• Please log in to reply
783 replies to this topic

#51 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 13:49

News from Finland is that Lotus and Caterham are going to merge:
http://inagist.com/a...66819436331008/

Truly dreadful news if Caterham & Lotus would merge and Sauber & Marussia as well.
That would leave just 18 cars and 9 teams in F1.

Hmm...is that why Heikki got to drive the last 2 races of 2013 season for Lotus?

Advertisement

#52 sock22

sock22

• 406 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 13:50

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111660

Palmer joins Richelmi at DAMS for 2014. This certainly suggests that Ericsson is pushing for a Caterham seat.

#53 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,184 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:00

Ross isn't the Mercedes team principle anymore.

#54 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,391 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:01

News from Finland is that Lotus and Caterham are going to merge:

http://inagist.com/a...66819436331008/

Truly dreadful news if Caterham & Lotus would merge and Sauber & Marussia as well.

That would leave just 18 cars and 9 teams in F1.

That's already being discussed here

#55 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,390 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:01

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111660

This certainly suggests that Ericsson is pushing for a Caterham seat.

Or Marussia, maybe even Sauber. If Ericsson is talking to Caterham he will most likely also be talking to other teams.

#56 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:08

Maybe assume is not the right word, 'not surprised if' might be more correct.

As you know for a very long time, the Enstone team have never slipped below middle mid-field (at worst), and along with Sauber (and FI in recent years) do have the capacity to punch well above their weight. Along with the Renault motor, a very good grip on the Pirellis and a developing gun like Growjohn, I'd say most would be surprised to see them slip far from the lead pack.

Yes but a lot of people are talking about what a shame it is that Hulkenberg is missing out on such a good seat that he deserves. They are assuming that Ensotne will retain their current status.

I have no doubt they will be a very solid team if they exist, but even under normal conditions and in better years it's not like they produced a great car every year. This is a context in which I am saying this, there is not reason to think the Lotus seat is going to be any better than a Sauber,FI etc seat, unless you are assuming they retain their current status. Lotus won't be anywhere near challenging for wins next year.

#57 sopa

sopa

• 3,226 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:12

I don't think Ericsson is going to drive any more in GP2. So it is F1 now or never for him. Or some other series from now on, like sportscars.

So in a Lotus-Caterham merge all drivers will come from the "Lotus" part it seems - Maldonado and Grosjean. Van der Garde's and Pic's F1 careers would be over.

Sauber-Marussia merge makes less sense to me, and as mentioned in previous thread, already from logistical point of view as Sauber is located in Switzerland.

Although, ironically, this is how Sirotkin could get a place at "Saurussia". So far the Sirotkins Russian partners haven't come up with money. But Marussia is also from Russia though they haven't shown any sign in investing in Russian drivers so far, at least not in terms of F1 seats.

Edited by sopa, 29 November 2013 - 14:14.

#58 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,425 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:19

Yes but a lot of people are talking about what a shame it is that Hulkenberg is missing out on such a good seat that he deserves. They are assuming that Ensotne will retain their current status.

I have no doubt they will be a very solid team if they exist, but even under normal conditions and in better years it's not like they produced a great car every year. This is a context in which I am saying this, there is not reason to think the Lotus seat is going to be any better than a Sauber,FI etc seat, unless you are assuming they retain their current status. Lotus won't be anywhere near challenging for wins next year.

I'm not prepared to say they won't be anywhere near challening next year, but your post makes me wonder where Maldonado would be on talent alone.

I'm starting to wonder whether those teams (Sauber, FI and Lotus), have been chasing Maldo and not Hulk all along, could it be that Maldo has held 'the key' to this silly season all along.

#59 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 80 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:22

Nasr to Sauber.. Rumors are getting bigger and bigger

http://www.racenews..../1923018/page/1

Advertisement

#60 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:24

I'm not prepared to say they won't be anywhere near challening next year, but your post makes me wonder where Maldonado would be on talent alone.

I'm starting to wonder whether those teams (Sauber, FI and Lotus), have been chasing Maldo and not Hulk all along, could it be that Maldo has held 'the key' to this silly season all along.

That much is becoming obvious. The point for me is if someone is a Hulkenberg fan, there is no point feeling any specific way for which midfield team he goes to. Because that's what Lotus will essentially be and it is impossible to know what their relative competitiveness will be next season (or if one of them will produce a really good car and enter the top tier of teams)

#61 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 14:57

Wishing for teams to go bust because they signed a driver you dislike or didn't sign the one you have a raging boner for?.

And then have the nerve to call themselves "Formula 1 Fans".... :rolleyes:

Some people need to grow up.

#62 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,390 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:57

So still no Maldonado anouncement?

#63 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,179 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 15:59

So still no Maldonado anouncement?

The announcement is in the post...

#64 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,179 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:00

Wishing for teams to go bust because they signed a driver you dislike or didn't sign the one you have a raging boner for?.

And then have the nerve to call themselves "Formula 1 Fans".... :rolleyes:

Some people need to grow up.

You would also think Formula 1 fans could work out when someone was being serious or not....

#65 metz

metz

• 9,757 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:04

Is the engine deal between Renault and Lotus confirmed?

No.

And this is key.

Much more important than driver selection.

#66 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,881 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:05

It's a done deal. Lotus facebook page just posted this:

You never forget your first time...

1470161_685130948171745_1137392614_n.jpg

https://www.facebook...&type=1

#67 bogi

bogi

• 3,089 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:05

Maldonado and Grosjean comfirmed at Lotus

#68 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:06

You would also think Formula 1 fans could work out when someone was being serious or not....

My sarcasm meter is broken at the moment. Plus the amout of hate Pastor gets, it wouldn't entirely unexpected for someone on this board to hope a team he is in goes bust :p

#69 ZZei

ZZei

• 422 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:10

My sarcasm meter is broken at the moment. Plus the amout of hate Pastor gets, it wouldn't entirely unexpected for someone on this board to hope a team he is in goes bust :p

You're surprised people are dissapointed when money outweights talent?

#70 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:16

You're surprised people are dissapointed when money outweights talent?

Not Pastor's fault Hulkenberg refuses/can't get sponsors. Nor is his fault Ferrari, McLaren and others keep skipping him.

And he doesn't do any favors to himself if he keeps skipping around teams each season.

#71 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 447 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:27

That's one domino then... not long until the other seats start falling into place I guess.

#72 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,391 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:28

That's one domino then... not long until the other seats start falling into place I guess.

Although it was assumed that Maldonado’s decision would quickly trigger a round of announcements elsewhere, that is unlikely to be the case. The situations at Force India and Sauber are not straightforward, and both teams have been aware of Maldonado’s decision all week.

http://adamcooperf1....maldonado-deal/

#73 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:31

It's a done deal. Lotus facebook page just posted this:

You never forget your first time...

1470161_685130948171745_1137392614_n.jpg

https://www.facebook...&type=1

That crash was certainly illustrative of both their driver's reputation.

#74 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 16:39

Not Pastor's fault Hulkenberg refuses/can't get sponsors. Nor is his fault Ferrari, McLaren and others keep skipping him.

And he doesn't do any favors to himself if he keeps skipping around teams each season.

Keeps? That'll be once in fact, prior to this season, since leaving Williams was hardly his choice. This season may not be his choice either, since all the midfield teams appear to be desperately chasing anyone with deep pockets regadless of talent.

#75 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 237 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 17:27

Any news on Sauber and Force India ???

#76 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,396 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 17:30

My Team Mate is WHO????

i8638UzVG4Zuf.gif

Jp

#77 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,368 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 17:39

Poor Boullier

untitled-187ujkk.gif

#78 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,390 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 17:41

Any news on Sauber and Force India ???

Well the most likely scenario seems to be Hülkenberg & Perez at Force India and Sutil & Nasr at Sauber but nothing official yet.

#79 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 80 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 17:48

Well the most likely scenario seems to be Hülkenberg & Perez at Force India and Sutil & Nasr at Sauber but nothing official yet.

Hope you're right. 

Two strong pairings. And a great opportunity for Nasr to prove something after two GP2 season below expectations.

Advertisement

#80 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,390 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 18:00

I don't think Nasr performed below expectations at all. He drove excellent this year and showed that he is a smart driver. Don't forget that GP2 is a formula that is well know to give a significant advantage to more experienced drivers. Nasr was competing against drivers with 4 years of experience.

Nasr (Calado also): 2nd year in GP2

Compare that with:

Leimer: 4th year

Ericsson:4th year

Coletti: 4th year

Cecotto:  4th year

Bird: 4th year (including 1 in World Series by Renault)

Edited by William Hunt, 29 November 2013 - 18:03.

#81 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,985 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 18:25

Poor Boullier

untitled-187ujkk.gif

That one was just scary.

#82 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 18:31

Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team (HWA might get involved in ownership through Toto Wolff)

Mercedes F1 W05 – Mercedes FO106A 1.6 V6T
Team Principal: Ross Brawn ; Technical Director: Bob Bell
3. Lewis Hamilton (signed for '13-'15)
4. Nico Rosberg (on a multi-year deal beyond '13)

Scuderia Ferrari
Ferrari F2014 – Ferrari 057 1.6 V6T
Team Principal: Stefano Domenicali ; Technical Director: Pat Fry (engineering), James Allison (chassis)
5. Fernando Alonso (contracted through '16)
6. Kimi Räikkönen (1- or 2-year deal with option for another)

More likely for the numbers I think (unless the permanent numbers come into play).

#83 keiichi

keiichi

• 313 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 19:12

This certainly comes as the perfect excuse for Quantum and Ijaz:

"Oh, since you didn't go for Hulkenberg, we're no longer interested in giving you our (fake) money!"

#84 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,327 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 20:43

By the looks of thing we'll have to wait some time for more announcements, since VJ likes to do em until Christmas... and the Sauber situation seems complicated

#85 metz

metz

• 9,757 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 21:00

lustigson......there will be no Ross Brawn..try TW.

#86 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,396 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 23:13

Lotus signed WHO?

npr.gif

Jp

#87 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,538 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 23:19

I dunno, last thing Lewis needs is Pastor in a car he might have to race with...

#88 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,743 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 00:03

I don't think Nasr performed below expectations at all. He drove excellent this year and showed that he is a smart driver. Don't forget that GP2 is a formula that is well know to give a significant advantage to more experienced drivers. Nasr was competing against drivers with 4 years of experience.

Problem is that he hardly showed any progress from last season when he had his first season against all those other guys in their third season....

In the end his challenge fell completely flat and his teammate impressed me more in the second half of the season, just when I thought that Nasr's growing experience would finally show.

#89 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,808 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:56

Nasr deserves a shot. Infinitely more interesting than Sutil's 26th season.

#90 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 80 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:36

Problem is that he hardly showed any progress from last season when he had his first season against all those other guys in their third season....
In the end his challenge fell completely flat and his teammate impressed me more in the second half of the season, just when I thought that Nasr's growing experience would finally show.

Actually he explained that. He said that he suffered a problem with his engine in Barcelona, and that he had to change it. As GP2 regulation doesn't allow more than one engine change per season, he had to race with the same one for the rest of the year. After races like spa and Monza, I imagine that he didn't have as much power in his car as his team mate had. That is why he lost performance so abruptly in the second half of the championship

#91 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:58

Actually he explained that. He said that he suffered a problem with his engine in Barcelona, and that he had to change it. As GP2 regulation doesn't allow more than one engine change per season, he had to race with the same one for the rest of the year. After races like spa and Monza, I imagine that he didn't have as much power in his car as his team mate had. That is why he lost performance so abruptly in the second half of the championship

I'm concerned that he's becoming someone who makes nothing but excuses.  After the 2012 season, when his team-mate was champion but he came 10th he hit out at DAMS, claiming the team were incapable of supporting two cars for a title challenge.  Sometimes there are explanatory factors for a driver's performance, but I think it's necessary to take some of the blame yourself and learn from your own shortcomings.

#92 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,985 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:25

This. Plus, Bernie would root for an extra Brazilian on the grid at the expense of someone like Sutil.

#93 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:27

That's awful and unfair but it doesn't get him off the charge of never having won a GP2 race.

#94 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 957 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:34

they will be team-mates most likely

#95 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,775 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:49

I updated my list on the previous page to include most (all?) confirmations and rumours.

#96 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,775 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:52

Oh, and I fixed the Renault engine type designation. Apparently is... wait for it... 'Energy F1-2014' — ¿¡OMGWTFBBQ?!

#97 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 80 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 15:38

I'm concerned that he's becoming someone who makes nothing but excuses.  After the 2012 season, when his team-mate was champion but he came 10th he hit out at DAMS, claiming the team were incapable of supporting two cars for a title challenge.  Sometimes there are explanatory factors for a driver's performance, but I think it's necessary to take some of the blame yourself and learn from your own shortcomings.

I don't see Nasr as the king of guy who always makes excuses. Actually, about this engine change, he only talked about it because the journalist asked, at he neve said that it was the main reason for his problems in the second half of the season. I just assumed, based on my own knowledge and commentaries from F1 drivers, that a old engine loses almost 0.3 seconds per lap per race. Especially after races like Spa and Monza.

And in 2012, DAMS wasn't the right place for him to be. And even Valsechi admitted that the team couldn't support both drivers equally. 

#98 No brain no pain

No brain no pain

• 162 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 21:38

Force India : Hülkenberg and Perez

Sauber       : Sutil and Gutierrez.

#99 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,985 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:27

Sutil: The car was a carrot

Although reports suggest Adrian Sutil could be without a drive next season, the German is expecting to stay on for another year with Force India.

That, though, has not stopped him from slating his team's 2013 car.

Having failed to score a point in the final race of the season in Brazil, Sutil blamed the car.

"The car was not particularly good," he told Auto Motor und Sport.

"We had every problem that you could have: understeer, oversteer in the slow corners, the fast corners. You could not do much with the adjustments in the cockpit.

"Ultimately the car was simply a carrot. There is simply nothing that works."

http://www.gptoday.c...r_was_a_carrot/

Right, so Sutil is on his way out at Force India with these comments I guess. Despite what the same article is saying about him staying on for another year.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 01 December 2013 - 12:28.

Advertisement

#100 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,857 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 19:15

Oh, and I fixed the Renault engine type designation. Apparently is... wait for it... 'Energy F1-2014' — ¿¡OMGWTFBBQ?!

Ah, probably because of Burn Energy, the sponsor.