Photo

GP drivers competing in F2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 19:00

When did F1 drivers stop taking part in F2? Was there a regulation change or did they just gradually move away from it?

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 19:09

When the big money moved in.

#3 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 20:02

I assume you mean drivers who competed in both formulae concurrently (whether routinely or for occasional races) - that is, in the same season?

There were drivers who drove in F2 long after their GP debuts, or in years between non-consecutive GP seasons, switched categories mid-year, or secured a GP drive or two after the F2 season had ended - but I don't imagine that's what you had in mind.

There were races in which FIA 'graded drivers' finished in what would otherwise have been points-winning places as late as 1978. I think there were at least eight drivers who had full or partial GP seasons in '78 who also drove F2 at some point in the same year.

Didn't Derek Daly attempt to do both from the beginning of '79?

I'd guess that by the early 80s it was virtually unheard of, and I imagine it became practically or contractually unviable (or impossible) or, as suggested above, financially unnecessary, not too long after that.

(On a loosely related theme, Teo Fabi attempted to do concurrent F1 and Indycar seasons, which must have been exhausting and confusing for him, if not totally impractical.)