* * * * * 1 votes

Kimi's 2013 season is over

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
319 replies to this topic

#251 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,274 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 17:05

sounds like you know about these conditions... how do they fix them?  invasive procedures with rods and screws or just some sort of realignment? 

They can do a ton of things with bone, ligaments, screws, rods and sutures. The problem with the rib/vertibra-joint is most likely due to a torn ligament so it's likely it gets sewn back in it's place. If a nerve is pinched do to a herniated disc they might cut a piece of the disc out. 

Advertisement

#252 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,274 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 17:12

Then why he started the race on Sunday? I guess neither that 300m ride in the race and nor the tackle from Caterham causing his serious pains. He looked pretty fit when he stepped out of his car.

Anyway it's a bit strange that he hit his back on Saturday (Nov. 2.), and on Nov 8th the team released a report with Kimi and he stated he will be in Austin in a short version of E21. And finally after 1 week it turned out he has to go to surgery immediately so he has to skip the remaining races. I don't eat this.

I guess the team has not fulfilled again what they promised last week (via Quantum representative) and now it's a good excuse to leave the ship right now and not mentioning he has not been paid yet again and again.

Methylprednisolone and lidocaine injections work wonders in the short term, but you can't pump that stuff 24/7.

#253 wrcva

wrcva

• 978 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 17:48

They can do a ton of things with bone, ligaments, screws, rods and sutures. The problem with the rib/vertibra-joint is most likely due to a torn ligament so it's likely it gets sewn back in it's place. If a nerve is pinched do to a herniated disc they might cut a piece of the disc out. 

thanks!

#254 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 18:02

http://www.jamesalle...ries-2014-seat/

Nov 8th, Maranello revisited

Meanwhile Ferrari’s “insurance policy” driver for next season, Kimi Raikkonen, had his first visit yesterday [Nov 8th] to Maranello since he left the team at the end of 2009. He had a brief meeting with Montezemolo and team boss Stefano Domenicali and met some of the staff.

#255 redreni

redreni

• 2,301 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 18:35

Kubica isn't in shape most likely (neck especially) and he hasn't touched F1 cars in a long time. And he wouldn't probably even fit in the car since he's so tall and it's designed to a lot shorter Kimi.

I think that in this WCC situation when it's crucial to have a driver with experience with 2013 cars and tyres, they'll go with someone experienced such as a test driver of some team who has been doing laps in FP's.

Kubica wouldn‘t fit in the car, on more than one dimension probably. Plus I imagine they‘ll be looking for someone with full use of both hands. It would be quite a story, but no.

#256 racerbaz

racerbaz

• 47 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 18:37

Thought about the same thing. Very convenient. 

Yeh and hardly admirable.

#257 ZZei

ZZei

• 418 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 18:47

Yeh and hardly admirable.

Getting your back operated is now an excuse not to race? Got to love this pessimism.

#258 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 23:39

Dont blame Raikkonen.   It is likely he will not get paid anyway for this season's work.   So between risking injuring his back even further or getting ready for his new job at Ferrari, I think it was an easy decision.

#259 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,255 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:38

It's too much of a coincidence to be entirely medical, surely.  Though I daresay the back problem and surgery are genuine.

Serves Genii right IMO.

And now how do Lotus convince Hulk or anyone else that they'll get paid?

I don't understand.  Some drivers are 'pay' drivers and the Lotus is a good car.  Why do people act like driving it is torture?  Most people would kill to drive such a competitive F1 car, even if they didn't earn a cent.  And Kimi knew he always would get payed (he can sue?).. it's just a matter of if he can survive and afford to live.. until he does get paid.  And since he isn't a working class battler, but a millionaire F1 driver.. I'd assume he can.

Advertisement

#260 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,799 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:44

I don't understand.  Most people would kill to drive such a competitive F1 car, even if they didn't earn a cent.  

Not for only the final two races of a season. Only those who are desperate for an F1 drive will even consider it, and that's if they get promised to be paid. It's a huge risk for anyone to take. Drivers who have nothing to lose are the exception. 

#261 Oho

Oho

• 7,532 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:09

Not for only the final two races of a season. Only those who are desperate for an F1 drive will even consider it, and that's if they get promised to be paid. It's a huge risk for anyone to take. Drivers who have nothing to lose are the exception. 

That's not his point, his point is that Räikkönen is the villain for not driving for free with bust back.

#262 autosportfan

autosportfan

• 274 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:22

I don't understand.  Some drivers are 'pay' drivers and the Lotus is a good car.  Why do people act like driving it is torture?  Most people would kill to drive such a competitive F1 car, even if they didn't earn a cent.  And Kimi knew he always would get payed (he can sue?).. it's just a matter of if he can survive and afford to live.. until he does get paid.  And since he isn't a working class battler, but a millionaire F1 driver.. I'd assume he can.

Most drivers would make sure that they are fit to drive a Ferrari if they ever get that opportunity.

#263 basjaski

basjaski

• 32 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:41

Then why he started the race on Sunday? I guess neither that 300m ride in the race and nor the tackle from Caterham causing his serious pains. He looked pretty fit when he stepped out of his car.

Anyway it's a bit strange that he hit his back on Saturday (Nov. 2.), and on Nov 8th the team released a report with Kimi and he stated he will be in Austin in a short version of E21. And finally after 1 week it turned out he has to go to surgery immediately so he has to skip the remaining races. I don't eat this.

I guess the team has not fulfilled again what they promised last week (via Quantum representative) and now it's a good excuse to leave the ship right now and not mentioning he has not been paid yet again and again.

I see it like this (massive Kimi fan BTW):

Had Kimi been in the title fight still, he would 100% have waited on the surgery until the season end. Right now the title fight is decided however. Last year Kimi said he'd rather finish 4th than 2nd or 3rd in the WDC so he wouldn't have to go to the WDC prize giving thing (yet he still raced as hard as he could and finished in 3rd). He hasn't been paid by Lotus still, and the abuse from Permane/other staff, the constant lies, and the back pain (which needed surgery anyhow), all contributed to him (+ Robertsons) deciding he'll sit out the next 2 races and get surgery earlier so to be more fit for next year.

This way conveniently secure 3rd for Ferrari (and a chance at 2nd), and Lotus having even less cash that they desperately need (difference between 2nd and 4th is what, £25-30 mil?). Simultaneously putting his team in a better position next year and the team that shafted him, also gets shafted legally. 2 birds one stone.

I don't think there's any secrets in this, and don't understand the pushing by others. Do you others want to hear us saying that he abandoned poor Lotus? :rotfl:

#264 basjaski

basjaski

• 32 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:45

Dont blame Raikkonen.   It is likely he will not get paid anyway for this season's work.   So between risking injuring his back even further or getting ready for his new job at Ferrari, I think it was an easy decision.

+1 

If Lotus goes belly up it becomes a whole lot more difficult to get his monies from Genii Capital. 

Kubica wouldn‘t fit in the car, on more than one dimension probably. Plus I imagine they‘ll be looking for someone with full use of both hands. It would be quite a story, but no.

If it's not Valsecchi (which will be rediculous btw, what is the point in being the reserve driver then?).

#265 motorhead

motorhead

• 887 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:47

I don´t understand this, so are you saying everyone should drive for free...I wonder what Alonso or Hamilton would say to that. Agreement is an agreement, both parties should do according to that. Kimi has done his half, Lotus hasn´t. It is simple as that! If someone doesn´t follow the agreement then he is breaking it. That is what Lotus does at the moment...

#266 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:37

So this petulant child don't appreciate the priviledge of driving Lotus F1 car for a moderate cost of airfare and lodging, therefore uses sore back as an excuse? Burn him.

#267 Jvr

Jvr

• 663 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:41

Lopez has spoken to Die Welt admitting that it hurts a lot that Kimi is not driving last two races. Also making claims that salaries have always been paid...

http://www.welt.de/s...Saison-Aus.html

#268 Oho

Oho

• 7,532 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:45

Lopez has spoken to Die Welt admitting that it hurts a lot that Kimi is not driving last two races. Also making claims that salaries have always been paid...

Maybe Räikkönen is not a salaried employee. I thought it likely he was but perhaps he is not. If Räikkönen had been paid, the rebuttal  of his claims made  in Abu Dhabi would have been immediate.

Edited by Oho, 12 November 2013 - 09:51.

#269 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:47

He's not making any claims re: KR's salaries, he's talking about the rest of the organization.

#270 Jvr

Jvr

• 663 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:54

He's not making any claims re: KR's salaries, he's talking about the rest of the organization.

I actually did not read it like that at all rather than as leaving it open when they are paid. So in my opinion he is saying salaries have always been paid, including Kimi's but not saying they have or will be paid on schedule...

#271 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,479 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:58

So any news on who's doing the final 2 races? Bit bizarre that people seem to think it's not Valsecchi as it wasn't announced immediately, but then there's no rumours at all about other drivers neither.

#272 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:58

I actually did not read it like that at all rather than as leaving it open when they are paid. So in my opinion he is saying salaries have always been paid, including Kimi's but not saying they have or will be paid on schedule...

Yeah, I guess it's possible to read it like that.

#273 basjaski

basjaski

• 32 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:12

So this petulant child don't appreciate the priviledge of driving Lotus F1 car for a moderate cost of airfare and lodging, therefore uses sore back as an excuse? Burn him.

You're right. Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel et all should take example and return their salary immediately, bow down and kiss the feet of the team owners, call them God Overlord and vow their undying loyalty and should work for free forever because of the privilege

:rolleyes: . 

#274 Oho

Oho

• 7,532 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:14

You're right. Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel .......

Sarcasm is a b****....

Edited by Oho, 12 November 2013 - 10:20.

#275 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 461 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:41

I bet that every driver (even Kimi) would gladly drive F1 for free if they would only have to come for the race-event. And they could just leave straight after that, in privacy without anyone knowing you/paying attention to who you are. (Though the teams would have to pay for the flights etc. No one can afford doing that forever without getting money.)

Believe me, it would get really boring for everyone of you just to drive alone around the track for hours. They did do that when testing was allowed and I've heard so many of them saying that they were bored to death after a while.

I remember the interview when Alonso and Webber were interviewing each other and both talked in a way that they'd be glad to skip Friday completely since it's so boring.

I don't know if this is going slightly to off-topic. Kind of not and kind of yes.  :drunk:

#276 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,479 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:49

Has he been paid, I haven't seen anything about that. 

I don't know, and haven't seen anything concrete in either direction for a little while. Was just airing a thought I had. :)

#277 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,703 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:01

I bet that every driver (even Kimi) would gladly drive F1 for free if they would only have to come for the race-event. And they could just leave straight after that, in privacy without anyone knowing you/paying attention to who you are. (Though the teams would have to pay for the flights etc. No one can afford doing that forever without getting money.)

Believe me, it would get really boring for everyone of you just to drive alone around the track for hours. They did do that when testing was allowed and I've heard so many of them saying that they were bored to death after a while.

I remember the interview when Alonso and Webber were interviewing each other and both talked in a way that they'd be glad to skip Friday completely since it's so boring.

I don't know if this is going slightly to off-topic. Kind of not and kind of yes.  :drunk:

Jan Lammers (in F1 between 1979 and 1982 and again in 199?), once told in an interview that he often was dizzy from the amount of laps he drove in practice. The races itself seemed short in comparison....

But I don't agree with the rest of your assertion that drivers would drive for free if it were just the races. I think that, despite that F1 is not as dangerous as it used to be, racing is an extreme attack on the emotions. It really takes a lot out of drivers, to trust their lives, their bones and marrows to the car and with that, to the people who have built and prepared the car.

Niki Lauda describes this very well in his autobiography 'Protocol'. If the team puts pressure on you, if as a F1 driver you don't trust the people you work with, if you feel that you are being used as a monkey in a space-program... then the motivation to race disappears.

I find the similarities betwee Niki Lauda's last year at Ferrari - he stopped the 1977 season two races before the end - and Kimi's situation at Lotus comically similar. Both had health issues that were bearable... but not in combination with the relationships as they were in the team.

#278 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,029 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:22

Lotus wont use Valsecchi RT @JavieRubioF1: "Lotus no utilizará a Davide Valsecchi" bit.ly/17RpNSk hoy en @elconfidencial @ECdeportes

#279 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,872 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:09

This is the sport in which Nikki Lauda was racing 6 weeks after they thought he had burned to death.

Kimi strikes me as a tough, old school kinda guy who would be getting into his Lotus on Friday if he wanted to.

That said, having not been paid, I really, really don't blame Kimi for giving Lotus the middle finger and getting himself ready for 2014. 

Advertisement

#280 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,872 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:12

That's not his point, his point is that Räikkönen is the villain for not driving for free with bust back.

A poster can only really hold this position if they are genuinely prepared to go to their work without getting paid with a bust back. Its academic if driving an F1 car is perceived to be such a privilege. Principles are principles. 

#281 Oho

Oho

• 7,532 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:21

This is the sport in which Nikki Lauda was racing 6 weeks after they thought he had burned to death.

Kimi strikes me as a tough, old school kinda guy who would be getting into his Lotus on Friday if he wanted to.

That said, having not been paid, I really, really don't blame Kimi for giving Lotus the middle finger and getting himself ready for 2014. 

I think this was rather poignantly touched by 'Nemo1965' in message #277.

"I find the similarities betwee Niki Lauda's last year at Ferrari - he stopped the 1977 season two races before the end - and Kimi's situation at Lotus comically similar. Both had health issues that were bearable... but not in combination with the relationships as they were in the team."

#282 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:27

Makes sense.  :up:

Edited by SpaMaster, 12 November 2013 - 14:28.

#283 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 464 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 19:13

Surely they must know who's going to be racing for them weekend? Usually everybody arrives at the track by Thursday,

#284 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 19:18

Has to be an announcement tonight or early tomorrow. 

#285 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 00:13

In 2006 he had surgery on hairline fractures in vertibrae, 2010 it was a herniated disc and now it is a problem with rib/vertibra-joint or rib/transverse process-joint or both.

If that is the case really he should not be driving F1 or doing rallying. Or Nascar either.
He is probably fit enough to drive the cars but not fit enough to crash them. Which happens all to frequently. Tin tops with upright seats and more suspension should be ok, though even then the crashes hurt too much.
A scenario I suffer from myself with back injurys. Though I am 20 years older

#286 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:07

These Lotus guys are some of the dumbest people ever.  Their business plan is to try to be a top team in F1 and to try and finish the season in 2nd or 3rd place this year. And in a great part their teams very survival depends on the prize money and the investments that a good finish could bring.  

Then these geniuses proceed to take the one guy in the whole organization that can make or break the teams success and completely alienate him through public statements, not so funny 'funny' cartoons - one even on his birthday, refusal to pay his salary, and then berating him over the team radio to be broadcast worldwide to billions. Now he is gone and Lopez is basically crying about poor Lotus!  Kimi should have drawn the line in the sand at the summer break, Lotus is very fortunate that he tried to believe in them for so long.

It is hard to feel sorry for Mr Lopez and co as they are the architects of one of the dumbest 'business' plans ever conceived. 

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 13 November 2013 - 02:19.

#287 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:41

These Lotus guys are some of the dumbest people ever.  Their business plan is to try to be a top team in F1 and to try and finish this season in 2nd or 3rd place this year. And in a great part their teams very survival depends on the prize money and the investments that a good finish could bring.  

Then these geniuses proceed to take the one guy in the whole organization that can make or break the teams success and completely alienate him through public statements, not so funny 'funny' cartoons - one even on his birthday, refusal to pay his salary, and then berating him over the team radio to be broadcast worldwide to billions. Now he is gone and Lopez is basically crying about poor Lotus!  Kimi should have drawn the line in the sand at the summer break, Lotus is very fortunate that he tried to believe in them for so long.

It is hard to feel sorry for Mr Lopez and co as they are the architects of one of the dumbest 'business' plans ever conceived.

Totally agree with you.
And Kimi has been too kind & patient. I am sure any other WDC - Alonso, Hamilton etc....would have scoot off earlier.

Edited by santababy, 13 November 2013 - 01:41.

#288 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,703 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:23

Totally agree with you.
And Kimi has been too kind & patient. I am sure any other WDC - Alonso, Hamilton etc....would have scoot off earlier.

These Lotus guys are some of the dumbest people ever.  Their business plan is to try to be a top team in F1 and to try and finish the season in 2nd or 3rd place this year. And in a great part their teams very survival depends on the prize money and the investments that a good finish could bring.  

Yes, but on the other hand... I am not excusing their behaviour, but I've read somewhere that the financial situation in F1 (with the division of price-money as arranged in the Concorde-agreement 2.0) that if Lotus would have won the worldchampionship they would have earned LESS money that either Red Bull or Ferrari.

My view is that the businessplan of Lotus and their investors was indeed flawed because they were sheep planning to go into the woolbusiness with wolves as business-affiliates...

#289 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 698 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 13:09

Today, Kimi is going under sugery... Best wishes to Iceman! 

BZCKVmnCEAApkuq.jpg

#290 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:49

According to mtv3 Kimi surgery went well and he can start practice lightly after 4-6 weeks.

#291 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 698 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:59

According to mtv3 Kimi surgery went well and he can start practice lightly after 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad everything went well. I wish him a full recovery.  :)

#292 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:56

Can someone please tell me what resting means in his case? Does he have to be in bed most of the time? Especially at the first week or so?

#293 Oho

Oho

• 7,532 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:52

Which pretty much means he could not have pushed the surgery any further without risking significant interference with 2014 preparations.

Six weeks from now is Christmas, at that point he has five weeks to get in shape for the first tests at the end of January. Quite frankly it seems almost touch and go as it is, no wonder Ferrari leaned on him if they did.

Edited by Oho, 15 November 2013 - 06:54.

#294 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,304 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:17

I've been searching for news in all the wrong places - could have just come to the good old home base of F1 and found out from you guys!  But I did find this tweet, which has a slightly longer recovery period, but since it is all guesses in a range, I suppose it is close enough:

The report's so small it can be a tweet! Finnish TV report #Kimi Raikkonen's back surgery went "very well" and can train in 6-8 weeks #F1

#295 basjaski

basjaski

• 32 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:25

Sarcasm is a b****....

Apologies to if infact is was sarcasm. Hard to spot on the interwebs

#296 DrF

DrF

• 1,401 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:48

Which pretty much means he could not have pushed the surgery any further without risking significant interference with 2014 preparations.

Six weeks from now is Christmas, at that point he has five weeks to get in shape for the first tests at the end of January. Quite frankly it seems almost touch and go as it is, no wonder Ferrari leaned on him if they did.

I'm pretty certain Ferrari made it 'worth his while' to have the op. now and rest up for the last couple of races. The decision not to race just after a seat fitting was never a coincidence.

Edited by DrF, 15 November 2013 - 08:49.

#297 NexusIcon

NexusIcon

• 154 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:09

Indeed, let us just hope he's back to his best for Ferrari next year and not suffering some after effects of the operation.

#298 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 698 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 15:54

Lotus statement on Kimi's surgery:

http://adamcooperf1....ful-says-lotus/

#299 Hayden1

Hayden1

• 377 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 15:50

adcALgNc.jpg  

Ice is  OK after surgery 

Advertisement

#300 Jvr

Jvr

• 663 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:08

adcALgNc.jpg

Ice is OK after surgery

Looks so but is that not the wife supposed to be under divorce!

Edited by Jvr, 02 December 2013 - 16:09.