• 15,871 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:46

"For now..."

#4 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:49

Very sad news for F1, but at least the realisation allows him to move on and embrace a different motorsport rather than wishing for something else.

A solid WDC prospect lost to F1.

#5 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:58

I can't help but draw a bit of a comparison with Karl Wendlinger, who I think might have made things a bit more interesting in the mid-late 1990s had he manoeuvred his way into somewhere like Benetton for 1996.

As it is, I suspect Vettel's closest contemporary rival is now lost to the sport. But things move on.

#6 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 753 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 13:18

Thread is misleading.
All he says is that its impossible for now.
But hes still hopefull for future.

#7 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 13:22

A great shame, but not suprising..

#8 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 13:30

A great shame. But he loves rallying and this way he can focus on doing something that he loves, and get paid well for it. Something many of us can only dream about. 

#9 fastwriter

fastwriter

• 174 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 13:34

Doesn't really sound hopeful to me. He says, that he will see if there is a big improvement in the strength of his hand and arm. But the accident is 2 years back. The recovery of his injuries should be almost finished by now. I don't think that there is much recovery to gain from now on. So we will never see him in F1 again. To bad, that his love for motorsport killed his motorsport career at least in F1.

#10 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:24

It is 'for now'.

#11 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:43

It is 'for now'.

Yes, that's what he said but this "for now" is lasting too long.

But look, he is fit enough to do rallies and after such a horrible crash, it's like a little miracle.  :D

#12 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:46

He says 'for now' but how long would his rehabilitation take? 

Assuming he also get comfortable enough to drive the car, would he also be up to speed?

Look at Schumacher for instance, three years out and he was a sitting duck and embarrasing at times in 2010. He then gradually got back up to speed but we all knew he was shot to sh*t anyway.

The 're-acclimitisation' takes longer than one suspects.

#13 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:55

I suspect that "for now" and "nearly impossible" is simply used in the sense that he's not yet emotionally ready to finally accept it is "forever" and impossible". 

He's under no obligation to accept this anytime soon, its just a process he is going through on his road to recovery. 

I do get the impression that in 10 years time some will still say he's not ruled a return out yet...

#14 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 15:06

Of course that is sad.

But good thing is he is doing what he loves - rallying.

And he is probably better in than then any racing driver ever was. And he is still learning.

One thing is sure. He will not let anybody to forget him. He is still in top motorsport - WRC.

Good luck to him!

#15 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 16:54

I suspect that "for now" and "nearly impossible" is simply used in the sense that he's not yet emotionally ready to finally accept it is "forever" and impossible". 

He's under no obligation to accept this anytime soon, its just a process he is going through on his road to recovery. 

I do get the impression that in 10 years time some will still say he's not ruled a return out yet...

This is how I see it as well.

#16 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 16:55

"I think there is only one person who can judge what I can do behind the steering wheel - and that's myself.

"It's a dream, a target, but for now, it's very difficult - I would say nearly impossible. I will never take the opportunity if I don't feel 100% ready. If one day things improve, for sure we will see. For now, I am concentrating on rallying.

"Very difficult" and "nearly impossible" does not mean "rule out".  Bad journalism strikes again.  No surprise there.  It's okay.  Some said Robert would d never drive a road car again - let alone compete in any respect.  And yet he defied those odds. 

For my part, I'll give up when he does.  Hope springs eternal. 

"I focus on my recovery - and rallying is helping me a lot in this.

"I can see a lot of improvement behind the wheel in a rally car. Driving on gravel is very demanding. There are lots of movements on the steering wheel which put a lot of stress on my arm and my hand.

"But I know this does not help my biggest limitation, which is driving a single seater. I do not have the power to take control of it but I will try my best."

#17 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,799 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 17:32

Robert won't be back in F1. His harm can't take it. I'm sure he will drive a car again in demonstrations/odd test but it won't be enough.

That being said, what he has made in WRC is absolutely remarkable, and he will score a lot of excellent results in the future. I'm sure in the end he will have more wins in wrc than at F1. 

:up:

#18 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 17:42

So, so depressing.  I still think sometimes how great having him on the grid in recent years would have been for the sport.  We might have had an Alonso/Kubica pairing at Ferrari, for christ's sake.  

#19 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 19:33

I was hoping for some closure, but this is nothing new.

Advertisement

#20 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 21:06

I was hoping for some closure, but this is nothing new.

I think it is. If he is staying in rallies, that mean he will never be back in F1. Simple as that.

If he is not ready after almost 3 years, he will never be. Nothing can change now, I sadly  believe.

It is time to move on.

#21 wolviex

wolviex

• 320 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 21:52

What Kubica is saying depends often on his present mood. It was just two weeks ago, when he said that his priority is, and will be F1. The goal hasn't changed. His todays statement is honest but nothing new indeed. We knew it since his accident actually. And he repeats that he has his limitations.

#22 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 22:04

His accident is such a shame, his Monaco 2010 qualifying runs were just spellbinding

#23 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 23:44

#24 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 23:52

Good news for the WRC.  It's unfortunate that he can no longer compete in F1, but at least he will get the chance to compete at the highest level in rallying.

#25 Sarhan

Sarhan

• 490 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:39

So is he finished with F1?

‘There is no “finished”,’ he insists. ‘It is about whether I can fix one of my biggest problems — the rotation of my wrist. (In a rally car he can compensate by using his shoulder to help lever his hand, something the confined space of an F1 cockpit does not allow).

‘Some doctors say it can’t be put right; some that it can. I am hoping.

‘One day I would like the opportunity, but I understand that the sport goes on and time keeps running.’

source:  www.dailymail.co.uk

Edited by Sarhan, 13 November 2013 - 09:40.

#26 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:02

He is finished with Formula 1. Cause there is no way in hell that after 4 season out of the seat he will get some reasonable seat in Formula 1. There are plenty of good drivers (for exmaple Hulk) that deserves a shoot at top seats, yet they do not race in such. So he is finished with F1.

#27 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:06

He is finished with Formula 1. Cause there is no way in hell that after 4 season out of the seat he will get some reasonable seat in Formula 1. There are plenty of good drivers (for exmaple Hulk) that deserves a shoot at top seats, yet they do not race in such. So he is finished with F1.

Indeed.

I was sure he will be back in 2014, but it seems that is not going to happen. It is obvious, if not 2014 it will never happen. Sadly :(

#28 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 17:17

Change the topic name, it's misleading. Kubica said nothing new.

#29 Ryan94

Ryan94

• 63 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 17:32

Such a shame that a man of his talents has been lost to F1. He might not have completely ruled it out, but the time it has taken him to get to this point makes me think we will never see him in F1 again. Would have really liked to see him in a Ferrari with Alonso

#30 Krr

Krr

• 669 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 18:11

Here you have great, great article. I strongly recommend to read it whole. Nothing is yet "finished", thats for sure.

http://www.independe...ry-8935775.html

#31 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 18:17

Here you have great, great article. I strongly recommend to read it whole. Nothing is yet "finished", thats for sure.

http://www.independe...ry-8935775.html

thanks...but this is missing one part were he said, he could only drive F1 car in one or two tracks and that return to F1 is nearly impossible and his future is now at Rally. But as you said, it´s not yet "finished" but F1 is moving on quickly and Kubica isnt getting any younger anymore.

#32 Krr

Krr

• 669 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 18:36

I know he said that, but it's weird because some time ago he said he could drive on about 80% of tracks, didn't he? I dont have time to look for it but I'm pretty sure a few guys here know what I'm talking about. Anyway, for me 2015 is his deadline when it comes to racing in F1, not just random testing. Robert says some doctors say rotation of wrist can be fixed, others don't think so, for me then he is probably thinking of another surgery, but is not yet sure if risk is worth taking. It surerly would compromise whatever he will be doing next season. My best bet is he will stay in rallys, with some WTCC or DTM on occasion plus probably one or two mid-season tests in old F1 car to evaluate if progress he's made is enough. If not then maybe one "last chance" surgery and if wrist is not fixed then his F1 dream is over. 

#33 wolviex

wolviex

• 320 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 20:54

thanks...but this is missing one part were he said, he could only drive F1 car in one or two tracks and that return to F1 is nearly impossible and his future is now at Rally. But as you said, it´s not yet "finished" but F1 is moving on quickly and Kubica isnt getting any younger anymore.

He meant one ot two tracks in testing (like Jerez and Catalunya). I think he just put it in wrong words. He was very clear in one or two of his interviews (one of them in Polish if I remember well) where he said only Monaco and one other track would make a problem.

#34 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:23

lol, how did I know the responses 

wow, ok

some people live in lala land

#35 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:20

but to be fair recently released interviews are definitely not ruling F1 out, so I don't think it deserves a separate thread...

#36 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:03

lol, how did I know the responses 

wow, ok

some people live in lala land

Then go live in your "not so lala land" and shut up.

#37 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 402 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:58

It is so sad, that I will probably never again have the privilege to experience this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CD3sWbrEUPY

Yet, on the other hand, what he achieved post-accident is a small miracle and there's still lots more he can achieve. WRC needs him.

#38 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:07

Then go live in your "not so lala land" and shut up.

:rotfl: priceless :rotfl:

the man himself is moving on

get over it

#39 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:51

get over it

I know. But nobody here (in this thread) said that he will be back in F1. Some people said that Robert himself is not ruling it out 100%, and you started bashing them with your lalalala BS. Don't put words into people mouths you lalalaaboy.

Edited by thuGG, 14 November 2013 - 11:52.

Advertisement

#40 ReeVe

ReeVe

• 178 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:03

get over it

the odds of Robert returning to F1 have been pretty slim since his accident ... if some fans of his want to keep a small hope that he eventually might return well I see no harm in that, it's not like they are forcing you to believe he will

#41 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:03

This thread has gone about as far as it can. IF or WHEN Robert Kubica announces his return to F1, please start a thread to discuss his return.