* * * * * 5 votes

Goodbye and thank you Mark Webber

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#151 MonacoMaster

MonacoMaster

• 104 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 19:06

If Seb had let him pass, I am sure he would be remembered for that gesture more than his another "record" :mad:

Lol, I don't think so. 

Advertisement

#152 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 19:14

If Seb had let him pass, I am sure he would be remembered for that gesture more than his another "record" :mad:

Unless it's earned, Mark wouldn't want that IMO. I'd rather have it the way it is, retiring with dignity and clearly enjoying the moment.

#153 dreamer

dreamer

• 585 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 19:31

He had a good career. He was very unlucky this year.

Edited by dreamer, 24 November 2013 - 19:31.

#154 DS27

DS27

• 1,053 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 19:49

I'll miss Mark - One less character in F1

#155 ATM

ATM

• 152 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 21:03

"Britney's in the wall"...you don't get such statements from today's PR robots anymore. 

#156 BT44/45

BT44/45

• 56 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 21:07

"Britney's in the wall"...you don't get such statements from today's PR robots anymore. 

+1

#157 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,655 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 21:20

Thanks for some awesome racing Mark,I'm going to try and follow the Le Mans next year

#158 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 21:30

Unless it's earned, Mark wouldn't want that IMO. I'd rather have it the way it is, retiring with dignity and clearly enjoying the moment.

Indeed; it would have been 'nice', but I imagine Webber might have felt patronised, so probably best avoided.

#159 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,167 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 21:30

Goodbye Mark, have fun racing Porches for the rest of your career.  :wave:  He's always been a great competitor and a straight-talker, I'll miss him  :)

Advertisement

#160 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 266 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 22:30

Good luck next year Mark, I'll certainly miss your presence in F1. Thank you for all the great racing you've produced, especially your final win which I was lucky enough to witness!

WEBSILVERSTONE.jpg

#161 Jerem

Jerem

• 180 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 22:50

Never had anything in particular for Mark, but he was a special character in F1. Of course his first race with Minardi is a highlight, as are his almost-win in Fuji and his first win despite a penalty in Germany. I loved how he took his helmet off during his in-lap today, was nice to see his face and how he talked about how noisy the cars are. Best wishes for the rest of his career.

#162 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,270 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 22:58

One thing that really struck you seeing him without the helmet on (a nice gesture by the way, symbolising his characteristic openness to the fans one last time) is how very low an F1 driver's eyeline really is in the car. Amazing stuff. 

#163 medeni73

medeni73

• 340 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 23:05

MARK, thank you  :up: :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:   and this was funny  :lol:   

BZ21JUIIUAAfQxo.jpg

By the way, ıt was cool when he took off his helmet; feeling the wind in a F1 car  :up:​  

I havent seen the video and when I saw this photo I thought "WOW The Man Mark dog-pissed on Vettels trophy!!!" :cool:

#164 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 541 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 23:12

Mark is one of those straight characters of F1 and a solid driver. It has been a pleasure to see him race during these years.

I wish him the best and thanks mate.

#165 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,996 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 23:14

Is the result and podium a metaphor for the second half of his career - nearly there, and dicing with the best of them.

Fantastic to see the massive grin on the podium, how many people leave F1 that happy :up:

#166 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,394 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 00:01

Is there an audio thing on this one? I looked for it but couldn't find it, the text alone was hilarious :D

Thanks Mark for these good years, I really liked his attitude also when things didn't go to plan. This is the right time to bow out and he did very well today. The inlap was special, without his helmet on. Immense.

Btw, a question: I didn't hear him say anything back over the radio, which was displayed when he drove around with his helmet off. Anyone too thinks he didn't hear that because he had no helmet / plugs / etc? Or he just didn't bother and thanked them when they thanked him on the penultimate lap.

#167 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,055 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 00:21

Goodbye Mark Webber, enjoy your new Porsche.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Ditto....sad as he still had a year or 2 in him at Ferrari or Lotus.

#168 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,328 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 00:32

Dear Mark,

Please bring Porsche another victory at LeMans.

Thank you.

#169 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 779 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:22

Is the result and podium a metaphor for the second half of his career - nearly there, and dicing with the best of them.

Spot on. 

This race, and his 2013 WDC result, encapsulate his F1 career, at least the second half.

#170 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,811 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:27

Tribute video for Mark Webber. I never said it before, but he's an F1 legend for me. Would it be fair to see him as the Gerhard Berger calibre?

#171 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:28

I had to blink away tears on his final lap. He was probably one of my favorite drivers but I found his retirement more emotional than Schumacher's because this season really feels like the end of an era and the beginning of a new one.

:cry: :cry:

#172 2020

• 15 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:35

Honestly good riddance. He spent 5 years wasting the best cars of the era, with his clumsy racing and constant inability to start properly. He should have been sacked after his woeful 2011 season, but was instead kept on, solely as a number 2 despite many better options being available, and robbing the audience of better world championship battles. Just a pity his team rejected the advances of a bunch of great drivers and replaced him with another number 2.

#173 paipa

paipa

• 249 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:00

That would have been the most disrespectful thing Vettel could have done and the reason is that Mark couldn't win a race this season to save his life. If he had won a couple of races it would have been a gesture, but this way it would have felt like alms.

#174 Redback

Redback

• 719 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:54

Honestly good riddance. He spent 5 years wasting the best cars of the era, with his clumsy racing and constant inability to start properly. He should have been sacked after his woeful 2011 season, but was instead kept on, solely as a number 2 despite many better options being available, and robbing the audience of better world championship battles. Just a pity his team rejected the advances of a bunch of great drivers and replaced him with another number 2.

Joined the forum yesterday at 17.59.

Nuff said...

#175 malioil

malioil

• 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:15

Like many have said, Mark may have not been one of the all-time greats but he most certainly was a solid driver and a pleasure to have on the grid. As one of his supporters, things have not always been rosy but the great moments (such as Germany 2009) really made it worthwhile. 

In 2007, when I was 13, I was having tea with my father at a hotel in Bahrain. At the time the F1 teams were testing, and indeed the day before I had spent many hours at the track just watching the cars test. I stretched back, looked behind me and saw Mark Webber sitting alone. I approached him and he shook my hand, it was such a powerful handshake my hand actually hurt. He spent about 20 minutes having tea with me, a young boy and talking about F1. It might have been about midnight and I remember being very tired, there are so many things now in retrospect I wish I would have said. 

For a boy of 13, that experience really was something. So many drivers would have just posed for a photograph, signed something and got on with their day. Not Mark- he took the time, and those 20 minutes wound up making an enormous impact on a young persons life, to be able to sit and see their hero in the flesh. I guess that is the impact some of these people can have on others. It is funny how such little effort from people you might have looked up to when you were a youngster can prove to have such a great impact in your formative years. 

So, I want to say thank you to Mark. Not just for taking the time, but for the good and bad times we have all had as your supporters in Formula 1. As Mark has said, "Le mans is not an old people's home". He is not retiring, simply moving from one wold-class series to another. I look forward to following the FIA WEC next year and continuing to root for Mark Webber. 

#176 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,522 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:27

Joined the forum yesterday at 17.59.

Nuff said...

It's just another Attack of the clones. It's the same guy who polluted the threads for ages.

#177 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,793 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:34

Really nice scenes yesterday before, at the end and then after the race.

Absolute rubbish. RBR have won 4 of the 5 WDC and WCC titles in the timeframe you mention so hardly much waste.

As for your claim that audiences were robbed, how do you know others would have fared better?

#178 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:40

Goodbye Mark Webber, enjoy your new Porsche.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Look at him. Just look at him. Frickin badass. I will miss guys like him in F1. He was one of the last (if not the last) from the era of badassery. Compare his jaw to Vettel's.

I still remember when Red Bull Racing was The Jaw Team. Now we will have  The Finger and The Butt.

No offence towards any driver on the current grid, but I can't find new drivers that are as manly as Mark was (Button is an exception).

#179 03011969

• 497 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:43

Really nice scenes yesterday before, at the end and then after the race.

Absolute rubbish. RBR have won 4 of the 5 WDC and WCC titles in the timeframe you mention so hardly much waste.

As for your claim that audiences were robbed, how do you know others would have fared better?

Don't feed the trolls...

Advertisement

#180 NexusIcon

NexusIcon

• 154 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:55

See ya and thanks for the memories, ya big gallah.

#181 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,874 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:59

Farewell to the only F1 driver to have presented the prizes at my daughter's school. It was during Mark's time with the Jaguar F1 team and it was (of course) part of the Ford corporate social responsibility schtick. However Mark did it with sincerity, humour and good grace. The only downside was that the school split the prize-giving over two days - Mark did the first day but my daughter got her prizes on the second day - from the manager of a local supermarket!

Edited by Amphicar, 25 November 2013 - 12:00.

#182 acelik

acelik

• 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 17:42

this man won't be forgetten easily. He was so happy and crazy even if he fell down he was still laughing. Good bye Mark

#183 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 18:47

Sad to see Webber retire. He was a major character for the sport (not because he drove for redbull). I can't forget that moment in Korea when he crashed out in 2010.

Hopefully we will see him many times at the races looking on.

#184 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 747 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 19:16

Good luck next year Mark, I'll certainly miss your presence in F1. Thank you for all the great racing you've produced, especially your final win which I was lucky enough to witness!

WEBSILVERSTONE.jpg

I was there too, never realized it was his final win though! For some reason I thought he'd won since.

I laughed and cried a bit simultaneously when he took his lid off, a brilliant moment. Only been watching a few years so his was the first retirement I've seen of a driver I really like. Hearing his final interview with Brundle after it started to hit me how much I'm going to miss him.

Cheers Mark. Really gonna try to get to Silverstone for the WEC next year.

E: when was that photo taken? Iirc is was raining on Friday and Saturday, which leaves Sunday. Where are all the spectators though?

Edited by SpartanChas, 25 November 2013 - 19:48.

#185 stulbenis

stulbenis

• 32 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 20:43

http://ow.ly/i/3PFvi/original
Mark at San Paulo airport :)

#186 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 20:59

Never used to be a fan of his, but it quickly changed. I love how open and honest he is and the fact that he is a genuine person. He races hard, and he races fair.

He will be a huge loss to the sport. We need more characters who express themselves like he did. 

Still, sportscar's are better off with him and for that reason I can not be displeased. Will be enjoying watching him win in sportscars!

#187 Arska

Arska

• 735 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 21:07

He was and is a real character, which is why I appreciate him. I wasn't a fan of him a few years ago when he was getting involved in multiple collisions. Lately it was just a shame that he wasn't challenging Vettel.

#188 kimister

kimister

• 952 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 22:29

Nice tribute for Mark . :up:  Last day in the office.

http://www.infiniti-...last-day-office

#189 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 22:35

****. I already miss the guy. He was awesome. he really was.

Maybe his last season wasn't the best. But 2010 miss on WDC probably hurt me more than Massa in 2008. I was so sad when Mark didn't get the title. Christ, so sad 

#190 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,313 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 23:30

That was a great race weekend to end on, a hard fought race, there was a period there after the final stops when the lead cut down from 7 to 5 and I was thinking "omg is he going to do it!" but it wasn't to be, none the less, a great last race.

I think he carried himself well, it wasn't an over the top goodbye but neither was it understated, the respect from guys like Fernando and Jenson was emotional to see, and even from Seb I think that was good. I imagine a few people (perhaps even Mark himself) will think it was PR, and maybe before the race it was, but that was probably genuine the things he did after the race, his "competition" with Mark was over and Seb is a very different (relaxed, funny, chilled) character away from the competition.

Anyways, this was about Mark. I'm going to miss him in F1, but can't wait for WEC next season, hopefully the car is competitive, and Mark too!

#191 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,570 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:56

Gee the tributes have surprised me, fans, peers and media all seem to say they will miss him. It feels like the last of the breed maybe, with Mark and mayyyyyyybe Jenson (he had it a little easier though) goes the last of the mavericks. 

#192 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,996 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:59

Nice tribute for Mark . :up:  Last day in the office.

http://www.infiniti-...last-day-office

Cool pics, except the one driving without the helmet just reminded of that scene in Driven ... and I didnt need reminding of that

#193 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,570 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:01

That photo will go down as a modern classic, the close up anyway. 

#194 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:36

Love that they're doing it in black and white. Cool stuff :up:

#195 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 825 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:39

Oh how i wish he could have won. I wonder is seb would have obeyed had he been instructed to let him past. Probably not... Only regret is probably 2010 but still a good career nonetheless. :up:

#196 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:43

Mark's a bit of a conundrum, isn't he? He cultivates this aura of being a straight-talking no-BS person, but at the same time you can find him quietly flexing his forearm muscles when he's posing for photos and changing his accent depending on who he is responding to (usually tries to mirror the other speaker's accent). Harmless things in and of themselves, but not as straightforward as he'd like us to believe. 

Fascinating character who brought a lot to F1 over the years. 

#197 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 825 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:50

Mark's a bit of a conundrum, isn't he? He cultivates this aura of being a straight-talking no-BS person, but at the same time you can find him quietly flexing his forearm muscles when he's posing for photos and changing his accent depending on who he is responding to (usually tries to mirror the other speaker's accent). Harmless things in and of themselves, but not as straightforward as he'd like us to believe. 

Fascinating character who brought a lot to F1 over the years. 

:up: IMO he is a bit of a drama queen who likes to victimize himself any chance he gets. Who can forget some of his outbursts in press conferences :lol:  Still a fun guy and a great interview. Refreshing compared to most of the cookie cutter answers we get from most other drivers.

#198 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,313 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:16

I think he changes his accent to make sure he's talking clearly for the audience he'll be broadcast too.

I also don't think he was playing the victim card just for the sake of it, he was doing what he could to pressure RBR to give him equal treatment, and he needed to play the media to do that. He did it quite successfully obviously, but I believe it was a tactic rather than just whinging to have a whinge. It was hypocritical of course but who would've given a damn if it had nabbed him a championship!

It didn't work because he ultimately wasn't good enough, but for 2010 especially it was a good ploy. He could talk to the media about RBR throwing it's weight behind him no problem, but had "protection" from the media to not have the same thing done to him, at least not easily nor publicly. No doubt it led in part to Seb's actions in Malaysia this year, which in turn led to worsen his current "image" problem. All pretty interesting, I do like a bit of drama.  :drunk:

#199 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:12

Webber changes his accent and talks more slowly so people can understand.  When you hear him on Aussie tv his accent is normal - broad and fast - and only us Aussie can understand ;)

and MW not hard - obviously sneaker91 is new to F1

Advertisement

#200 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 442 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:51

Anyone got footage of Webbo removing his helmet and driving around Interlagos?