"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,541 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:04

What the?  I wanted to post an animated gif file to illustrate a mechanical principle in the Tech Forum and i get this annoying nag message.  I even renamed the file using a "jpg" extension and get the same nag.  So the "jpg" image extension is now disallowed? Why? Is there a list somewhere of image extensions that are allowed?

Thanks in advance.

<edit> OK, I see that the img tag no longer works but there's a script in the WYSIWYG that does the same thing. OK. But what a strange and unhelpful error message all the same.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 17:16

Just another case of the owners of the forum not wanting the members to know how to use it, methinks. :down:

#3 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,541 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 19:45

Mostly user error on my part still.  I had assumed the img tag that had been used here previously would automatically still be supported.  

#4 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,805 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 20:09

This is annoying, but you can't just change the file extension and expect it to work.

A lot of sites use dynamic image code so you can't just paste in the image location.

There are a lot of jpgs here. Here's an animated gif.

3.gif

Edited by chdphd, 25 November 2013 - 20:10.

#5 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,541 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 20:27

Yeah, at first I took that nag seriously--that the image filetype I was attempting to hotlink to was not allowed, which is what it said. Assuming it was because I was attempting to post a gif animation, I tried reposting the same file as a jpg, a trick that works far more often than it should. Most browsers will display an animated gif with the filetype edited to "jpg". 

...and now I can post using a URL nested between two img tags again...  :stoned:

#6 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 22:11

Cool image, chdphd :up: :)

Universe as bagel. :cool: