Photo
- - - - -

Watching the race live vs watching on tv,a question.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:58

So a mate of mine was lucky enough to be in the hill on turn one in Austin and we had a long chat about the race with him earlier today.Now lets face it,that race was boring AF on T.V but according to him that was in his top 3 the most exciting two hours of his life.He said the experience itself was dumbfounding and he actually plans to attend all the races in America.not only that,but majority of those around him thought the same,many of them were first timers but were blown away by the speed and sound of the cars. It just got me thinking,are fans on the grand stands bored also or its only us poor folk watching on t.v.? is the experience really that mind blowing?I have never attended a race but I always wonder if I would get bored on a race weekend.Anyone who has race day experience care to share?

Advertisement

#2 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:17

I'm been to Spa 3 times, Silverstone once and went to watch winter testing at Barcelona in 2011. In the flesh it is very different. The noise and sheer force and speed of the cars doesn't come across that well on tv compared to the real thing. 

No idea what it will be like next year with the new engines.

But to answer your question, its awesome.

#3 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:18

The sound, but more importantly for me the smell is something you should experience at least once.  Spectating enjoyment comes down to a few things, after your interest level in the cars themselves and how much they hold your attention, the track facilities and design being a big one, Silverstone for me is generally a very poor track to watch at, mainly due to the lack of any gradient and usually no decent race information available.  That said I've been to several 6 hour endurance races at various tracks and never felt bored even though the action is a different viewing experience in a non-sprint race.  But I must admit that I have switched off somewhat watching some of the one make series when theres not much action, but as I said it comes down to the interst in the cars available.  I went with a first timer to watch the Blancpain Endurance and supporting races at Silverstone this year and he was amazed at the speed of the cars in real life particularly the change in direction, as the current wide open circuits don't have any decent reference points on the TV.  When I pointed out the F1 laptimes being 30 secs or so faster he couldn't quite grasp the idea... If possible I'd recommend you try and see a classic event with some old F1's/Can-Am's/sportscars etc to give you a blend of the atmosphere and variety of sounds available.   F1's are a must at some point but i don't think they offer the best spectator experience (particularly for the £££).

#4 RedBullFan

RedBullFan

• 64 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:23

It depends on your personality. At a race, I get bored after a while if I don't have the Live Timing.

And it's worse if I don't have a big screen, but that hasn't happened yet.

#5 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:24

Went to Monza in 2010 and 2011 and easily the best sporting experiences I have ever had.

#6 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:32

The noise is just extraordinary, and for that reason it could be the most boring race but still hold your attention. I went to Korea 2012 which was by all accounts on this forum an absolute snoozefest on TV, but I really enjoyed it. Perhaps part of that is shelling out a fair chunk of money and travelling to another country purely for this one event, so you are much more determined to enjoy it. You are so much more emotionally invested than you are when just flicking the TV on.

Also, wIthout the hundreds of camera angles and commentators you need to build up the story of the race in your own head and predict how everything will pan out, which keeps you occupied. The lack of information is a blessing because you look for different signs, different reference points. You can choose the story for yourself, it isn't chosen by the TV crew. If you know that Vettel is strolling to another easy victory, who cares? You can just focus on whether Hamilton is visually getting any closer to Raikkonen in the battle for 5th. I also love not listening to David Croft.

#7 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:38

I greatly enjoyed the times when I saw F1 live. The sound, V10 back then, definitely stays with you. That alone is reason enough to at least try to visit one race live. :up: However, as far as watching the race is concerned it's not all that. You miss most of the action unless you're sat in front of a big screen, and it's often hard to really see the race unfold.

I haven't been to F1 for a few years, and now visit the Le Mans/WEC races instead. They're ridiculously cheap, and because the races are so long and the crowds relatively small you can easily walk around the entire track, climb unto grandstands, and watch the action from all kinds of different angles. Why spend €400 on an Eau Rouge ticket if you can be there, at Pouhon, the Bus Stop, Les Combes and everything in between for just €20? :cool: It's tremendous value for money, and when it comes to sound, there's something there for everyone. From the distinct screams of the Lamborghinis, Corvettes, Ferraris or Porsches to the amazing silence of the Peugeot and Audi Diesels. That moment you realise you can identify a car by its sound is quite amusing. :p

So, in short: go to F1 at least once and try to go to a track with a great & classic atmosphere - not Bahrain or Abu Dhabi. It'll no doubt be a good experience. :up:

Edited by Nonesuch, 19 November 2013 - 13:40.

#8 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:39

The noise is just extraordinary, and for that reason it could be the most boring race but still hold your attention. I went to Korea 2012 which was by all accounts on this forum an absolute snoozefest on TV, but I really enjoyed it. Perhaps part of that is shelling out a fair chunk of money and travelling to another country purely for this one event, so you are much more determined to enjoy it. You are so much more emotionally invested than you are when just flicking the TV on.

Also, wIthout the hundreds of camera angles and commentators you need to build up the story of the race in your own head and predict how everything will pan out, which keeps you occupied. The lack of information is a blessing because you look for different signs, different reference points. You can choose the story for yourself, it isn't chosen by the TV crew. If you know that Vettel is strolling to another easy victory, who cares? You can just focus on whether Hamilton is visually getting any closer to Raikkonen in the battle for 5th. I also love not listening to David Croft.

This is also an interesting part we discussed,he has poor eyesight so he had to formulate the race scenario in his head,he knew Seb was leading, but wasn't sure about the rest after  the pit-stops.

So it means the Americans wont get bored and not come to Austin?I was really worried about attendance next year but if track side experience is different well.. :clap: :clap:

#9 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:43

I greatly enjoyed the times when I saw F1 live. The sound, V10 back then, definitely stays with you. That alone is reason enough to at least try to visit one race live. :up: However, as far as watching the race is concerned it's not all that. You miss most of the action unless you're sat in front of a big screen, and it's often hard to really see the race unfold.

I haven't been to F1 for a few years, and now visit the Le Mans/WEC races instead. They're ridiculously cheap, and because the races are so long and the crowds relatively small you can easily walk around the entire track, climb unto grandstands, and watch the action from all kinds of different angles. Why spend €400 on an Eau Rouge ticket if you can be there, at Pouhon, the Bus Stop, Les Combes and everything in between for just €20? :cool: It's tremendous value for money, and when it comes to sound, there's something there for everyone. From the distinct screams of the Lamborghinis, Corvettes, Ferraris or Porsches to the amazing silence of the Peugeot and Audi Diesels. That moment you realise you can identify a car by its sound is quite amusing. :p

So, in short: go to F1 at least once and try to go to a track with a great & classic atmosphere - not Bahrain or Abu Dhabi. It'll no doubt be a good experience. :up:

Everybody is mentions the sound,must be incredible huh?Is it more pronounced at steet tracks?would love to go to Singapore!

#10 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:43

It's a whole different experience, and a very enjoyable and memorable one. The sound, the vibration, the smell of tyre marble, the TV coverage doesn't do it justice really. I was blown away first time I watch them live. And I agree, the fact that you can pretty much focus on whichever part of battle going on track and not fixated by the information on the screen / commentator also adds to the enjoyment. When you watch live you don't really care that much about the fact that leader car was 30 seconds ahead of the second one, you just focus on the cars racing close together and excited to see how close will they be when they pass by you the next lap. Awesome experience.

#11 d246

d246

• 1,045 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:47

Been to quite a few F1 races and never fail to be impressed by the sheer spectacle.

Most telling was taking a major sports fan to his first F1 race in Singapore. The noise and brutality of the cars had him speechless. He's been back every year.

#12 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,738 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:48

TV is very far from the on track experience.

#13 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:48

seeing an f1 car in the flesh braking from 200mph to 50 or whatever is unlike any footage you will ever see on tv. Hearing the downshifts as it is doing so is unlike anything you will ever hear on tv. Same applies to accelaration.

F1 in the flesh can blow your mind to the extent you don't actually even care who's leading who. Not having up to the second information on relative laptimes, pitstops, strategies, Kravitz telling you has KERS problems and who is marginal on tyres also improves your viewing experience, because the race ceases being a script you build up in your head. Now of course some people need the script, the live timing and coms and whatever. But for me it actually detracts from the enjoyment of the sport.

By the way Austin is doing it right. Cheap tickets for the masses to take F1 in. Three days of general admission was $170 (125 euro or  105 pounds)

#14 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 639 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:49

I've been to Silverstone countless times, anything that moves I'll go and watch. 

F1 in the flesh is an exciting spectacle, to go over old ground, the noise, the smell, and something I don't think that translated across tv...the violence. Seeing Alonso hammer his Ferrari into Maggotts/Becketts is unreal, you see differences between the drivers. Vettel is incredibly smooth, Alonso and Hamilton are hustlers, you won't see a car on the limit like it is in their hands. 

Yes the experience is very different in that attending an F1 race, you're typically restricted to one portion of the track. But there's a real thrill watching the cars shoot out of view and then to the second, they re-emerge into view, even better if positions have swapped! When you're at longer events or less packed, you have lots of time to wander the circuit at your leisure, my happiest days out are strolling along whilst the WEC is in full flow. Also F1 looks far to glossy on TV, when you get to a circuit you see the curbs are crumbling, the track isn't billiard board smooth, the track is so narrow you wonder how they side by side, let alone 3 abreast at points.

Is it value for money? Each to their own. I think it's fair to say from my group of friends the first few F1 races we went to felt worth it, but when you start going to other events F1 suddenly feels extortionate, and you feel a complete idiot for paying into the machine, especially when you're soaking wet at 7am raceday trying to get a spot, and the 'beautiful' people get chauffeured around on golf buggies to their corporate seats 20 mins before lights out It defo takes the shine off (imo) paying through the nose for that.

Last year i paid £30 for grandstand access for the whole weekend for the WEC, the same seat a few weeks later was over £350 and that was a Sunday ticket for the F1 race only. To me F1 isn't 10x better than everything else, so I'll just pay for practice sessions now. You will love it the first few times, that I have no doubt, it's just whether the little niggles build and put you off in the long run.

EDIT: Someone else mentioned sound....F1 cars sound the pupp's nutts, but NOTHING compares to a full grid of WEC or FIA GT for sheer noise and power. F1 cars sound very similar in comparison. The first time we took some self described petrolheads to a proper race (FIA GT 2011 @ Silverstone) they practically dropped their guts when the cars fired up on the startline, they weren't expecting that amount of noise :lol:  

Edited by Elissa, 19 November 2013 - 14:00.

#15 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:52

Seeing a Formula 1 car in the flesh, especially in the best (fast and close) spots (such as at Becketts or Ascari) is a dramatic experience that will never be replicated, even to 10% on TV. They are simply amazing things in reality, the speed defies belief, the sound vibrates through your body. TV captures neither.

For me TV is great for watching the actual race, seeing the strategies play out etc, but at the circuit, it really doesn't matter if its practice, qualy or race or how dull the race itself is, its just the actual experience of watching each individual car pass, creating its individual "wow" moment. 

I think some sports are actually better on TV, such as football. But F1 is so violent that you have to be there for the "real" experience. But I can't understand people who go and sit in the middle of a straight, corners is where you need to be.

#16 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 13:58

But that is the case with any Motorsport.

There is the sound, the smell and the atmosphere created by fans. For me additionally there is also social aspect. When I go to see races, I go with a group of friends, when I watch them on TV, I would normally watch on my own.

I would normally arrange my time so that I can watch F1 races live but this year for example I was more than happy missing most of the Canadian GP weekend because I preferred live racing at Oulton Park.

Experiencing normal racing next to the track is in totally different bracket to watching even the best racing on TV.

#17 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:03

Everybody is mentions the sound,must be incredible huh?Is it more pronounced at steet tracks?would love to go to Singapore!

Yes it is more pronounced at street tracks. But the sound is so loud it bounces of anything so any traditional circuit where there are structures both sides and its incredible.  I was at the YDT at Silverstone earlier this year, it wasn't busy at all, I was standing opposite the new "Wing" pit structure with the big grandstand behind me, up against the fence with the photographers, just as they flick it into abby in 6th... **** me that was noisey.

#18 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:07

But that is the case with any Motorsport.

I beg to differ. A BTCC car going past doesn't really get my heart pumping. Only the top series from DTM/GP3 and up are sufficiently quick/loud enough to be really mega imo. That said, as others have said, I'll watch anything that moves.

#19 douglasross

douglasross

• 87 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:54

I have been live to a couple of races but Spa, sitting as the cars start the climb up eau rouge has to be the best. The noise is phenomenal and realising the gradients down to radillion and then up eau rouge do not come across on TV at all. Also watching the speed at which the dry racing line appears after very heavy rain is absolutely awesome. A trip to Spa at the end of August should be on every petrol heads 'bucket list'.

Advertisement

#20 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 16:31

I've been to Spa ('95), Imola ('99), Indianapolis ('02) and Barcelona ('08) and all those experiences were awesome. The simple fact that you're there to see, hear, smell and actually feel the action, is superb, and I believe every fan should try to go to a Grand Prix at least once in their life.

However, without access to a proper screen and/or live timing at the track, it is all but impossible to really know what's going on. The track accouncer is hardly hearable, and after the first round of pitstops, you're mostly lost about who's in which position. In such case, TV is a much better experience.

#21 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 16:37

I am told a single F1 car generates about 110 decibels, so the entire field at the start of the race would produce about 123 decibels. That's loud.

Not been to a race since 1991, but the noise of the cars echoing through the grandstands, and the sheer impression of speed will remain etched in my mind. Totally different to how it seems on TV, you have to try it at least once.

I'm not going to say it's the most amazing experience ever, otherwise I'd be asked why I haven't been back since........

#22 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 16:39

I prefer staying at home so I know what's going on, and using the $500 I saved on a ticket getting so intoxicated I feel like I am at the race. And then later feel like I'm on the moon, and even later feel like that girl I had a crush on when I was 12 should be answering my texts dammit.

#23 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 17:12

I'm lucky to have seen F1 cars at Silverstone, Brands Hatch and Donnington... but if I had not, I really don't know if I'd shell out for a ticket these days, but it is an experience, I guess it depends on the cost to go to your nearest GP or whether you make a holiday out of it and go somewher obscure.  I'd rather spend £30 on a ticket to the 1000km and go to a different (non-F1) live motorsport event every other week for the remainder of the season than go to Silverstone next year.

#24 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 17:46

On TV, you tend to know a lot of details about a few cars that they are following (usually the leaders or a significant battle).  At the track you have fewer details, but you know what is happening through the entire field.  Every lap, you see how the gaps have changed.  On TV, the announcer tells you that Webber dropped a second to Grosjean because his engineer said the tyre temps were getting too high.  At the track, you see that he lost time but don't know why.  You spend the next three or four laps tracking the gap between them to see what is happening.  You collect information and try to figure out what is happening.  

And the sights, sounds and smells are better in person.   

#25 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 17:54

I went to Silverstone for the first time in 2012 and it was, frankly, amazing. It's not something I'd do on a regular basis though I guess, I was a bit frustrated at not having a complete idea of what was going on. I'd definitely recommend going to a race at least once because it is such a brilliant experience, I am going to try and get to Spa and Monza in the next few years and wouldn't mind a couple more of the prestigious races but, like I said, it isn't something I'd do regularly. I certainly enjoy having all of the information like on telly.

#26 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 18:01

The atmosphere created by the sound, smell and feel of F1 cars passing by is something anyone slightly into F1 should definitely experience at some point.

#27 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 18:02

I went to see F1 cars live for the first time at the start of this year - I figured it was something I needed to do at least once despite me being a bit sceptical on how much I would enjoy it and whether I would gain anything from the experience as opposed to watching on the tv as I didn't think I would be impressed by "noise" and the expense always put me off. I managed to justify it to myself by going on holiday to Barcelona for almost a week, 2 days at the winter test, all for cheaper than a 3 day grandstand ticket at Silverstone. I couldn't have been more wrong about not being impressed by the cars, the speed/noise and just sheer violence of them was spectacular and so much more than I imagined from watching on the TV. I got off the train at Montmelo and the first thing you can hear is the sound of the F1 engines echoing around the town, despite the track being a few KM away, its enough to send shivers down your spine. I was only planning to go to the test for 1 day of my holiday, but ended up going back for a 2nd day and at no point was I bored despite it not even being a race. In fact I enjoyed it so much I booked tickets to Silverstone as well (and did a lot of overtime to pay for it). The atmosphere for the actual Grand Prix is great, and something you can't pick up on at home really and Lewis getting pole position is one of those moments I don't think I will ever forget. The whole weekend flew by but the race can be quite hard to follow without a big screen/radio so I probably prefer the testing to watch live and the race from home. Also at the winter test there were hardly any crowds so it was easier to walk around and get great views from anywhere, whereas at the race (even practise sessions) it was really busy, and once I had a vantage point I didn't really want to leave it and miss any of the time the cars were on the track as the sessions seem really short anyway without wasting them trying to find somewhere else I could actually see the track from and not just rows of other people (doesn't help that I'm really short so can't see over anyone else). If I go to watch again next year it will probably be to one of the tests they do. (haha, if... I keep looking up flights to Jerez, wish that place was easier to get to!)

#28 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 18:15

There is nothing like being at a race live, and F1 is no exception. Unlike in sportscar racing, there's really no need for live timing, or TV, or any position updates to keep in you informed as to who's running where and how close--you've got eyes for that. The sound is surreal, the visuals are surreal, and the experience is surreal. If you can go to a race and extricate yourself from driver biases, the experience becomes even better (though I must admit there's nothing like watching your favourite driver outsmart everyone on strategy and win a wet race after starting seventh  ;) ).

For the money, it's kind of tough to justify doing consistently, but it's definitely something that should be on any race fan's bucket list. I'd recommend a front-straight grandstand ticket that allows for general admission access as well, so you can view practice/qualifying from various points and be in the stands for the podiums at the end of the race. Bring binoculars, for sure.

The best option--in my opinion, anyway--is to volunteer as a corner marshal for the race. Did so for this year's Petit Le Mans--the final ever ALMS race--and will never forget the experience.

I prefer staying at home so I know what's going on, and using the $500 I saved on a ticket getting so intoxicated I feel like I am at the race. And then later feel like I'm on the moon, and even later feel like that girl I had a crush on when I was 12 should be answering my texts dammit.

:lol: :up:

#29 basjaski

basjaski

• 77 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 18:22

I've been going to races my whole life (used to go every weekend+ most weekdays when I lived as close as you can get to the entrance of Circuit Zandvoort). The first time I saw an F1 car hit Copse without lifting that was it. So much better than TV. I'd seen demo's before at various tracks but it does not compete. Not in the same universe. 

#30 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 158 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 19:36

To the Op: I was also at the race this past weekend, just like your friend.

The experience is nothing that can be compared to sitting at home watching on the couch or in front of a computer. The sights, the sounds, the passion of the fans, the smell of BBQ at 8am (in Texas), and did I mention the sound?! :)

I've only attended 2 F1 races. And both were at Austin.. So I'm not sure what race you are planning on going to. Austin has brand new facilities and plenty of access to walk not only around the track, but over it (bridge before esses (t3), bridge before triple right handed in Sector 3). There are rarely long queues for food or the toilets, which make it not feel like other sporting events I've attended. In addition, GA allows for amazing views in any sector of the circuit. So you don't need to pay for "great" seats to enjoy the weekend. I've heard this isn't the case at other circuits, but I can't properly say Ive attended other races. For me personally, I love photographing the cars with a telephoto lens and Austin has low fences and the ground is built up around the circuit. Thus, it's very amenable to photography from ga areas.

One aspect of F1 I really discovered on my most recent trip is the ability to see drivers lines into specific corners. When "panning" the drivers with a telephoto lens, your muscle memory will tell you the "normal" line when following the cars through the corners or whatever part of the track they are in. I noticed a few drivers who made serious errors or took different lines into corners based off of how they deviated from the most popular racing line. In addition, you're able to really see how the cars evolve through the weekend at certain corners. My best example is watching the cars at T11 (hairpin) this past weekend. During quali sims in FP2, the cars rear ends were very unstable and there were quite a few lockups (awesome for photos). To see the difference in qualifying was amazing, they looked planted and much more aggressive on turn in. I don't appreciate seeing the cars evolve with their set ups nearly as much on TV as I do in person.

Lastly, the atmosphere. You have 100,000+ with the same passion as you all around. Soak it all in. Strike up a few conversations with fellow fans or "enemies" (if they're wearing another teams gear)! It's also a great excuse to travel and see another city. Austin's food and nightlife is amazing!! But there is nothing like hearing the cars and seeing them in person. Or the rush of running down the pit lane to see the podium. You just have to experience it..

#31 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 379 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 19:44

I've been to Hungary 2011 and Belgium 2013.

In 2011 it was my first time and I was sitting on the main straight. It was pretty cool to see the start, pitstops and everything. There was also a bit of rain. Was there only for Sunday and all in all it was a great experience.

But Spa this year just blew my mind. Was there for the whole weekend. Getting signatures and pictures with drivers on Thursday, walking around the whole track in practice and watching qualy and race from Gold 8 (Turn One).

The sound and the atmosphere are great. it was awesome. You can't see everything and know everything, because you can only see the picture from the big screen, no commentary and no live timing. But you don't have the time to check those because there is always something happening. As one poster said above, go to a track where there are a lot of fans because they make the atmosphere!

Can't wait for Austria next year! :D

#32 DS27

DS27

• 4,685 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 19:54

Watched the Monaco GP from a 'works' balcony overlooking the Mirabeau.

Sacrilege to say it, but I ended up in a back office watching a TV so that I knew who was where. Yes, the sights and sounds are wonderful and must be experienced at some time, but for me I always wanted to understand what was going on in the race as well.

#33 Kimione

Kimione

• 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:01

I have visited Imola '06, Monza '12 and Hungaroring '13.. In Monza 2012 you were able to rent little TV/information screen called Fanvision so you could watch the race "live" and from TV. You could select different commentary (from BBC or RAI for example). You could also choose your favourite driver's incar camera or pitlane camera and you were able to get very detailed data as seen on the pitlane monitors. Unfortunately this service is not anymore available for Formula 1 http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105060 Anyway this kind of service really boosts your spectator experience. For example in Hungaroring '13 It was really hard to follow the positions (without this kind of service) because different tire strategies.. I hope some kind of similar service comes back soon!

If you are interested about motorsport / Formula 1 history then going to the racetrack gives you good possibilities to learn about history. Especially in Monza it's great to see all the old fashioned infrastructure: the old oval racetrack and all the buildings around the racetrack itself. I can also recommend to go to the racetrack on Thursday because on that day you have possibility for the pitlane walk and you can ask autographs from the drivers. It's fun to see and pose with those persons in real life that you have seen in TV only.

One of the greatest thing to do is chat with other fans. In Hungaroring when carrying Finnish flag I could walk only little distance and there was somebody who wanted to talk with me.. I have made many new friends with the fans around the world.. And even if you are not the fan of same driver/team it's fun to have those conversations in social media about the races with the people you have met earlier in real life. If you are lucky enough you can chat with the drivers, other team members or maybe with the commentator of your local Formula 1 TV-show. 

I can also recommend official after parties of Formula 1 races. In Budapest the event in Symbol nightclub was so posh.. It was hard to breath in the middle of all those beautiful women wearing latest fashion creations.

If you just want to watch the race (without Fanvision) it may be good idea to stay at home. But if your attitude is go to see what is F1 circus about on all levels then it's highly recommend to go and take everything of it.. 

#34 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:02

Been to Silverstone 11, 12 and 13 and Monza 2013. 

Watching on TV is nothing like being there. At both races this year I couldn't see a screen at all so it was hard to know what was happening in detail. Had Twitter though. 

Even during the safety car periods at Silverstone was good. And at Monza on the run down to Parabolica, seeing the cars weaving to heat tyres looks like nothing on TV but so much more brutal in real life. 

Best place I've heard an F1 car was between Lesmo and Ascari, as they come out from under the old banked circuit, and sa they went through Ascari.

Edited by SpartanChas, 19 November 2013 - 20:08.

#35 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:30

Never been to a race but my assumption. If it's an exciting race, you may miss a lot without the TV coverage (and live timing). But even if the race is boring, the race is probably a great experience.

#36 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 23:26

Everybody is mentions the sound,must be incredible huh?

Let me put it this way: when I was at Spa-Francorchamps, you could clearly hear the V10s coming up trough the forest from the other side of the track. As in, from La Source to Rivage. It became a mess as soon as more cars went out on track, but that first car out... that was quite impressive. :up:

Edited by Nonesuch, 19 November 2013 - 23:27.

#37 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 2,014 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 23:51

Wondering around the track is great, obviously the sound is the main thing that hits you. You definitely want to go to a heavy braking zone, and to a high speed direction change :)

#38 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 00:10

This is my new policy. Went to the WEC race at Silverstone this year and it tops both the Grand Prix I went to at the same track (2009 and 2012), because it's so relaxed, you can get round the circuit without Bernie charging you the earth and even the paddock was open to walk round during the race! Will be going again next season for Mark's debut in the Porsche, and hope to maybe get to Spa or somewhere too.

It's funny that the best F1 experience I've had is testing in Jerez... Grand Prix are amazing experiences but they are expensive, restrictive, and ultimately not that great value for money when there are other ways to get close to these cars that are so much cheaper. There are races I still want to go to like Spa, Monza and Monaco but they are very expensive events to organise for.

#39 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 00:21

Put it this way, last British GP, my favourite driver + the favourite for the win went out with an issue .... yet I was actually surprised when the last lap came round as I was so engrossed in the spectacle .... yet on TV I usually have to do something else to keep from being bored.

The biggest issue is the sound.... that does not come across on TV. 

Advertisement

#40 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 00:21

This is my new policy. Went to the WEC race at Silverstone this year and it tops both the Grand Prix I went to at the same track (2009 and 2012), because it's so relaxed, you can get round the circuit without Bernie charging you the earth and even the paddock was open to walk round during the race! Will be going again next season for Mark's debut in the Porsche, and hope to maybe get to Spa or somewhere too.

It's funny that the best F1 experience I've had is testing in Jerez... Grand Prix are amazing experiences but they are expensive, restrictive, and ultimately not that great value for money when there are other ways to get close to these cars that are so much cheaper. There are races I still want to go to like Spa, Monza and Monaco but they are very expensive events to organise for.

I agree, I also prefer testing to the races.

#41 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:41

Thanks for all the replies guys!Jesus Christ I feel like getting a bank loan now to go to one next year!

I made a pact with my dad that we would only go to an F1 race when it comes back to the continent (Africa) or to the classic tracks.Bernie is always talking about South Africa but its like they are still recovering from the world cup and don't seem particularly interested.There are rumors of Morocco but access to the north African countries is really tricky and bloody expensive!(Imagine its cheaper to go London from where I am then go to Morocco!) plus the prices in those Arab countries will be unbelievably high.

My best bet is Abu Dhabi but it doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere,or  I am wrong?

#42 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:57

I agree, I also prefer testing to the races.

It's the way you can go to a particular corner and dedicate some time to just watching different cars and drivers approach it, without the time 'wasted' meaning anything... it's not like you're missing out on any real action other than watching great cars and drivers dance their way through certain corners. It was in the chicane at Jerez last season that I was truly convinced of Grosjean's talent, as he was just mesmeric at certain points in mid-corner and exit, and watching the Red Bull's tackling the faster stuff earlier in the lap was always a treat.

Thanks for all the replies guys!Jesus Christ I feel like getting a bank loan now to go to one next year!

I made a pact with my dad that we would only go to an F1 race when it comes back to the continent (Africa) or to the classic tracks.Bernie is always talking about South Africa but its like they are still recovering from the world cup and don't seem particularly interested.There are rumors of Morocco but access to the north African countries is really tricky and bloody expensive!(Imagine its cheaper to go London from where I am then go to Morocco!) plus the prices in those Arab countries will be unbelievably high.

My best bet is Abu Dhabi but it doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere,or  I am wrong?

If you are thinking about your first Grand Prix make it somewhere that is special to you. I don't think 'atmosphere' matters that much when you are engrossed in what is going on on the track. Silverstone the two times I've been for a Grand Prix has a brilliant crowd and it is something special to be a part of, but your first Grand Prix is a very personal experience too, seeing and hearing the cars up close and properly for the first time, so I'd say go wherever you can get to easiest, because it's still a seat at a track that's holding an F1 race right there. 

Personally, I'd go to Spa. The greatest track in Europe and only bettered by Suzuka in the world IMO. I'm aiming to go for the first time next year, not sure what event yet, but probably not F1 because of the price, so maybe WEC 6 Hours or the 24 Hour Blancpain race...

#43 F1Squishy

F1Squishy

• 65 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:15

F1 cars are so loud that if you screamed as loud as you can when one passed you,at full speed, you're mate sitting next to you wouldn't be able to hear you.

Beside the amazing sights and sounds, one thing that's not mentioned much that really hit me when i saw them live was the actual vibration felt through your body, pretty incredible stuff!

#44 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:16

I love live and I love tv.  The former for all the reasons given - sights, sounds, talk to the drivers, etc. 

But at home I have the best seats in the house :p

#45 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:11

I've done Jerez testing for the past two years and it's a very good experience. Great way of doing F1 on-the-cheap.

Though for me a big part of watching a race is the challenge of following the race without the information given to you on the TV/live timing.

#46 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:02

How about the Bahrain winter test (various dates from 22nd Feb)?

It'll be virtually free to get in so that will save you a few hundred $$. 

#47 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,055 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:54

been to a few grand prixs over the last 20 years in a few different countries and have enjoyed them, but going to Le Mans last year completely blew it all out of the water. I don't know if I could go to a motorsport even that would top it (I'm thinking Indy would be good). My first sight of the cars was at the Porsche Curves on the Thursday evening qualifying, and I was not bored of it come 3pm Sunday. An amazing experience and I'll be going back in 2014.

#48 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:14

I've been to Hockenheim '02, Barcelona '04, Spa test in '08, Monza '08, Hungary '09, Canada '12 and a few qualifying sessions in Spa '09, '12 and '13. After a few races you think "I know what it sounds like, I don't think I'll be amazed this time as I was last time"... but then the first car exits te pits, you feel it coming, engine noise screaming in your ears, up and downshifts pressing on your chest... it's god damn incredible. TV broadcast is NOTHING compared to the thing in real life. 

It's also funny that here on Autosport.com you've got strong bias or hate towards certain drivers, but on the stands, everbody loves everbody, and no matter how much you hate Vettel or Hamilton, you still clap your hands when they grab pole or perform an overtake.

Edited by JeePee, 20 November 2013 - 11:16.

#49 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:17

Sacrilege to say it, but I ended up in a back office watching a TV so that I knew who was where. Yes, the sights and sounds are wonderful and must be experienced at some time, but for me I always wanted to understand what was going on in the race as well.

get away from the balcony and walk down to casino and la piscine. My girlfriend was very nonplussed about F1 .. "oh you 're watching the little cars again", took her to watch the cars into casino from ontop the Hermes store and la piscine and she was literally blown away. Now she watches the little cars too :)

#50 Roscoe

Roscoe

• 136 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:33

This is pretty much my view as well.  Whereas it's obviously a good experience to see the sights and sounds up close, I also found myself wanting to know what was going on in the race as a whole away from the 3 corners I could see.  I've been a few times and I am honestly not sure if I would go again.