* * * * * 5 votes

2014 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSS, AMA, BSB

• Please log in to reply
3182 replies to this topic

#51 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 21:12

Ducati looks set to drop its factory status at the end of next season. 

Crutchlow will be happy. 

Edited by GSiebert, 08 January 2014 - 21:13.

Advertisement

#52 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,292 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 21:24

That would be a bit strange, they just got Gigi from Aprilia to get things on the road again and now they are pulling out as a factory squad? 

#53 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 21:26

They would not be pulling out, only racing as an "Open" entry. 

#54 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 22:51

Pretty obvious choice when you think about it. I will quote the last post from the motomatters forum.

"It allows them to address the issues they have. Their biggest issues are hardware and development. The engine freeze and testing restrictions mean it's almost impossible to catch up as a factory entry. The extra fuel and spec software take a couple of variables out of the equation. Once Ducati are much closer with the base bike, they can think about working on software again. Right now, software is at the bottom of their list of priorities."

That is pretty much it. Plus, I would add, yeah they can't use custom software (and get the data from using it obviously) but that doesn't mean they can't still continue developing one, even without the all the race data.

#55 chunder27

chunder27

• 988 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 22:57

Sounds like giving up to me a bit.

I know they are small compared to the Japanese firms, but remember Yamaha went from being awful to being good simply by allowing JB and VR input into the design of the bike.  Rossi rode the 03 bike and immediately wanted more low down grunt, so they came up with 4 designs!

In so many years can Ducati STILL not realise what the problem is, they have had feedback from countless riders. Surely Vale, Dovi, Hayden have been as forthright in their pleas!

The bike is a pup, needs a total start from scratch approach which is seems is what this might be I guess.

OR, it might be Dornas' way of putting pressure on the Japanese to go CRT which is after all what Ezpeleta really wants, (why you get pole and CRT winner in parc ferme ffs). They might have done a deal with Ducati to go this way and force the Japanese hand.

#56 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 23:10

In so many years can Ducati STILL not realise what the problem is, they have had feedback from countless riders. Surely Vale, Dovi, Hayden have been as forthright in their pleas!

I remember reading in Valentino's book (which is pushing a decade now) that he chose Yamaha after leaving Honda because he was allowed to provide input in development. He went to the Ducati factory and said it was like what he had at Honda. That the bike was built by the team and the rider was supposed to ride what they were given by the factory. 

Maybe the Duc team is still run that way. Because while Dovi and Hayden are not Rossi, we say Rossi did not regress as much as the Ducati made it look like. Same with Melandri and Gibernau. I don't think they were the issue. Stoner was just that good (I miss that guy for some reason after last season). 

#57 chunder27

chunder27

• 988 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:03

A lot of people will never admit it but they miss Casey too

Marquez is ragged but I just dont get the same liking, he is far too ruthless for me.

I did read that the Ducati hardly changed its feeling no matter what they did with it for Rossi, frames etc nothing changed the feeling it had, which suggests a totallly inherent chassis design fault or maybe even something wrong with the jogs, metal used.

Which knowing Italians wouldnt surprise me!!

#58 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,394 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:05

Crutchlow will be happy. 

Not end of next season, they may do it for this year.

Ducati Considering Racing MotoGP As Open Entries For 2014?

After a year of evolution in MotoGP which brought them few rewards, Ducati looks set for a radical shake up for next season. Respected Italian website GPOne.com is reporting that Ducati is considering racing in MotoGP as an Open entry, instead of under the Factory option. In practice, Ducati would be free of the engine freeze in place for Factory Option teams in 2014, have 24 liters of fuel instead of 20, and twelve engines per season instead of just five. In addition, they have more freedom to test with factory riders Andrea Dovizioso and Cal Crutchlow. In exchange, they will have to forego the freedom to develop their own software, and will run the spec Dorna-supplied software instead.

#59 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:08

I wonder whether it's not just Gigi Dall'Igna knowing a little more about the potential of the Open class than the Japanese factories. He beat the Ducatis with one last year remember.

If an engine-munching, fuel-inefficient, soft-Bridgestoned Ducati is "too" competitive in 2014, expect the mother of all political rows as the MSMA try to rein in the Open bikes.

Edited by Risil, 09 January 2014 - 14:09.

Advertisement

#60 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,394 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:11

I wonder whether it's not just Gigi Dall'Igna knowing a little more about the potential of the Open class than the Japanese factories. He beat the Ducatis with one last year remember.

If an engine-munching, fuel-inefficient, soft-Bridgestoned Ducati is "too" competitive in 2014, expect the mother of all political rows as the MSMA try to rein in the Open bikes.

That's the first thing I thought

#61 sopa

sopa

• 3,226 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:57

Crutchlow will be happy. 

Interesting. Right after Audi had bought Ducati and there was lots of optimism Ducati is finally going to get proper leadership. Perhaps Audi has realized they need to undergo the problems in an entirely different way to become competitive again - and forget about MotoGP in its current way?

Possibly they are looking at it very long-term. Due to dwindling grids it is possible the so-called current "Open" class could be the main class one day after the current MotoGP prototype era has ended due to its expenses. And then Ducati would be in a strong(er) position to be competitive.

#62 chunder27

chunder27

• 988 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 15:46

I think people read to much into Audi owning them

I honestly dont believe they have that much interest, certainly not to start splashing cash around deveoping new bikes, building new factories.

Take a look around the bike scene, race replicas are yesterdays news, Audi want a piece of the BMW off road market which is selling far more bikes at the moment than racing does, and you don't have to do much racing to PR them. PLus they have probably seen BMW build the R1000 and sell a ton of them, simply buying Ducati isnt gonna help that much!

If Audi bought Ducati on that basis then they bought a pup!  If, however they did as I suspect, buy it to stop someone else buying it, then that is why you are not seeing much in the way of innovation or investment.

All you are seeing at the bike show was a ridiculous bike costing 70 grand that was no better than a standard Panigale, it looked like one of those tricked out AK47's or Uzi's a rich boys toy, what it certainly wasnt was a Desmosidici which is still Ducatis best race bike for the road.

If that is the best Audi can do, God help them and Cal!

Edited by chunder27, 09 January 2014 - 15:48.

#63 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 150 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 15:42

The Marlboro contract ends this year and they know that if the results stay the same MB won't renew. After that a small factory like Ducati won't have enough money to continue as a factory. The open option would be cheaper.

#64 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,394 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:35

Tardozzi is back at Ducati. This time with the MotoGP team doing "organisation and logistics" for the team

#65 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,394 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 14:47

New WSBK EVO Team

Alstare Bimota with Christian Iddon and Ayrton Badovini

#66 ChiliFan

ChiliFan

• 151 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 14:57

That makes 9 manufacturers and a potential 27 riders.

#67 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,927 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 15:14

Huh, didn't see that coming. Badovini will be capable of decent results if the bike is any good. If...

#68 Rob

Rob

• 8,216 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 16:09

I didn't think Bimota made enough production bikes to get it homologated for racing.

#69 chunder27

chunder27

• 988 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 16:37

Im sure Batta would manage to convince those that need to be convinced that more bikes is better

Fogarty managed it with the FP1 and they hardly made any of those, certinaly none were really ready when the race bike debuted

And Bimota have form, the SB7 Gobert ride was not really homologated, though I think back then it was not as necessary to build as many bikes.

It was a dog though, forget Goberts win at PI, that was down to tyres and brave riding, that thing was a deathtrap

Great for Iddon though, Badovini should be no trouble his head goes down if he gets out of bed the wrong sside, like Modena, Fisichella etc.

#70 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,394 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 16:39

I didn't think Bimota made enough production bikes to get it homologated for racing.

http://www.crash.net...oin-forces.html

It's more than just running a WSBK team with their bikes, Alstare are also involved in improving their moto2 bikes. It's a full r&d agreement.

Indeed, the manufacturer has been linked to a potential return to World Superbikes in recent months with the new BMW-powered BB3, but reportedly faces a challenge in building the 2000 units required to secure homologation.

#71 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 19:10

Great news!

so updated WSBK 2014 (based of the currently aviable confirmed informations and rumors)

Provec Kawasaki
Sykes
Baz

Aprilia
Guintoli 
Melandri

Feel Racing Ducati
Davies
Giugliano

Crescent Suzuki
Laverty
Alex Lowes

Ten Kate Honda
Rea
Haslam

Team Hero EBR Buell
May
Yates

Yakhnich MV Agusta
Corti

---

Team Toth BMW (confirmed by the rider - team owner's son)
Tóth Jr.
TBA (Evo)

Alstare Bimota (Evo)
Badovini
Iddon

Grillini Kawasaki (Evo)
Fabrizio
Morais

Mahi Kawasaki (Evo)
Foret

MRS Kawasaki (Evo)
Guarnoni

Althea Ducati (Evo)
Canepa

Pedercini Kawasaki (Evo?)
TBA (Aitchison?)
TBA (Andreozzi?)

nor fully confirmed, highly predicted

BMW Motorrad Italia (Evo)
Sylvain Barrier 
(Reiterberger)?

Provec Kawasaki (Evo) - maybe with a different team naming
Salom

Unknown Aprilia Team
Elias

Ten Kate Honda (Evo) - maybe with a different team naming
TBA - surely an italian rider

rumored/perhaps

Mesaroli Ducati or Aprilia (maybe only wild card)
Lanzi

Jordan Suzuki
TBA
TBA

Team Lorini Honda (Evo)
TBA

So that is 22 bikes till now, 13 "normal" bikes (all factory) and 9 Evos (7 riders confirmed) + a high chance to  4 more Evo bikes and maybe some other Evos (Lanzi's rumored bike might be a normal bike).

Edited by Tarzaan, 14 January 2014 - 19:32.

#72 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 21:20

Still no BMW on the grid. 

#73 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 21:39

Still no BMW on the grid. 

BMW Motorrad Italia with Sylvain Barrier 99% sure. Team Toth BMW 80% + the Bimota has BMW engine;)

+ I read that YART (Yamaha Austria Racing Team) want to race in some rounds with a wild-card entry.

Edited by Tarzaan, 13 January 2014 - 21:41.

#74 ChiliFan

ChiliFan

• 151 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:40

Provec Kawasaki is only one bike, for David Salom. Pedercini have Alessandro Andreozzi and Mark Aitchison on Kawasakis, and possibly Toni Elias on an Aprilia if they can come to an agreement.

Wildcard entries are expected throughout the year from: Yamaha Austria (Josh Waters?), Next Gen Motorsports (Glenn Allerton), Mesaroli A.S. (Lorenzo Lanzi) and Ducati-3C Carbon (Max Neukirchner). Matt Davies has also applied for a wildcard entry at Phillip Island.

Edited by ChiliFan, 14 January 2014 - 05:42.

#75 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,394 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 15:15

In MotoGP, Leon Camier will ride an ART Aprilia for the Ioda team

#76 Rob

Rob

• 8,216 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 16:44

Ian Hutchinson has been thrown a lifeline and will race for FFX Yamaha in BSB.

#77 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 19:28

Interview with Tóth Imre Jr:

http://www.p1race.hu...apatba_20140114

It's in hungarian. The most important:

- They will run a 2 bike team. A normal bike for Imre and an Evo for a second rider

- If Sebestyén Péter get the money till the end of this week, he get the Evo ride. If he didn't, an italian or a south african (Quarmby???) rider could get the second bike.

- They will race BMW bikes. They still get the engines (factory engines, one of them has factory electronics) and they will use Öhlins suspension and brembo breaks. He said it will be the same spec that Melandri and Davies use last year, but they got only the engine, not the bike, they have to build own ones

- They choose to move up to WSB because a top WSS bike would cost the same.

Provec Kawasaki is only one bike, for David Salom. Pedercini have Alessandro Andreozzi and Mark Aitchison on Kawasakis, and possibly Toni Elias on an Aprilia if they can come to an agreement.

Wildcard entries are expected throughout the year from: Yamaha Austria (Josh Waters?), Next Gen Motorsports (Glenn Allerton), Mesaroli A.S. (Lorenzo Lanzi) and Ducati-3C Carbon (Max Neukirchner). Matt Davies has also applied for a wildcard entry at Phillip Island.

Thx, I edit my text.

Some questions:

Elias: in wich team? 3rd factory bike? Or an Evo?

Pedercini: I thought one of their riders will be Scassa.

I read in about a week ago that Lanzi's team still working for a full season entry.

Edited by Tarzaan, 14 January 2014 - 20:45.

#78 ChiliFan

ChiliFan

• 151 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:43

Some questions:

Elias: in wich team? 3rd factory bike? Or an Evo?

Pedercini: I thought one of their riders will be Scassa.

I read in about a week ago that Lanzi's team still working for a full season entry.

Elias would be on a 3rd Pedercini bike, a full spec Aprilia.

Andreozzi is already confirmed at Pedercini, the second ride is between Aitchison and Scassa.

According to Speedweek.com, Lanzi's team didn't manage to find the budget to do the whole year.

#79 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:51

Elias would be on a 3rd Pedercini bike, a full spec Aprilia.

Andreozzi is already confirmed at Pedercini, the second ride is between Aitchison and Scassa.

According to Speedweek.com, Lanzi's team didn't manage to find the budget to do the whole year.

Thank you.

Pedercini APRILIA????

about BMW Team Toth

http://www.speedweek...estfahrten.html

(in german - use google translate)

Advertisement

#80 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:00

I'd like to see Aitchison back in WSBK, but not on a Pedercini :(

Scassa is a decent rider but past his prime i'm afraid.

#81 ChiliFan

ChiliFan

• 151 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:18

Pedercini APRILIA????

Yes, apparently Elias has some wealthy sponsors and the plan is to run an Aprilia with Pedercini. If that doesn't pan out, he'll be looking at EVO rides.

#82 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:03

Yes, apparently Elias has some wealthy sponsors and the plan is to run an Aprilia with Pedercini. If that doesn't pan out, he'll be looking at EVO rides.

And what will ride the other Pedercini riders?

Aprilia, Aprilia Evo or Kawa Evo?

#83 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,712 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:29

Julian Ryder @MotoGPJules

In MotoGP, Leon Camier will ride an ART Aprilia for the Ioda team

Five Brits in the top class of MotoGP (Crutchlow, Smith, Laverty, Redding, and Camier.). First time since the 80's?

#84 ChiliFan

ChiliFan

• 151 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:34

And what will ride the other Pedercini riders?

Aprilia, Aprilia Evo or Kawa Evo?

Last I heard they were going to be on full-spec Kawasakis - with the introduction of EVO, their previously slow Kawasakis could achieve mid-field placings ahead of the EVO bikes.

Five Brits in the top class of MotoGP (Crutchlow, Smith, Laverty, Redding, and Camier.). First time since the 80's?

First time since 1995 I would suggest - Haydon, McWilliams, Emmett, Hodgson & McManus

Edited by ChiliFan, 15 January 2014 - 11:38.

#85 Rob

Rob

• 8,216 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:58

Another Kawasaki for BSB - Keith Farmer will race for PR Racing.

#86 Rob

Rob

• 8,216 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 00:03

BSB 2014

Confirmed so far :

Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki

Shane Byrne

Stuart Easton

Tyco Suzuki

John Hopkins

Josh Waters

Milwaukee Yamaha

Josh Brookes

Tommy Bridewell

GBmoto Kawasaki

James Ellison

Chris Walker

Quattro Plant Kawasaki

Howie Mainwaring

Dan Linfoot

Buildbase BMW
Ryuichi Kiyonari

James Westmoreland

FFX Yamaha

Ian Hutchinson

Millsport Ducati

Jakub Smrz

Gearlink Kawasaki

Ben Wilson

Tsingtao WK Kawasaki

Jon Kirkham

RidersMotorcycles BMW

Martin Jessopp

TAG Racing Kawasaki

Richard Cooper

PR Racing Kawasaki

Keith Farmer

Morello Services PBR Kawasaki

Peter Baker

SBK City Racing Kawasaki

Rhalf Lo Turco

Edited by Rob, 16 January 2014 - 00:04.

#87 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:06

I believe we're going to see lots of Kawasakis in WSBK in 2015 too.

#88 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:04

Bimota Alstare will miss the first race at PI (not ready in time) and asked for an homologation derogation. They hope to achieve the required number by the end of 2015.

Edited by GSiebert, 16 January 2014 - 10:04.

#89 Rob

Rob

• 8,216 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:20

Julien da Costa will do four wildcards in BSB this year with Honda Racing.

Edited by Rob, 16 January 2014 - 10:46.

#90 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:26

Julien :p

#91 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,394 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:32

2015 Silly Season starts early 

http://www.motogp.co...GP in the Media

As reported by the radio station, the Mallorcan rider - who had ridden for Yamaha Factory Racing since his debut premier class season in 2008 - has already given Ducati a ‘yes’ with regards to a preliminary agreement for 2015 onwards, with an alleged offer of 15 million euros per season.

#92 Rob

Rob

• 8,216 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:35

Julien :p

I'm going to blame autocorrect here as I'm typing on a phone.

More news - Spanish radio station Onda Cero has said that Jorge Lorenzo has given a verbal yes to Ducati for a 2015 contract. The contract is allegedly worth €15 million per season.

Edited by Rob, 16 January 2014 - 10:44.

#93 Rob

Rob

• 8,216 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:36

Drat, beaten to it :)

#94 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:38

The contract is allegedly worth €15 million per session.

I guess only that kind of deal could attract Lorenzo to Ducati. :D

Autocorrect again ? :p

Edited by GSiebert, 16 January 2014 - 10:38.

#95 Rob

Rob

• 8,216 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:46

I guess only that kind of deal could attract Lorenzo to Ducati. :D
Autocorrect again ? :p

Damn it!

#96 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,394 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:43

New factory Ducati World Superbike signing Chaz Davies will also take part in three MotoGP tests a year for the Italian factory. 

http://www.crash.net...m_reader=feedly

#97 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:59

Julien da Costa will do four wildcards in BSB this year with Honda Racing.

Da Costa is Honda's main man for endurance racing, yes? Fits in with their strategy of concentrating on the Endurance World Championship this year if so. Seem to remember him being pretty competitive on the Brit circuits in 2009.

#98 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:02

More news - Spanish radio station Onda Cero has said that Jorge Lorenzo has given a verbal yes to Ducati for a 2015 contract. The contract is allegedly worth €15 million per season.

In danger of turning into a twenty-first century Cagiva, aren't they?

Marlboro: "Sorry, we're only going to sign up for 2015 if your results improve by the end of the year."

Ducati: "What if we just hire the world's best rider instead?"

Marlboro: "Deal!"

#99 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:27

BeLbviBCUAAMtxA.jpg

The new M1.

Advertisement

#100 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts