- - - - -

Inside the Ford GT Program at LeMans

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,746 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 16:17

Here's a great little 11-minute video produced by Ford Racing on the Ford GT program, with a special focus on LeMans. It's especially valuable for the insights from three key people: Mose Nowland, legendary Ford engine designer, Dan Gurney, co-driver of the '67 LeMans winner, and Edsel Ford II, son of Henry Ford II, who drove the entire project with losing-is-not-an-option priority. 

Of personal interest to me is the commentary of Mose Nowland, who just recently retired from Ford with a hand in every performance engine program from the company since the early '60s. Hero status. 

Video: Inside the Ford GT Program | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

sqwd.jpg

Advertisement

#2 mariner

mariner

• 2,340 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:47

Wonderful stuff.

It's interesting that Mose Nowland gave the same benefit to going racing as Sochiro Honda did - it helps to train production staff in " doing the impossible and quickly" etc.

IIRC Honda used to cycle its best engineers trhough racing and onto the shop floor to transfer the racing can - do approach to the commercial business.

#3 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,746 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 16:40

Wonderful stuff.

It's interesting that Mose Nowland gave the same benefit to going racing as Sochiro Honda did - it helps to train production staff in " doing the impossible and quickly" etc.

IIRC Honda used to cycle its best engineers trhough racing and onto the shop floor to transfer the racing can - do approach to the commercial business.

Yes, quite so, Along with marketing -- which I would never imply is not a totally legitimate purpose -- engineer training is a great reason for OEs to do motorsports. 

The only trouble is these are among the tasks most frequently outsourced, especially in recent years. The role for in-house personnel is often restricted to observation and oversight. Ironically, the main reasons for contracting such work include small scale and short timeline.  

Mose is one of my heroes -- and he is for a lot of other people, too.