* * * * * 3 votes

Autosport confirm: Magnussen at McLaren

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
674 replies to this topic

#551 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 19:40

I'm starting to sympthatise with Perez. Not because he has lost his seat, but because he didn't see his sacking coming, and neither does it appear that Mclaren forewarned him either. He might be left without a seat for next year.

Advertisement

#552 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 19:42

As a Dane, I could not be more pleased with this bit of news. I had high hopes for his dad, Jan because he was just awesome. I mean no holds barred awesome. But to my surprise back then it just went all wrong.

Thankfully, Kevin will have plenty of things to learn from Jan in not making the same mistakes he did. This could be a real success story. And then again, it could not. Its a tall order for the young Dane from Roskilde. But I will be cheering him on all the way.  :clap:

#553 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 20:15

his dad just gave an hour long interview on danish television, kevin was in the simulator today and was called to the office to sign the papers, after it was back to work nothing fancy,they have been negotiating for some time but only in the last few weeks things really started to happen. Both because kevin impressed and perez did the opposite. He told, mw has been great all along, him and kevin apparently get along very well and mw was one of the persons who tried to protect kevin the most and guide him. Hence why he tried to place him in a smaller team for not to rush and ruin things. He told that kevin has worked really hard in the mclaren center, and that kevins positive attitude, intelligence and hard work ethics helped him impress wherever he went in the technology center, and that helped impress the senior figures also. Jan his father also told, that it was his biggest wish that kevin teamed up with jenson. Because of his experience and what he achieved. There is no denying jenson have really good tactical skills very often making the right calls. Kevin can learn a lot from that. BUt also reading between the lines, i think they are happy with jenson because they see him as a beatable opponent.

Edited by f1rules, 14 November 2013 - 20:21.

#554 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 206 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 20:15

http://www1.skysport...driver-decision

This interview reminded me why I really don't like Sam Michael - and that's coming from me, somebody who never rated Perez and thought McLaren made a mistake by hiring him in the first place.

What a douchebag.  :down:

#555 Hans V

Hans V

• 335 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 20:22

I'm thrilled with this news. I once saw Jan Magnussen in a F-Ford race in Britain and have never been more stunned at a racetrack. When the other guys started braking he put in another gear. He was just something else. I was instantly a big fan and was very disappointed it didn't work out for him in F1. It was partly due to attitude. That often happens with the hugely gifted who relys too much on talent and don't care to work hard, whether it's motor racing, football, skiing, school or just about anything. Anyway, I've been following Kevin for a few years and he seems to have the maturity and discipline his father so lacked at the same age.

Pity for Perez, but there are those who think, and I believe Peter Sauber is one of them, that Perez and Kobayashi actually underperformed last year, despite some really good results.

#556 Collective

Collective

• 1,089 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 20:39

This interview reminded me why I really don't like Sam Michael - and that's coming from me, somebody who never rated Perez and thought McLaren made a mistake by hiring him in the first place.

He ruined Williams, he's going after McLaren now!

#557 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 20:46

He ruined Williams, he's going after McLaren now!

Sam Michael is the quintessential douche.

2014 will not be a good year for McLaren, they better hope Honda get it right for 2015.

I hope they don't ruin Magnusson's career.

#558 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,906 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 20:57

Sam Michael is the quintessential douche.

2014 will not be a good year for McLaren, they better hope Honda get it right for 2015.

I hope they don't ruin Magnusson's career.

Why is Sam a douche?

How do you know that next year will be bad for the team?

And why do you think Mag's career might be ruined by McLaren?

#559 ghirahim

ghirahim

• 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:03

Why is Sam a douche?

Obvious McLaren hater.

Advertisement

#560 amppatel

amppatel

• 450 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:07

Why is Sam a douche?

Well they have surely ruined Perez's career...

Here are some facts for you:

1. End of 2012, Perez looked like the bee's knees

2. End of 2013, Perez looks like sh*t

3. The only change between the two was McLaren

So I conclude that McLaten has ruined Perez's career, so it's reasonable to think they could do the same to Mag

#561 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:14

Obvious McLaren hater.

As a huge Senna fan why would you think I hate McLaren, that's stupid!

#562 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:20

1. End of 2012, Perez looked like the bee's knees  hadn't scored any points since Singapore.

2. End of 2013, Perez looks like sh*t, carrying on the form he showed in the latter part of 2012.

So I conclude that McLaten has ruined Perez's career, so it's reasonable to think they could do the same to Mag

Fixed

#563 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,321 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:22

Why is Sam a douche?

They don't know any of those things.

The nonsense about Sam is just bullshit that keeps getting repeated without any evidence to back it up.

Think of the people who spew this mindless crap as "The Tea Party' of F1 fans.

#564 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,584 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:25

Pity for Perez, but there are those who think, and I believe Peter Sauber is one of them, that Perez and Kobayashi actually underperformed last year, despite some really good results.

I think this is right. I also remember Colin Kolles lambasting the Senna/Chandhok duo whilst at Hispania. He was initially laughed at, but it didn't take very long for him to be proven right in the end.

#565 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:25

Why is Sam a douche?

Michael's record speaks for itself.

Next year will be an extension of this year, they are developing for 2015. IMO.

Magnusson as a rookie will be held to the same standard as Button and although Lewis was able to do it in 2007 it's a tall order, I hope for Kevin's sake it goes well.

#566 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:30

seeing the interview tonight with kevins father and hearing the statements i get the impression, that perez getting fired, has more todo with kevin making an extremely good impression, then perez overly disappointing

#567 redreni

redreni

• 2,265 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:35

At the end (as opposed to the beginning or the middle) of 2012 Perez was getting beaten by Kobayashi. He was picked up by Mclaren on the basis of his performances earlier on. At the end of 2013 he‘s being beaten by Button. It is arguably worse to be beaten by Kobayashi than by Button. Perez has not repeated the kind of performances that put him on the podium for Sauber and prompted Mclaren to sign him.

#568 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,492 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:36

It's a little hard ride to get sacked after only one year from McLaren, not many drivers have experienced that, but I guess McLaren know what they are doing, having seen the telemetry from Perez's car. Perez has performed pretty much to my expectations. Maybe he should have shown something more than Button to keep his seat, at least be reliable if not for speed. Button is a proven solid performer and benchmark and pretty much everyone who goes to McLaren and wants to have a long career, should be at least as fast.

#569 BiH

BiH

• 2,305 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:37

Perez career is ruined. Iif he doesn't find seat for next year its over. It will be like Kamui.

One thing about McLaren and hiring of Magnusssen when Hamilton was driving mp4 was rocket ship.

This years McLaren and possably next years could be similar. Nothing more then fighting for points with force india.

#570 bogi

bogi

• 2,995 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:44

Why is Sam a douche?

Because he didn't let Hamilton into McLaren garage.

#571 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 21:58

No actually it goes back a lot further than that but its OT so I'll leave it there.

#572 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,321 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 22:01

:lol:

#573 st99

st99

• 379 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 22:05

Kevin is not lying when he says that he wanted to be a McLaren driver since he was a kid  :up:  :clap:

tumblr_mw9tnb6uzs1r0y4hzo3_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_mw9tnb6uzs1r0y4hzo4_r1_250.gif

Source:http://the-fastest-w...is-the-best-its

Edited by st99, 14 November 2013 - 22:06.

#574 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,060 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 23:07

His dad had his first F1 race for McLaren, maybe he should have stayed with them, that is if he had the chance to do that.

:cool:

#575 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,401 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 23:16

McLaren haven't ruined Checo's career. They just held him up to the top standard, and found him lacking.

Remember how a rookie named Vettel stepped into the same (midfield) car as highly experienced multiple open wheeler champion and beat his pants off?

Well Checo did not come close to doing that.

#576 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 23:20

McLaren haven't ruined Checo's career. They just held him up to the top standard, and found him lacking.

Remember how a rookie named Vettel stepped into the same (midfield) car as highly experienced multiple open wheeler champion and beat his pants off?

Well Checo did not come close to doing that.

Makes you wonder if someone like Mansell would've had much of a career in modern F1.

#577 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:06

On the criteria given by Michael, he failed at Williams and should never have been given the opportunity to continue in F1.

I was reminded that early in the season Perez made the mistake of trying to overtake Button.  I wonder how much politicking Button got up when he discovered Perez might be the faster driver!

#578 pongkai

pongkai

• 278 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:56

6 months ago

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_6FLxorwnEI

Thanks for this, I'm liking him. His helmet is a bit too similar to Button's though. :)

#579 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:18

Feel sorry for Checo. There is just not enough room for 2 Mexican drivers in F1. Slim has to decide which horse to back from now on.

If PDVSA money is still there (and we have not got the slightest clue if that is still the case), then Maldonado should be a shoo-in for 2014. Otherwise, even Maldo is out of 2014 line-up.

Advertisement

#580 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:52

Perez says he was shocked that McLaren dropped him. Well, most of us would have been shocked if McLaren had not dropped him. He says - 'The year we had was so disappointing for everyone, they had to do some changes and they have to change me'. The guy has clearly been delusional. He has been the worst driver, by far, this year. Good riddance.

#581 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:27

Ferrari (at least Montezemolo) seemed to know beforehand that Perez wasn't ready.

IIRC even Peter Sauber didn't rate him too highly and was unsure of whether he was ready when McLaren picked him up. This is the same guy who argued to let Kimi race when pretty much everyone else was against it, so I think he's able to see people who have that "spark".

I think McLaren basically confirmed it. You have to remember that apart from race results McLaren have years of data on simulators, fitness, etc. on Lewis and Jenson so they know what it takes to be a champion. It's possible that Magnussen blew him out of the water in those areas.

#582 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:46

^ I don't think his is a case of being not ready. He is just not good enough.

#583 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:49

I want Peter Sauber to see me drive!!!  :clap:

#584 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,612 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:08

I don't see what Perez lacks compared to Button. Jenson sucks at finding the sweet spot in car set up, his redeeming quality being his drives in changeable conditions.

They are betting on a rookie saving them from problems in the engineering department. No doubt the 2014 car will be Force India level and they will sack another driver because they subscribe to the idea that the team heads can do no wrong.

#585 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:23

^ I don't think his is a case of being not ready. He is just not good enough.

If you're at a top position in a team then saying someone is not ready is basically a nicer and politically correct way of saying they're not good enough :p

#586 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:24

Perez says he was shocked that McLaren dropped him. Well, most of us would have been shocked if McLaren had not dropped him. He says - 'The year we had was so disappointing for everyone, they had to do some changes and they have to change me'. The guy has clearly been delusional. He has been the worst driver, by far, this year. Good riddance.

Wouldn't say he's been the worst, but he's been the most consistently 'meh'. Button's skill is making people think he's 'meh' but bagging major points, podiums and wins out of it (okay not this season but the car is a complete hog). Perez was 'meh' and banging into people and finishing 11th/12th.

#587 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:34

i have to agree, they didnt handle the perez situation well at all! i read an article on auto motor und sport yesterday, jezz i dont think i have read such a negative article on mclaren in years, not in general but how they handled the perez situation.

http://www.auto-moto...ft-7898319.html

#588 peroa

peroa

• 8,841 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:41

I don't see what Perez lacks compared to Button. Jenson sucks at finding the sweet spot in car set up, his redeeming quality being his drives in changeable conditions.

They are betting on a rookie saving them from problems in the engineering department. No doubt the 2014 car will be Force India level and they will sack another driver because they subscribe to the idea that the team heads can do no wrong.

Yep, I thought Perez described the McLaren mentality in recent years pretty well. They are certainly detached from reality...

#589 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:43

There are plenty of seats available, and plenty of drivers looking for them. I don't see how McLaren have done anything 'wrong'. If the market was sewn up 2/3 months ago maybe, but it's wide open for the kind of drives Perez considering his performance should be looking for. Force India, Sauber, even Caterham if he is desperate.

#590 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:17

Teams changing drivers does not have much to do with their car's competitiveness. They are two entirely different things. You got to do what you got to on both fronts individually. That is, you have to give each department its due importance. I see this sentiment being mentioned regarding Ferrari's recent recruitment as well. Just because your car sucks does not mean you can continue to employ underwhelming drivers.

#591 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,906 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:14

Michael's record speaks for itself.

Next year will be an extension of this year, they are developing for 2015. IMO.

Magnusson as a rookie will be held to the same standard as Button and although Lewis was able to do it in 2007 it's a tall order, I hope for Kevin's sake it goes well.

Sam was technical director at Williams from 2004 to 2011. So in those seven years the big boys didn't think to dislodge him sooner? Those years were pretty barren, yet the team didn't think to remove him. Is it all Sam's fault? You must know the inner workings of a team. Williams have had a terrible 2013 - oh, wait, Sam is not there. ;)

"When the film is great it's because of the director, when the film is bad it's the screenwriter's fault."

On your second point you now say that next year is a transitional year, well how come McLaren are saying that they are focused on 2014? They shifted most resources to 2014 during the summer. It confirms that they are committed to 2014. 

It's better to have Magnusson in a smaller F1 team to learn the ropes. Heck, even a drive in Gp2 might be a better option, but McLaren are clearly impressed with him and they have all the data. They seem confidant that he will be challenging Jenson. 

#592 st99

st99

• 379 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:20

On the criteria given by Michael, he failed at Williams and should never have been given the opportunity to continue in F1.

I was reminded that early in the season Perez made the mistake of trying to overtake Button.  I wonder how much politicking Button got up when he discovered Perez might be the faster driver!

Actually, I think Button wanted Pérez to stay at McLaren or at least that's what the reports have been saying.

#593 Owen

Owen

• 10,424 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:34

Kevin is not lying when he says that he wanted to be a McLaren driver since he was a kid  :up:  :clap:

"I'll put it simply: this team is the best." Kevin Magnussen

#594 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:35

only downside to kevin signing is the danish media. I have NEVER like NNNEEEEVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! heard that much crap from the media and so called F1 experts of denmark. DEPRESSING!

#595 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,844 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:47

only downside to kevin signing is the danish media. I have NEVER like NNNEEEEVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! heard that much crap from the media and so called F1 experts of denmark. DEPRESSING!

What kind of crap?

#596 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:00

where do i start, one of the big danish newspapers has a headline stating button is angry because they signed kevin, and turns out all he said was he preffered one withf1 experience, that its a bold move. Not to mention all the so called F1 experts in denmark - Kevin will be champion in 1 year, kevin will be champion in 3 years etc. etc. And they base in on what??? jeezzz i only heard only journalists saying lets se how the car will be, all the other motorsports people/journalists speculate, without basing it on reality, rational thinking, knowledge. But offcourse it is big news for a small country like denmark still the level is, exceptionally low. But ill share all i can if there is meaningful knowledge to be shared :-)

#597 bogi

bogi

• 2,995 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:13

Button 'surprised' by Magnussen signing

http://en.espnf1.com...ory/135089.html

Edited by bogi, 15 November 2013 - 10:17.

#598 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,868 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:59

Fair enough. Personally I think he speaks frank and great sense:

"We already have a World Champion in one of our cars. Then you have the choice of trying to get another World Champion, and that's not possible at the moment, so then you have the choice of going down a route which you think will create another World Champion.

"You have to remember that on all of our Young Driver Programmes, they are there to produce World Champions. They are not there to produce also-rans because, quite frankly, McLaren has the buying ability to go and buy anyone we want on the grid in that situation. So therefore if you look at our programme critically, we believe that Kevin can be a World Champion - the same way that we believe Vandoorne can be and anyone who comes in behind him. If we don't, they don't stay on our programme - it's as brutal as that."

Obviously after 1 year, car notwithstanding, they didn't think Perez has what it takes to be a world champion - so they made a "brutal" decision. I can't see anything wrong or unfair about that. 

#599 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,868 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:01

O - M - G to people actually think like this???  :eek:

Advertisement

#600 MinT

MinT

• 2,004 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:02

I think it is fairly understandable Button might want Perez to stay.

Despite what some say in this thread Button has had the upper hand over Perez consistently this season. Remember the team look at all the dat from every lap - not just the odd 1 lap quali where Perez came out a fraction ahead.

So if you are Button what would you rather have - an obvious no2 in Perez who is mostly slower and has show very little racecraft or a young guy who by all accounts has been posting quicker times in tests and the simulator and is likely going to give it everything now he has his chance ?