2014 Silly Season [merged] Part II

• Please log in to reply
783 replies to this topic

#451 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 17:02

Some Googling suggests the original source is Auto Motor und Sport.

This article to be precise: http://www.auto-moto...am-7961347.html

They don't really say Caterham is seriously considering Alguersuari or di Resta, but it does say, they both (and a ton of other drivers) were by Caterham.

Advertisement

#452 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 17:03

Well I think the same can be said about many forum users: their bashing attitude is wrong.

Besides: you can't really judge someone that you don't know in person. How do you know how Paul behaved with his colleagues or with the Force India engineers & mechanics?.

Well, there's certainly some truth in that, but you do have to ask youself why he's so unloved; posters from around the world, fans of many other drivers, he's managed to unite them all in putting their backs up. Of course he's not the devil incarnate, but I'm afraid he has a real gift for pissing people off.

#453 JeordieX

JeordieX

• 26 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 17:51

Eddie's Prediction - but would have predicted Magnussen and Kvyat before they happened??? And Raikkonen for that matter.

https://twitter.com/...269897103855616

Plus he did this

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9XUUQqqQNRY

Edited by JeordieX, 21 December 2013 - 17:54.

#454 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,935 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 18:09

Kobayashi and Alguersuari @ Caterham

I wonder how Jaime would feel about that, considering they've had the odd tussle in the past...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wHsyDzMGhbo

Still, he'd probably be glad to get a seat after being out for a couple of years...

#455 pathogen

pathogen

• 110 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 18:52

With what money? I don't believe Slim is paying his way and Sutil doesn't bring a whole lot. The Russian connection seems Russian Roulette and they let their biggest talent go. It just doesn't add up.

Edit

And it would make the Sauber lineup underwhelming at best.

Let me give you one perspective… Slim has the power to buy almost any Team at any moment. His people has made the tracking regrad the impact of his investement with Teams and drivers and belive me, is very very positive in terms of impact and brand equity with teens and young adults as a target in Mexico and Latinomamerica. Don´t underestimate the III world   ;)

#456 BRG

BRG

• 11,572 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 19:46

His attitude is all wrong, every single error he makes and its 'blame the team'. I felt sorry for the people who work behind the scenes unnoticed doing great jobs just to get slated by Di Resta.

How do you know?  Quote us a source for once, instead of this  ridiculous myth.  Clearly he pissed off everyone at Mercedes royally, that's why they sent him from DTM to to a F1 seat at Force India.  It's funny that the hatred only started once people realised that he wasn't Italian, but British!

#457 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,698 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:25

It would be interesting to know how many posters feel Chilton deserves another year at Marussia. I have been disappointed by the number of commentators unwilling to criticise his performance. I had to suspend my disbelief when I read in the AUTOSPORT season review that he merited a seat since his results were not as bad as the could have been,

#458 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:31

It would be interesting to know how many posters feel Chilton deserves another year at Marussia. I have been disappointed by the number of commentators unwilling to criticise his performance. I had to suspend my disbelief when I read in the AUTOSPORT season review that he merited a seat since his results were not as bad as the could have been,

Talk about damned by faint praise :lol: He should really be too embarrassed to stay.

#459 Kristian

Kristian

• 588 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:40

To be fair, finishing every race in your rookie season is quite an achievement. I think Bianchi is a great talent too, so overall I think Chilton did pretty well. 

Advertisement

#460 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,913 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:44

Chilton is, in absolute terms, ofcourse a very good driver. You can't finish a whole F1 season and finish every race, without being one of the best 100 drivers in the world.

However.

It is much easier to stay out of the trouble at the absolute end of the grid or at the absolute front. It is middle of top ten and midfield where repuations are won are lost. The abililty to mix it there and still finish races are where the men are seperated from the boys. Yeah, Vettel wins from the front but has proved he race from the back to the front as well, and he has proved he can race midfield too (at Toro Rosso and soforth).

Anyways, I don't think it is such a big affront to F1 that Chilton is in F1. I remember times when drivers with sponsors would crash a car about every race!

#461 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,698 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 13:20

I'm afraid it is an afront when one considers the approbrium heaped on Maldonado. Technically he did not finish every race. He was classified which you can achieve if you are within 5 laps of P1.

#462 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,630 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 13:48

To be fair, finishing every race in your rookie season is quite an achievement. I think Bianchi is a great talent too, so overall I think Chilton did pretty well. 

Is it, though? To me what that means is that he wasn't pushing the car to its limits. If he had been, surely he would have binned it at least once in a race?

You just have to look at the example of Ricciardo's run at HRT. By his own admission the first few races he wasn't pushing at 100% because binning the car would have wasted the potential to learn by being on the race track. But he ramped it up progressively and rapidly as he got more seat time.

I don't think we really saw that with Chilton. He improved as the season went on, sure, but not rapidly enough and I very much doubt he ever got that car near to 100%. He had an OK rookie season, but I'd say all of the other rookies over the last few years at any of the young teams have done better. They've looked more like they were at the edge trying to extract more from themselves and the car. Chilton just looks like he's been within both the car's and his own limits.

#463 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,872 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 14:30

This article to be precise: http://www.auto-moto...am-7961347.html

They don't really say Caterham is seriously considering Alguersuari or di Resta, but it does say, they both (and a ton of other drivers) were by Caterham.

Seriously, Alguersuari? What's he been up to since he left F1? I haven't seen or read anything racing related about him since then. I doubt he's a candidate at Caterham.

If they weren't in need of money, surely Caterham would hire a pairing of Di Resta/Kobayashi or something.

#464 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 14:42

Quite. PdR and KK would be a pretty decent pairy for a tail end team, and they're both seemingly very keen to get F1 drives.

#465 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,251 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 15:31

Alguersuari was doing some Pirelli testing, so he's at least 'current'.

#466 rghojai

rghojai

• 366 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:42

Striking to see the graphic with Jordan's predictions. If true, only two teams -- Merc and Marussia -- will keep the pairing from last year.

#467 Mohican

Mohican

• 775 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:10

Most posters here appear to ignore that more than speed & funding is required to make it as an F1 driver; you need a good manager & the right kind of backing - the kind that can bring additional business opportunities to a team, it's owners and other sponsors. You need the car to be fast and the team to work well, as well as knowing how to deal with Bernie and the FIS. On top of that you need the personality to work in a big de facto corporate environment - to know when to speak up and when not. And finally you need to be lucky, in that all these things need to come together at the same time.

Otherwise, things do not work out. Ask Sergio Perez, Paul di Resta, even Lewis Hamilton a year ago.

#468 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,698 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:08

My reckoning is Chilton's future is linked to who Caterham sign. If Caterham sign a driver that's quicker than Bianchi Marussia will have to look for someone else. If Caterham go down the VDG/ Ericsson he'll probably keep his seat.

#469 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,810 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:31

My reckoning is Chilton's future is linked to who Caterham sign. If Caterham sign a driver that's quicker than Bianchi Marussia will have to look for someone else. If Caterham go down the VDG/ Ericsson he'll probably keep his seat.

Who's quicker than Bianchi? Not many drivers I reckon.

#470 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,214 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:32

Exactly, which is why Marussia is going to get a cash cow as its 2nd driver. They only need 1 driver to pull one perfomance which puts them ahead of Caterham for the rest of the season

#471 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:33

Kobayashi is a nice guy and good driver, but I think it would be unfair to Kovalainen. Heikki agreed to help team, being released for pay-drivers, in 2013. Then in Singapore Tony said, that Heikki`s chances are very very good and he will not start with 2 pay drivers in 2014. So it was like almost certain future for Kovalainen. And now they search for pay drivers again. And unfortunately for Kamui he is pure pay-driver in this situation. Even more than Giedo, because VDG is driver with sponsors and Kamui is driver with cash. So even if I like Kamui, I think it`s really unfair to Heikki, maybe even betrayal.

BTW, I read yesterday, that Ericsson`s manager said Marcus will not be in Caterham. They haven`t even started negotiations, and VIPs in Brazil were presents of team leader, who is his friend.

http://na.se/sporten...-marcus-ryktena

#472 proviz

proviz

• 214 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:47

Yes, this Ericsson to Caterham rumour has been truly peculiar. Eje Elgh has been acting as Marcus' adviser for years and he came out with some pretty unequivocal comments for Swedish newspaper Nerikes Allehanda. Here's is a partial translation of what he said in the above link:

"In all honesty, neither Marcus or I have got a clue of what’s going on at Caterham."

Regarding talk of a mega sponsor, who would buy Marcus a seat, Elgh said: "I want to firmly deny that. We haven’t got any heavy-hitter sponsors generally."

And more: "All I know is that somebody said to BBC Marcus is a candidate for Caterham and somebody has also been mentioning it in a Finnish newspaper. Lots of speculation has then been built on that.

If Caterham has got something developing that we don’t know of, then it would be a very nice Xmas present. But that’s not something we dare to believe in."

On a more practical note, Elgh revealed where their efforts are focused for 2014: "We are discussing sports cars or WSR and something’s come up in the US too."

#473 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 94 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:00

What's with the Bianchi hype ?
We can only rate him as being better than Chilton

#474 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,872 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:39

I hope Caterham go back to the 2010 route. Back then I was cheering as they were the only new team to sign two experienced non paydrivers with Trulli and Kovalainen. Them signing Di Resta and Kobayashi for example would be great. Though the chances of that happening are pretty slim I know.

#475 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,698 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:45

Of the drivers not presently in an F1 drive, I would place Kobayashi and Valsecchi ahead of Bianchi. Granted Valsecchi is not under consideration by Caterham. As for Kovalainen, his stock has tanked after those outings with Lotus. What's the point of experience without speed It would be a gross miscalculation for Marussia to rely on a freak result to attain the ranking 10th place. The balance of probability will always favour the faster driver/car combination. Marussia could just as easily fall victim to circumstance as happened in Interlagos 2012 (Vergne rear ended Glock behind the safety car).

#476 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:52

Of the drivers not presently in an F1 drive, I would place Kobayashi and Valsecchi ahead of Bianchi. Granted Valsecchi is not under consideration by Caterham. As for Kovalainen, his stock has tanked after those outings with Lotus. What's the point of experience without speed It would be a gross miscalculation for Marussia to rely on a freak result to attain the ranking 10th place. The balance of probability will always favour the faster driver/car combination. Marussia could just as easily fall victim to circumstance as happened in Interlagos 2012 (Vergne rear ended Glock behind the safety car).

I`m pretty sure Kovalainen still has speed. Fisichella failed in Ferrari the same year he was on podium driving Force India. Heikki haven`t used soft tyres, had mechanical problems and just had not enough experience in that car. In Japan Kovalainen was 0,5s faster than VDG, driving the same programm in FP1. And in FP2 Pic and VDG can`t beat his time on softer compounds. Kobayashi, who is so popular here, had even less practise in F-1 car this year. Plus year in WEC changes his driving style

Edited by Silentium, 23 December 2013 - 10:58.

#477 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,770 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:18

Another update. Only 3 seats left with Caterham and Marussia.

Infiniti Red Bull Racing
Red Bull Racing RB10 – Renault Energy F1-2014 1.6 V6T (engine deal until '16)
Team Principal: Christian Horner ; Technical Director: Adrian Newey
Sebastian Vettel (on a long-term deal through '15)
Daniel Ricciardo (confirmed)

Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team (HWA might get involved in ownership through Toto Wolff)
Mercedes F1 W05 – Mercedes FO106A 1.6 V6T
CEO : Toto Wolff ; Technical Director: Bob Bell
Nico Rosberg (on a multi-year deal beyond '13)
Lewis Hamilton (signed for '13-'15)

Scuderia Ferrari
Ferrari F2014 – Ferrari 059/3 1.6 V6T
Team Principal: Stefano Domenicali ; Technical Director: Pat Fry (engineering), James Allison (chassis)
Fernando Alonso (contracted through '16)
Kimi Räikkönen (1- or 2-year deal with option for another)

Lotus F1 Team (merger with Caterham rumoured)
Lotus E22 – Renault Energy F1-2014 1.6 V6T
Team Principal: Eric Boullier ; Technical Director: Nick Chester
Romain Grosjean (confirmed)
Pastor Maldonado (confirmed)

Gilette McLaren Mercedes (title sponsor rumoured)
McLaren MP4-29 – Mercedes FO106A 1.6 V6T (last year of Mercedes partnership; Honda from '15 onwards)
Team Principal: Martin Whitmarsh ; Technical Director: Tim Goss
Jenson Button (contracted through '13 with option for '14)
Kevin Magnussen (confirmed; probably on long-term contract)

Sahara Force India F1 Team
Force India VJM07 – Mercedes FO106A 1.6 V6T (multi-year deal)
Team Principal: Vijay Mallya ; Technical Director: Andrew Green
Nico Hülkenberg (confirmed; on "a multi-year deal")

Sergio Pérez (confirmed; on "a multi-year deal")

Sauber F1 Team (merger with Marussia rumoured)
Sauber C33 – Ferrari 059/3 1.6 V6T
Team Principal: Monisha Kaltenborn ; Chief Designer: Eric Gandelin
Adrian Sutil (confirmed)

Esteban Gutiérrez (confirmed)

Scuderia Toro Rosso
Toro Rosso STR9 – Renault  Energy F1-2014 1.6 V6T
Team Principal: Franz Tost ; Technical Director: James Key
Jean-Éric Vergne (confirmed)
Daniil Kvyat (confirmed)

Williams F1 Team
Williams FW36 – Mercedes FO106A 1.6 V6T (multi-year deal)
Team Principal: Frank Williams ; Chief Technical Officer: Pat Symonds
Felipe Massa (on a multi-year contract, according to the team)
Valtteri Bottas (on a multi-year contract, according to the team)

Marussia F1 Team (merger with Sauber rumoured)
Marussia MR03 – Ferrari 059/3 1.6 V6T
Team Principal: John Booth ; Technical Director: T.B.A.
Jules Bianchi (confirmed)
Max Chilton (current driver; maybe with long-term deal)
Vitaly Petrov (rumoured)
Felipe Nasr (rumoured)
Stoffel Vandoorne (rumoured)
Giedo van der Garde (rumoured)
Stefano Coletti (rumoured)

Caterham F1 Team (merger with Lotus rumoured)
Caterham CT04 – Renault  Energy F1-2014 1.6 V6T
Team Principal: Cyril Abiteboul ; Technical Director: Mark Smith
Charles Pic (said to be on a long-term deal)
Giedo van der Garde (current driver)
Heikki Kovalainen (former driver; rumoured)

Marcus Ericsson (rumoured)

Kamui Kobayashi (rumoured)
Alexander Rossi (rumoured)
Felipe Nasr (rumoured)
Robin Frijns (rumoured)
Vitaly Petrov (rumoured)

Edited by lustigson, 23 December 2013 - 13:10.

#478 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,698 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:20

I`m pretty sure Kovalainen still has speed. Fisichella failed in Ferrari the same year he was on podium driving Force India. Heikki haven`t used soft tyres, had mechanical problems and just had not enough experience in that car. In Japan Kovalainen was 0,5s faster than VDG, driving the same programm in FP1. And in FP2 Pic and VDG can`t beat his time on softer compounds. Kobayashi, who is so popular here, had even less practise in F-1 car this year. Plus year in WEC changes his driving style

If you want to perform a valid comparison of times you need to compare times in the same session. Comparing Morning and afternoon sessions is invalid since track conditions will differ even allowing for fuel adjustments. The real horror show is to look at Kovalainen's lap charts for the last two races.

I'm afraid excusing a poor performance because another driver in another car suffered  poor performances is absurd. Fisichella at the time he made the Ferrari switch was well past his use by date.

#479 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,630 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:54

Marussia F1 Team (merger with Sauber rumoured)
Marussia MR03 – Ferrari 059/3 1.6 V6T
Team Principal: John Booth ; Technical Director: T.B.A.
Jules Bianchi (confirmed)
Max Chilton (current driver; maybe with long-term deal)
Vitaly Petrov (rumoured)
Esteban Gutiérrez (rumoured)
Felipe Nasr (rumoured)
Giedo van der Garde (rumoured)
Marcus Ericsson (rumoured)
Stefano Coletti (rumoured)

Caterham F1 Team (merger with Lotus rumoured)
Caterham CT04 – Renault  Energy F1-2014 1.6 V6T
Team Principal: Cyril Abiteboul ; Technical Director: Mark Smith
Charles Pic (said to be on a long-term deal)
Giedo van der Garde (current driver)
Heikki Kovalainen (former driver; rumoured)
Alexander Rossi (rumoured)
Felipe Nasr (rumoured)
Robin Frijns (rumoured)
Esteban Gutiérrez (rumoured)
Vitaly Petrov (rumoured)

Kamui Kobayashi (rumoured)

Ericsson still in the wrong list (although latest denials from his management team make it sound like he shouldn't be in either!) - he's been rumoured at Caterham by both EJ and Cooper. Not seen any rumours for Marussia at all - in fact, if you do a google search for "Marcus Ericsson" Marussia you get a bunch of articles linking him to Caterham. Including one where the Abiteboul admits he's on their list (back in Nov ... one wonders if that exposes Marcus' manager as being economical with the truth?).

Advertisement

#480 Starchild

Starchild

• 69 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:01

Frijns :)

It would be great if Caterham can sign one experienced proven driver like Kobayashi alongside one big talent like Frijns.

Kobayashi-Frijns lineup would be just awesome :cool:

#481 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:24

If you want to perform a valid comparison of times you need to compare times in the same session. Comparing Morning and afternoon sessions is invalid since track conditions will differ even allowing for fuel adjustments. The real horror show is to look at Kovalainen's lap charts for the last two races.

I'm afraid excusing a poor performance because another driver in another car suffered  poor performances is absurd. Fisichella at the time he made the Ferrari switch was well past his use by date.

I compared the same FP1 times in Japan-2013 of HK and VDG.

And Heikki`s lap charts were not bad everywhere, except of Brazil sunday. In USA he was comfortably in top-10 before KERS failure and frontwing issue, that is very impressive for first race in new car. Then he started to lose places because of damage and make extra pit-stop. His best lap time was comfortably in top-10 too. Writing about Fisichella I mean, that even guy in good shape can`t perform good in new car. GF was great this year in FI, fighting for victory in one of races. In Ferrari weeks later he was much much slower, than Kimi. So it is unfair to judge Heikki for Brazil race.

He had a lot of impressive performances throught his career, and I think he is at least not worse, than Kamui, who is a great driver, but has a lot of highs and lows during season. Plus Heikki made a lot of work for 2014 car in simulator this year. That is why I think he deserves this place more

Edited by Silentium, 23 December 2013 - 12:26.

#482 apoka

apoka

• 3,511 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:36

14 drivers rumored for the last 3 seats around Christmas time. :eek:  That's really a long silly season and I can see why the backmarkers wait very long to announce someone. Both are waiting to hit the jackpot of getting money and talent (yes, even the latter is in those lists).

#483 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,400 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 13:05

I don't get the love for Heikki. He is not good enough to get a seat without a wallet. The interview on Autosport with Caterham indirectly said the same. If a driver has no sponsor, nor wants to try to seek one, there is no place for him.

#484 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 13:09

Esteban Gutiérrez will hardly be driving for Caterham or Marussia.

#485 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,770 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 13:10

Ericsson still in the wrong list (although latest denials from his management team make it sound like he shouldn't be in either!) - he's been rumoured at Caterham by both EJ and Cooper. Not seen any rumours for Marussia at all - in fact, if you do a google search for "Marcus Ericsson" Marussia you get a bunch of articles linking him to Caterham. Including one where the Abiteboul admits he's on their list (back in Nov ... one wonders if that exposes Marcus' manager as being economical with the truth?).

I must have mist that last time around. Fixed it.

14 drivers rumored for the last 3 seats around Christmas time.  :eek:  That's really a long silly season and I can see why the backmarkers wait very long to announce someone. Both are waiting to hit the jackpot of getting money and talent (yes, even the latter is in those lists).

Although it's a long list, the season isn't very long. There were times when the final seats were confirmed on the Thursday prior to the first Grand Prix. ;-)

Esteban Gutiérrez will hardly be driving for Caterham or Marussia.

Good point.   :blush:

#486 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 13:36

If a driver has no sponsor, nor wants to try to seek one, there is no place for him.

So as a fan of F1 you like drivers with a wallet more? I`m pretty sure Sauber and Marussia would better invite Kovalainen or Di Resta, rather than Chilton or Gutierrez. 

#487 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,160 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 13:53

So as a fan of F1 you like drivers with a wallet more? I`m pretty sure Sauber and Marussia would better invite Kovalainen or Di Resta, rather than Chilton or Gutierrez.

It isn't about what you want. We're talking about what is going to happen, and Kovalainen is not getting a seat without money.

#488 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,235 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 14:52

I don't get the love for Heikki. He is not good enough to get a seat without a wallet. The interview on Autosport with Caterham indirectly said the same. If a driver has no sponsor, nor wants to try to seek one, there is no place for him.

Yes I tend to agree. I've never been impressed by him, he only looked good for a stint against Trulli - who was having big problems with the power steering of the Caterham at the time. 

I'd rather see Alguersauri or Kobayashi back in F1 than Heikki. 

#489 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,400 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 15:19

As a fan of F1 I want a host of other things not belonging to this thread. But Kovalainen, Di Resta and a few others are not good enough to get a seat without some sponsorship. It is a sad state of affairs, but it is current day reality. I fear Vergne's years are numbered as well. Who would want a RB reject? Has anyone succesfully left the RedBull team to drive for another team? I can only think of Liuzzu for the odd season at the back.

#490 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 15:41

Yes I tend to agree. I've never been impressed by him, he only looked good for a stint against Trulli - who was having big problems with the power steering of the Caterham at the time. 

I'd rather see Alguersauri or Kobayashi back in F1 than Heikki. 

He outperformed Fisico in his rookie year. And was equal to Hamilton before big crash in Spain.

SenorSjon, yes I agree, that this is last year of Vergne. I think they save him only because of new regulations and very young Kvyat.

#491 SonJR

SonJR

• 144 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 16:11

I'd like to see Kobayashi back, but honestly, he's not going to shine in a Caterham. We might see a little more opportunistic overtaking of a Marussia or an odd Williams or Toro Rosso, but beyond having that replay once or twice a year it would hardly be added value and I therefore see no reason to take him over the others mentioned, unless he brings an equivalent ammount of backing.

#492 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,282 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 00:03

http://www.planetf1....to-return-to-F1-

#493 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,882 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 00:19

And how do you explain his second place finish at the GP prior to his switch?

#494 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,698 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:13

And how do you explain his second place finish at the GP prior to his switch?

I stand by my assertion that Fisichella's career was in terminal decline, that single second place withstanding. His subsequent performances for Ferrari confirm this.

#495 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 94 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:20

Kovalainen still in the picture

http://www.gpupdate....-caterham-seat/

#496 spaceace1977

spaceace1977

• 106 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:05

Mmmm, VDG sounds confident...

@GvanderGarde/status/415414465702936576

#497 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,872 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:57

I stand by my assertion that Fisichella's career was in terminal decline, that single second place withstanding. His subsequent performances for Ferrari confirm this.

Unfair, he stepped in without any form of testing prior to the Italian GP. And it's well known that the F60 was a handful to drive and one of the worst Ferrari's in years. Even Massa and Raikkonen tended to struggle now and then, and they had more than half a season + winter testing in it under their belt.

#498 fluffy38

fluffy38

• 85 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 14:00

Alguersuari was fastest on Caterham sim during the week before Xmas, but hasn't got much money. However, he has pirelli test driver experience and his dad is a big figure in motorsport (in Spain at least) so he could be in with a shout.

#499 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,589 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 14:59

where have you this from? Who was also in sim test?

Advertisement

#500 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 229 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:13

Let me step on the landmine trigger..

How do "pay drivers", get paid? (aka Pastor, Max, etc.)