Photo

2014 Guessing Games Idea

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,122 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 22:44

I've had an idea for a new type of guessing game in 2014; Guess how much slower (or faster!) the 2014 cars will be.

In each game type the aim would be who can guess with most accuracy how the 2014 cars compare to the V8 era cars over a)Pole time, b) Race fastest lap and c) race distance. The game will only be valid when the track is unaltered from the V8 era (2006-2013) and the conditions match (if not 2013 then 2012 etc). The game will be who can guess the closest +/- percentage to the nearest 0.1% OR do it by time in seconds or average speed. 

With the cars being heavier they should be slower round the corners that is undeniable physics. The cars will have less downforce as exhaust blowing will be effectively banned due to outlet being out the back. They are carrying less fuel in the race (100kg down from 130kg) but this means they have less energy to burn so in theory will be even slower still over a race distance. The only thing making the cars potentially faster is the larger amount of KERS they can harvest and administer each lap. I think the cars weighing (dry) 60-70kg more will more than offset the fuel reduction and KERS increase over a lap and in terms of pure pace and increased tyre degredation but the increased efficiency may make the 2014 cars closer over a race distance than over a single lap. Or will they?

I'd guess by seasons end the game would have levelled out somewhat but the 2014 cars will probably be closer to the V8s at some tracks more than others and keep the game interesting.

Who's in? I'll look into finalising rules closer to the season opener, maybe start the first round before winter testing starts so no one can get their geek on too much studying test times  ;)

Advertisement

#2 Costaz

Costaz

• 3,226 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 13:52

I'm in. I suppose part of it is covered already by the Guess the Pole game, but the inclusion of the other elements will make it different, and interesting in its own way.

I'm not sure how you are going to implement the 'only when the conditions match' rule. Eg. If the qualifying of Brazil next year is dry, then it won't be valid, and we'll go back to 2012 to compare? What if a race starts with a damp surface next year, but no more rain during the race, will it be valid or not (afaik we didn't have any wet races this year)? But you are the host, you can make the rules you think are the best, I'm happy to go along. :p

#3 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,122 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 18:40

OK going to set this up between now and the deadline for guesses which will be the start of the first practice session at Melbourne.

To keep it simple here's the proposed rules of Guess the Effect Of Rule Changes On Performance 2014 (or GERCOP 2014)

You get three guesses:

1 - Fastest qualifying lap time relative to last year (not necessarily pole time, fastest time from any Q session).
2 - Fastest race lap relative to last year.
3 - Total race time relative to last year.

So guesses would look like this:

FQL: +1.283s
FRL: -0.149s
TRT: -10.105s

There are many variables from last year to consider; not least the rule changes. For simplicity reasons I've scrapped the same conditions rule, another thing for the eagle eyed to garner an advantage in. Ill start the each thread with times from last year to help guess making but any other info will be down to your own sleuthing and stat-attacking.

For new tracks guesses will be be made as whole times for fun and won't count towards the GERCOP championship as not to crossover too much with other competitions.

For tracks like Austria that haven't been used for years the last race held there will be the basis for the guesses.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 02 March 2014 - 18:47.

#4 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 18:05

Could you explain how points will be counted? I can't find it anywhere.