* * * * * 5 votes

Goodbye and thank you Mark Webber

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#51 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:12

Wishing him all the best in Porsche next season... Only started noticing him halfway through his career, seems like I missed out on watching an amazing journey from the very beginning. Decent bloke, he will be missed :up: :up:

Advertisement

#52 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:13

At least the dogs didn't run off with one of Eddies wigs!! lol :p

#53 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,083 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:15

I will miss him  :( Good luck Mark ...

Miss him?? He's not disappearing - just moving to another series. You can still follow him.

#54 Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg

• 326 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:19

Good driver, but I won't miss him! 

#55 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:21

What about Jenson? He seems the same kind of decent bloke... you're right though these kind of drivers are a dying breed in F1, where it's all preened and proper kids now. No-one can match Mark's honesty and wit without it sounding really forced... I'm looking at you Sebastian!

Well Jenson is a little more streamlined imho, but due to his choice of female partners, I would include him in the "manly man" club. (the reason I gave is a joke - but I know we Germans should never have an attempt at humour)

But I must say I would miss Jenson as well. It is kind of scary, that soon all we will have in F1 are wannabe Popstar, Samurais, Britenys and jounior driver proteges.  

#56 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,271 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:42

Sad to see him leave F1. however on the bright side, WEC is a lot cheaper to go to and far more fan friendly. On top of that it it a great weekend. The access you have is fantastic.

I'm looking forward to it. :D

#57 maximilian

maximilian

• 482 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 13:06

The defining moment in Mark's career - an unforced error that ultimately made the difference between being World Champion and non-champion.

I'll miss him around F1 a lot, he is and has been my #1 favorite and likable driver, and he'll be the last of the guys I liked to follow in F1 to leave (provided Heikki doesn't get a seat next season).

Have fun with the Porsches, stay safe, mate! :cool:

#58 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 13:24

I'm actually tempted to keep a mental note of how many times I hear that Mark Webber is "retiring" this weekend. Leaving F1, yes, but not retiring. You don't say you're retiring when you leave one job and move on to another.

It'd be great to see him win his last F1 race though. And I can't wait to see him back in a proper form of motorsport again ( :p ) next year in the WEC. No tyre saving or any of that rubbish - just pure racing.

#59 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 13:37

I'm actually tempted to keep a mental note of how many times I hear that Mark Webber is "retiring" this weekend. Leaving F1, yes, but not retiring. You don't say you're retiring when you leave one job and move on to another.

It'd be great to see him win his last F1 race though. And I can't wait to see him back in a proper form of motorsport again ( :p ) next year in the WEC. No tyre saving or any of that rubbish - just pure racing.

Sounds like a good drinking game to me.  :up:

Good luck at Porsche Mark.

Advertisement

#60 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 417 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 14:24

I was just about to write about that...gives me goosebumps every time.

Good luck Mark, this weekend and beyond!

#61 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,956 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 14:24

Brilliant outpouring of emotion over team radio after his first win.

Will miss Webber - one of the few great characters left on the grid.

#62 Peat

Peat

• 1,368 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 14:25

http://www.telegraph...of-sadness.html

#63 superden

superden

• 399 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 14:27

Miss him?? He's not disappearing - just moving to another series. You can still follow him.

Quite. I'm getting a little bored listening to 'fans' and pundits acting as if he's dying, rather than just heading off to compete in another world class series ... 

As a fan of endurance racing, I will be following his progress at Porsche with interest. Formula One is losing a real character, talented, forthright and an all-round good bloke.

Edited by superden, 21 November 2013 - 14:37.

#64 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,761 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 14:35

From Autosport:

"Red Bull driver Mark Webber said it was important to him that he retired from Formula 1 racing before his performance level began to slip"

Is this a piss take or is it supposed to be ironic?

#65 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 15:30

He's been given an early exit from the contract and starts with Porsche on this Monday after the Brazilian GP:

http://www.carsguide...rom_f1_20131120

I have never been a big fan of Mark Webber but I wish him the best of luck with Porsche. It will be great if he could win something in the WEC.

#66 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 15:34

Quite. I'm getting a little bored listening to 'fans' and pundits acting as if he's dying, rather than just heading off to compete in another world class series ... 

As a fan of endurance racing, I will be following his progress at Porsche with interest. Formula One is losing a real character, talented, forthright and an all-round good bloke.

But but but Formula One is the pinnacle of motorsport, and it is out of the question that a driver would leave because he wants to race in something else. :p

F1 media logic.

#67 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 15:55

If he wins, he could out-do Vettel and instead of doughnuts, he could do a flip :p 

#68 kimister

kimister

• 1,014 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 16:57

Of course  :p  Just I wanted to watch him in F1, though I will certainly follow his progress in Le Mans.

#69 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 515 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 17:22

F1 is dying, in 4 years it will be gone. Marks done a good thing and gone to a real race series.

#70 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 927 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 17:40

I will miss him in F1 for sure. Always liked him. Although he didn't have the satisfying success, at least he's going more or less on his own terms, and not being thrown out. He might make me follow other series too from now on, if I find the time to do so.

#71 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 118 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 17:41

F1 is dying, in 4 years it will be gone. Marks done a good thing and gone to a real race series.

What are you smoking! what makes you think it will be gone in four years?

#72 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,617 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 18:16

Mark Webber is one of my favourite characters in F1 and I'll miss him next year. He's undoubtedly been comprehensively outshone by Vettel recently, but in spite of that he can retire from the sport with his head held high, safe in the knowledge he's achieved a hell of a lot more than a large proportion of F1 drivers; past and present. His achievements have been well earned.

All the best Mark.

#73 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,863 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 18:34

I've said it when the deal with Porsche was leaked by Radio Le Mans all the way back in April: it'll be fantastic to have Webber in sportscars, with a manufacturer that has made Le Mans its home over the years and is coming back to that home next year. I'll be going to Le Mans again next year for the whole of race week, and hoping to catch a glimpse of a smiling, relaxed, laid-back driver in a driver- and fan-friendly paddock. :)

#74 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 18:54

I don't think Mark will massively care about WEC as a championship (any way you look at it - whether you like F1 or not - it's a downgrade) but the crown of the jewel, Le Mans is entirely different as that is the one race in the world that goes on top of everything else. Will be interesting how he fares there, considering he never actually did any racing laps there in '98 or 99. Porsche will be on the top of their game no matter what happens so machinery wise it should be all good - though brand new cars tend to have some gremlins - but Audi will be extremely hard to beat. Toyota, ehh, well see.

#75 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,656 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 18:59

What a great win that was, too. 

I'll admit, he never quite lived up the potential I think he had in him, but he was still great to watch and a top bloke. 

The level of character in the sport will take a sharp knock with him gone.

#76 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 792 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 19:08

I'm glad he quit while he was still performing at a decent level (see his qualifying at Abu Dhabi for proof that he's still quick).

Fell pleased I got to see him win a race, Silverstone last year. And that he's been on the podium at all of the 4 races I've been to. I'll have to go and see him driving that Porsche next year.

Cheers Mark.

#77 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 19:11

I'll have to go and see him driving that Porsche next year.

At Silverstone? You'll get quite a bit of racing off from that weekend as in addition to the 6 hour feature event there's also a 4 hour ELMS race and bunch of support series.

#78 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 595 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 19:37

Yep, top bloke, honest not trying to put words in a "beautiful" pr talk to please someone, fast but unfulfilled potential. These Pirellis really doesn't suit him, who knows maybe if F1 would back to rock tires he would still had another shot in a title, sometimes he show that the speed is still there. The F1 is no land for old men, arises in the mouth too much to care about not enough racing flat out too much has changed for Mark, as it's his end of the road in F1 there's a lot interviews with him great to read. His departure it's a start of sign that other established drivers from early 2000's like Alonso, Massa, Raikkonen, Button the last that raced powerful V10 and monster 2004 cars are going soon to retire. Wish him good luck in next career steps. 

Edited by ArkZ, 21 November 2013 - 19:39.

#79 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,956 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 19:38

Just watched some of the driver press conference - Mark speaking with a Steve McClaren style accent  :drunk:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2ZnoP4sUV90

Advertisement

#80 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 792 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 19:49

Yeah, I noticed it too. What was up with that?!

#81 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,956 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 19:52

Yeah, I noticed it too. What was up with that?!

No idea but it was hilarious!

At first I thought he was just talking slowly but definite accent added for good effect  :up:

#82 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 20:06

webberbrasilinterlagos2111rt.JPG

#83 vista

vista

• 553 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 20:38

I will miss his character and personality. He definitely has talent and is quick but was never the complete driver. I admire him coming from Minardi (and started F1 in an relatively high age) an establish himself in F1. In my opinion he has been the most unlucky driver on the grid. And it's sad he never understood the pirelli tyres. I will also remember him for that fantastic overtake in eau rouge on Alonso.

Good luck in Porsche, Mark! 

#84 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,470 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 23:32

Might bookmark this.

#85 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 23:39

There is a better chance of hell freezes over than no F1 in 4 years time. 

#86 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 851 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 00:01

I'll see you at Le Mans. Good luck!  :wave:

#87 sneaker91

sneaker91

• 218 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 00:09

Years ago long before the Red Bull destruction. I said to my brother "Webber will be a never was"

Thanks Mark

#88 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,380 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 00:12

Years ago long before the Red Bull destruction. I said to my brother "Webber will be a never was"

Thanks Mark

Bit harsh. 9 GP wins is certainly not a bad achievement...

#89 sneaker91

sneaker91

• 218 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 00:20

Bit harsh. 9 GP wins is certainly not a bad achievement...

His teammate wins 4WCs in a row.
Can equal Schumis record of wins in a season next race.

Barrichello Mark II
Webber can't even pick up a win.
1 race left to do it.

Edited by sneaker91, 22 November 2013 - 00:23.

#90 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,620 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 00:51

Bittersweet.  It always ends at some point.  He's probably picked a good time but in some ways there can never be a good time.  Two things that stick out to me is his ridiculous luck and low moments of his career.. especially during 2006 but also during other times, and his outstanding character and sense of humour and honesty etc.  Even if just for the Monaco wins alone.. quite a good career.  Could have been more, but also.. could have not even made it at all.  Just to make it to F1 is an achievement these days.  Something rarely mentioned is that he is one of those rare drivers that never puts it in the wall.. in practice or otherwise.  The cars are easy to drive these days but even back in the earlier times, isn't one to just spin off into a wall.  If only the starts had been better.  And the ironic thing is, he DID spin off in Korea, at the worst possible time.  Another highlight.. the one lap qualifying with average cars.  Some very strong results and performances.  But it can't last forever though.

#91 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 445 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:09

Webbo, a good guy who really did get the DC treatment, but in a new and much more clever way... it can't be fun to have a team mate who is 4/4 while he's been 0/4 in the "same car", I suppose it's been clear to him since Malaysia this year that it'll never change so it's off to porsche, good luck webbo but I would have preferred a stint at Ferrari rather than having kimster there next year and who knows, maybe turbos would have been good to him.

#92 404KF2

404KF2

• 2,348 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:22

I loved his rubber face, top guy.  The rest are mostly robots.

#93 ch103

ch103

• 760 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:29

Just want to use this thread to say Thank You to Mark Webber.  In my opinion, 2010 was supposed to be his title.  The team didn't have his back, "same car" etc... but it is what it is.  And as far as I am concerned he is on par with all of the 1x WDC.  Gonna be a tough race to watch for sure...

Cheers Mark!

#94 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:39

From Autosport:

"Red Bull driver Mark Webber said it was important to him that he retired from Formula 1 racing before his performance level began to slip"

Is this a piss take or is it supposed to be ironic?

He is aware that he's been far off many times this year, but as he's still got the ability to have a serious crack at both pole and the win, then he still merits being here. That's what he means. 

#95 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,318 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:55

Does anyone know if RBR are doing anything cool for Marks final race? I know he had a dinner with all of them on Wednesday...but will there be a special livery or anything?

#96 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 451 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:00

Tough career to follow, but overall rewarding and i think Mark has made Australian F1 fans very proud. One of the fastest drivers over a single lap i have ever seen, watching him qualify has always been exciting especially back in the day when they only had 1 lap. He was an absolute beast on the michelins and some of his performances over the years have been stand outs. It's also amazing that he is going from one of the biggest F1 teams to potentially the biggest WEC team in Porche. What a fantastic career and it's still got a long way to go.

#97 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,231 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:45

His teammate wins 4WCs in a row.
Can equal Schumis record of wins in a season next race.

Barrichello Mark II
Webber can't even pick up a win.
1 race left to do it.

Still qualifies within 2 tenths of the soon to be GOAT in his prime, sometimes beating him as has been the case recently. 

Only grosjean and vettel have scored more points than him in the 2nd half of the season.

Still easily one of the quickest men on the grid  :wave: 

#98 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:10

Still qualifies within 2 tenths of the soon to be GOAT in his prime, sometimes beating him as has been the case recently. 

Only grosjean and vettel have scored more points than him in the 2nd half of the season.

Still easily one of the quickest men on the grid  :wave: 

The fact that Grosjean scored more points in a lesser car does not speak for Mark. But i think it does not matter. He is still quick and his carreer was good. Great guy as well and I will miss the rubbing between him and Vettel.

#99 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:25

The fact that Grosjean scored more points in a lesser car does not speak for Mark. But i think it does not matter. He is still quick and his carreer was good. Great guy as well and I will miss the rubbing between him and Vettel.

You can hardly pick on him for the points. Mark would be a clear 2nd in the championship without his 4 did not finishes and host of other reliability issues.

Advertisement

#100 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,493 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:28

My favourite sport - watching Webber in F1. Really looking forward to Porsche! But a little sad. I stumbled across the 2002 race in Melbourne while channel flipping and have been hooked on F1 since that day!

Very good interview with him on the official F1 site. A bit funny but basically saying he was just not quick enough. Still, all the lows made those highs absolutely ecstatic! There have been a few air punches of joy over the years haha