RBR & STR missing a trick?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg

• 326 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:53

OK, so I was thinking about this today and I couldn't make sense out of it - 

Vettel has won the WDC. RBR has won the WCC.

Webber deserves a send off and Vettel could do with some rest considering the work he's got to put in next season. (said this in many interviews)

Vettel has been relentless and on the money for four years and he's got nothing left to achieve this year. Why not send Seb on a holiday and put Ricciardo in the car?

It would give Seb some well deserved time off, get Ricciardo a heads up on how the team works and get him used to some of the pressures of driving at the sharp end. 

Also, it vacates the STR seat so give Danil Kvyat a go as well. If they had not signed him, they could have had a shoot out to see who can cut it.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

#2 Steve99

Steve99

• 749 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:54

And all those people who have paid good money for tickets play hell because the world champion isn't driving as expected?

#3 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:55

He wants to beat the record for most consecutive GP wins. Forget it, son   ;)

#4 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:56

Helmut Marko would spiral into a deep depression, unless he were allowed to go to the same island resort as Seb.

#5 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:57

And all those people who have paid good money for tickets play hell because the world champion isn't driving as expected?

Pretty sure the non RB fans would do a dance.. especially if it meant Lewis or Alonso could win.  However this won't happen either way just a funny hypothetical.

#6 Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg

• 326 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:57

You can't please everyone. From what I have seen on forums, a majority would be more than just happy to not see Seb. There's a mob wanting to see a different winner. 

#7 Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg

• 326 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:58

Pretty sure the non RB fans would do a dance.. especially if it meant Lewis or Alonso could win.  However this won't happen either way just a funny hypothetical.

I agree it's hypothetical. But, what's the harm? Does it not make sense?

#8 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:01

OK, so I was thinking about this today and I couldn't make sense out of it - 

Vettel has won the WDC. RBR has won the WCC.

Webber deserves a send off and Vettel could do with some rest considering the work he's got to put in next season. (said this in many interviews)

Vettel has been relentless and on the money for four years and he's got nothing left to achieve this year. Why not send Seb on a holiday and put Ricciardo in the car?

It would give Seb some well deserved time off, get Ricciardo a heads up on how the team works and get him used to some of the pressures of driving at the sharp end. 

Also, it vacates the STR seat so give Danil Kvyat a go as well. If they had not signed him, they could have had a shoot out to see who can cut it.

Thoughts?

You honestly think an F1 driver at the peak of his form, driving a rocket ship would want to miss races? What a bizarre idea.

#9 Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg

• 326 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:03

You honestly think an F1 driver at the peak of his form, driving a rocket ship would want to miss races? What a bizarre idea.

Well, if I know there's a mountain of work ahead, 22 races the following year and I've sealed the championship already, why not?

#10 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,738 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:03

Good luck convincing Vettel to sit out. Not that he would the extra motivation of winning two more races.

#11 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:06

It makes sense from everyone's point of view except Seb's.. he loves driving the car and is on top of the world.. and RB are in a position to want to keep him happy.

#12 Steve99

Steve99

• 749 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:27

It doesn't make any sense from the point of view of teh promoters, who are selling the race with the World Champion aboard.

#13 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:51

Pragmatically, it makes sense.  But people tend not to be very pragmatic.

Firstly, it would come off as massively arrogant from RBR to not send their best out to compete.  What message is that relaying?  And I don't think Lewis, Alonso or anybody else would want to win like that.  Those drivers/teams and their fans would want to beat seb on track, not have him stay away sipping sundowners and wearing terrible floral shirts.

Also, you can't sacrifice the happiness of seb/red bull fans for the happiness of his competitors' fans (not that I think they'll be thrilled anyway).  This would be ever so slightly immoral.

So granted, you can't keep everyone happy - but you can try to keep as many happy as possible.  And this isn't the way to do it, IMO.  It will come across as unsporting and disrepectful - which it is.

Edited by KiloWatt, 13 November 2013 - 10:52.

#14 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:56

I'd rather see him go for the consecutive win record tbh.

#15 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:56

Well, if I know there's a mountain of work ahead, 22 races the following year and I've sealed the championship already, why not?

20 Races*

The New Jersey and Mexico races aren't going ahead.

#16 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:21

swap VET and RIC for the last 2 races. Vettel to grab 7th place from Sauber.

#17 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:23

It would be hilarious if Ricciardo gets the seat and beats Webber to race victories in the remaining races. What a proper send-off that would be!

Edited by ali.unal, 13 November 2013 - 11:24.

#18 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,312 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:30

Ridiculous idea, sorry mate. 

#19 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:37

Why would Vettel NOT want to drive a car that's won the last 7 races and is, barring some freak occurance, likely to win the final 2 races as well? That'd be like saying "we've won nearly every trophy so far this season boss, but as I'm leaving at the end of the season I'd like you to play a youngster in the FA Cup Final in my place". No offence, but your idea is completely bonkers.

Advertisement

#20 Steve99

Steve99

• 749 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:37

Havedn't we pissed off the US fans enough? How great it would be for them if Red Bull stand the World Champion down and slot a substitute in his place. They're paying to see the best, Vettel is that right now.

#21 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:46

I'm sure Vettel is gunning for 9 wins in a row and to tie with Schumacher's record of most wins in a season. Vettel loves to win and he loves his statistics. I'm sure at the end of the career he would be pretty annoyed at himself that he didn't give himself the chance to add 2 more wins to his win tally, even if he manages to get over 100 victories! That's the sort of competitor he is. 

#22 Mox

Mox

• 3,234 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:48

swap VET and RIC for the last 2 races. Vettel to grab 7th place from Sauber.

OR, everybody sees that the Vettel magic is more car than driver?!

#23 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:53

Why not end this season prematurely at all?  :drunk:

#24 string158

string158

• 1,055 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:31

because Sebs a racing driver, and enjoys racing fast cars?

#25 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,343 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 13:05

Thoughts?

Pass the joint. :smoking:

#26 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 13:41

Pass the joint. :smoking:

You are weeding too much into it.

#27 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 15:15

The last known Concorde Agreement to see the light of day, the 1997 version, most certainly had provision in Schedule 10 to pay the constructor an amount as determined by

- the qualifying result,

- the race result, and

- the number of points won.

So even though RBR has won the championship, there are still millions more dollars of payments to be won from Bernie if the current contract is even remotely similar.

#28 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 15:26

Am I the only one who thinks that Ricciardo wouldn't actually benefit from jumping into a completely foreign car for just one or two races?

#29 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 16:58

Am I the only one who thinks that Ricciardo wouldn't actually benefit from jumping into a completely foreign car for just one or two races?

I agree. Just let him finish the season in his current car. Seeing as all Red Bull teams share sim facilities etc., he's already ingratiating himself in other parts of the organisation on RBR's side anyway.

#30 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 19:11

You can't please everyone. From what I have seen on forums, a majority would be more than just happy to not see Seb. There's a mob wanting to see a different winner. 

Would be a pretty poor win if the main competition has been removed.

#31 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 23:25

How would Ricciardo benefit from driving the RB9 for the last two races, when next seasons' cars will be totally different anyway? That doesn't make sense.