2014 Silly Season [merged] Part II

• Please log in to reply
783 replies to this topic

#501 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:30

Let me step on the landmine trigger..

How do "pay drivers", get paid? (aka Pastor, Max, etc.)

Their sponsors pay them.  In return they do promotional work for their sponsors.

Advertisement

#502 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 215 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:49

Thanks - and sorry... Meant to post this in S.Q.T. ... (Hazards of New Years Eve posting) :| ... Either way, now I have my answer... Just couldn't suss how someone like Pastor walks around with £20-30M in pocket - and 'who' and/or 'how' his pay is determined... Thanks.

#503 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,473 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 13:53

I guess:

Red Bull Renault: Sebastian Vettel – Daniel Ricciardo

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton – Nico Rosberg

Ferrari: Fernando Alonso – Kimi Räikkönen

Lotus Renault: Romain Grosjean – Pastor Maldonado

McLaren Mercedes: Jenson Button – Kevin Magnussen

Force India Mercedes: Nicolas Hülkenberg – Sergio Perez

Sauber Ferrari: Esteban Gutiérrez – Adrian Sutil

Toro Rosso Renault: Jean-Eric Vergne – Daniil Kvyat

Williams Mercedes: Valtteri Bottas – Felipe Massa

Marussia Ferrari: Jules Bianchi – Max Chilton (?)

Caterham Renault: Giedo van der Garde (?) – Marcus Ericsson (?)

#504 ponq

ponq

• 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:52

Frijns to Marussia? Reunited with Bianchi... ;)

http://instagram.com/p/ivHt4HMF0Q/#

#505 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 279 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:02

I thought the Chilton money was the only thing keeping Marussia on the grid.

#506 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,097 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:13

Looks like we could have a Caterham related announcement this week: https://twitter.com/...906629513924608

Kobayashi tweet (translated from Google): "Now, will this year depend on this week. I can do nothing but hope now really. Thank you to all the fans here. Here is going to be a climax really. You will wish to ask together."

#507 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 10,816 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:43

Frijns to Marussia? Reunited with Bianchi...  ;)

http://instagram.com/p/ivHt4HMF0Q/#

We should take some nice Malaysian instagram that serious?   :D

#508 Lone

Lone

• 459 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 16:35

According to Swedish press Marcus Ericsson and Kamui Kobayashi will be announced, in a couple of days, as drivers for Caterham. They also claim that Ericsson brings around 15-30 million Euros in sponsorship money.

#509 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,497 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 16:42

I thought the Chilton money was the only thing keeping Marussia on the grid.

Marussia don't have financial issues. For sure, they have a small budget, but that does not necessarily mean financial issues.

#510 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 16:50

According to Swedish press Marcus Ericsson and Kamui Kobayashi will be announced, in a couple of days, as drivers for Caterham. They also claim that Ericsson brings around 15-30 million Euros in sponsorship money.

Geez..

Kamui would slaughter him... :p

#511 Module

Module

• 434 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 17:04

Ericsson is not joining Caterham or any other team.

http://www.aftonblad...icle18157117.ab

http://bloggar.afton.../mackan-och-f1/

In the article they ask his manager Eje Elgh and he denies that Ericsson has a budget, that he would drive in 2014, that they had diskussions with Caterham for 2014 and in addition says that he isnt ready for F1 2014 but they hope for it in the future and that they have other plans for 2014 that they will announce in the coming month.

So it doesn't even read as a political denial but a very straight denial of all aspects of the rumours

Edited by Module, 10 January 2014 - 17:11.

#512 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 17:29

Where should the money come from?

#513 Jongas

Jongas

• 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 18:00

Chiton listed on entry list....

http://www.fia.com/2...ship-entry-list

#514 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,331 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 18:03

It confirms that Lotus will indeed be continuing with Renault engines as well (not that there was any serious doubt about that).

#515 Lone

Lone

• 459 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 18:15

Ericsson is not joining Caterham or any other team.

http://www.aftonblad...icle18157117.ab

http://bloggar.afton.../mackan-och-f1/

In the article they ask his manager Eje Elgh and he denies that Ericsson has a budget, that he would drive in 2014, that they had diskussions with Caterham for 2014 and in addition says that he isnt ready for F1 2014 but they hope for it in the future and that they have other plans for 2014 that they will announce in the coming month.

So it doesn't even read as a political denial but a very straight denial of all aspects of the rumours

Sounds more reasonable than the initial rumour. The money part seemed to hefty for a Swedish driver.

#516 sopa

sopa

• 2,193 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 18:35

15-30M € sounds like a huge amount, almost in the region of Maldonado. Find it a bit hard to believe Ericsson found that much or he would have made it into F1 already years ago!

#517 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 18:45

30m Swedish Krona sounds believable, but certainly not Euros.

#518 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 279 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 18:47

I hope the Kamui rumour is true!

#519 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,300 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:18

What other young drivers have a sugar daddy?

Advertisement

#520 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,465 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:47

15-30 million euros? That's Maldonado levels of sponsorship. There is something seriously wrong with GP2 when its best drivers can't find a seat.

#521 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,465 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:55

Chiton listed on entry list....

http://www.fia.com/2...ship-entry-list

Deary me. You would hope that Marussia would have been serious about retaining 10th place. With Chilton still in the fold it means everything will crystallize to Bianch's performance. A harsher spotlight will be shone on Chilton in his second year. He was disappointingly slow in his first year even with 2500 miles F1 seat time prior to the start of the 2013 season.

#522 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:11

15-30 millions... Sounds strange. Too big gap between 15 and 30, no?

And I think it`s too dangerous to sign Kobayashi as "an experienced team leader". He is fast, but also he had a more than 10 accidents with other drivers in every season 2010-2012. And almost 40 in his F1 career. Too much. He even crashed in Moscow Show. Team need someone more reliable to have confident 10th. Giedo is even less reliable than Kamui, Marcus is rookie. Heikki or Paul would be good choice.

Edited by Silentium, 11 January 2014 - 11:12.

#523 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:17

15-30 million euros? That's Maldonado levels of sponsorship. There is something seriously wrong with GP2 when its best drivers can't find a seat.

Marcus Ericsson is not one of GP2's best drivers. Not consistently, at least.

And I think it`s too dangerous to sign Kobayashi as "an experienced team leader". He is fast, but also he had a more than 10 accidents with other drivers in every season 2010-2012. And almost 40 in his F1 career. Too much. He even crashed in Moscow Show. Team need someone more reliable to have confident 10th. Giedo is even less reliable than Kamui, Marcus is rookie. Heikki or Paul would be good choice.

Is there a list for all those '40 accidents' or is that rather an estimation by yourself?

Edited by dau, 11 January 2014 - 11:19.

#524 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 3,523 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:26

Heikki is slow, bring no cash. And I never found the reason why people (as a driver ofcourse) so much.

He is pretty decent chap though

#525 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:31

Is there a list for all those '40 accidents' or is that rather an estimation by yourself?

Easily:

2009 - Nakajima (BRA)

2010 - Buemi+Hulk (AUS), Buemi (MAL), Liuzzi (CHN), Kubica (ESP), crash in Canada, Buemi+Schumacher+Senna (SIN), few accidents with Alguersuari (JAP), Sutil (KOR)

2011 - crash (CHN), Buemi (TUR), crash (ESP), Sutil (MON), Heidfeld+Rosberg (CAN), Schumacher (GB), Alguersuari (HUN), Hamilton+Barrichello (BEL), Buemi (ITA), Buemi (KOR), Barrichello+Glock (IND)

2012 - Perez (AUS), Petrov (MON), Senna+Massa (EUR), hit 3 mechanics (GB), Hamilton (BEL), Hulkenberg (SIN), Rosberg+Button (KOR), Maldonado (IND), Webber+Schumacher+spin (BRA)

2013 - crash at show in Moscow

Shiroo, Heikki destroyed his reputation in Lotus, but it was bad decision to go there. He had problems with changing setup in Brazil. But he was impressive in Team Lotus (Allen called him as 5th best driver of 2011, team bosses in top the same year). In Renault he destroyed experienced Fisichella. Kobayashi is no way better. He lost to Perez and had just  couple of good races in Sauber, that built great car in 2012. Plus he is very unstable. You never know, what to expect of him.

Edited by Silentium, 11 January 2014 - 11:34.

#526 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:34

So not 40 accidents then....

#527 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:40

Heh, you only need to check whether he included the Hamilton incident or not.

#528 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:54

So not 40 accidents then....

40. Or even more. If I wrote "+" that often means he had few accidents during race. Not every time it was Kamui fault, but more often yes. These years Kovalainen had 15. And he hit only 2 cars, more ofhen he was hitted, like in accident with Vergne in Valencia.

Kamui often make stupid mistakes

And Kovalainen overtake him even without KERS in Team Lotus

Edited by Silentium, 11 January 2014 - 12:06.

#529 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,268 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:00

Kamui often make stupid mistakes

I love when people dig their own grave making stupid arguments, but this has to be the funniest instance I've ever seen of that. Well done.  :lol:

#530 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:02

I love when people dig their own grave making stupid arguments, but this has to be the funniest instance I've ever seen of that. Well done.  :lol:

I know this is videogame:)) But this like Kobayashi acts in real:)

Moscow racing show

Edited by Silentium, 11 January 2014 - 12:04.

#531 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:09

Wow, driver caught out on wet slippery city street with tram tracks.   Such incompetence.  :rolleyes:

#532 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:17

Wow, driver caught out on wet slippery city street with tram tracks.   Such incompetence.  :rolleyes:

If it would be once or twice per year it could be bad luck. But he made dozens of mistakes like this. All his career. And no one in Moscow made a single mistake. There was no problem for anyone to make donuts on that street. For Kamui it was a problem to drive straight

#533 DracoN

DracoN

• 827 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:33

Silentium is sad Kovalainen ?:D   Go wipe your tears  oldman

#534 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,806 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:51

Easily:

2009 - Nakajima (BRA)

2010 - Buemi+Hulk (AUS)front wing failure (cannot believe that there's still someone who'd list this accident as Kamui's failure), Buemi (MAL), Liuzzi (CHN) is the one who hit Kamui, not the other way around, Kubica (ESP) who squeezed on him but racing accident anyway, crash in Canada lost way to escape by sandwitched by Hulk and the kerb bump , Buemi+Schumacher+Senna (SIN) ? he crashed alone after finally bing released from MS who capped him for many many laps, few accidents with Alguersuari (JAP) only one of them is KK's fault, in which no fatal damage was done. it's Alg who intentionally crashed on him damaging his left bodywork, Sutil (KOR) is the one who lost control and crashed into him

2011 - crash (CHN) ?, Buemi (TUR) is the one who touched his rear by fw and punctured KK's tyre, crash (ESP) ?, Sutil (MON), Heidfeld+Rosberg (CAN) are the ones who misjudged distance in a wet track battle and touched him from behind, Schumacher (GB) is to blame 100%, Alguersuari (HUN), Hamilton+Barrichello (BEL) Hami admitted it was his mistake, Buemi (ITA) ?, Buemi (KOR) ?, Barrichello+Glock (IND)

2012 - Perez (AUS) is the one who damaged KK's rear wing at T1 of Lap1, Petrov (MON) ? , Senna+Massa (EUR), hit 3 mechanics (GB), Hamilton (BEL) ? team made mistake in crutch setting and was one of victims of Gro, Hulkenberg (SIN) who apologized, Rosberg+Button (KOR), Maldonado (IND) who squeezed on him, Webber+Schumacher+spin (BRA)

Shiroo, Heikki destroyed his reputation in Lotus, but it was bad decision to go there. He had problems with changing setup in Brazil. But he was impressive in Team Lotus (Allen called him as 5th best driver of 2011, team bosses in top the same year). In Renault he destroyed experienced Fisichella. Kobayashi is no way better. He lost to Perez and had just  couple of good races in Sauber, that built great car in 2012. Plus he is very unstable. You never know, what to expect of him.

corrected for you, just offhand.

you doing this on purpose, right? Bother to collect his crashes and dont remember detail whatsoever.

also, why not do that for Gro, Maldo Perez, Hami (esp 2011 where he had bad year), Petrov, etc etc, just to be fair and have some perspective?

Regarding him being unstable, here's quote from my own prev post

Spoiler

If it would be once or twice per year it could be bad luck. But he made dozens of mistakes like this. All his career. And no one in Moscow made a single mistake. There was no problem for anyone to make donuts on that street. For Kamui it was a problem to drive straight

Kov almost lost it as well, and there were several other drivers who made mistake, such as a truck which couldnt stop properly and was close to dive into spectator area.

also such event you are supposed to entertain crowd. besides, Heidfeld crashed and lost front wing in demo run at BMW factory, Gene crashed in demo run, etc. What words do you have for them?

In WEC last year, Kamui was almost always the fastest driver among the four Ferrari drivers. Plus he hasnt made more mistakes than other drivers in there. He contributed to Ferrari titles quite alot.

Who in the world would regard a single, trivial crash in a mere fan event more important than the performance in actual racing throughout the season?

Your argument just doesnt make sense.

Edited by muramasa, 11 January 2014 - 12:51.

#535 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:59

Chilton confirmed at Marussia. So everyone who was hoping the FIA list was only provisional can be officially disappointed now.

http://www.marussiaf...m.com/news/903/

Edited by dau, 11 January 2014 - 13:01.

#536 sopa

sopa

• 2,193 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 13:09

I remember even one of the most reliable F1 drivers in Heidfeld crashing at a car show. **** happens as the saying goes.

#537 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,577 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 13:33

Welll looks like we'll have Maxie to kick around for another year, until his Dad's firm's money runs out <sigh>.

Come on Caterham, give us something more interesting for the last two seats (and no, I don't mean Kovy & Pic!)

#538 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 174 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 15:14

30m Swedish Krona sounds believable, but certainly not Euros.

The amount of money mentioned in the article is only what they "know" Caterham demanded. So it's in euros.

#539 Maikel0230

Maikel0230

• 91 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 15:14

Meh.

Advertisement

#540 rjsports

rjsports

• 111 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 15:53

One things for sure, the drivers will be expierenced. The longer they wait, the less likely it will be they will have a rookie. I mean how does this driver needs to prepare himself for the season if he is only confirmed 3 weeks before the first test?

My guess is they will have Van der Garde and Kovalainen.  It's not the line-up I would want but it's what I think.

#541 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 481 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 16:08

Is Petrov out of the running? He did have some money behind him.

Heikki and VdR would be ok. I think HK still has some good miles in him.

The pairing of Kovalainen and Petrov could push Caterham to maybe get the elusive 10th place.

#542 MatParker116

MatParker116

• 32 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 16:18

It confirms that Lotus will indeed be continuing with Renault engines as well (not that there was any serious doubt about that).

Lotus- Honda in 2015?

#543 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,151 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 17:09

Is Petrov out of the running? He did have some money behind him.

Heikki and VdR would be ok. I think HK still has some good miles in him.

The pairing of Kovalainen and Petrov could push Caterham to maybe get the elusive 10th place.

10th place is luck based these days. With the current scoring methods only one highest ranking counts.

#544 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,465 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 17:56

I must have worded my comment badly; Ericsson is at best a third tier GP2 driver and not deserving of an F1 drive much like Chilton.

Edited by Petroltorque, 11 January 2014 - 18:01.

#545 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,465 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 17:59

Well played sir!

#546 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 6,279 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 19:08

Good to see that in the 2014 silly season thread we're continuing with the fine tradition of pretending that being "deserving" of an F1 seat has anything at all to do with actually getting one.

#547 Module

Module

• 434 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 19:29

I hoped for Chilton to get the Marussia seat and I think he's a good choice for them. Being realistic they only fight for 10 or 11 and only need one good driver and a support driver as they only need one 11->13 Place to be 10th (sadly I think Caterham wont get points this year). Chilton also showed improvement so he might be even closer to Bianchi this year.

So realisticly he is a great choice; brings money, brings the car home intact, reliable, seems to let Bianchi be nr 1 without issues(saves money as they can concentrate on Bianchi), is liked by the team, good with sponsors and a good positive face for the team. What else could they hope for being the smalest team?

#548 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,375 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 19:36

Lotus- Honda in 2015?

Er... no. No-one is getting Honda engines other than McLaren for the forseeable future... That's the point of them partnering up, McLaren get exclusive support and collaboration on powertrains, and Honda invest in F1 without having to enter their own team again.

#549 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,375 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 19:42

Easily:

2009 - Nakajima (BRA)

2010 - Buemi+Hulk (AUS), Buemi (MAL), Liuzzi (CHN), Kubica (ESP), crash in Canada, Buemi+Schumacher+Senna (SIN), few accidents with Alguersuari (JAP), Sutil (KOR)

2011 - crash (CHN), Buemi (TUR), crash (ESP), Sutil (MON), Heidfeld+Rosberg (CAN), Schumacher (GB), Alguersuari (HUN), Hamilton+Barrichello (BEL), Buemi (ITA), Buemi (KOR), Barrichello+Glock (IND)

2012 - Perez (AUS), Petrov (MON), Senna+Massa (EUR), hit 3 mechanics (GB), Hamilton (BEL), Hulkenberg (SIN), Rosberg+Button (KOR), Maldonado (IND), Webber+Schumacher+spin (BRA)

Good to see that there are still deluded people influenced by the untrue stereotype that Japanese drivers are unpredictable and crash happy...

#550 Silentium

Silentium

• 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 19:59

10th place is luck based these days. With the current scoring methods only one highest ranking counts.

It`s not only luck. In 2010-2011 Team Lotus had 2 experienced reliable drivers Trulli and Kovalainen, and they just tried to be in front of Marussia every single GP. It works. The same strategy doesn`t work with VDG and Pic (they finished after Bianchi in some races, where Caterham was even faster, like Monaco or Brazil, where VDG ignored blue flags, so they wouldn`t use the possibilty, if they receive it). And if they will chose Kobayashi-VDG, they will have problems again: both drivers are good, but often spoil good races by silly mistakes, like Kobayashi, who hit 3 mechanics, when he was 5th. If Caterham will finish 11th again they will lose 40 mln this year+40 mln next year, because Marussia will be 10th 2 of 3 last years. As a fans of course we want some entertainment with Kamui, but as a team Caterham need safe reliability.