• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4045 replies to this topic

#101 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 3,899 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 15:21

article-0-19AE3694000005DC-403_634x423.j

Hahaha brilliant!

But more seriously, the fact that ATM_Andy started this thread has me a bit excited :)

Advertisement

#102 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 15:24

Gazzetta reports Ron Dennis is trying to bring Ross Brawn to McLaren for 2015.

b4ycno.jpg

via Jose Luisf1

First Button, than Honda and now Brawn. It starting to feel like 2008.

#103 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 15:29

Maybe I should put £20 on Kevin becoming the 2014 F1 World Champion?

#104 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 3,899 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 15:33

Maybe I should put £20 on Kevin becoming the 2014 F1 World Champion?

I wonder if what the odds would be right now, if I were to put that down for 2015...

#105 M2B

M2B

• 25 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 15:35

The future is extremely exciting. Can't wait.

#106 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,631 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 16:31

Can't wait to see the first pics and it feels great to be excited about a McLaren again.

#107 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,449 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 18:04

swingo-meter is back!

(after being in the negative for almost a whole year)

#108 mp4x

mp4x

• 223 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 00:41

It will be certainly be fast but certainly not fast enough.

Please enlighten me, how do you know that?

#109 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,520 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 00:48

I love how just because this thread has been started people are beginning to believe, some people are cheered up so easily :p I haven't got a clue as to how the car will turn out but I just hope it is there or thereabouts come the start of the season I really do hope :D

#110 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,862 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 14:59

I love how just because this thread has been started people are beginning to believe, some people are cheered up so easily :p I haven't got a clue as to how the car will turn out but I just hope it is there or thereabouts come the start of the season I really do hope :D

That's the swingometer for you!

I hope it keeps swinging, because I really missed it.

#111 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 17:11

I wonder if what the odds would be right now, if I were to put that down for 2015...

Or how about odds for winning his first ever F1 race?

#112 pongkai

pongkai

• 290 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 20:23

First Button, than Honda and now Brawn. It starting to feel like 2008.

Bring it on. :cool:

#113 JLF1

JLF1

• 70 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 15:14

I Can't wait to see it, this car will be Awesome, and the fact that ATM_Andy has started it makes it even more exciting

#114 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,213 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:16

I think McLaren are in a really good place for 2015. I think they may be the team to beat in 2015. I say this because of the impending engine freeze Feb 28th 2014. Hondas engine isn't yet registered in F1 therefore they don't have to abide by the freeze. They will have the ability to change things based on information obtained in the early part of 2014 which could provide a significant advantage for the engine maker and also McLaren.

#115 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 1,844 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 18:10

That's a double edged sword, yes they will have more time for conception but they won't have have the luxury to learn correct fundamental woes accordingly.

#116 vista

vista

• 553 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 18:34

I thought the engine is supposed to be gradually freezed from until 2020?:

http://www.f1fanatic...gines-in-2014/?

I didn't realize we would see a definite engine freeze already in 2014. If that's the case then, yes, mclaren could potentially have a big advantage with Honda. 

#117 chumma

chumma

• 998 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:42

I think McLaren are in a really good place for 2015. I think they may be the team to beat in 2015. I say this because of the impending engine freeze Feb 28th 2014. Hondas engine isn't yet registered in F1 therefore they don't have to abide by the freeze. They will have the ability to change things based on information obtained in the early part of 2014 which could provide a significant advantage for the engine maker and also McLaren.

I have been singing this tune on here since Honda was first announced, i just wish it was 2015 already!

#118 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,419 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 00:31

I agree. I remember jumping out of my seat while watching the Italian gp in 1987 which was when they annouced their initial signing with Honda for 1988. I knew this would be a huge boost for McLaren as even back then Honda had the best engine. Little did I know just how good a combination it was to become. Of course that was a very long time ago and a very different era, not to mention McLaren had a pretty good driver line-up for 1988  ;).

I'm really hoping lightning strikes twice. I'm still going to keep my expectations in check regardless of how excited I am. Too many disappointments lately.

Edited by Lemans, 23 December 2013 - 00:33.

#119 Hamm

Hamm

• 59 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:36

http://www.omnicorse...a-il-25-gennaio

Advertisement

#120 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,449 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:59

So... the rear suspension, you say.

#121 Exb

Exb

• 1,706 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:25

Hamm
Posted Today, 09:36

So Jan 25th... not long now, very excited to see the new car.

Can anyone give a summary of the article as my Italian is non-existant, although it looks like they are going to unveil the car with an innovative rear suspension but then run in Jerez with a normal one. Why would they do that? I can understand running with a normal one to get a base line and not confuse matters further with the new car and then try the new suspension in Bahrain but why then show it at the launch, if it is a good solution that will give the other teams an extra month to have a look at it.

#122 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,213 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:05

I thought the engine is supposed to be gradually freezed from until 2020?:

http://www.f1fanatic...gines-in-2014/?

I didn't realize we would see a definite engine freeze already in 2014. If that's the case then, yes, mclaren could potentially have a big advantage with Honda. 

FIA Sporting Regs  Appendix 4

1. An homologated power unit must include all the parts described as “INC” in the “App. 4
Sporting regs.” column of Appendix 2 of the F1 Technical Regulations
Other than any parts solely associated with power unit installation in
different types of car
(which have no performance benefit and which may be changed from time to time during the
homologation period with the consent of the FIA), any such power unit is one which is
identical in every respect to either:

)a  A
power unit delivered to the FIA no later than
28 February 2014

edit:

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 23 December 2013 - 12:41.

#123 Owen

Owen

• 10,769 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:14

Nice info Hamm.  :up:  Below is a Google Translation.

McLaren is expected to present its MP4 -29 Saturday, January 25, 2014 , just in time to send the car in Spain for the first session of collective testing at Jerez. The date is not official yet , but the team from Woking asked if the day was free to avoid overlapping with other teams. The trend , in fact, is the maximum delay of the birth of the new cars to give technical offices a few more days to work on the development of the cars. The Ferrari has not yet finalized its calendar , it certainly will not make an event like that this year marked the launch of the F138 at Maranello , but will see the car in the last week of January.

STOP PULL TO THE FRONT The team of Martin Whitmarsh , however, must also give a political address to the team that will run Jenson Button and rookie Kevin Magnussen . The team loses the title sponsor Vodafone , so it is possible that the new car will be presented with the original orange color so dear to Rob Dennis . The MP4 -29 will be the result of the work of Matt Morris , the former Sauber , coordinated by the Technical Director Tim Goss . The design of the car, as we had anticipated, will represent a clean break with the disappointing car of this year. It certainly will not have the front suspension layout pull-rod , nor the performance of the chassis as high as the MP4 -28 , returning to a design philosophy that in the past he had always paid.

REAR SUSPENSION INNOVATIVE It is confirmed that the presentation we will see a innovative rear suspension that could give way to a more traditional solution at the first session of testing at Jerez : Woking do not want to bogged in projects that may affect your performance in a year where the changes will be drastic for the revolution of the Regulation.

MOTOR MERCEDES A PAYMENT McLaren for a year will have the engine of the Mercedes V6 Turbo : this provision will be paid and the treatment that will be accorded to the team Whitmarsh will be the team's client. The technicians at Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains based in Brixworth
( in the UK in Northamptonshire ) are not too willing to give information on the power- unit because they fear that there may be a transfer of data that might end up with Honda , the House which is the window of the Circus for a year, waiting to provide their own stable of Woking in 2015 .

THE V6 TURBO COMES WITH PETRONAS AND MOBIL The lift after the worst season in Formula 1 since the McLaren was taken over by Ron Dennis, will not be easy . There is another aspect to emphasize in particular : the German engine was born with the lubricant of Petronas and all the development work on the reliability has been carried out with researchers Villastellone , while McLaren will use the oil of Mobil , continuing a partnership established .

#124 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 911 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 13:48

STOP PULL TO THE FRONT The team of Martin Whitmarsh , however, must also give a political address to the team that will run Jenson Button and rookie Kevin Magnussen . The team loses the title sponsor Vodafone , so it is possible that the new car will be presented with the original orange color so dear to Rob Dennis .

I always wondered whose decision it was to run in Papaya orange - it was good old Rob!  :p

#125 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,862 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 15:25

Hamm
Posted Today, 09:36

So Jan 25th... not long now, very excited to see the new car.

Can anyone give a summary of the article as my Italian is non-existant, although it looks like they are going to unveil the car with an innovative rear suspension but then run in Jerez with a normal one. Why would they do that? I can understand running with a normal one to get a base line and not confuse matters further with the new car and then try the new suspension in Bahrain but why then show it at the launch, if it is a good solution that will give the other teams an extra month to have a look at it.

I think maybe they will try out the new rear suspension, but if it doesn't work 'out of the box', they will be ready to revert to the old type.

They don't want to waste a lot of time trying to sort it out, which would detract from resolving the other issues they expect to have.

#126 Exb

Exb

• 1,706 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 15:47

BillBald
Posted Today, 15:25
I think maybe they will try out the new rear suspension, but if it doesn't work 'out of the box', they will be ready to revert to the old type.
They don't want to waste a lot of time trying to sort it out, which would detract from resolving the other issues they expect to have.

Thanks - that makes much more sense. My translation of the article was worse than I thought :)

#127 cks

cks

• 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 15:58

The rear suspension is more of the type of dubious aero innovation for its own sake that led to the 28A. It is aerodynamically negative, heavy and has severe compliance problems.

#128 MclarenMircea

MclarenMircea

• 38 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 16:04

McLaren say their newly announced engine partnership with Honda will not affect their ability to win the world title with Mercedes next year. "Mercedes will give us the information we need," McLaren managing director Jonathan Neale said. Neale said Mercedes should have no concerns that information about their technology would be passed to Honda.

"I have to stress here, our relationship with Mercedes-Benz is very good and spans two decades," he said. "We are very careful about protecting our partners' interests and property. "We have given undertakings to Mercedes and they are being respectful about giving us all the information we need but not giving us more information than we need to get the job done and that's understandable. There will be no poaching or dismantling of parts."

Mercedes executive director Toto Wolff has denied McLaren will be treated any differently.

"McLaren is a customer and we have long history with McLaren, so we will do everything to support them from Mercedes' point of view," he said. "We are in modern times so there is no such thing as different specs [of engine] and different specs are not allowed by the regulations anyway. The support of Mercedes is there [for McLaren] as it is for anybody else."

McLaren managing director Jonathan Neale is confident his team will receive equal hardware to the other Mercede-supplied teams, but said it is understandable if they are phased out of future plans for the engine.
"In terms of the service that we are getting, then clearly they are not going to reveal as much of the internal workings of what is going on. But I've no worries about the quality of team we have in the garage or the support from Brixworth."
Read more at http://en.espnf1.com...H7fSDFKYC4ca.99

So let's finished once for all with these fears about Mercedes engine to Mclaren. Apart for the internal working of the engine, the core of their business, Mercedes had to give Mclaren informations about the shape and other things that are necesarry for the design of the car. It's part of the contract, Mclaren couldn's have developed mp4-29 without that standard information. And if the engine is good there are no reasons to believe that Mclaren engineers can't make a better car that Mercedes engineers. Apart from this mistake with the pull rod suspension, Mclaren made the second best car in pure performance, in all this years. Mclaren switched all their efforts towards mp4-29 by late June 2013. They were testing 2014 components at Young Drivers Test at Silverstone in July. Remember that in all this time Mercedes and Ferrari were fighting desperately to close the gap to the Red Bull and than for the the second place in the constructor's championship. Let's not be so harsh with Mclaren. Yes they mane a wrong general approach with the heigh nose, pull rod suspension this years, but even if Hamilton and Button were not so consistend in taking points like Vettel and Alonso, Mclaren had a better car than Ferrar and Mercedesi betwen 2009-2010. If you look on linkdin you could see how much Mclaren strenghet their technical department in the last two years. Yes, they lost Paddy but they took senior aerodynamicists from Ferrari (Savasini and Mercanti), Lotus, and a lot of bright young engineers that finished the Imperial College in 2011 and 2012. Why the people is not talking about Ferrari's problems which are much deeper than Mclaren's mistake this year. Their excuse with the wind tunnel, but their technical team is not capable to make a really good car in this years.If Alonso would have had a Mclaren mp4-27 he surely would have won the title. These structural problems are far greater than Paddy's decision in July 2012 to go for this "revolution" called mp4-28. 

#129 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 17:52

You'll be able to tell before the drapes come off.

2qu9.jpg

Anything like this?

#130 chumma

chumma

• 998 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 22:59

FIA Sporting Regs Appendix 4

1. An homologated power unit must include all the parts described as “INC” in the “App. 4

Sporting regs.” column of Appendix 2 of the F1 Technical Regulations

Other than any parts solely associated with power unit installation in

different types of car

(which have no performance benefit and which may be changed from time to time during the

homologation period with the consent of the FIA), any such power unit is one which is

identical in every respect to either:

)a A

power unit delivered to the FIA no later than

28 February 2014

edit:

Engine Manufacturers Fear Honda Challenge

Variable sized inlet trumpets...now that sounds alot like Spa 91 doesn't it!

Super excited, this is easily my favourite part of the year, so much anticipation, so much nervous excitement! Ps McLaren usually launch on or arounf the 25th every year, I know alot of times over the last say 10 years that jan 25 to 28 are the dates of choice for our boys in Woking.

#131 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,213 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 23:14

Variable sized inlet trumpets...now that sounds alot like Spa 91 doesn't it!

Super excited, this is easily my favourite part of the year, so much anticipation, so much nervous excitement! Ps McLaren usually launch on or arounf the 25th every year, I know alot of times over the last say 10 years that jan 25 to 28 are the dates of choice for our boys in Woking.

I think McLaren is poised to come out quite strong in 2014. The loss of Paddy hurts, but Matt Morris has been working on the MP4-29 and he's one hell of a designer. He's the innovative type and he's the designer who came up with the coanda ramp that RB copied(although they added the tunnel), so he's a very smart engineer and should bring hope to McLaren fans.

#132 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,463 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:06

@ CrucialXtreme

What do you think about Mclaren's decision to switch all their resources towards next year's car at the end of June 2013, after the British Grand Prix? Can they have an big advantage? By July 2013, mp4-28 hasn's touched the wind tunnel, all the efforts were directs towards mp4-29. I know that all the teams started the work on 2014 cars more earlier than in other years, because of the complexity of the regulations, but I think that Mclaren is the first top team that switched all their efforts for 2014, because Ferrari and Mercedes despite working on 2014 cars, a lot of their efforts were diluted in closing the gap to Red Bull and than their fight for the second place in the constructors. I hope that this tactics pays off. Last year Mercedes switched their efforts on Mercedes W04 months earlier than Red Bull, Ferrari, Mclaren, and despite the stagnation of the regulations, thei produces a very good car out of the box. 

Almost every team went for 2014 after Silverstone, even Force India. I think the one that might have not is Sauber

#133 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 2,124 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:03

Im curious about the new livery as well. As it's still a Mercedes engine, the chrome will probably still be there, but with Vodafone disappearing, will we see the red back? Perhaps the livery will be a bit like 2006? When McLaren also lacked a title sponsor.

kimiraikkonen_istanbul_mclarenmercedes_2

#134 Insane111

Insane111

• 505 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:35

Would love orange for the year prior to Honda coming in, depends on whether there's a new title sponsor ready though. I don't think Merc are any reason to keep the chrome, they're a supplier rather than a partner now after all.

#135 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,757 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:57

@ CrucialXtreme

What do you think about Mclaren's decision to switch all their resources towards next year's car at the end of June 2013, after the British Grand Prix? Can they have an big advantage? By July 2013, mp4-28 hasn's touched the wind tunnel, all the efforts were directs towards mp4-29. I know that all the teams started the work on 2014 cars more earlier than in other years, because of the complexity of the regulations, but I think that Mclaren is the first top team that switched all their efforts for 2014, because Ferrari and Mercedes despite working on 2014 cars, a lot of their efforts were diluted in closing the gap to Red Bull and than their fight for the second place in the constructors. I hope that this tactics pays off. Last year Mercedes switched their efforts on Mercedes W04 months earlier than Red Bull, Ferrari, Mclaren, and despite the stagnation of the regulations, thei produces a very good car out of the box. 

I hardly think that is true in the case of Mercedes. It would really be time to accept that. Ferrari, yes, I imagine any effort they put into the 2013 car after mid-season was burned. Mc could indeed have a start over Ferrari in that aspect though.

#136 Owen

Owen

• 10,769 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:12

Im curious about the new livery as well. As it's still a Mercedes engine, the chrome will probably still be there, but with Vodafone disappearing, will we see the red back? Perhaps the livery will be a bit like 2006? When McLaren also lacked a title sponsor.

McLaren have a new title sponsor to be revealed at the car launch on the 25th. There is a separate thread regarding sponsorship (and resulting livery).

http://forums.autosp...or-for-mclaren/

#137 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:39

Is the whole power unit provided by Merc or are elements of it made by Macca? (ERS for eg)

#138 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,757 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:41

@charly0418

Yes it's true about Force India. But Ferrari and Mercedes balanced their efforts between 2013 and 2014 car. They have NOT SWITCHED ALL THEIR EFFORTS toward 2014 car. Until september they continued to have serios updates. Only after Singapore Ferrari switched all the efforts to 2014 car, so two and a half months after Mclaren. Even Massa and Domenicalli said that. 

As I wrote, Mercedes didn't have to.

#139 M2B

M2B

• 25 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:42

For the billionth time, chrome has nothing to do with Mercedes.

Advertisement

#140 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 13:15

dvjt.jpg ;-)

#141 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,885 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 13:17

Is that a candy bar in a field of marshmallows?

#142 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 13:21

Is that a candy bar in a field of marshmallows?

It's a secret shiny thing, with a hole in it, or it a slot... Hmmmm controversial

#143 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 13:24

It's a secret shiny thing, with a hole in it, or it a slot... Hmmmm controversial

So it's a dvjt?

#144 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,690 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 13:30

dvjt.jpg ;-)

It's something very small.

#145 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,885 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 13:32

So the 2014 livery has scales? Like a fish?

#146 bogi

bogi

• 3,160 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 13:57

Looks like drone footage.

#147 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 13:59

dvjt.jpg ;-)

Some form of bacterium, I'm guessing Macrococcus?

#148 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 14:21

Regardless, I'm excited. New car launch period has always been my favourite part of the F1 season.

Me too, the anticipation of what may lay ahead starts to build and build, right up until lights out in Melbourne. Bring it on.

#149 M2B

M2B

• 25 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 14:39

Holes and slots confirmed!

jonah-hill-excitedcgfo1.gif

#150 Zava

Zava

• 5,095 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 16:19

So the 2014 livery has scales? Like a fish?

like a... rainbow trout? :eek: