Kimi's 2013 season is over

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
319 replies to this topic

#51 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,191 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:51

@alanbaldwinf1: You'd think Lotus might have delayed issuing their race preview on Friday if there was an imminent risk of surgery.
@alanbaldwinf1: "We should have a much longer race in Austin," said Kimi. "I'm particularly looking forward to this one..."

As for me, I hope Kimi's surgery goes well and he's back fighting fully fit for next season.

Advertisement

#52 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,773 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:52

Quite apart from the effects of this decision on this season, I hope Räikkönen's surgery is successful and that he is back (ha) to full fitness for next season - it would be a great shame for his return to Ferrari and showdown with Alonso to be compromised by physical problems.

#53 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 493 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:57

Quite apart from the effects of this decision on this season, I hope Räikkönen's surgery is successful and that he is back (ha) to full fitness for next season - it would be a great shame for his return to Ferrari and showdown with Alonso to be compromised by physical problems.

He has done several back-surgeries in the past (already in his McLaren times) and he's been fine after that. I think the last one was during his rallying career. Maybe now they want to fix it for good.

Edited by Miggeex, 10 November 2013 - 10:58.

#54 swerved

swerved

• 3,622 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:57

What about Mansoor Ijaz' brother, Mujeeb, stepping in? He is said to hold a land speed record at Bonneville in a battery car. This would be a nice opportunity for Lotus to work closely with their new technology partners.

I can see positives in that, but negatives also, Being "Ijaz" batteries i wonder if their batteries are rated in Billiamp hours rather than Mah.

#55 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,852 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:58

Is probably for the best, good luck with the surgery. :up:

#56 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,516 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:59

Kimi doesn't want to go to the FIA Gala.

Extreme measure, but each to their own.  :rotfl:

#57 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,773 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:00

He has done several back-surgeries in the past (already in his McLaren times) and he's been fine after that. I think the last one was during his rallying career. Maybe now they want to fix it for good.

Well, if he's needed to have several surgeries, then he hasn't really been fine afterwards, in the long-term at least. Hopefully this latest procedure will be more effective, as you say.

#58 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,251 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:03

@alanbaldwinf1: You'd think Lotus might have delayed issuing their race preview on Friday if there was an imminent risk of surgery.
@alanbaldwinf1: "We should have a much longer race in Austin," said Kimi. "I'm particularly looking forward to this one..."

As for me, I hope Kimi's surgery goes well and he's back fighting fully fit for next season.

Taking into consideration where and how the news broke through (Turun Sanomat, Robertson and not a Lotus' press release), I suspect Lotus got the news today morning, like verybody else, reading the newspaper.

#59 Wander

Wander

• 2,280 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:05

Wow, I'm actually very, very surprised about this. Hopefully it's for the best in the end, but I think it's a big shame to have him end his Lotus career this way.

Advertisement

#60 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,156 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:07

Hulk isn't contracted to Sauber though - he could just move now, no? Maybe Lotus can lend Valsecchi to Sauber as well?

#61 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,865 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:08

Taking into consideration where and how the news broke through (Turun Sanomat, Robertson and not a Lotus' press release), I suspect Lotus got the news today morning, like verybody else, reading the newspaper.

If that's the case, it gives Lotus roughly 4 days to arrange for a replacement driver, while preparing for transportation and logistics at the same time. Not very fair if he didn't tell them in advance, but then again the team hasn't been very fair towards him either. 

A very sad end. . They achieved quite impressive results together, and I'm sure not many people expected immediate podiums back in 2012. 

#62 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,773 posts

After reading this news, plus the investigations in the Quantum thread, and the continuing lack of a confirmation of either the deal between Lotus and Quantum, or Hülkenberg being signed, I'm increasingly concerned about the team's future, and even survival.

#63 P123

P123

• 8,412 posts

No doubt certain promises haven't been met, again, so you can't blame Kimi for turning his attention towards next season to ensure he is fully prepared for his new employers who will actually be paying him.

#64 steferrari

steferrari

• 278 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:09

Valsecchi please !

#65 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,865 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:10

After reading this news, plus the investigations in the Quantum thread, and the continuing lack of a confirmation of either the deal between Lotus and Quantum, or Hülkenberg being signed, I'm increasingly concerned about the team's future, and even survival.

At this stage, we're merely talking about their survival. They're in a very difficult situation. 

#66 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,183 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:11

Good choice. I suspect he would have finished the season if all was well between him and Lotus, but even if that broken relationship is the reason to have the surgery now, it's probably for the best. From what I've heard and read of his problem, it's best not to let it go unattended for too long.

#67 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:12

It's too much of a coincidence to be entirely medical, surely.  Though I daresay the back problem and surgery are genuine.

Serves Genii right IMO.

And now how do Lotus convince Hulk or anyone else that they'll get paid?

#68 Sin

Sin

• 1,952 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:13

mhhhhh :D Hülkenberg to Lotus and Nick Heidfeld to Sauber (for those last 2 races) *dreams*

#69 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,920 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:14

Shame to hear such news. Get well soon Kimi!

Lotus will probably put Valsecchi in. They stated many times that Valsecchi has the speed to be in F1. It's not wise to put Hulkenberg in the car already, though the Lotus isn't as difficult to drive as the F60 was in 2009, a Fisichella scenario could still happen where he's miles off the pace compared to Grosjean.

#70 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,251 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:21

If that's the case, it gives Lotus roughly 4 days to arrange for a replacement driver, while preparing for transportation and logistics at the same time. Not very fair if he didn't tell them in advance, but then again the team hasn't been very fair towards him either.

A very sad end. . They achieved quite impressive results together, and I'm sure not many people expected immediate podiums back in 2012.

Well, I was exaggerating a little bit, maybe somebody in the team did know it -at least half an hour before Robertson phoned Turun Sanomat- but I agree with Baldwin and I find weird no press release has come out from Lotus yet.

#71 Module

Module

• 673 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:21

Probably they agreed on a deadline before Abu Dhabi and when Lotus missed it Robertson called Kulta. So yes, I would guess that Lotus read it from the paper but knew it might happen. Maybe they hoped on Kimi still driving as he has given them new chances in the past....

#72 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,191 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:26

Alan Baldwin also had this to say, which has a few implications, depending on how straight a bat you choose to think Alan is playing with here:

@alanbaldwinf1: Was Kimi sitting comfortably for his seat fitting at Ferrari on Thursday, I wonder?

#73 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,865 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:30

This is a tragic loss for both parties. Lotus can kiss good bye to second place in the constructors and 3rd in WDC. 

As for the replacement I would expect them to go for a test driver or anyone with money, who would like to buy two races. I doubt they will call back Nick Heidfeld. In the ideal world, I would like to see them give Kobayashi a shot but that is very unlikely. 

#74 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:32

They should give Davide Valsecchi the chance to show what he can do in the next 2 GPs.

#75 Module

Module

• 673 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:33

Oskari Saari tweeted that Lotus PR got the information from him!!!

#76 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,617 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:37

"He'll be back"

#77 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:38

This also precludes Lotus from trying to "persuade" him to reconsider like they did in AD.

#78 Spillage

Spillage

• 928 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:41

The timing naturally raises eyebrows, but given that we don't know the extent of the injury or the nature of the surgery we cannot say that Raikkonen's fallout with Lotus is not just coincidence; if it is true he is needing painkillers to sleep then I understand 100% his desire to correct the problem as soon as possible.

I wonder if this will prompt Lotus into rapidly signing Hulkenberg, if they can. Under normal circumstances I don't doubt they'd but Valsecchi in the car but with the fight for second in the WCC so intense they need all the points they can get.

Just another thought; could the back injury perhaps explain Raikkonen's comparably weak performances in the past several races? Certainly he's not been on the form he was on at the start of the year.

#79 Niceone

Niceone

• 640 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:43

Maybe Hulkenberg to Lotus and Sirotkin to drive Sauber (they can buy him super licence)

Advertisement

#80 Module

Module

• 673 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:44

This also precludes Lotus from trying to "persuade" him to reconsider like they did in AD.

I think it's a matter of keeping your word...you can't make threats forewer without executing them at some point and obviously Kimi gave an ultimatum before Abu Dhabi, got promises that didn't stick and drew his conqlusions. I would suspect there is a lawsuit imminent.

#81 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:45

The article says it will take 4 weeks from the surgery to be allowed to move (?), anyone who has the experience being immobile from bone or joint related surgery knows how fast the muscles and flexibility will degenerate. That four weeks is the lay down time from the surgery, then the rehab begins, which depending from the surgery, will take weeks.
How big the surgery is, both in time and amount of repair, doesn't go hand in hand with how long you have to rehab.
Anyone who has had ACL surgery can tell you that.

No surgery here but some serious shoulder problems. Visited a doctor this week and he said it takes two weeks for muscles to start degenerating when something is broken. So, if he must lay down and stand by for 4 to 5 weeks > The only reasonable timing for seat fitting in Maranello and surgery is right about now. Good call...

Edited by Sammyosammy, 10 November 2013 - 11:46.

#82 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,617 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:48

Just another thought; could the back injury perhaps explain Raikkonen's comparably weak performances in the past several races? Certainly he's not been on the form he was on at the start of the year.

Can of worms!

#83 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,251 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:48

Alan Baldwin also had this to say, which has a few implications, depending on how straight a bat you choose to think Alan is playing with here:

@alanbaldwinf1: Was Kimi sitting comfortably for his seat fitting at Ferrari on Thursday, I wonder?

Probably, Ferrari are the ones to get the most profit out of this mess. Because that takes a high-points-scorer away from one of their main competitors for the WCC and because the earlier Räikkönen gets the surgery -which seemed to have been planned, anyway-, the earlier he could be fit to drive a Ferrari.

If I were Ferrari, and if the last of Lotus' promises to Räikkönen weren't fulfilled (again), I would be telling him sweet things to convince him to do right what he's decided to do.

#84 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 750 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:50

Think it's gotta be Valsecchi to replace him, but I seriously doubt he's going to convince anyone to give him a race seat.

Hope Kimis op goes alright and sorts him out though.

#85 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:12

Let's hope his wallet is allright.

#86 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,865 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:12

Think it's gotta be Valsecchi to replace him, but I seriously doubt he's going to convince anyone to give him a race seat.

The only way Valsecchi will convince Lotus is if he finishes in the top 5 in both races. This will be heavily dependant on how much time he's been spending in the simulator. He's got 6 years of experience in GP2 which is pretty good. However, from what I've read, F1 cars are quite different from those in GP2. Either way, I welcome him to be the dark horse next weekend. 

#87 Niceone

Niceone

• 640 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:13

Unfortunately this might be his only chance to do that

#88 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,865 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:15

Let's hope his wallet is allright.

He got a full year's Ferrari salary 2010 despite not racing. Besides that, F1 drivers have a very demanding job and don't really get many opportunities to blow money on things like cocaine - so I'd imagine Kimi isn't exactly struggling financially.

#89 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,180 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:17

Well that was unexpected. I wonder who will take his place then?

#90 John Player

John Player

• 435 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:19

Is Nick Heidfeld available? :lol:

#91 Zesus

Zesus

• 315 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:20

I'm really sad about this. :cry: Goodbye 2013 season. I hoped for better ending with Lotus.

#92 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 372 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:30

...you can't make threats forever without executing them at some point and obviously Kimi gave an ultimatum before Abu Dhabi, got promises that didn't stick and drew his conclusions. I would suspect there is a lawsuit imminent.

That is a very dark thought, Module. Obviously Kimi would not want to be around should bailiffs visit Lotus garage. But it is a lot of money and he has to extract this before other disillusioned creditors start processes. It's like a run on an insolvent bank, you have to be first in the queue.

#93 Module

Module

• 673 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:40

That is a very dark thought, Module. Obviously Kimi would not want to be around should bailiffs visit Lotus garage. But it is a lot of money and he has to extract this before other disillusioned creditors start processes. It's like a run on an insolvent bank, you have to be first in the queue.

True. Hopefully this isn't the Go for other creditor rumoured to have not been paid. I genuinely fear for Lotus future

#94 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:43

The only way Valsecchi will convince Lotus is if he finishes in the top 5 in both races. This will be heavily dependant on how much time he's been spending in the simulator. He's got 6 years of experience in GP2 which is pretty good. However, from what I've read, F1 cars are quite different from those in GP2. Either way, I welcome him to be the dark horse next weekend.

Nääh,he will be atleast second slower than Grosjean,he has no chance.When was the last time he has driven that Lotus? Don't get me wrong,im happy if he gets the chance ,but without testing he will not impress no one.

#95 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 13:05

You have to feel for Boulier - he's been putting out fires the whole season and this is one more complication. Very little of it seems to be in his hands. 

#96 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,865 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 13:10

Kimi jumping into a mini van and leaving the circuit right after his DNF was rather chilling. He didn't bother staying around and I'm sure he headed straight for the airport and is now unlikely to ever set another foot into Lotus HQ. All communication with the team is likely to now go through his manager and lawyer.

#97 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,251 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 13:10

Boullier says Räikkönen phoned yesterday night to tell  (according to Benson)

edit: Benson does not specify whom Räikkönen phoned

Edited by artista, 10 November 2013 - 13:11.

#98 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,171 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 13:11

The entire lotus position is very murky and questionable, which is worrying for f1 given the position of them as one of the top teams in performance. Merc must be huge favourites for the second position in the constructors now.

As for Kimi. Just have to hope he recovers well. Back problems are notorious for being difficult to sort out

#99 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 13:18

Anyone else looking forward to the #bunnylovin tweet. 

Advertisement

#100 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,865 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 13:20

The entire lotus position is very murky and questionable, which is worrying for f1 given the position of them as one of the top teams in performance. 

My guess is that they have overspent whilst chasing the title with the big boys - at the expense of paying Kimi which is probably the only member of staff who's salary they can delay without the person suffering financial consequences. It's a strategy but it's not right.