• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:23

each team MUST nominate a 3rd/reserve driver

each team must have its 3rd driver at each race

3rd driver must take part in every 1st practice session - unless it's a new track

regular drivers must alternate giving up their seat for 3rd driver in 1st practice

If a regular driver is unable to take part in qually/race, it MUST be the teams nominated 3rd driver who takes is place.

Teams will not be allowed to swap 3rd drivers with any other driver.

If we had those rules in place, teams would have to use a 3rd driver and we wouldn't have the Lotus situation now

Advertisement

#2 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:43

I don't see what's wrong with 'the lotus situation'. Lotus have made the best decision for lotus who to put in that seat as they see it.

I don't see what's wrong with that.

#3 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:48

Why? I don't see what's especially wrong with the Lotus situation.

Teams should be able to run drivers as they see fit. I don't think the sport needs any more rules mandating that teams MUST run their race weekends in a certain way, there's enough of that sort of thing already.

#4 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 16:34

I don't see what's wrong with the current situation. There just aren't enough drivers around who would make decent reserves.

#5 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:18

I like the current situation... teams should be allowed to run who they consider the best option at any point in the season.  As SpartanChas points out there isn't a decent stock of reserve drivers, if others have gone off to Indy or Sportscars so they can actually race in a championship rather than do the very limited test/3rd driver roles, they should have a chance of any available seat when it arises.  It's more interesting that way for me. 

For example if a driver was injured and couldn't race this weekend at Brazil, I'd rather see a former F1 driver that is race proven like Barrichello, Kobayashi or Heidfeld go out and see what they can do, if they were available, rather than watch most of the 3rd drivers.  

#6 sergeym

sergeym

• 610 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:33

I don't see what's wrong with the current situation. There just aren't enough drivers around who would make decent reserves.

The problem is reserve driver position is essentially meaningless. The best they can hope for is a couple of FP drives, which in turns means that there is not much difference between reserve driver and somebody from outside the team when it comes to driver replacement. The only way to make reserve/test driver position viable is to allow more in season testing.

#7 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,274 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:38

being a reserve driver to a team means they know more about you than if you were outside of the team.

remember there is more than just the practice sessions they get...simulator work, engineering discussions, preparation, work ethics etc.

it's clear that if the team is not bound to race you then they will look at the best option available when situation calls. however I think that's how it's supposed to be.

#8 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 18:15

The problem is reserve driver position is essentially meaningless. The best they can hope for is a couple of FP drives, which in turns means that there is not much difference between reserve driver and somebody from outside the team when it comes to driver replacement. The only way to make reserve/test driver position viable is to allow more in season testing.

Why should a reserve/test driver role have to mean anything?

#9 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,637 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 18:28

Lift testing ban and a third driver gets meaning again.

/thread

#10 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 611 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 18:35

Testing in FP1 is a good idea in some tracks, where main drivers spent almost whole session in garage. Some of the 3rd drivers already has this in contracts.

#11 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 19:09

I got to thinking about this a couple of weeks ago actually. Of all the teams reserve drivers, which would actually get the call, if necessary, without hesitation?

Ferrari have Kobayashi, who would be a good call, and Caterham have Heikki, but I'm not sure if I can see McLaren putting Gary Paffett in the car, or Mercedes using Sam Bird. 

#12 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 19:16

Well, there'll be plenty of pay drivers getting even more running

#13 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 19:24

5 more MUST rules. Yeah, that's what usually makes the sport better.

#14 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 19:49

how is that a problem?

it's the teams job to offer no?

Not every contract is the same, some "reserve" or 3rd drivers will make sure that the contract features a guarantee of some sort, others wont be in the position to demand such a thing.

All depends on your value as a driver.

And no one is forcing anyone to sign contracts they dont like.

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,947 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 20:00

5 more MUST rules. Yeah, that's what usually makes the sport better.

Yes, the rule book wasn't nearly long enough.

#16 michaelmyers

michaelmyers

• 65 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 20:08

I think it's fine just the way it is now. Teams make the call and that's right.

#17 hmm

hmm

• 161 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 20:22

I wonder if those rules would just make it harder for young drivers getting the "3rd driver" position. The teams would rather have more experienced drivers there. Maybe we'd have then bunch of just retired drivers there.

Or the 3rd drivers would mysteriously have problems with their back or something else which would prevent them getting to the car.

#18 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 22:55

MUST  must  must  must  MUST

not be allowed

Rather than introduce yet more rules to bandaid over a problem, how about instead REMOVING some existing rules to LET teams be more free with driver choices and practise sessions.