Photo
- - - - -

F1 Rookie of the Year

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Rookies! (126 member(s) have cast votes)

Who was the best Rookie according to you?

1. Esteban Gutierrez (4 votes [3.17%])

Percentage of vote: 3.17%

2. Valtteri Bottas (78 votes [61.90%])

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

3. Giedo van der Garde (3 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

4. Jules Bianchi (39 votes [30.95%])

Percentage of vote: 30.95%

5. Max Chilton (2 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

Which drivers deserve a place on the grid next year?

1. Esteban Gutierrez (31 votes [9.69%])

Percentage of vote: 9.69%

2. Valtteri Bottas (118 votes [36.88%])

Percentage of vote: 36.88%

3. Giedo van der Garde (48 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

4. Jules Bianchi (111 votes [34.69%])

Percentage of vote: 34.69%

5. Max Chilton (12 votes [3.75%])

Percentage of vote: 3.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Overtax

Overtax

• 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 19:35

The season is over and between all the Sebastian/Fernando/Kimi/Lewis is the best bashing, it is time to determine if a new future champion knocked on the door this year.

What I want to know is, who do you think was the best Rookie of this season? And which drivers passed their Rookie-exam and are allowed to come back next year?

This is my list:

1. Jules Bianchi - Showed great pace immidiatly

2. Valtteri Bottas - Great last two races, stood up against his more experienced teammate.

3. Giedo van der Garde - Strong second half of the season, maybe the most suprising Rookie this year.

4. Esteban Gutierrez - Was expecting more, was way overclassed by his teammate, should have done slightly better especially in the second half of the season.

5. Max Chilton - Been destroyed by his Rookie teammate, does not qualify for the title Rookie of the year IMO.

Jules, Valtteri and Giedo deserve another opportunity next year IMO, in other words I think Esteban and Max failed their Rookie-exam.

What are your thoughts on this years Rookies?

Advertisement

#2 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 19:44

Bottas stood out couple of times (canada and cota). Others not so much.

#3 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 19:49

- Bottas was outstanding in a couple of occasions, Montreal and COTA. 

- Esteban was great in Japan, good qualies in Korea and COTA -despite the 10 places penalty-, but should have done better relative to teammate... even if it's fantastic Nico Hulkenberg, the battle was too lopsided.

- Bianchi started out great but the way Chilton closed the gap didn't reflect that good about his development.

- VDG and Chilton both improved at a decent rate.

Besed on above I would say Bottas was clearly the rookie of the year and anyone thinking differently should have his head checked by a qualified professional.

Edited by Collective, 25 November 2013 - 19:50.

#4 enilykss

enilykss

• 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 19:50

Probably Bianchi, he was straight on the pace. Bottas is an honourable mention as well.

#5 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 19:52

The most interesting thing Bianchi did all year was get out of his car and let it drive itself.

For the season as a whole, Bianchi > van der Garde > Bottas > Gutierrez > Chilton.

I'd be fine if they all got another year, but wouldn't be sad if none of them did. Bottas probably has the biggest upside long-term.

#6 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 20:15

- Bottas was outstanding in a couple of occasions, Montreal and COTA. 

- Esteban was great in Japan, good qualies in Korea and COTA -despite the 10 places penalty-, but should have done better relative to teammate... even if it's fantastic Nico Hulkenberg, the battle was too lopsided.

- Bianchi started out great but the way Chilton closed the gap didn't reflect that good about his development.

- VDG and Chilton both improved at a decent rate.

Besed on above I would say Bottas was clearly the rookie of the year and anyone thinking differently should have his head checked by a qualified professional.

Not sure Chilton ever closed the gap. Bianchi had a couple of poor weekends later in the season but he still ended the season easily beating him. 

#7 GT Racing Online Magazine

GT Racing Online Magazine

• 832 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 20:23

Bottas and Bianchi stood out and that's quite hard with the current tier of teams, they both seem to have potential to do well if put in better machinery - both have some question marks though, Bottas reminds me of Kovalainen with his calm demeanor and Bianchi should have been scrubbing the floor with Chilton more than he did towards the end of the year  -  Overall not a bad class of rookies, but it's just very hard to shine nowadays - the rest seem to have potential of competent journeymen, no one screams "SHould not be in F1 under any circumstance!"

#8 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,338 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 20:31

I think they all warrant another season in all honesty, but Bottas is the only one I can really envisage fighting for the championship.

#9 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:09

1. Bottas - beat the highly rated (after 2012) Maldonado in my mind. Car was a ****, unfortunately.

2. Bianchi - fast from the gate, kind of drifted in the 2nd half.

3. VDG - had some epic displays and some below average races. A surprise and seemingly better than Pic.

4. Chilton - clean and not totally thumped by Bianchi.

5. Gutierrez - disappointment, only got close to Hulk once or twice. Too messy. No need to return in 2014.

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:14

How much of Bianchi's value is beating Chilton though. 

#11 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:24

That is a concern, Jules needs to beat a rated teammate.

#12 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 2,014 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:44

There's not else to judge him on in that car. Sure, doesn't mark him down as the next world champion by default, but it's about all he could possibly do imo.

#13 REDalert

REDalert

• 671 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 20:40

Bottas and Bianchi stood out and that's quite hard with the current tier of teams, they both seem to have potential to do well if put in better machinery - both have some question marks though, Bottas reminds me of Kovalainen with his calm demeanor and Bianchi should have been scrubbing the floor with Chilton more than he did towards the end of the year  -  Overall not a bad class of rookies, but it's just very hard to shine nowadays - the rest seem to have potential of competent journeymen, no one screams "SHould not be in F1 under any circumstance!"

I agree mostly, but I think Bottas is not like Kovalainen, Kovalainen is too soft, but Bottas seems to be very confident without any arrogance. Calm, but very confindent and focused, but not soft at all..

Bottas and Bianchi are the drivers I`d like to see in competetive teams in future and Bottas would be my driver of the year.