

#2 johnnyw

johnnyw

• 60 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:05

Such a shame :(

Btw there is actually english version of the article : http://www.ts.fi/moo...up Kimis season

#3 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,503 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:11

Common sense to get this out of the way now so he's fully fit ahead of next season

#4 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:17

Very wise decision.Better to do it now than wait till after the season.

#5 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,715 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:26

By Hekki, so I'm going to assume it is legit.  He has to put his back first of course. 

I haven't heard that Lotus has paid up, so it is possible he wasn't going to finish the season anyway. 

In any case, here's to a rapid recovery!

For my part, I'm glad the whole Lotus ship has sailed.  Goodbye Lotus - You will not be missed.  :wave:

Edited by bourbon, 10 November 2013 - 08:27.

#6 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,484 posts

Maybe Alonso will skip as well...

#7 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Shit end to a season which started so well. I think that if he was paid he would have delayed this surgery (dont believe that it suddenly got that bad)

#8 dreamer

dreamer

• 607 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:28

I think this decision is the best for all parts involved.

#9 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,867 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:29

Wow, this news woke me up better than my inefficient coffee. 

#10 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:33

Shit end to a season which started so well. I think that if he was paid he would have delayed this surgery (dont believe that it suddenly got that bad)

True that. Even if the intentions are benign, this kills many birds with one stone:

1. Gets to make real on his threat to not drive unless he's paid.

2. This will probably ensure that Lotus has less money to compete with in 2014 against Ferrari.

3. If he gets a "doctor's note", Lotus will be unable to stick him with a breach of contract, especially if they originally messed up his seat and inflammed the old injury in the first place. 

Personally, I'm also happy that Davide will get a chance to drive (if he does get the seat). 

#11 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 372 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:40

Asked whether he would be sending Kimi a 'Get Well Soon' card, Eric Boullier replied: "We have drawn up a posting schedule with Kimi's management and talks are progressing. But we expect to send him a card by next Tuesday."

#12 sopa

sopa

• 3,011 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:44

It reminds me a bit of when Villeneuve had a "convenient health problem" in 2006 after which he was sidelined and Kubica was brought it. Certainly the timing is intriguing based on recent events.

#13 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,867 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:47

It reminds me a bit of when Villeneuve had a "convenient health problem" in 2006 after which he was sidelined and Kubica was brought it. Certainly the timing is intriguing based on recent events.

I guess the surgery could have waited 3 or 4 more weeks until the season was over. But probably they didn't want to continue this Lotus saga any longer, which suggests to me that the financial dilemma has not been sorted out. 

#14 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,077 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:55

Sorry for Kimi fans (the man himself probably cares only about 2014). But I can't wait to see Valsecchi. I just hope the surgery goes smooth!

#15 Antonov

Antonov

• 571 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:55

this sucks. 

#16 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,354 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:58

I guess the surgery could have waited 3 or 4 more weeks until the season was over. But probably they didn't want to continue this Lotus saga any longer, which suggests to me that the financial dilemma has not been sorted out. 

The article says that the back pain got worse after Abu Dhabi and he hasn't been able to sleep without painkillers. If he had waited 3-4 weeks he would only have two three weeks to prepare for january tests. 

#17 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:00

I wonder who will be in the seat for the last 2 races.
Valsecchi (I believe he deserves it) or they will already bring in their new driver.

#18 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,867 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:03

Valsecchi (I believe he deserves it) or they will already bring in their new driver.

Honestly I don't have a good feeling about Valsecchi. Smells like a d'Ambrosio case back in Monza 2012. 

They should take the risk of putting Hulk in there. Might not be a wise move from his perspective, without testing the car first, he could be in the same situation as Fisichella in a Ferrari back in 2009. But it's a much better option and a higher chance for Lotus to chase 2nd in WCC and for Hulk to get the seat for 2014 perhaps. 

#19 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:07

It has to be Valsecchi, which will probably gift 2nd place in the constructors to Mercedes.

Advertisement

#20 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 493 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:08

Will be a difficult for Valsecchi to bring points though. Just top 15 would be impressive already when thinking that he has no feel to that car at all.

But right decision for Kimi so he can start working out for 2014 almost right after this season.

#21 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,098 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:13

some people should check about spinal injury and how it can end up before bashing Kimi.

True this might be part of some sort of tactics, who knows but i dont believe so. You dont take a surgery, back surgery of all things, lightly. He needs to recover and be fit by next Feb so there's not much time left really.

#22 nosecone

nosecone

• 805 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:14

Hulkenberg cancelled his contract with Sauber earlier this year... What does this mean for the Lotus seat in the last 2 races?

#23 Radion

Radion

• 828 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:20

Hulkenberg cancelled his contract with Sauber earlier this year... What does this mean for the Lotus seat in the last 2 races?

Hülk is a free agent, theoretically, he could be the one replacing kimi.

I read somewhere though, that sauber still is an option for Hülk for next year. So he might as well want to finish the seson on a high with them instead of going to lotus without knowing the car and the financial situation of lotus regarding their future...

It's going to be valsecchi.

Edited by Radion, 10 November 2013 - 09:21.

#24 krobinson

krobinson

• 202 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:23

some people should check about spinal injury and how it can end up before bashing Kimi.

True this might be part of some sort of tactics, who knows but i dont believe so. You dont take a surgery, back surgery of all things, lightly. He needs to recover and be fit by next Feb so there's not much time left really.

The scary thing is that some people would probably believe that he have the surgery just to get out of his contract :lol: .

A surgery is always something to be concerned about and this will be a sad end to his Lotus career :(

#25 Lights

Lights

• 9,491 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:24

Thought about the same thing. Very convenient. 

#26 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:26

Will he able to race next year?

#27 x600

x600

• 87 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:43

Will he able to race next year?

Of yourse he will. It's a fake story, like Villeneuves headache (someone mentioned it already). Maybe he was thrown out by Lotus, when they realised that he crashed on purpose.

#28 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:44

It looks like the Saturday midnight deadline was not met. So much for that Ijaz guy's statements.

I just wanted to reiterate one point. This is not a simple case of not being able to pay Kimi.  Kimi's gripe has seemed to how he has been taken for a ride by the Lotus management - sort of deceptive and false promises. For many Lotus followers this is not new. We have seen how they confirmed that the Infinity deal was done long time back and then they said Kimi's salary was also paid. Yet, it has emerged until the last Abu Dhabi weekend, Kimi was paying for his flights and cabs himself. This is a guy who put his own money for the whole of his second year in WRC, so please stop saying he quit F1 just so that he could take all of Ferrari's money.

#29 Zava

Zava

• 5,019 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:45

surely some stuff has been said to him in maranello on thursday, other than "hi Kimi", I mean stuff like "we'd be happy if we could be third in the constructors, Kimi", then some pats on the back... :p

anyway, story is fishy to me, and the farewell is not worthy to the (almost) 2 years spent here...

"ferrari 2014 - the home of old men with back pain"

#30 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:49

The surgery was coming anyway after the season.
Why should he wait,now he has few more weeks to get it better after surgery. He has not been payed anyway so IMO better to do it now, and get ready to winter testing.

Edited by jedioriginal, 10 November 2013 - 11:49.

#31 Adelaide

Adelaide

• 205 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:51

Of yourse he will. It's a fake story, like Villeneuves headache (someone mentioned it already). Maybe he was thrown out by Lotus, when they realised that he crashed on purpose.

You seriously think the back pain / surgery story is fake? Sure the timing may have been brought forward but I don't think Kimi would lie about something like this. His ongoing back issues are well documented after all.

#32 Module

Module

• 673 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:52

"ferrari 2014 - the home of old men with back pain"

Maybe Ferrari get a loyal customer discount with two cases of backissues? Something fishy about both drivers maybe skipping the rest of the season....

Can a Kimi vs Fernando thread be opened? They already started competing in backpains, who does it better? Is Kimi getting an unfair advantage as he started before Fred? Whos "pitstop" is faster?

Edited by Module, 10 November 2013 - 09:56.

#33 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,818 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:59

Probably best for both. Kimi lost motivation, and this might save Lotus a few millions anyway.

#34 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,354 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:07

Probably best for both. Kimi lost motivation, and this might save Lotus a few millions anyway.

Even his back is unmotivated :D

#35 Oldie

Oldie

• 88 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:09

Sad to hear, but if he can't sleep without meds it is understandable.

And the point is to be as fit as possible when the next season tests begin.
The article says it will take 4 weeks from the surgery to be allowed to move (?), anyone who has the experience being immobile from bone or joint related surgery knows how fast the muscles and flexibility will degenerate. That four weeks is the lay down time from the surgery, then the rehab begins, which depending from the surgery, will take weeks.
How big the surgery is, both in time and amount of repair, doesn't go hand in hand with how long you have to rehab.
Anyone who has had ACL surgery can tell you that.

This back issue was there before the pay issue, and then it got worse in Singapore. Had it not been this pay issue no one would question this move. And the pay issue is all down to the Genii/Lotus.

The back has to be repaired, had he been paid or not. Now we have to hope the surgery is successful.

Now, let us see what Lotus will do with their statements.
Will they launch full shitstorm at a man who is not present do defend himself in coming weeks?

Edited by Oldie, 10 November 2013 - 10:10.

#36 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,007 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:12

I think that even Kimi doesn't know the truth. He has this back problem. Lotus have not payed him. He probably loathes the idea of driving another race for them. In that view, the operation should take place NOW. One could say that the circumstances prime him into this decision.

For the rest, I agree with the 'convenient' commetns. 

#37 Risil

Risil

• 13,962 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:14

If Lotus sign up Hulkenburg, who could get the call from Sauber? Frijns?

With Grosjean driving like he is I don't think Lotus will miss Kimi.

Edited by Risil, 10 November 2013 - 10:17.

#38 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 713 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:16

I'll miss him in Austin and Interlagos but it's a wise decision. The sooner the better. I wish him a full recovery. :up:

I can't wait to see him back at Ferrari.  :p

#39 swerved

swerved

• 3,622 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:16

Sad to hear, but if he can't sleep without meds it is understandable.

And the point is to be as fit as possible when the next season tests begin.
The article says it will take 4 weeks from the surgery to be allowed to move (?), anyone who has the experience being immobile from bone or joint related surgery knows how fast the muscles and flexibility will degenerate. That four weeks is the lay down time from the surgery, then the rehab begins, which depending from the surgery, will take weeks.
How big the surgery is, both in time and amount of repair, doesn't go hand in hand with how long you have to rehab.
Anyone who has had ACL surgery can tell you that.

This back issue was there before the pay issue, and then it got worse in Singapore. Had it not been this pay issue no one would question this move. And the pay issue is all down to the Genii/Lotus.

The back has to be repaired, had he been paid or not. Now we have to hope the surgery is successful.

Now, let us see what Lotus will do with their statements.
Will they launch full shitstorm at a man who is not present do defend himself in coming weeks?

I would say its imminent, so expect it around 2017 because shitstorms are not the work of a moment.

Advertisement

#40 spaceace1977

spaceace1977

• 106 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:21

what about kovalainen replacing kimi?

he is the only experienced (race winning) driver available with numerous fp1 outings this year..

#41 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,007 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:23

I think, indeed, Kovalinen would be the best idea.

#42 as65p

as65p

• 17,349 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:25

Well, let's look at it this way: I don't believe he'd even have thought about doing the surgery now (instead of between seasons) if he were not to leave Lotus at the end of the year.

#43 george1981

george1981

• 770 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:27

he is the only experienced (race winning) driver available with numerous fp1 outings this year..

That would be a good call, he's driven for the team before when they were Renault so might be familiar with some of their people and procedures.

#44 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,354 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:30

He is definitely the best choice at the moment. 

#45 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 161 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:34

somehow I doubt they can afford to bring someone else in :p

Valsecchi will need to do a lot of running in practice to get up to speed so be interesting to see if he can. (I will lol hard if he beats Grosjean, expect Bullier's head would explode if he did :p)

#46 JeePee

JeePee

• 508 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:36

Kimi doesn't want to go to the FIA Gala.

#47 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,773 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:41

If Lotus sign up Hulkenburg, who could get the call from Sauber? Frijns?

With Grosjean driving like he is I don't think Lotus will miss Kimi.

Frijns is no longer the team's test driver, Sirotkin has no Superlicence, so - Pedro de la Rosa again? I can't see Lotus using anyone but Valsecchi as a substitute, though.

#48 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 372 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:45

somehow I doubt they can afford to bring someone else in :p

Valsecchi will need to do a lot of running in practice to get up to speed so be interesting to see if he can. (I will lol hard if he beats Grosjean, expect Bullier's head would explode if he did :p)

What about Mansoor Ijaz' brother, Mujeeb, stepping in? He is said to hold a land speed record at Bonneville in a battery car. This would be a nice opportunity for Lotus to work closely with their new technology partners.

Edited by MustangSally, 10 November 2013 - 10:46.

#49 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,965 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:45

Maybe Alonso will skip as well...

Lol,if even the drivers "don't" want  to race,imagine my motivation to continue and watch those races.

#50 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,297 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:48

Spare a thought for Sith.
He's flying out to Austin from OZ to see his favourite driver....

Jp