Photo

Mystery F3 driver

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 13:16

Years ago, whislt curating a motor museum, we had arrangements made for a special visit. It was done on a day when the public weren't about, because the guy in question was being brought out as a treat. This would be about 1989/90ish.

The chap was confined to a wheel chair, with very little movement. I had a long chat with him at some stage, and he told me that it was a "sort of racing accident". He had, apparently been racing F3 (no idea what country, though he was English I think) and in order to raise some money, had agreed to take part in the filming of an advert, in which he was to drive, at speed, in his race car, under a closing (lowering) door. Obviously, it didn't go according to plan.

It only occured to us after he left, we had no clue who he was (the trip had been arranged by researcher Fred Stoddard (Stoddart?)).

Does anyone recall such an incident/driver of about that time? It's something my mind drifts back to from time to time, and I'm thinking about it now!!

Advertisement

#2 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,641 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 14:25

Doesn't immediately ring any bells Steve.  Roughly how old was the driver when you met him in 1989/90?  Which country were you in at the time?

#3 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 16:22

Fred Stuttard had a connection with the museum?

Fred's son ended up in a wheelchair, but I don't think he was a racer.

I've no idea if any of those are connected and we can't ask Fred anymore?

#4 MercRacer

MercRacer

• 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:51

Re your Mystery F3 Driver.

I believe it is Chris Skeaping.  He was a brilliant Chevron B8 Racer, as well as a great F3 Driver.  He was a friend of my late Father, Bill Nicholson & was a thoroughly lovely chap, I knew him right from when I was a child.

He & his Brother, Colin were Film & TV Stunt Performers, along with Valentino (Val) Musetti.  Chris was in a very bad accident when a Stunt went wrong & lost the use of his legs - he had very severe injuries & is lucky to be alive.

#5 MercRacer

MercRacer

• 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:56

Re Chris Skeaping Before he raced the Chevron B8, he raced a Daimler SP250 & was bloody quick in that, too. He was a great loss to Motor Sport, as I think he gone on to greater things. He also had an amazing sense of humour & was always nice to me as I was growing-up.

#6 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:33

Here is an old post about Chris Speaking:

http://forums.autosp...chris-skeaping/

#7 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:00

Is that Fred Stuttard, as in from Eastbourne?  If it is, he used to help out with research on some of tha cars because the museum was just outside Eastbourne, that was his only connection. He did bring his son out with him from time to time, but he wasn't in a wheelchair, but had long term problems from a head injury in a car crash. It was Fred who asked if said driver could visit the musem out of hours.

The descriptions given do seem to tie up with Chris Skeaping. I do recall that despite being in a wheel chair, he had a wicked sense of humour, but having gone off and looked at photo's, it's not him. There was no mention of any other form of racing than F3, mainly because the accident was in his F3 car. The accident would have been mid to late 80s, in the UK.

Edited by f1steveuk, 25 November 2013 - 11:09.

#8 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:20

Not Fred Goddard was it Steve, he ran a few F3 cars ion the late 80s IIRC. Hilton Cowie amongst others. Much after Skeaping's period.

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:42

No Fred (Studdard) had a slight connection with Lotus, but was more an amatuer researcher/historian, who, because he lived near the museum, sort of attached himself to it. How he knew the driver I have no idea, but I would guess it came through the fact his son had suffered a similar injury, and the racing interest.

The F3 driver in question would have confined to his chair permanately after tha accident.

#10 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 16:40

Yes I did mean Fred Stuttard from Eastbourne (my understanding is that he worked at Lotus in the very early days).

The similarities with his own son could well explain the connection, but I have no idea who it could have been.

#11 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:52

That seems to fit about Fred. Nice bloke, but he could try and take things over bless him!!!

The F3 driver I would guess would have been late 20s when he came out to see us. I don't suppose I'll ever find out, bit late now!!

#12 Lee Towers

Lee Towers

• 51 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 22:27

Would the Christopher Skeaping mentioned above be this one? -

http://www.getreadin...er-more-4205250

Mods : I was unsure about posting the above, please remove if it you feel it not appropraite / relevant

#13 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 23:15

Would the Christopher Skeaping mentioned above be this one? -

http://www.getreadin...er-more-4205250

Mods : I was unsure about posting the above, please remove if it you feel it not appropraite / relevant

It looks as if Chris Skeaping was not the driver who had lost the use of his legs who is the subject of the first post..