Autosport confirm: Magnussen at McLaren

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
674 replies to this topic

#101 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,435 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:13

I think, and hope, this will turn out to be an inspired move by McLaren.

Advertisement

#102 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,955 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:13

Doesn't matter if Magnussen is the best and purest driver since Senna. You need experience to get the most out of these crap Pirellis, not driving ability. 

The funny thing is that Sergio himself is the best counter argument to this - he made a one stop strategy work amazingly well in his very first F1 race for Sauber!

Which also showed that the car itself is the main factor in making Pirelli tyres work.

#103 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,388 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:14

No one else is reporting this yet. It seems very funny to me, not sure this is set in stone yet.

#104 BT44/45

BT44/45

• 66 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:15

these days, the only way for a young driver to impress f1 teams is by doing a stellar job in the junior categories and perform exceptionally in one or two f1 tests. magnussen did just that.

rightfully, fans give pay drivers a bad rap when they get into the sport. magnussen is a genuine young prospect and still people are complaining? i applaude mclaren for this bold move and wish them and magnussen all the success they deserve.

Edited by BT44/45, 11 November 2013 - 21:37.

#105 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,955 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:17

No one else is reporting this yet. It seems very funny to me, not sure this is set in stone yet.

No one?

Autosport wasn't even the first.

And this is the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/24903504

Edited by scheivlak, 11 November 2013 - 21:21.

#106 Arn

Arn

• 1,635 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:19

So his aspirations should be pretty much what Sergio has achieved this year?
Please don't take this as an attack on Kevin I don't know much about him (but I was awed watching his dad in F3) I just think Sergio deserves better.

Regards Mike

It's ok.

I don't think most people see Sergio as the established faster driver compared to Button. They are pretty even. I think with Magnussen, it will be more clear that he is the faster.

#107 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,435 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:22

wow this came out of left field.

nobody even talked Perez was in serious trouble of losing seat.

is he pay driver? why would mclaren pass up on so many experienced drivers available

maybe all those mp4-12c sitting on car lots is taking toll on mclaren racing finances. also p1 orders from 500 cars down to 350.

He is part of the McLaren young driver programme. He is to McLaren what Ricciardo is to Red Bull.

Edited by Disgrace, 11 November 2013 - 21:22.

#108 Arn

Arn

• 1,635 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:23

these days, the only way for a young driver to impress f1 teams is doing a stellar job in the junior categories and perform exceptiol-nally in one or two f1 tests. magnussen did just that.

rightfully, fans give pay drivers a bad rap when they get into the sport. magnussen is a genuine young prospect and still people are complaining? i applaude mclaren for this bold move and wish them and magnussen all the success they deserve.

Also, apparently KM has been the faster driver in the McLaren simulator.

What ever McLaren decide, they have all the data of both drivers, and Perez even comes with a bag of money.

#109 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 792 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:29

Great news, good for him and good for F1 that someone who isn't a pay driver, or perceived as a pay driver can get in on pure merit and potential.

#110 blackmme

blackmme

• 493 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:30

It's ok.

I don't think most people see Sergio as the established faster driver compared to Button. They are pretty even. I think with Magnussen, it will be more clear that he is the faster.

Indeed pretty even but recently Sergio has popped up in places you probably didn't expect him to be.
Sergio seems to be getting quicker and perhaps that would continue, what precisely has Jenson brought to the party this year? I'm guessing he costs the team an order of magnitude more than Sergio......

Regards Mike

#111 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:33

F1 really needs this shake up that's coming for next season. McLarn in particular really have nothing to lose by taking KM over Perez. Plus we all know that McLaren's focus will be on 2015 with the reintroduction of Honda. Let's hope this brings them closer to the fight at the front.

#112 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 525 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:34

The funny thing is that Sergio himself is the best counter argument to this - he made a one stop strategy work amazingly well in his very first F1 race for Sauber!

Which also showed that the car itself is the main factor in making Pirelli tyres work.

The tires were brand new for everyone in 2011. 

#113 Arn

Arn

• 1,635 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:36

Indeed pretty even but recently Sergio has popped up in places you probably didn't expect him to be.
Sergio seems to be getting quicker and perhaps that would continue, what precisely has Jenson brought to the party this year? I'm guessing he costs the team an order of magnitude more than Sergio......

Regards Mike

I completely agree with you. I would also choose Perez over Button, but I don't think that was an option for McLaren. I think the outcry in UK would make it a PR nightmare for them.

#114 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,955 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:37

The tires were brand new for everyone in 2011. 

And a complete rookie made the best use of it.

From what I've read the 2014 tyres will be quite different as well BTW.

#115 sopa

sopa

• 3,433 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:39

Going by the famous joke, I'd like to see, what will Whitmarsh say about Magnussen in hindsight.:D

Funny. Like his father, Kevin is rated very highly based on junior career. Let's see if he can learn from his dad's mistakes in the highest category.

#116 Victor

Victor

• 441 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:40

I cannot be happy watching a team destroying a promising young driver career. McLaren failed to give Perez a good car to prove his talent and now kicks him out after only one year with the team.

I also don't think it is a good idea to promote a rookie directly to a top team when there are established drivers, like Hulk available,

IMO the right thing to do would be to give Sergio another chance. The alternative would be to put Hulkenberg in the car and buy a Marussia or a Caterham seat for Magnussen.

#117 Arn

Arn

• 1,635 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:41

Going by the famous joke, I'd like to see, what will Whitmarsh say about Magnussen in hindsight. :D

Funny. Like his father, Kevin is rated very highly based on junior career. Let's see if he can learn from his dad's mistakes in the highest category.

Going by the famous joke, I'd like to see, what will Whitmarsh say about Magnussen in hindsight. :D

He has already learned a lot from some of his dad's mistakes. The most important is not to have a child at the age of 19  :lol:

#118 blackmme

blackmme

• 493 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:42

I cannot be happy watching a team destroying a promising young driver career. McLaren failed to give Perez a good car to prove his talent and now kicks him out after only one year with the team.
I also don't think it is a good idea to promote a rookie directly to a top team when there are established drivers, like Hulk available,
IMO the right thing to do would be to give Sergio another chance. The alternative would be to put Hulkenberg in the car and buy a Marussia or a Caterham seat for Magnussen.

I completely agree.

Regards Mike

#119 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 361 posts

Can you expand on this? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Sorry, it was Monte Carlo, my bad!

Advertisement

#120 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,120 posts

I just think Sergio deserves better.

Regards Mike

Maybe, when Raikkonen's back stays poorly, he can fail to impress at ferrari.

#121 sopa

sopa

• 3,433 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:43

But on a more positive note we have to hope that Whitmarsh's belief and McLaren's testing data is actually justified, because we haven't seen the entrance of proper top drivers for a few years now.

#122 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:45

Pretty bad for Perez, if he had being shown up by Button I could understand it, but he has shown that he has the speed and could be faster then Button but he just needed better race craft that would only come with experience.

#123 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,435 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:49

Pretty bad for Perez, if he had being shown up by Button I could understand it, but he has shown that he has the speed and could be faster then Button but he just needed better race craft that would only come with experience.

Grosjean and Maldonado had their highly public demolition derby years in their first and second years respectively. Both have improved. Perez is causing trouble in year three. It doesn't say much about his learning curve, or whether he will improve at all.

Edited by Disgrace, 11 November 2013 - 21:50.

#124 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,521 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:49

Imo Perez was as let down by the team as they by him, that he has been discarded like this is a joke imo. At least give him a season in competitive machinery before you cast judgement...

#125 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:53

Grosjean and Maldonado had their highly public demolition derby years in their first and second years respectively. Both have improved. Perez is causing trouble in year three. It doesn't say much about his learning curve, or whether he will improve at all.

I can't remember him having demolition derbys in his 1st or 2nd years, maybe he was pushing too hard, either with the car or to make an impression.

#126 Arn

Arn

• 1,635 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:53

Why would you need a good car to prove your talent? Vettel proved plenty in the Toro Rosso. Kimi in the Sauber. Alonso - Minardi. Schumacher - Jordan and Benetton. Senna - Toleman and Lotus etc. etc.

And some of the most impressive races from Kimi/Alonso/Schumacher/Senna were in their lesser cars in their non championship winning years in top teams.

Sergio scored around half the points of Button and McLaren have all the data now to make their decision. 

#127 Zeroninety

Zeroninety

• 176 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:54

He has already learned a lot from some of his dad's mistakes. The most important is not to have a child at the age of 19  :lol:

If Jan had lived up to all the hype instead of pissing away his potential, we could have seen a father and son in F1 at the same time!

#128 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,672 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:56

I completely agree with you. I would also choose Perez over Button, but I don't think that was an option for McLaren. I think the outcry in UK would make it a PR nightmare for them.

Write that down in the button / Perez thread then, and then don't run away when someone asks you to justify it.

#129 blackmme

blackmme

• 493 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:56

If Jan had lived up to all the hype instead of pissing away his potential, we could have seen a father and son in F1 at the same time!

Bloody hell you are right! Dear god I feel old :-)

Regards Mike

#130 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,939 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:57

Imo Perez was as let down by the team as they by him, that he has been discarded like this is a joke imo. At least give him a season in competitive machinery before you cast judgement...

It's a fair point. Button was terrible in 2011 when he didn't get along with the car, but when things swung his way, he was utterly brilliant. My guess is that Mclaren have put Perez through tests in simulators and compared him against others and found a deficit. 

#131 Arn

Arn

• 1,635 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 21:59

Write that down in the button / Perez thread then, and then don't run away when someone asks you to justify it.

I really don't understand. What do you mean by justify it? It's just an opinion.

#132 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:00

It's a fair point. Button was terrible in 2011 when he didn't get along with the car, but when things swung his way, he was utterly brilliant. My guess is that Mclaren have put Perez through tests in simulators and compared him against others and found a deficit. 

DIdn't Whitmarsh declare him as a future world champion?

Lets be honest here, Whitmarsh hasn't a clue, he has mismanaged the entire team since he was given the reigns.

If we get rid of people based on performance, Whitmarsh should be the first to go.

#133 discover23

discover23

• 4,398 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:02

It's ok.

Is he like Lewis before he entered f1?

#134 blackmme

blackmme

• 493 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:04

If we get rid of people based on performance, Whitmarsh should be the first to go.

I wish I had typed that, spot on study.....

Regards Mike

#135 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,955 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:05

DIdn't Whitmarsh declare him as a future world champion?

Maybe you can answer that youself with a quote?

#136 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,133 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:06

You would choose Winless driver over World Champion? :drunk:  damn! Now I´ve seen everything on this BB! :cat:

#137 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 975 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:10

He will do no better than Perez which will result in Mclaren being in the same situation at the end of the year as they are now. Drivers like Grosjean and proof that patience can pay off, but it appears Mclaren want instant gratification. Yet some say Ferrari are mean to their drivers :lol:

#138 P123

P123

• 8,708 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:11

I don't get the 'competitive machinery' argument at all.  The yardstick against which he is being judged is the performance of his teammate.  He hasn't outpaced, matched or got close enough often enough.  I do think it is a touch harsh to discard him after 1 season, but McLaren obviously believe Magnussen is worth the risk.

#139 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,672 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:12

I really don't understand. What do you mean by justify it? It's just an opinion.

Fair enough.  I generally try to base my opinions on some sort of logical thought process, but hey-ho.

Advertisement

#140 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,939 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:12

He will do no better than Perez which will result in Mclaren being in the same situation at the end of the year as they are now. Drivers like Grosjean and proof that patience can pay off, but it appears Mclaren want instant gratification. Yet some say Ferrari are mean to their drivers :lol:

Grosjean is technically driving for a midfield team, they normally have patience. Button is probably going to retire at the end of next year and Mclaren are in a hurry to find a replacement lead driver.

#141 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,435 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:13

You don't put a 21-year-old driver, member of your own driver programme since 2009, into the car for "instant gratification." Next.

#142 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:13

We have to remember that this decision is based off all the data available to the team.

Mclaren know Jenson is not Lewis quick but he's bought in a lot of points for the team.

Sergio is maybe as quick as Button on occasion but certainly is not as reliable.

Mclaren know they can get a quicker than Jenson driver who will learn to be consistent. I fully expect Kevin to be as quick as Jenson from the word go. Good decision and it puts A LOT of pressure on Jenson to perform in 14, otherwise he'll be replaced by Stefan maybe?

#143 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:15

Perez is a decent driver but by and large he's been outpaced by Jenson, more so in the races it would seem and we all know as good as a driver JB is, he's not a tier 1 driver, and if Checo is losing out to him and not improving why continue to flog that dead horse?

K-Mag may or may not be a top driver but Mclaren have all the info and it would appear they think he's a better bet than Checo. If this gets confirmed (i find Autosport's increasing willingness to post stories as fact when there's not been official confirmation disconcerting) then i think its a good move for Mclaren and a good move for F1, rookies rarely get a chance on pure talent and they're even less likely to get a chance in a top team so fair play to Mclaren.

Oh, and everyone please, pretty please, give him until at least after the summer break before we start judging him, he's going in at the deep end so give him a chance.

Edited by olliek88, 11 November 2013 - 22:16.

#144 Arn

Arn

• 1,635 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:16

Is he like Lewis before he entered f1?

I don't know enough about Lewis' achievements in the lower classes to say but I don't think it is as impressive as Lewis'.

It's still quite impressive: http://kevinmagnussen.com/career/

Kevin was born in a racing family and could drift with opposite lock in a gokart at the age of 2!

He has also said that he felt very comfortable the first time he drove an F1 car and was immediately very fast.

He is also the faster driver at McLaren in their simulator.

Too me it all sounds very promising and supposedly he has a good head, which I think is the most important to succeed at the top level.

Edited by Arn, 11 November 2013 - 22:17.

#145 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:18

We have to remember that this decision is based off all the data available to the team.

Mclaren know Jenson is not Lewis quick but he's bought in a lot of points for the team.

Sergio is maybe as quick as Button on occasion but certainly is not as reliable.

Mclaren know they can get a quicker than Jenson driver who will learn to be consistent. I fully expect Kevin to be as quick as Jenson from the word go. Good decision and it puts A LOT of pressure on Jenson to perform in 14, otherwise he'll be replaced by Stefan maybe?

I'm pretty sure Stefan Johansson has retired...   ;)

#146 blackmme

blackmme

• 493 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:18

You would choose Winless driver over World Champion? :drunk: damn! Now I´ve seen everything on this BB! :cat:

Based on your logic BAR should absolutely have dropped Button in 2003. :drunk: damn! Now I've seen everything on this BB! Etc, etc, etc......

Regards Mike

#147 Arn

Arn

• 1,635 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:22

You would choose Winless driver over World Champion? :drunk:  damn! Now I´ve seen everything on this BB! :cat:

That doesn't say anything at all. At some point a new driver with lots of potential will become more attractive than a former world champion on the decline. A winless Schumacher was chosen over a triple world champion, that seemed to work out very well.

#148 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:23

Based on your logic BAR should absolutely have dropped Button in 2003. :drunk: damn! Now I've seen everything on this BB! Etc, etc, etc......

Regards Mike

Well Jenson schooled JV in that season, something Perez has come nowhere doing to Jenson himself this year.

#149 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:24

You don't put a 21-year-old driver, member of your own driver programme since 2009, into the car for "instant gratification." Next.

Exactly. If anything Perez was hired for that... 3 podiums in a Sauber in 2012 and McLaren thought he'd carry that on.

#150 P123

P123

• 8,708 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:25

Regards Mike

Although the situations aren't similar, in that JB outqualified and outpointed his teammate that season, something Perez hasn't done this year.