- - - - -

Attaching a chip to an axle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:44

Our current design is just a number beaten into a metal plate who is attached to a one time use clamp. The clamp damages the axle and the metal plate gets beaten up until it is unreadable.

So we think the solution is a rubber protected clamp with a holder for a chip or the chip just glued onto the clamp.

We thought about rubber bands that you just glue together around the axle and cut every time the axle comes in for a revisjon. But -30 degrees, ice and 1 000 000 km+ runtime before it comes back in might make rubberbands an unreliable solution. Thoughts?

I started looking at normal Hose clamps but most would be unsuitable as they would not have the required bolt locking against vibrations.

My first sketch is a rubberised sheetmetal solution where the chip is glued or inside a small box with a lid that is spot welded onto the thin steel band. The yellow ball near center is the CoG. Because it might need to be at least somewhat balanced too.

The ideal solution would be something over the counter we could modify. the axels will be in the region of Ø150 to Ø200mm

https://dl.dropboxus... attachment.jpg

Edit: More precise description of the rubber band.

Edited by MatsNorway, 18 November 2013 - 11:00.

Advertisement

#2 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,366 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:58

What I would do is walk along to my friends at 3M and give them the problem.

However if you don't want to do that then how much out of balance can you tolerate, and perhaps fitting two chips per axle is not a bad approach?

The obvious solution is a bar code strip, the obvious problem is mud.

#3 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:09

Mats , what sort of revs and diameter are we takling about for the shaft please?

#4 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:58

uh. 160-200km`t wheel dia about 800-1000mm.

200 000m/h divided by 60 = 3333.3m pr min

3333.3m pr min divided by the circumference of the wheel ( Pi x dia)

3333.3 divided by 3.142 = 1061 revolutions pr minute. Correct?

The Chip type is NFC probably (don`t ask about the chip i know nothing about chips, unless their tasty)

Edit: chanced T (Timer-> Hours in Norway) to H

And rounds to revolutions ;)

Edited by MatsNorway, 18 November 2013 - 19:30.