- - - - -

Bernie names his successor

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:44

BCE says he thinks Christian Horner should be the man to replace him running F1.

http://www.thetimes....icle3928534.ece

Would make sense.

A new challenge for him - and getting him out of Red Bull might destabilise them a bit and help the other teams...

Advertisement

#2 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,538 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:46

I always thought Bernie v3.2 was walking the pitlane as one of his many clones. :p

But isn't Horner very young for this?

#3 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:47

He's similarly aged to when Bernie was starting to emerge in his role

#4 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:49

But at least Bernie was looking out for all the teams when he started moving into his current role... Horner only looks out for Vettel.

#5 ZuTiMa

ZuTiMa

• 431 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:49

Surely there must be someone else better qualified?

Someone with no direct ties / history with a current team?

#6 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:50

I genuinely think Horner would be a very good choice.

Started as a driver, than moved into team management at lower series, moved up again into F1 where he found great success. His team is an almost perfect clockwork.

Maybe he can make F1 work better ...

It's all fine and easy for some to be saying that he isn't ideal but it would be silly to say unless you have a better candidate. So please if anybody says Christian is no good, say who would be better :cool:

Edited by stillOrange, 22 November 2013 - 12:57.

#7 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:50

Christian seems sneaky enough for the role.

#8 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:54

If he was being groomed for the role, it would make sense of their holidays together.

#9 aray

aray

• 5,796 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:57

Christian seems sneaky enough for the role.

yeah!..that's one of the basic criteria to put in Bernie's shoe...after all he has to replace a man who sold F1 multiple times,but still virtually owns it... :smoking:

#10 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:00

Oh christ, you must be joking. I can't stand his face already. At least Bernie has a sense of humour!

#11 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,538 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:16

But at least Bernie was looking out for all the teams when he started moving into his current role... Horner only looks out for Vettel.

And then he turned his back on all of them. He has done great things, but since mid 2000 it is going backwards fast. They made StarWars movies with this plotline. :p

#12 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:16

Does Bernard even get a say?

Not sure whether this utterance should be added to the sprinkler and medal pile of stuff we shouldn't take too seriously but even so I would agree that Horner appears to have some good political nous and clear organisational ability.  His record speaks for itself and he's found success despite not being the only main main at Red Bull so that must take some doing.  He's also been smart enough to sidle up to Bernie rather than fight with him.

There were a lot of arguments about Todt being a bad (or rather, partisan) choice for heading up the FIA but those seem to have been unfounded.  I think the same would happen of Horner if he were to take this role.

#13 Roscoe

Roscoe

• 136 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:22

Like the FIA presidency   ;) .

Anyway, he's allowed his opinion.  People can't really say Horner hasn't done a good job in his current position.

#14 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:25

Better Horner than the likes of Briatore.  But is Ecclestone actually in a position to choose?

#15 ZuTiMa

ZuTiMa

• 431 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:28

Seems Ecclestone's choice of Christian Horner as his successor interests many. Will it be his choice, though? Suspect not. CVC to decide

I would like to see Ross Brawn in that role?

Edited by ZuTiMa, 22 November 2013 - 13:29.

#16 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,166 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:29

Kim Jong-un?

#17 jimbox01

jimbox01

• 141 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:30

Horner is ideal for the job - provided Dieter and Helmut are on hand to tell him what to do.

#18 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:30

I'd take anyone if it would help end Redbull domination ....

#19 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:38

Seems Ecclestone's choice of Christian Horner as his successor interests many. Will it be his choice, though? Suspect not. CVC to decide

I would like to see Ross Brawn in that role?

Didn't you want someone with no direct ties or history with current teams? ;)

Pretty impossible, it will have to be someone with some ties.

Ross is also a good candidate but for me lost some political credibility with his FOTA leadership.

Advertisement

#20 Holdenboy

Holdenboy

• 97 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:43

Didn't you want someone with no direct ties or history with current teams?  ;)

Ross is also a good candidate but for me lost some political credibility with his FOTA leadership.

And you think Horner is the one with credibility? .....interesting

#21 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:49

I think his achievements as the manager or even "F1 politics player" are pretty credible, yes.

FOTA lost a lot of power over the time plus 4 teams split from it.

#22 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:54

I wonder if there's any connection between the amount of Money RB gets from Bernie and the relation Bernie has towards Horner. RB is for some reason a priveleged team although this couldn't be explained by their history.

It's allways critical if a former team principal takes over a function that has a lot influence. I'm saying the same about Todt.

Edited by nosecone, 22 November 2013 - 13:55.

#23 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 13:57

Didn't you want someone with no direct ties or history with current teams?  ;)

On what planet is ross a good candidate? I can see him as a popular one, but he is an engineer at heart, not a commercial type, which is what is needed (well at least in cvc's eyes)

#24 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:03

If Bernie says Horner then it's NOT gonna be him. Come on gang y'all know how the Bernster works.

I like someone like Bob Varsha.
That way we all get credentials.
Jp

#25 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:04

You need the successor to continue looking after Red Bull's interests.   Who else better for this?

#26 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:10

God I hope this is just a typical Bernie utterance.

It will probably be someone we've never heard of from outside the F1 world.

#27 prty

prty

• 8,413 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:13

What a coincidence that Red Bull has won the last four years :well:

#28 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:13

Of course it's gonna be Horner. It's been going on for ages now.

Besides. Horner already has an implant that is linked to Bernies cryogenic chamber.......... I **** you not.

#29 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:15

On what planet is ross a good candidate? I can see him as a popular one, but he is an engineer at heart, not a commercial type, which is what is needed (well at least in cvc's eyes)

I do think he has quite a bit of relevant experience: negotiations with manufacturers and investors, team management, his technical expertise could also prove beneficial in pushing for changes in regulations. He has been very articulate about teams role in F1 and was the voice of FOTA. He is mature and financially independent. All these are good things in my opinion.

#30 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:21

Horner has been on the cards for a long time now, you'll notice he has huge respect within the paddock and also F1 watchers (James Allen/ Ted Kravitz) have spoken about how cool under pressure CH is in comparison to other team bosses

if you watch him, he has an answer for every question, gives good answers without giving anything away and doesn't get rattled - I'd bet he'll make it to running F1 one day...

sorry Jp - agree to disagree :kiss:

Edited by Ellios, 22 November 2013 - 14:23.

#31 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,041 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:22

If you look at Horner's achievements, not just in terms of success on the track but for putting a team together like he has you can see he has demonstrated already much of what is required to take on a role as complex as Bernie's. Getting that kind of finance in place, technical team to spend the money wisely and drivers on board to do the job has been one hell of an achievement and one that not many seem willing to appreciate. Not many people are like Bernie Ecclestone either so put the two together and it makes some sense. Can you really see Bernie trying to get someone like Dennis, Brawn or Todt to take over F1? Bernie started as a used car salesmen, he's literally a wheeler of the highest order. He must see something similar in Horner.

#32 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:33

What a coincidence that Red Bull has won the last four years :well:

Actually they didn't win... it was just televised that way through clever directing and camera angles.

#33 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:37

I heard this Mansoor chap was in pole position for the job.

#34 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:48

Is that what is required of a Bernie replacement though?  Can we write a CV or a list of characteristics (which are not personal, physical or judgemental) which the Bernie 2.0 will need and slot any of these people into the role?

I would argue that Bernie doesn't need to have much technical expertise, nor should his successor, but they do need to know a man who has.

#35 ebc

ebc

• 438 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:53

Horner would be great choice, he is smart enough to get the right people at RedBull and to let them do their stuff without getting involved too much, in that way he is a bit like Flavio.

He understands what it is to be a driver, starting your own team in Arden, running a mid grid team and making them into winners and dealing with all that goes with it.   He is the best qualified on paper but it does not mean it would be the best appointment, perhaps somebody from outside might work.

But of the names mentioned so far Horner would be my choice.

#36 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:00

F1 is not a sport, it is a business and in business it's not uncommon to promote from within. Horner or Mini Bernie as he is already known is the vice president and Bernie has been grooming him with treats and influence for some time.

When Ron Dennis said his team were not in F1 to win championships many were confused, but what he was saying is that the game is rigged and if you are not the chosen ones then you will not win a title. You can win races, but the influence you need to win a title will be denied to you.

Edited by SanDiegoGo, 22 November 2013 - 15:01.

#37 jimbox01

jimbox01

• 141 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:05

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Horner only get the job at Red Bull after Tony Purnell and David Pitchforth were sacked for disagreeing with Dietrich Mateschitz over driver selection? Mateschitz also fell out with Peter Sauber (and withdrew sponsorship) over Kimi's selection, didn't he?

Wasn't it Mateschitz who convinced Newey to join the team?

So Red Bull provides the cash, Adrian Newey is responsible for Red Bull Technology (600 staff, design and build the cars), Marko takes care of driver selection and management (with the final nod from Mateschitz), which leaves Horner to look after the race operations (about 55 staff), and provide the media face for the team.

Sure I must be missing something, there's bound to be more to it than that, but how does this qualify him to run F1?

#38 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:10

Great, I can hardly imagine Christian "C'mon Seb this is silly" Horner having the bottle required, to shaft circuits and governments with the sort of deals Bernie's done in the past.

I think Bernie should go Futurama and continue as a head in a glass jar...

#39 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:13

Not surprised.

When?

Advertisement

#40 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:14

Bernie owned Brabham while starting to build his empire, so having links to a team doesn't seem to matter

#41 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:22

Julia Gillard's available.

Jp

#42 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:22

Is that what is required of a Bernie replacement though? Can we write a CV or a list of characteristics (which are not personal, physical or judgemental) which the Bernie 2.0 will need and slot any of these people into the role?

I would argue that Bernie doesn't need to have much technical expertise, nor should his successor, but they do need to know a man who has.

I'll start with the list:
1. Vision
2. ?

#43 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:29

If I was in Horner's shoes, I'd much prefer my current job than Bernie's so would stay put. 

I think its not the wheeler dealer role it was at the beginning. Now its very much a commercial-legal gig for the over 55's. I think the shareholders will demand someone corporate of relevant background and expertise - and I don't actually think an F1 background is essential as a sporting council can sit beneath. What is important someone who grasps digital technology and consumer behaviour in order to drag the sport into the 21st century and capitalise on the opportunities for the investors. I would expect someone like Sir Martin Sorrell would be a strong candidate. 

#44 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:33

Bernie owned Brabham while starting to build his empire, so having links to a team doesn't seem to matter

Not too many Ferrari anti's still complaining about Todt's appointment at the FIA either.

#45 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:35

I think it should be Flavio.

#46 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:41

I'll start with the list:
1. Vision
2. ?

I can't think of anything beyond short and accused of crimes but they break both of my self-imposed rules.

Agree about Vision and add ability to juggle big egos which Horner must be doing every day.

#47 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:42

Well, it makes all the rule let offs and the £70 million bonus clearer  :rolleyes:

#48 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,166 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 18:51

Julia Gillard's available.

Jp

She'll only get in if she knifes him

#49 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 611 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 19:06

Horner's drivers doesn't listen him, how he would lead the whole circus, I'm so sure about him.

#50 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 19:34

Eliminating guys with team experience takes a lot of candidates away. Who will be qualified and have zero team connections?

Edited by Atreiu, 22 November 2013 - 19:35.