Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Helmet obsessions

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Number of helmet designs: (89 member(s) have cast votes)

What should be done with it?

1. It should be left to the drivers/teams decision. No problem with it. (62 votes [69.66%])

Percentage of vote: 69.66%

2. Might be confusing etc, limit it? (27 votes [30.34%])

Percentage of vote: 30.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:28

Guys, after watching this (hilarious) clip (LosMinidrivers!) I thought: let's open a thread about it.

For starters:

Vettel is changing his helmet design after a race win, which is quite fun to see but with Austria 2014 on his helmet I think it might be becoming more of an advertising board than something else. It's smart, but for fans it might be confusing and/or irritating when designs change a lot, because at some point you're getting used to a certain outlook.

Schumacher changed to the famous red design after Barrichello came in in 2000 and confusion reigned. What do you think guys, should there be a rule to limit the number of changes on the helmet per season or should it continue unrestricted?

Advertisement

#2 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:49

Personally I like the fact that the drivers change their helmets as it shows that they do have sense of humour or just emotion. Not sure about many of Seb's design's and this may sound a bit biased but I think Lewis's different design's are the best.

#3 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:54

I personally don't like drivers changing their helmets all the time, but they should be free to do so if they wish.  The sport is over-regulated as it is without restricting helmet design as well.

#4 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 13:06

There should be an intermediate option, I think. I like the idea of helmet-as-signature and suspect changing designs are confusing for new fans, but it's the driver's call.

#5 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 13:24

The sport is over-regulated as it is without restricting helmet design as well.

Agreed. :up:

Recognizable helmets are nice, but do we really want some FIA appointee loafing around the paddock, enforcing helmet-designs with... what? A 10 place grid penalty?

#6 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:08

i still remember times when f1 drivers (or at least some of them), just for the fun of it, tried out new supercars, new supermodels, new superhotels and superdrinks between races. compared to that, the idea of trying out a new helmet design seems seriuously dull. about as much fun as Kia trying out new grilles.

#7 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 17:08

I'd just like to see less or even no sponsor logos cluttering the helmets. But let them change the designs as often as they want.

#8 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 18:44

I think there should be a choice of two helmet designs per race weekend and the prime helmet can not be used for more than 50% of the race while the option for not more than 30%.

#9 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 19:00

The drivers should be allowed to change helmets as often as they like. 

Actually, in hamilton's case it's quite a good idea as one can see his state of mind just at looking at his helmet..

#10 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 19:07

Helmets haven't had distinctive designs for years so what difference does it really make? 

#11 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 19:31

Hamilton and Rosberg had confusing helmets this season, except when Lewis picked something different.  Apart from that, there was no confusion.  As for something distinctive to identify the drivers - that would be boringly fine.  I don't think those who change them, including Sebastian, would care much if they had to pick just one design.  They would just focus their creativity elsewhere.  It is the fans that would suffer.

I do not think that Austria was an 'ad' - it was an hommage.  Many of us didn't even realize that it was Austria until the broadcasters mentioned it and it would be contrary to his 50 odd other helmets.  Same with Kimi's James Hunt which the broadcasters tried to tie to a commercial event (Rush), but Kimi denied it. I truly doubt Lewis was advertising MJ's WOF anniversary - these guys were just paying hommage also.  So I would disagree with the idea that these were done for commercial reasons. 

We've seen charitable helmets, tributes, and specialty helmets (i.e. for Monaco) and night helmets  - these are interesting and fun.  But if the whiners among us get there way, that'll be just one less fun thing for the GP weekend for fans.

#12 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 19:59

I have no problem with it, limiting helmet designs is just nitpicking imo. 

#13 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 20:13

I cant stand drivers changing the lid at every race. One of the most Iconic images in F1 is the Yellow helmet of Ayrton.  just think If Senna had changed his helmet every race you would never have that. Pick any of Vettel's helmets and show it to a casual watcher and they would not have a clue.

#14 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 20:27

it should be a signature and not change all the time, change for a special occasion - ok, small change on the top - no problem but I like it when a driver has the same kind of helmet for a long time

#15 katmen

katmen

• 825 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 20:51

the problem with Vettel is that he retires design after win, so it is problem of opposition that it is so unsuccessful regarding wins, so more other winners less vettel changes of helmet

leave helmets for drivers free decision and  it is only part of gear that could be personalized to theirs liking (except obvious sponsors decals) 

I would prefer bigger better readable numbers on monoposts even with lightning as is it  at le mans at night/ twillight  races

#16 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 20:56

It's time to stop making rules for every tiny little thing. F1 is way too restrictive as it is.

#17 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 21:11

I cant stand drivers changing the lid at every race. One of the most Iconic images in F1 is the Yellow helmet of Ayrton.  just think If Senna had changed his helmet every race you would never have that. Pick any of Vettel's helmets and show it to a casual watcher and they would not have a clue.

Prost didn't change his every race and we don't have that with respect to his.  I don't think that is the reason Ayrton's is iconic.  Some helmets simply are more fascinating to fans for whatever reason.  Prost's wasn't, Rosberg's isn't, Button's is, Raikkonen's is.  

Maybe it should be up to the driver if he wants to try and have an iconic helmet.

#18 FBJim

FBJim

• 324 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 21:30

It's not as if Vettel will actually pick an interesting helmet if they stop helmet design changes- it'll probably just be like Christian Klein's old helmet, just a big Red Bull advertisement. 

#19 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 21:50

Personally I like some recognizable ones (favorite one would be Mika's helmet). However the sponsor logos are so prominent that it's difficult to not have something cluttered, so yeah. Let the drivers do whatever they want.

Advertisement

#20 Bocmax

Bocmax

• 18 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 22:14

I would agree with something stipulating that the drivers helmets need to be clearly distinguishable (between team mates). I was at first race in Melb this year and took a long time to even realise Hamilton was on track, thought Rosberg was just doing a lot of laps! Spent a lot of time squinting at the TV through the season to decipher Verne/Riccardo too.

Another thing people don't discuss is the cost. Anyone like to guess how much Vettel's helmets cost over a season? In times when most teams can't function without cashed up drivers it sends a strange message that RB probably spend a lowly drivers salary worth of cash on painting 20 or 30 ridiculous helmets a season.

Despite what people here say I do think it's a small part of what's hurting the sport - nothing iconic or memorable about a drivers personality in the car anymore. The references to the 'old days' are good. When Senna's yellow helmet (clearly Senna, not Prost with his white and blue) or Mansell's Union Jack (not Piquet, because his was a bright red tear drop) came around the corner it was adrenaline pumping stuff just seeing the helmet! I think fans connected with that helmet like footbal fans connect with the colour of their teams strip.

So, mandate drivers helmets be distinguishable between team mates (colour scheme?), allow ONE 'special' helmet per season.

Make drivers stop all the crap and give the fans an identifiable hero.

Something needs to be done on how the public perceives F1 and this could be a small starter - get back to basics as well as cut some frivalous spending.

#21 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,652 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 22:29

Just have bigger numbers with more visibility.

Front, back, both sides , and on board shots. Problem solved.

Drivers should be able to wear any design they like. Leave the thought police out of racing.

#22 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 00:47

restrict drivers to one design for the season, with the ability to apply for special dispensation to change it for one off races (significant races in their career kind of thing), right now it's stupid that they can change all the time, it just confuses things.

#23 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 00:55

I personally don't like drivers changing their helmets all the time, but they should be free to do so if they wish.  The sport is over-regulated as it is without restricting helmet design as well.

I agree with this. I liked it when a driver had their design and colours and it was their signature if you will. Now they are changing them frequently with Vettel being by far the worst offender in regards to this but it should be up to them.

#24 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:00

I don't even care cause everyone has a shitty design anyway these days.

#25 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:16

People saying a helmet is a driver's signature... well Vettel's multiple helmets are his signature

Get over it!

#26 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:23

People saying a helmet is a driver's signature... well Vettel's multiple helmets are his signature

Get over it!

I agree with this.  I don't think there should be any regulation over drivers changing their helmet designs, but I wouldn't want to see other drivers adopting Sebs philosophy, I like the fact that him changing after a win etc is unique to him.

#27 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:24

Get over it!

There's nothing for anyone to "get over". People have merely been asked their opinions on an issue and have duly given them. You're clearly just being over-protective of your boy.

#28 FBJim

FBJim

• 324 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:42

Get over it!

It's a giant goddamed Red Bull logo. I'm pretty sure that, by definition, it isn't his signature.

#29 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:06

In terms of helmet design, I think drivers should have freedom to do what they want.

And as other forumer has stated, I would also appreciate bigger numbers on the cars.

#30 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:31

Bernie's point of keeping the same helmet per drivers to make it easier to see which driver it is, is kinda done undone by the Mercedes drivers. Very hard to spot the difference in shade ;p Magnussen-Button's helmets might be much alike as well.

#31 Uwe

Uwe

• 707 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:39

Drivers shouldn't be allowed to switch their helmet design midseason. And they should be forced to being shaved properly and their fingernails should be controlled on cleanliness when they climb into their cars on Sunday.

(This posting may contain traces of irony.)

#32 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:44

Drivers shouldn't be allowed to switch their helmet design midseason. And they should be forced to being shaved properly and their fingernails should be controlled on cleanliness when they climb into their cars on Sunday.

(This posting may contain traces of irony.)

They should be checked on washing their underwear as well.

Source: http://jalopnik.com/...ecial-underwear

#33 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:49

The solution, obviously, is to stop Vettel winning races next year. Then he won't keep changing his helmet!

#34 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:03

Does anyonme really care? Vettel's changing every race is rather sad and a little OTT, I guess they are usually just vinyl covers, but it's a bit pointless and they all looke the same really

Helmets these days are usually about incorporating team colours and sponsors anyway.

Simples designs like Fisichella, Hakkinen, Coulthard and the like still hold true, but are usually overruled by PR if they can be

#35 PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE

• 1,108 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:17

As Brundle says, a helmet is like a driver's signature.  They should stick to one so that we can identify them with their 'signature'.

I also believe the simpler the better.  Francois Cevert's helmet for instance, a few colours, a few lines, and when you see the combination, you think only of Cevert.

#36 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 13:05

Vettel's identity or "signature" is that he doesn't stick to one design. It's not much different to a driver who keeps a design for their entire career. Personal choice, so I have no problem with it. I like seeing the new designs he has.

There is not much chance for individuality in most sports these days that I like guys that go against the norm.

#37 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 14:11

As Brundle says, a helmet is like a driver's signature.  They should stick to one so that we can identify them with their 'signature'.

I also believe the simpler the better.  Francois Cevert's helmet for instance, a few colours, a few lines, and when you see the combination, you think only of Cevert.

This is so true.

#38 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 15:46

I would not say Bettel goes against the norm

All he does is have some scrappy design stuck on a lid, he surely cant have a new lid every race as that is rather wasteful, unless he gives every one to charity.

Going against the norm would be having a lid like Ronnie's, Amon's or Stewarts. Simple, clear and obvious.

#39 RedBullFan

RedBullFan

• 64 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 21:24

I don't even care cause everyone has a shitty design anyway these days.

This

Advertisement

#40 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 21:28

Going against the norm would be having a lid like Ronnie's, Amon's or Stewarts. Simple, clear and obvious.

Those days are long gone. Move with the times.

#41 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:43

I love Seb changing his helmets... my favorite one was Singapur 2012

#42 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:10

One driver one Helmet design should be the rule. Maybe allow 2 special desgins per season.

#43 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:21

I think changing design every weekend is stupid, but I support your right to be stupid

#44 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:19

As the sport isn't clinical enough it would seem logical to limit the amount of helmet designs and as it would basically only affect Vettel it would suit the custom of bash anything Vettel does or is associated with such as his motorcycle, driving or his demeanor in general

#45 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:40

Imho it is about the legacy of the sport. If you look back at old F1 photos you see the iconic helmets of Hill, Senna or even Schumacher in the Ferrari 1996. If you revisit the 2013 season 2033 you will see a Red Bull car winning, but it will always look like a different driver at the wheel.

#46 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:45

I prefer a driver to have his distinctive design and stick with it. I don't mind it when a driver has the odd race like his home GP or a special design as a one off here and there, but I do like a driver to use their helmet design as their identity when in the car. I think it looks better when you view back in history too as they are instantly recognisable.

Vettel is the only driver (in F1) who appears to have a different design every race and I personally think it looks naff. Obviously it's up to him, but I wish he'd just find an identity and stick with it. A new special design here and there wouldn't hurt and it makes things interesting. Vettel's constant design changes for me have had the opposite effect and I am no longer interested in seeing which design he is using this week to the next. The novelty has worn off. Just my views on it. :)

#47 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:50

I think there should be a choice of two helmet designs per race weekend and the prime helmet can not be used for more than 50% of the race while the option for not more than 30%.

And of course start with the helmet you qualified with. :p

But not another rule, there are enough already. It is a shame almost no design is easy to recognize anymore with all the sponsor and gloss clutter. The headrests aren't helping as well. Same goes for the cars. Overdesigned liveries, visible from a few meters, but very poor on TV at larger distances.

But Schumacher (changed his due to Barrichello and people mistook him when lapping other cars), DC, Hill, Hakinnen, Alesi, Berger, Senna, Mansell had easy to distinguish designs with little change and little clutter.

#48 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:17

Since Vettel is the only one changing his helmet then what is the big deal? It's not like people are not going to recognise him... he is the one in the lead. If others are sticking with their helmets what is the big deal? This is turning out to be another Vettel bashing thread. If it were Alonso and Lewis who kept changing their helmet and Vettel kept his design I think we'd have totally different thread. "It's great that they keep changing their helmet designs. It shows that they have a personality rather than keeping a same old boring design all the time unlike that german."

#49 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,918 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:37

Imho it is about the legacy of the sport. If you look back at old F1 photos you see the iconic helmets of Hill, Senna or even Schumacher in the Ferrari 1996. If you revisit the 2013 season 2033 you will see a Red Bull car winning, but it will always look like a different driver at the wheel.

This is probably correct.

#50 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:48

Pretty much this . :up: