* * * * * 3 votes

Autosport confirm: Magnussen at McLaren

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
674 replies to this topic

#51 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:13

At least this news means that McLaren isn't in financial problems (anymore).

They never were.

Advertisement

#52 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:14

233791.jpg

Hope he goes with this gold number for his helmet, his blue and red will get mixed up with JB.

#53 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,058 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:15

Do we think we might see Magnussen in the car at Austin?

#54 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:15

I presume that this is indeed true, for both BBC and Autosport to report this and it then not being correct does not seem likely. As a Dane I am very happy about this, it have been obvious for quite some time that McLaren saw something very very good in Kevin Magnussen, and making room for him over Perez show this. His results next season will show if it was a smart or a not smart decision.

In regard his dad, yes he was a huge disappointment considering the talent that he obviously had. On an other site I referred to him as "Kimi before Kimi with less self discipline", this link gives a pretty good accessment of Jan's F1 career.

http://www.janmagnus...2/709053800.pdf

:cool:

jan was his own worst enemy, didnt have discipline at all

#55 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:18

They never were.

I don't know about problems, but they have an income hole to fill.

#56 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,947 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:19

@EliGP 3m

Michael Schumacher, racing in F1 last year, is four years older than Jan Magnussen, whose son will be racing in F1 next year.

#57 BiH

BiH

• 2,304 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:20

wow this came out of left field.

nobody even talked Perez was in serious trouble of losing seat.

is he pay driver? why would mclaren pass up on so many experienced drivers available

maybe all those mp4-12c sitting on car lots is taking toll on mclaren racing finances. also p1 orders from 500 cars down to 350.

Edited by BiH, 11 November 2013 - 20:21.

#58 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 592 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:24

I don't know about problems, but they have an income hole to fill.

Doesn't everyone?

#59 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,740 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:25

Excellent decision by McLaren!

Advertisement

#60 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:25

wow this came out of left field.

nobody even talked Perez was in serious trouble of losing seat.

Rumors are several weeks old.

is he pay driver? why would mclaren pass up on so many experienced drivers available

maybe all those mp4-12c sitting on car lots is taking toll on mclaren racing finances. also p1 orders from 500 cars down to 350.

What the hell are you talking about :rotfl:

Edited by Buttoneer, 11 November 2013 - 23:16.

#61 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 980 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:26

I believe Perez wouldn't improve in 2014 and would always be inferior to JB, so I think it is a right choice to give Magnussen a chance. Not much to lose, but lots to gain if he proves to be a top driver. But I still think they should have gone for Hulkenberg, who seems to me to be a proven quality at the moment.

#62 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 483 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:26

Probably a mistake, in typical Whitmarsh style. 

There is no way Magnussen is ready for that type of an F1 seat, unless McLaren have accepted that they are no longer a top team.

They had chances to get Hulk last year and this year and instead put Magnussen at one of the backmarkers to learn and take Button's place in a year or so, yet instead they went for an option that's worse in the short and long run... 

Edited by KingTiger, 11 November 2013 - 20:28.

#63 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,015 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:28

I'm more thinking about who will replace Button for 2015 or 16 onwards. It will have to be one of the established big-hitters if Magnussen doesn't quickly establish himself as 'The Next Big Thing'.

#64 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,803 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:29

Autosport doesn't actually confirm it. "Sources have confirmed to AUTOSPORT that the team has decided to promote the Formula Renault 3.5 champion, although a contract has not yet been signed", the article says.

I would be surprised, though, if this is indeed true. And I wonder where this leaves Pérez after a disappointing season that's very much to blame on McLaren's form.

"Sources" is code for "McLaren".

Wonder what data McLaren has that shows Magnussen is a better bet than Perez.  On the face of it I'm not entirely sure.  Then again McLaren managed to lose Newey to Red Bull.

#65 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:29

Guess we know why he pulled out of the gp2 test.

#66 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 980 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:32

I'm more thinking about who will replace Button for 2015 or 16 onwards. It will have to be one of the established big-hitters if Magnussen doesn't quickly establish himself as 'The Next Big Thing'.

Yes. This year the car is shite, so there is no pressure on the drivers. But imagine if they produce a rocketship and there is no driver to bring the maximum out of the car  :well:

#67 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,003 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:32

I think Magnussen has plenty of potential, but I'm not entirely sure if he's ready to jump into F1 straight away. I guess McLaren are thinking along the same lines as Red Bull with Kyvet. If they think they've got a real talent on their books, then they might as well put him straight in and let him learn on the fly.

I still rate Perez more than many do here, so I hope he can stick around. With backing, I'm sure that won't be a problem.

#68 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,171 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:33

There is no way Magnussen is ready for that type of an F1 seat, unless McLaren have accepted that they are no longer a top team.

Somehow I think you didn't follow FR 3.5 very well this year.

It's a bold move, but I think Jan is already just that good.

#69 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,035 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:33

Wow. I had thought Perez was underperforming somewhat, but not enough to be replaced after one year.

Then again, why stick with Johansson when you can get Senna?

#70 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,081 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:34

I must admit I don't know much about Magnussen.

What this does, however, is making the signing of Perez a big mistake, whatever words they may use in weeks to come trying to sugarcoat it.

Or the situation changed eg Honda.

#71 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 341 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:34

Just for the record, Perez scored 58% of Button's points this year.

Compared to their teammates:

Gutierrez 15%

Webber 47%

Massa 48%

Perez 58%

Sutil 60%

Grosjean 62%

Rosberg 90%

I'm not so sure this is as bad as some make out to be. Also he's still got 2 years of experience, and it's hard to impress in this year's McLaren. 

#72 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,599 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:35

Can you expand on this? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

I think he means Monaco rather than Monza.

#73 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 993 posts

But the real question is: will he be any better than Jan Magnussen, or will Jackie Stewart soon be driving him around in a road car teaching him how to left-foot brake?

#74 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,015 posts

Bonkers.

#75 BiH

BiH

• 2,304 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:36

Rumors are several weeks old.

What the hell are you talking about :rotfl:

you must be new here.

find another time where McLaren signs rookie without single F1 race under his belt.

after losing Hamilton (due to money) McLaren signed Perez which puzzled journos and then follow it up with this.

#76 bogi

bogi

• 2,986 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:37

you must be new here.

find another time where McLaren signs rookie without single F1 race under his belt.

after losing Hamilton (due to money) McLaren signed Perez which puzzled journos and then follow it up with this.

You really think McLaren didn't have enough money for Hamilton?

#77 blackmme

blackmme

• 414 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:39

I'm a huge McLaren fan since the age of 7 so just 37 years for me. But I believe that your comment is absolutely correct McLaren's decision making has been flawed for 5 years now.....

They had way more data on Sergio than anyone on this forum last year (I presume) and decided that Sergio was the smart move, I wonder what has changed. In the last12 months?

Regards Mike

#78 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:41

They saw ALL the data in 2013.

#79 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,597 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:41

Bit harsh on Perez IMO even though I'm not a fan of his. I think he was up against it from day one and I wouldn't be surprised if this was McLaren's plan all along (unless something amazing happened this year) 

Advertisement

#80 ANF

ANF

• 630 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:42

WHAT?!

#81 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,755 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:42

They never were.

Why did they hire Pérez then?

#82 bogi

bogi

• 2,986 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:52

Why did they hire Pérez then?

Same reason why he almost finished at Ferrari, potential.

http://i.imgur.com/iUdNs.jpg

iUdNs.jpg

Edited by bogi, 11 November 2013 - 20:52.

#83 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,223 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:53

Perez matched Jenson for a lot of this season and outraced him on occasion in this dog of a car but he hasn't really shone like he did in the Sauber. Shame for him after such promise the previous seasons. Maybe a better car would have saved him.

#84 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 917 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:55

Find it a real shame for Perez, but at the same time, I'm interested to see how Magnussen does. For some reason, he never really caught my eye...until this year. Won me over with his performance in WSbR. At least unlike certain other sons/nephews of famous racing drivers, Kevin has the talent to back up the surname.

Now McLaren just needs to promote Vandoorne for 2015 and I'll be very happy with their line-up.

#85 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,171 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:57

I'm a huge McLaren fan since the age of 7 so just 37 years for me. But I believe that your comment is absolutely correct McLaren's decision making has been flawed for 5 years now.....

They had way more data on Sergio than anyone on this forum last year (I presume) and decided that Sergio was the smart move, I wonder what has changed. In the last12 months?

Regards Mike

They didn't have Magnussen's data then.

I think this choice is more about Magnussen than about Perez.

McLaren wants to be a top team with top drivers. It's not that Perez is a bad driver or a failure, it's rather the fact that McLaren have found out that he's just not the top driver they are looking for. And we know how hard they want a top driver from the approaches they recently made to Alonso.

Rather than soldiering on with Sergio they now take their chance to find out if Jan has what it takes. We'll see if that's the right choice.....

#86 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,947 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:57

you must be new here.

We're not discussing Lewis Hamilton in this thread. Again, not a general Macca thread, guys.

#87 Arn

Arn

• 1,624 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:59

I really hope this is true. I haven't been this excited about anything in F1 since Brazil 2007. I have been waiting for this news the last few days!

If KM gets the chance at McLaren, I am almost sure that he will fare well against Button and establish himself as the faster driver. But not so sure he can out score him over a season.

#88 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,032 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:00

jan was his own worst enemy, didnt have discipline at all

Think that is exactly what I said.

#89 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 483 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:01

Gutierrez 15%

Webber 47%

Massa 48%

Perez 58%

Sutil 60%

Grosjean 62%

Rosberg 90%

I'm not so sure this is as bad as some make out to be. Also he's still got 2 years of experience, and it's hard to impress in this year's McLaren. 

The points differences are bigger when you're only picking up points once every few races. If the car was good enough for 5th-6th every race the difference between the two of them would've been smaller.

Somehow I think you didn't follow FR 3.5 very well this year.

It's a bold move, but I think Jan is already just that good.

Doesn't matter if Magnussen is the best and purest driver since Senna. You need experience to get the most out of these crap Pirellis, not driving ability. 

#90 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,079 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:02

Kevin Magnussen aka "Magnum" I like it! :clap: :yawnface: :up:

Here's hoping that we´ll see another great rookie driver from McLarens excellent young drivers program or in other words, that we´ll get Hamilton No.2 from young Kevin! :D

p.s. Next year he´ll be 22 years old just like Lewis when he started @ Macca :cool:

#91 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,032 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:04

I think that possibly McLaren have accepted for 2014 to be a less than stellar season, they will be preparing for Honda's return, and based on how much they rate Kevin internally have decided to groom him in their own car, having failed to get him into an other teams.

#92 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,028 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:05

All I can say is that this had better not be true.  If it is, and Perez retains a drive somewhere, Mclaren are going to be very sorry because Perez is the goods.  It would be tragic if he were let go after his "opportunity" in what amounts to the crappiest McLaren to leave the garage in years. 

If Button had managed to do a great job in the seat, that would be one thing, but he hasn't.  The car is a junk heap.  And while he's had a tough 'rookie in a top car' year, it was no where near as bad as Grosjean and Maldonado's exhibitions when their cars were at the sharp end.

Nonetheless, this might be a part of some scheme that is bigger than 2014's line up, so who knows.  Hopefully Perez retains the seat.  According to F1.com., it is not as wrapped up as the title to this thread would have us believe.

Edited by bourbon, 11 November 2013 - 21:08.

#93 Arn

Arn

• 1,624 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:06

I really hope these rumours are not a move from McLaren to get more money from Perez's sponspors.

#94 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,303 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:08

I think he means Monaco rather than Monza.

OK, thanks - makes more sense.

#95 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:08

Same reason why he almost finished at Ferrari, potential.

http://i.imgur.com/iUdNs.jpg

Almost finished? He barely can claim almost started at Ferrari.

#96 Arn

Arn

• 1,624 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:09

Doesn't matter if Magnussen is the best and purest driver since Senna. You need experience to get the most out of these crap Pirellis, not driving ability. 

Yes, they should try to hire Rubens Barrichello or Riccardo Patrese...

#97 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:10

Pretty racey decision.  I have a good feeling about it,

#98 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:10

Gutierrez 15%
Webber 47%
Massa 48%
Perez 58%
Sutil 60%
Grosjean 62%
Rosberg 90%

Well, massa was replaced, webber had enough anf guiterrez looks like he may loose his seat aswell.. So its rather unsuprising

#99 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:12

Kevin Magnussen aka "Magnum" I like it! :clap: :yawnface: :up:

Here's hoping that we´ll see another great rookie driver from McLarens excellent young drivers program or in other words, that we´ll get Hamilton No.2 from young Kevin! :D

p.s. Next year he´ll be 22 years old just like Lewis when he started @ Macca :cool:

Whitmarsh will need to paint Magnussen's helmet in a stronger yellow and hope for the best :)

Advertisement

#100 blackmme

blackmme

• 414 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:12

I really hope this is true. I haven't been this excited about anything in F1 since Brazil 2007. I have been waiting for this news the last few days!

If KM gets the chance at McLaren, I am almost sure that he will fare well against Button and establish himself as the faster driver. But not so sure he can out score him over a season.

So his aspirations should be pretty much what Sergio has achieved this year?
Please don't take this as an attack on Kevin I don't know much about him (but I was awed watching his dad in F3) I just think Sergio deserves better.

Regards Mike