Photo

Buenos Aires 1000 km 1972 no-shows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 516 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 23:40

It's been reported that the original entry list for the Buenos Aires 1000 Km of 9.1.1972 included the #18 Lola T212 entered by Ecurie Bonnier, to be driven by Niki Lauda & Chris Craft. In the event the car was raced by the Argentinians Hector Luis Gradassi & Emilio Bertolini. Is it known if Lauda ever tested the car before it was shipped to South America, or even sat behind the wheel?

Advertisement

#2 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 13:33

I think you should ask the man himself. He was at that time in the most difficult period of his career. Focussing to get the best out of the Marches he raced in F1 and F2. He did go to Argentina for the Grand Prix at the end of January. Only in May did he get behind the wheel of a non monoposto again.

#3 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 516 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 21:31

Nice point Arjan, though I'm not sure that even the modern-day more mellow Mr Lauda is that easy to pin down. With the 1972 GP taking place on January 23rd, it led me to wonder whether he had been in Argentina in time for the 1000 km and there was some other reason why he didn't compete; or whether it was simply logistically unachievable for him to be there at the time? And what were the circumstances of his proposed drive for Ecurie Bonnier; he never raced for them and as far as I am aware, was never entered for another race by them?

Edited by Jon Saltinstall, 20 November 2013 - 21:35.