* * * * - 13 votes

McLaren MP4-29

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4045 replies to this topic

#3001 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,947 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:54

My pre season prediction for McLaren was pretty much spot on. Solid car, podium taker, whilst lots of chaos goes on all around.

If the two drivers can get back to Europe with 50 odd points on the board each, it will be looking good for both the WDC and WCC challenges.

I think McLaren are good at developing cars that will take a performance direction and I am convinced this is one of those efforts. 

Advertisement

#3002 Lights

Lights

• 9,430 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:11

McLaren picked up a fantastic result for the pace they had over the whole weekend. Which is why it will be almost impossible to look good at Sepang. 

I expect two reliable Mercedes', a faster Red Bull and a luckier Williams.  It'll be tough for McLaren to not disappoint too much with Melbourne in mind. You're only as good as your last race.

#3003 Owen

Owen

• 10,506 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:38

McLaren leads the constructors' championship thanks to Button's third place in Australia, but Boullier accepted the team needs to improve its MP4-29 dramatically if it is to retain that position and take the fight to the pacesetting Mercedes team.

"They [Mercedes] are very fast, so clearly they are one big step ahead of everybody," Boullier added.

"We'll do our best. We are putting things in place and working and making sure we can recover on the development and also work on next year's car so we can keep up.

"The guys did a brilliant job, because both cars are in the points, they are big points and they finished the race.

"[But] the target is also to lead the championship after the last race."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/112979

#3004 Owen

Owen

• 10,506 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:51

"We have upgrades for the next race, but I still don't think it will be enough to challenge them just yet. If it can put us into the gap between them and everyone else then that will be a good step forward. We just have to keep pushing the team for upgrades, but they have already got their heads down and there is some good stuff coming in the pipeline. I don't know when a win will happen, but it's what we are working towards."

http://www.espn.co.u...ory/149957.html

#3005 10e10

10e10

• 804 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 13:18

"We have upgrades for the next race, but I still don't think it will be enough to challenge them just yet. If it can put us into the gap between them and everyone else then that will be a good step forward. We just have to keep pushing the team for upgrades, but they have already got their heads down and there is some good stuff coming in the pipeline. I don't know when a win will happen, but it's what we are working towards."

Let's hope so. The mood in the team is so different from last year's, even thought the team is not the fastest right now. Let's hope the win we fans desire coming sooner rather than later. 

#3006 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 383 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 13:30

Pure speculation but I really think last year really shook the team as correlation was way off, they have made great efforts to make sure this car correlates with what they have on the computers etc whilst also concentrating on reliability. I think they are happy with the base and are now moving forward with performance upgrades. This falls in line with comments from the team, Ron saying we will win this year, not sure when we will and saying the car will get better as the season moves on.

I don't think we will make the podium next race but it will be hot and teams may struggle a bit more with reliability. If both cars finish I am sure we will score decent points!

Edited by Nicktendo86, 18 March 2014 - 13:32.

#3007 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,082 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 18:44

Ok guys...I´m afraid that it´ll be so much harder to catch up with Mercedes because in the future (after few races) our Mercedes engine will become inferior to the one in the Mercedes team. They will keep evolving at Mercedes and for sure their engine will be stronger/better. They´ll have spec 2, spec 3, spec 4, etc. engines throughout the season in contrast to our spec 1 so our aero needs to be much better then theirs if we want to defeat them this season...it´ll be very tough that´s for sure!

I just hope that, for the next season, Honda will prepare real and competitive beast/PU :)

#3008 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,167 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 18:55

Ok guys...I´m afraid that it´ll be so much harder to catch up with Mercedes because in the future (after few races) our Mercedes engine will become inferior to the one in the Mercedes team. They will keep evolving at Mercedes and for sure their engine will be stronger/better. They´ll have spec 2, spec 3, spec 4, etc. engines throughout the season in contrast to our spec 1 so our aero needs to be much better then theirs if we want to defeat them this season...it´ll be very tough that´s for sure!

I just hope that, for the next season, Honda will prepare real and competitive beast/PU :)

Engines are frozen for the year remember? Mercedes can only make FIA approved reliability updates, which then must be shared between all customer teams. We're no longer in the times of the customer ending up with the wonky engines with a lost sandwich in a cylinder.

#3009 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,947 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 19:00

Nope, contractually and homologation wise we're in 2014 not 1994.

The only thing that Mercedes can legitimately withhold from McLaren is knowledge.

#3010 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,082 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 19:04

Engines are frozen for the year remember? Mercedes can only make FIA approved reliability updates, which then must be shared between all customer teams. We're no longer in the times of the customer ending up with the wonky engines with a lost sandwich in a cylinder.

Yeah I know they are frozen but I think they can improve the engines and how it works via software or something...just like in previous years, all teams "fixed" or "upgraded" their engines to work better with EBD :/

#3011 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 914 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 19:14

Have any Honda guys appeared in the garage yet?

Obviously they will not get any information on the engine internals, but there are lessons to learn as to integration and usage.

#3012 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,158 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 19:17

That's a good aim for the short term, being 2nd best team after Mercedes could be crucial for decent points in the first few races. I expect big boys such as Ferrari, Red Bull will improve a lot from the Spanish gp onwards. We need to bring in upgrades every race. I hope they'll work as expected. 

#3013 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,888 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 19:19

Mercedes as itself is a young team which has never demonstrated exceptional car development during the season, except immediately after the illegal/not properly authorized test last season. McLaren has done that time and again even if it let titles slip away.

If we trace further back to Honda days, Mercedes car development and chassis prowess becomes even less impressive.

And the Brawn title winning season was them hitting right on the mark with new rules, which might be happening now, or not.

Edited by Atreiu, 18 March 2014 - 21:33.

#3014 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 483 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 21:29

Mercedes as itself is a young team which has never demonstrated exceptional car development during the season, except immediately after the illegal/not properly authorized test last season. McLaren has done that time and again even if it let titles slip away.

If we trace further back to Honda days, Mercedes car development and chassis prowess becomes even impressive.

And the Brawn title winning season was them hitting right on the mark with new rules, which might be happening now, or not.

They only tested the tires during that test, which were changed like 2 races later. So overall they barely benefited for the test AND they were forced to miss the real test where everyone was free to do whatever they wanted.

#3015 kerum gp

kerum gp

• 242 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 21:29

can Honda build f1 car and put new engine to test cooling, power and reliability? they are not among teams officially just yet so testing rules should not be applied to them?

#3016 ayrtonio

ayrtonio

• 157 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 21:31

Why can't they "buy" a Mclaren (old spec), and test with it!

#3017 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 21:38

Probably not that easy to retrofit a new power unit into an old V8 based chassis. Not sure of rule limitations for a supplier currently outside F1. Ferrari ran their engine in the back of a cannibalised La Ferrari, Honda could stick it in the back of an new NSX or 12C.

#3018 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,276 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 21:39

They should at least know where the potential problems are.

#3019 kerum gp

kerum gp

• 242 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 21:55

they could build some simpler model without high tech mechanical components, this could give some good info on cooling requirements  and probably some other stuff. it's not cheap but much less expensive than hurting your entire brand with engine that explodes after 2 laps

Advertisement

#3020 loki0420

loki0420

• 417 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:21

can Honda build f1 car and put new engine to test cooling, power and reliability? they are not among teams officially just yet so testing rules should not be applied to them?

They already said their dyno is advanced enough not to do any track testing. Mercedes didn't run on track and had very minor problems since day one.

#3021 peroa

peroa

• 8,925 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:32

Probably not that easy to retrofit a new power unit into an old V8 based chassis. Not sure of rule limitations for a supplier currently outside F1. Ferrari ran their engine in the back of a cannibalised La Ferrari, Honda could stick it in the back of an new NSX or 12C.

I don't think that should be much of a problem if they really wanted to do it but one year of merc data will probably help too.

Edited by peroa, 19 March 2014 - 06:33.

#3022 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,577 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:36

If Honda really wanted some on-track testing, they have more than a few different cars they could test out the powerunit in... the SuperGT NSX, the HPD LMP cars... even if they really wanted, a Dallara Super Formula car that they modify to fit the engine in.

But as long as they have anything like the dyno technology Mercedes HPE have, they'll be fine. And I'm certain they do. They're not called the Honda Motor Company for nothing.

#3023 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,658 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:52

There's no need for on track testing. Mercedes did not. They did something else, namely create a special bespoke chassis-PU dyno with everything on it.

They've been running it since summer last year. Renault were running a conventional dyno, hence the surprises when they put the PU in a real chassis.

McLaren and Honda would be wise to do the same in Honda's new Milton-Keynes base. It will require a big investment, but it will be worth it.

#3024 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 296 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:35

they could build some simpler model without high tech mechanical components, this could give some good info on cooling requirements  and probably some other stuff. it's not cheap but much less expensive than hurting your entire brand with engine that explodes after 2 laps

There's one but problem - Pirelli will not supply tyres to them, And where to get proper racing tyres?

#3025 Owen

Owen

• 10,506 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:27

Watching 'Mobil 1 The Grid' last night. JB said both he and KMag like the car to be set up in a similar way. That seems like good news as I remember in the Lewis/JB years, there always seemed to be a conflict on set up. Hope that will help the team progress and develop the car.

#3026 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,446 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:02

im having dificulties coming to terms with the fact that Williams actually produced a better car then the mclaren, where do you Guys think, the mclaren is lacking. If the merc engine is that good, as believed, the mclaren car should be closer to the Williams, especially in the light of, that the mclaren car looks like a fairly evolved car, i think. Is it because they went very conservative with sidepods/cooling outlet, is it the gearing, Williams seemed to be very low geared, rb had succes with that in the past, different engine map, butterfly suspension a fail. either aerodynamic or maybe mechanic, i dont know. I just think its strange we couldnt match the Williams. 

#3027 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,276 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:59

Well it seems to me that McLaren so far have been doing the work that Merc have already done on their expensive chassis dyno ie: integrate the PU. They seem to have done relatively little so far with the aero. This seems to be a valid approach for me seeing as they are a customer team this year. I was very encouraged by Boullier saying we have a "drivability advantage".

Not sure we can say that Williams have a better car yet, they seem to have the edge in pace but in Q and in the race there didn't seem a huge difference and they will probably struggle to develop at McLarens rate. 

I think also the sacking of TP and head of aero must have delayed the updates to a certain extent.

There certainly seems to be a quiet confidence about the team, in stark contrast to last year, the car seems to have the fundamentals but we will need DF soon because I think RB and Ferrari will get on top of their issues soon and they seem to have DF already.

#3028 loki0420

loki0420

• 417 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:17

im having dificulties coming to terms with the fact that Williams actually produced a better car then the mclaren, where do you Guys think, the mclaren is lacking. If the merc engine is that good, as believed, the mclaren car should be closer to the Williams, especially in the light of, that the mclaren car looks like a fairly evolved car, i think. Is it because they went very conservative with sidepods/cooling outlet, is it the gearing, Williams seemed to be very low geared, rb had succes with that in the past, different engine map, butterfly suspension a fail. either aerodynamic or maybe mechanic, i dont know. I just think its strange we couldnt match the Williams. 

I think it's strange to say this. I didn't see any proof to your points especially about fail of butterfly suspension.

#3029 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:23

Better? I would give my judgement after 4-5 races, but Bottas was only faster than Button on the last stint for 2-3 laps and in the beginning he was also using too much fuel.

Also the shorter gearing gave him an advantage this weekend, something that will give them problems on the next 4 races + Canada at least in the beginning, as all of those tracks have 1.1+ km straights.

Finally we have 33 points, Williams 10.

#3030 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,472 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:32

But no one was using 8th so maybe Williams have it right?

#3031 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,446 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:33

The Williams just seemed faster, but i didnt know bottas was using to much fuel so. About the butterfly, im not saying its at fault, i asked. But i quess we will know more after the Next race, if conditions stay the same through qual. But yes the confidence is there in the team, race operations was good so far so, and butterfly suspension they seem happy with so. I was just surprised by Williams pace. But offcourse happy about the result

#3032 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,658 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:43

I think the MP4-29 has quite a bit more drag. I predict the mushroom rear suspension will be gone by the european season.

I find it strange that no one (including McLaren) is saying anything about the rear suspension arrangement.

#3033 larkim

larkim

• 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:44

Between 10500rpm and 15000rpm the power curve is flat, so gearing makes little or no difference, providing 15000rpm isn't being hit at 150mph in 8th!

#3034 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 3,782 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 13:27

butterfly suspension a fail

That's a baseless assertion. On what basis do you think the butterfly suspension is a failure?

Edited by mclarensmps, 19 March 2014 - 13:29.

#3035 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,505 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 13:55

I think the MP4-29 has quite a bit more drag. I predict the mushroom rear suspension will be gone by the european season.

I find it strange that no one (including McLaren) is saying anything about the rear suspension arrangement.

I think it might end up only being used on high-downforce tracks. It seemed to be highly effective in Jerez, especially in the wet.

The problem would be in splitting resources, if they had to develop 2 completely different sets of aero components.

#3036 loki0420

loki0420

• 417 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 14:03

I think it might end up only being used on high-downforce tracks. It seemed to be highly effective in Jerez, especially in the wet.

The problem would be in splitting resources, if they had to develop 2 completely different sets of aero components.

That won't be the case. Mighty suspension is here to stay and looking at speed it doesn't look draggy at all. K-Mag was around top-5 in speed trap all sessions in Melbourne. Where is this crap of drag coming from? Or it just seems draggy to some?

#3037 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,658 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 14:15

I don't think Newey talks crap. Given the teams relative performance behind Williams with currently the same best engine, I think it's fair to conclude the rear suspension is not a game changer.

#3038 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 908 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 14:29

Without knowing what the model of the car is doing as a whole - its impossible to say if the rear butterflies are a plus or a negative - they could be working great but the car has issues elsewhere which they are offsetting? As for Williams - you score on results, not potentials. The car qualified further up, finished higher and its drivers got into less trouble. Win, win, win for McLaren :)

#3039 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,505 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 14:47

That won't be the case. Mighty suspension is here to stay and looking at speed it doesn't look draggy at all. K-Mag was around top-5 in speed trap all sessions in Melbourne. Where is this crap of drag coming from? Or it just seems draggy to some?

Well, I think we'll find out in Malaysia. Those are pretty long straights, if the car is really draggy it should be more obvious.

Advertisement

#3040 Nycco

Nycco

• 264 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 17:02

This year everyone needs downforce, not topspeed. You get topspeed with the PU. So the suspension is great for us. Other cars are sliding all over the place while we are stable.

#3041 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,276 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 17:09

http://www.f1fanatic...als-spanish-gp/

Boullier said McLaren had prioritised building “a solid and reliable car” in winter testing. “We believed that reliability was key to take some big points at the beginning of the season.”

However Boulleir said there are teams besides Mercedes that McLaren has to catch up on: “It’s true that we are now pushing very aggressively on the performance development.”

“We need to catch up the gap with Mercedes and also some others because some other teams have not performed well so far but they clearly have, once the power unit will be delivering the full power, they will be also very fast.

“And I think the target for us the target is to catch up by Barcelona, the build-up of the first few races in Europe.”

#3042 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,349 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 17:17

This year everyone needs downforce, not topspeed. You get topspeed with the PU. So the suspension is great for us. Other cars are sliding all over the place while we are stable.

Everybody needs an efficient car. It's not simply about putting downforce with a high drag penalty. Do that and you will have to be saving fuel the whole race.

#3043 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,879 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 17:35

I kinda hear you, but if you have a draggy car with and use massive amount of power to get top speed, then you run out of fuel fast. Otherwise I basically agree.

I am also willing to bet Timstr11 a fiver, that the suspension will NOT get be gone by the European season.

#3044 Owen

Owen

• 10,506 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 17:42

McLaren to take more aggressive approach
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/113014

#3045 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 18:33

McLaren to take more aggressive approach
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/113014

"McLaren already has a significant upgrade package planned for next weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix."

#3046 joegsmro

joegsmro

• 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 18:40

where is ATM_Andy ?

#3047 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:16

Windsor making interesting comments about the MP4-29's front suspension setup.

Basically saying the suspension arm position in mid corner is flat, allowing the tyre to be more square and have a greater contact patch. Noting that the McLaren is the only car to do this. Considering the switch back to front push rod and the fact the car rides bumps so much better than in recent seasons it seems they may have created a very decent baseline car. 

#3048 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,545 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:36

https://www.youtube....h?v=F5E3PLPkWxI

Basically saying the suspension arm position in mid corner is flat, allowing the tyre to be more square and have a greater contact patch. Noting that the McLaren is the only car to do this. Considering the switch back to front push rod and the fact the car rides bumps so much better than in recent seasons it seems they may have created a very decent baseline car.

Wow, a McLaren without stiff suspension? Their biggest Achilles heel since 2009 - have they finally been able to get their aero to work with more useful suspension?

Edited by Jamiednm, 19 March 2014 - 20:37.

#3049 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,505 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:43

To achieve this geometry, McLaren have much lower wishbone attachment points, requiring a much lower bulkhead than any other car.

The designers of the other cars have prioritised airflow under the nose. It remains to be seen which is the better choice, but at the moment you couldn't reasonably claim that Merc got it wrong.

Edited by BillBald, 19 March 2014 - 20:43.

#3050 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:47

Wow, a McLaren without stiff suspension? Their biggest Achilles heel since 2009 - have they finally been able to get their aero to work with more useful suspension?

Apparently so, it may mean a car with some decent mechanical grip. I agree the cars since 2009 have had overly stiff suspension, trying to achieve consistent ride height to allow the diffuser to work efficiently especially with a blown diffuser.