* * * * * 4 votes

2014 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSS, AMA, BSB

• Please log in to reply
2337 replies to this topic

#2301 chunder27

chunder27

• 800 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:47

Any fan with any sense knew this was not going to work.

But you cannot blame BT, all they did was bid 10 million for 3 years, thats a snip for a world series that gets huge public attending and therefore must attract viewers. I like their coverage, it is overly Brit biased as most are, but the team are OK and the commentary good. and we know they did it coz they have two channels to fill and this fills a Sunday quite nicely, plus to get it you have to have their phone line, broadband and internet packages and tv deal, thanks very much. Simple economics.

The fact they are lengthening the deal for free BT Sport tells me it's been a success but not made enough money, you will soon start paying for it, and what happens then!  Figures drop even more.

Dorna do not give the slightest toss, all they care about is what people will pay and BT paid more, they couldn't care less about anything else, they spend more time creating content for their overpriced, Spanish biased, motogp channel than anything else.  And patrolling youtube and facebook stopping illegal streams than they do looking at public opinion.

I have said all along there is only one sport that can sustain PPV and that is football. Maybe cricket in some countries, obviously US sports in the US. And one offs like WWE, World Cup and Olympics, but thankfully the latter two are deemed important enough to be sanctioned.

There is not enough passion and interest in bikes or cars in the UK or most countries to warrant PPV, and this will all cycle down in time. Surely any berk realised that if F1 was not working bike racing wouldn't, it's hilarious bad decision making really.

Desperate?  Maybe.

Advertisement

#2302 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,857 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:58

I don't think it's desperate. It's all about the money, one day they'll realize they aren't making any money like this anymore, and will change something, maybe even go back to free TV who knows. The question is how much will the sports be damaged before they change something.

Edited by GSiebert, 23 July 2014 - 12:04.

#2303 chumma

chumma

• 942 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:34

Don't do it Maverickkkkk, get on the LCR!

#2304 chunder27

chunder27

• 800 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:03

The damage to the sport is being done now.

There isn't anything anyone can do about it

But once Valentino quits and Marquez has won 3 or 4 straight, very few will want to watch it.

#2305 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,369 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 18:13

It's the same everywhere, not only in UK, and not only for MotoGP, it's the same for F1.

This is not going to work on the long term I think. Of course the Dorna or FOM are happy to get the big money from BT sport today. But if the viewing figures keep declining year after year (this tending to prove that Pay TV don't bring new fans to a sport, only hardcore fans switch to pay tvs) this means lesser exposition for the sponsors, meaning less money in the sport and so on ... The money from BT sports isn't going to make up for that. Dorna or FOM are probably going to try to sell the TV rights to BT a bit higher every time, but at some point BT (or any pay TV) is going to decide it's not worth it.

Spain must be the last country in Europe that still has MotoGP on free tv, no wonder there are so many spanish sponsors and riders there.

I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head here I think, short term money from cable/internet media  for making the sponsors not want to bother.

Andy

#2306 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 2,954 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 18:33

Spain must be the last country in Europe that still has MotoGP on free tv, no wonder there are so many spanish sponsors and riders there.

Not completely correct. Until this year yes, all races live along with practice and qually. This year 9 races live, only the races and the rest just a highlights package which invariably goes out around midnight. Telefonica have the exclusive rights which is PPV and hugely expensive.

Edited by milestone 11, 23 July 2014 - 18:37.

#2307 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 18:47

De Puniet on Suzuki MotoGP™ progress and the challenge of Suzuka

Whether you ride with Suzuki in MotoGP next season or not, what other options would you have?

“A contract with Suzuki is ready for me, as a test rider or somewhere else. I can choose to accept it or not. This is why we would like to be informed of their plans for the future as soon as possible, because I really want to go back to competition, but not in poor conditions. For now, my main objective is going back to MotoGP. If there is an option in Superbikes, why not, but I really aim at being on the MotoGP starting grid in 2015.”

If Aprilia are bringing Eugene Laverty to MotoGP then I bet Suzuki have offered de Puniet his ride at the Crescent Suzuki squad in WSB. I think he'd be mad not to take it - I don't see anything better coming along in MotoGP.

Edit: I understand that the Vinales and Aleix Espargaro to Suzuki announcement is "imminent". So by the end of the week I'd imagine.

Edited by Rob, 23 July 2014 - 18:50.

#2308 MuZzer

MuZzer

• 63 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 21:23

Any fan with any sense knew this was not going to work.

But you cannot blame BT, all they did was bid 10 million for 3 years, thats a snip for a world series that gets huge public attending and therefore must attract viewers. I like their coverage, it is overly Brit biased as most are, but the team are OK and the commentary good. and we know they did it coz they have two channels to fill and this fills a Sunday quite nicely, plus to get it you have to have their phone line, broadband and internet packages and tv deal, thanks very much. Simple economics.

The fact they are lengthening the deal for free BT Sport tells me it's been a success but not made enough money, you will soon start paying for it, and what happens then!  Figures drop even more.

Dorna do not give the slightest toss, all they care about is what people will pay and BT paid more, they couldn't care less about anything else, they spend more time creating content for their overpriced, Spanish biased, motogp channel than anything else.  And patrolling youtube and facebook stopping illegal streams than they do looking at public opinion.

I have said all along there is only one sport that can sustain PPV and that is football. Maybe cricket in some countries, obviously US sports in the US. And one offs like WWE, World Cup and Olympics, but thankfully the latter two are deemed important enough to be sanctioned.

There is not enough passion and interest in bikes or cars in the UK or most countries to warrant PPV, and this will all cycle down in time. Surely any berk realised that if F1 was not working bike racing wouldn't, it's hilarious bad decision making really.

Desperate?  Maybe.

I was disappointed when BT became the sole channel for MotoGP, but then Virgin Media did a deal and provided it free with the XL package. Great. TBF their coverage is good, more comprehensive than British Eurosport, so it's hard to knock them for that.

But I wouldn't pay to watch it now, I'd just stick with the highlights on ITV4. There's enough bike racing on Eurosport and Motors TV to keep me happy on a personal level, and the former's speedway coverage has been excellent this year.

#2309 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:08

Apparently Jack Miller is taking to Pons, so if the LCR deal falls through then that is a possible destination. They're going to need a new rider with Maverick off to Suzuki.

#2310 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,857 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:30

De Puniet on Suzuki MotoGP™ progress and the challenge of Suzuka

If Aprilia are bringing Eugene Laverty to MotoGP then I bet Suzuki have offered de Puniet his ride at the Crescent Suzuki squad in WSB. I think he'd be mad not to take it - I don't see anything better coming along in MotoGP.

There are rumours about Melandri and Bautista being Aprilia's riders in 2015. I'm not sure Laverty would want to go back to Aprilia after what they did to him. And I don't think he's on anyone's short list anyway, given his mediocre season so far.

Edited by GSiebert, 24 July 2014 - 11:30.

#2311 chunder27

chunder27

• 800 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:29

I actually think a rider could move up to GP from Moto3 if he rides a bike like Reddings or Espigs.

Not so much pressure, a slightly easier bike to learn and ride as a result, although no GP bike is by design easy to ride.

but the danger is people forget about you.

it is what Crutchlow should have done instead of wasting two yeasr on the Italian dog

#2312 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:56

Apparently Laverty remained on good terms with Aprilia. Maybe they think he'll do a better job developing the new bike? Maybe Melandri himself isn't interested.

I wouldn't like to guess who gets this ride. Laverty was the top tip initially, but some people think Melandri now. Could go either way. Or they might surprise us with someone completely different. If it was me I'd put a young rider on it.

#2313 chunder27

chunder27

• 800 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 15:24

I woudl doubt Melandri would have any interest in coming back to GP. But I suppose his recent form has been better, so maybe. I would take him all day over Laverty who is totally unproven in GP racing, at least Marco has some history on tracks etc.

And to be fair Laverty did ahve a great mid to end 2013, quicker than Sykes really.

But this year he has been treading water and perosnally I think should be put out to grass as he clearly has had this deal sorted since 2013 and has no intention of doing anything on that Suzuki once he knew he had no chace of getitng that ride after wrecking a bike in testing lol!

#2314 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 17:40

Nicky Hayden to miss Indy and Brno. Leon Camier will stand in for him.

#2315 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,857 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 18:25

lol Camier is going to do a full season despite not having a full time ride ^^

#2316 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 21:24

lol Camier is going to do a full season despite not having a full time ride ^^

So far he's been on a BMW S1000RR, an MV Augusta F4 and soon a Honda RCV1000R. How many more by the end of the season? :)

#2317 chunder27

chunder27

• 800 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 22:22

Ambulance chasing didnt do Greg Lavilla any harm did it?

Then again the guy he was replacing was Haydon who would have cost the team, like any he raced for, a fortune in body panels and accident damage!

Niall mackenzie had his best 500 year in my eyes in 1990 replacing the injured Magee

Didnt Checa get promoted in 95 to the main team from 250 when Puig got injured too?  Good ride that aswell.

#2318 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 21:39

The top 10 on the grid for the Suzuka 8 Hours are as follows.

1.  Yoshimura Suzuki Shell Advance              Suzuki GSX-R1000          Takuya Tsuda / Josh Waters / Randy de Puniet                 2:06.703
2.  Monster Energy Yamaha with YSP              Yamaha YZF-R1             Katsuyuki Nakasuga / Broc Parkes / Josh Brookes              2:07.094
3.  F.C.C. TSR Honda                            Honda CBR1000RR           Kousouke Akiyoshi / Jonathan Rea / Lorenzo Zanetti           2:07.398
4.  Team Green                                  Kawasaki ZX-10R           Akira Yanagawa / Kazuki Watanabe / Katsuaki Fujiwara         2:07.752
5.  MuSASHi RT HARC-PRO                         Honda CBR1000RR           Takumi Takahashi / Leon Haslam / Michael van der Mark        2:07.827
6.  Team KAGAYAMA & Verity                      Suzuki GSX-R1000          Noriyuki Haga / Dominique Aegerter / Yukio Kagayama          2:08.483
7.  Honda Suzuka Racing Team                    Honda CBR1000RR           Daihiro Hiura / Taketsuna Morii / Takashi Yasuda             2:08.976
8.  Honda Endurance Racing                      Honda CBR1000RR SP        Sebastien Gimbert / Julien da Costa / Freddy Foray           2:09.224
9.  TOHO Racing with Moriwaki                   Honda CBR1000RR           Hiromichi Kunikawa / Tatsuya Yamaguchi / Ryuta Kobayashi     2:09.383
10. Legend of Yoshimura Suzuki Shell Advance    Suzuki GSX-R1000          Kevin Schwantz / Satoshi Tsujimoto / Nobuatsu Aoki           2:09.775

This is the big race for all the Japanese manufacturers. They all desperately want to win it.

As always, there are some fantastic team names. Here are some of my favourites from this year's entry list.

• Honda Escargot
  • Motobum with Ishigaki Island Tuna
  • Y's Distraction Dog House
  • Dogfish O-Tec Suzuka

#2319 Risil

Risil

• 13,427 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 21:45

Is the Neon Genesis Evangelion bike involved this year? Bit of a nostalgia trip here.

img60336545.jpg?_ex=128x128

Edited by Risil, 26 July 2014 - 21:45.

Advertisement

#2320 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 22:00

I didn't see that one mentioned. Here's the starting grid in full if you want to look.

#2321 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 22:11

Live stream for the Suzuka 8 Hours. At least I think it's going to show the race. I can't read Japanese.

Edited by Rob, 26 July 2014 - 22:13.

#2322 Risil

Risil

• 13,427 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 22:14

I didn't see that one mentioned. Here's the starting grid in full if you want to look.

Found it! It's the 01 bike with the totally non-convoluted name EVA RT TEST TYPE-01SynergyForceTRICKSTAR. 2000's Hitoyasu Izutsu is one of the three riders. There aren't many World Superbike double winners without an English Wikipedia page but he's one of them.

I also quite like CLEVER WOLF Racing, TEAM VITAL SPIRIT SHARK ENERGY DRINK, Team Favourite Factory and Team Honda Technical College, which isn't funny but does remind me of the University of Belfast team that used to prepare Jeremy McWilliams's 250 bikes.

#2323 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 535 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 22:23

Live stream for the Suzuka 8 Hours. At least I think it's going to show the race. I can't read Japanese.

What time does it start? I'm hoping at least to see the Le Mans start if nothing else (grr time zones!)

#2324 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,369 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 22:25

The amusing thing about the Suzuka 8 hours is that the bikes look more sexy even than motogp bikes even though they are not as advanced. 

5967d1162778359-cabin-honda-pics-wanted-

I think it is because you know that is your road bike taken to the limits and has something to light the road ahead.

Got to say Colin with that Arai helmet design and leathers too .....  everything is just so cool.

Andy

Edited by Andy35, 26 July 2014 - 22:28.

#2325 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 22:35

What time does it start? I'm hoping at least to see the Le Mans start if nothing else (grr time zones!)

The timetable page on the website seems to say the race starts at 11:30 am Suzuka time which I think is 2:30 am GMT so 3:30 am in the UK. But the stream seems to go live two hours before the race start.

#2326 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:09

Takahashi, Haslam and van der Mark win for the second year in a row.

I suspect Honda will now offer new contracts to all of them. Expect to see van der Mark on a Superbike next year, possibly alongside Haslam in the factory team if they move Rea to MotoGP.

#2327 chunder27

chunder27

• 800 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:19

What impressed was Schwantz, he was only 4 or 5 secs off the pole time.

Not bad for a 50 year old.

Class remains huh

#2328 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 21:10

The Italian media are suggesting that Colin Edwards is thinking about calling time on his career after the Indianapolis GP.

For highly selfish reasons, I'm hoping this isn't true because I've never been to a race he's ridden in and I'm going to Silverstone this year. 

Edited by Rob, 28 July 2014 - 21:11.

#2329 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,583 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 22:26

He needed to retire yesterday. I'm sure it's becoming embarrassing for him to ride around at the back whilst Aleix gains the plaudits. It's a total waste of a good bike, and hardly any come around in that class.

#2330 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,949 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:55

Jorge Navarro to replace Livio Loi at MarcVDS Moto3. He is one of 2 riders other than 14 year old Fabio Quartararo to win a CEV race this year and is currently 2nd in the championship

http://motor-racing....ds#.U9dTSvna6qd

#2331 paulb

paulb

• 2,476 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 15:08

He needed to retire yesterday. I'm sure it's becoming embarrassing for him to ride around at the back whilst Aleix gains the plaudits. It's a total waste of a good bike, and hardly any come around in that class.

I for one, think he can still turn it around on the new chassis.  He and his laptop jockeys need more time to sort out the electronics.

#2332 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,949 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:49

Red Bull to sponsor Repsol Honda MotoGP team in 2015 and 2016

#2333 chunder27

chunder27

• 800 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:22

Worlds most staggering post!!

I know it's not your fault Gilles, but let's face it if they were going to pull out it would ahve been when biaggi or Barros was there, not when they are going to win the next 10 champioships!

#2334 DS27

DS27

• 993 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:28

A not so surprising announcement - BT Sport are already putting their monthly price up by over 10%.

#2335 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,949 posts

Posted Today, 11:36

KTM to MotoGP from 2017

http://www.speedweek...017-MotoGP.html

What is the schedule?

We will be in May 2015 have the V4 engine to the test. The first roll-out of the RC16 model is planned for fall 2015. 2016 we will use for the final development throughout the year. The end of 2016 it will be available. May be 2016 already contested first wildcard race in the fall, which is our timeline. For 2016 we need a quick test driver. 

#2336 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,949 posts

Posted Today, 11:38

Cal to LCR?

http://www.speedweek...ckt-naeher.html

Hectic at Ducati and LCR Honda: Cal Crutchlow can get off at Ducati until midnight tonight from the two-year contract - and übermehmen the place of Stefan Bradl in the LCR Honda.

#2337 chunder27

chunder27

• 800 posts

Posted Today, 12:01

Is that the same V4 that Roberts droped after half a year a few years back?

As I recall Kenny saying, ti wasnt much better than a road engine!

#2338 Rob

Rob

• 8,135 posts

Posted Today, 12:28

I think Cal to LCR would be an odd move. Where do you go afterwards? There's no chance to get into the factory team while they've got Marquez and Pedrosa.

If it was me, I'd bide my time and see if Gigi's new Ducati is a big step forward.

If Cal goes to LCR then I can see Bradl ending up at Forward Racing.