* * * * * 2 votes

Williams FW36

• Please log in to reply
776 replies to this topic

#751 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 738 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:35

The safety car actually helped them, they'd lost a lot of track time making the third stop. They do use the the tyres too hard, but should've switched on to mediums earlier IMO.

Advertisement

#752 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 5,979 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:52

Had they chosen a strategy with softs at the end they might have had a better run after the SC. Hindsight it always perfect though.

#753 Kyo

Kyo

• 749 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:55

Too bad Williams does not have a pit wall or the drivers to keep up with the car.

#754 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,071 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:03

Bit worrying for Williams - they had the setup nailed by their own admission, having run more laps than anyone in testing. Not sure they'll get anymore gifts like that.

I'm pretty sure they gave away any advantage they had by doing no heavy fuel running in race representative conditions in FP2

#755 Kyo

Kyo

• 749 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:09

I'm pretty sure they gave away any advantage they had by doing no heavy fuel running in race representative conditions in FP2

Yeap, completely dumb decision. Better using an extra PU and getting the grid penalty for one aleatory race (especially at the end of the year when they will probably have way less chance to score big points) than saving the PU the entire season and been in disadvantage in every race.

#756 joora

joora

• 298 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 00:53

I think the most worrying factor today was the heavy degradation of tyres, I had the impression during the winter testing that the degradation isn't a problem, so I wonder why are we the only team along with ferrari which couldn't do a 2 stopper this race. I would especially like to know what happened to Bottas tyres which seemed to went down the cliff sooner than any other drivers'.

The car looks competitive, I would say the only two teams that were faster today were Mercs and FI, hope the team will capitalize on some heavy points haul before Ferrari & company get their acts together.

Edited by joora, 07 April 2014 - 00:55.

#757 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,807 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:32

probably related to the lack of rear downforce

#758 X61

X61

• 506 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 18:11

Most overrated car of the early part of the season?  

That's what this team has done best for about the last decade.

#759 chrcol

chrcol

• 737 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 18:32

Yeap, completely dumb decision. Better using an extra PU and getting the grid penalty for one aleatory race (especially at the end of the year when they will probably have way less chance to score big points) than saving the PU the entire season and been in disadvantage in every race.

indeed, I think the lengths teams goto to save a single engine is extreme, taking the hit for one race is better than gimping yourself for multiple weekends to stretch an engine out.

Advertisement

#760 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,015 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 18:34

The car looks competitive, I would say the only two teams that were faster today were Mercs and FI, hope the team will capitalize on some heavy points haul before Ferrari & company get their acts together.

The bulls were faster and by some margin. The moment they had clear they both took off and they were two stopping. 

The season so far has gone exactly as I predicted, early pace is not taken advantage of for a multitude of reasons, everyone else catches up and they end up 7th or so in the WCC anyway. 

#761 sopa

sopa

• 2,196 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 19:02

It looks like Williams will finish easily at least sixth in WCC, which is a massive improvement over their 9th, 8th and 9th over the last three years.

However, will it be 6th or can it be even above that? Because as we see teams from 2nd to 6th are very close together. But to really get a good position there it is needed to maximize your chances well. I think for instance their battle with Force India is directly about, who can maximise chances better, because I think over a full season there is not going to be a big difference between their car performances. Possibly McLaren may remain in their group as well. Their pace has recently been disappointing and it is unclear if they have reserves for me.

I think in long-term Red Bull will get their act together to pull away from the pack. And despite all troubles Ferrari may be too hard to beat as well. I think during the year they'll improve at least a little bit relative to Mercedes Power Units and they have world-class drivers and race operations. So basically Williams needs a car advantage over Ferrari to have a chance of beating them in points.

So it's likely a battle from fourth to sixth for Williams. Everything still to play for. But in terms of delivering results and capitalizing on opportunities I have slightly more confidence in both Force India and McLaren.

#762 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 334 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 20:14

I think Williams has good potential as far a car upgrades, not because of money or because they will be relentless as the Ferrari probably are right now, but because of their car strengths and weaknesses. Mechanically, reliability and engine wise they look very good, their main issue seems to be needing more grip and down force, this is the kind of thing that aero updates can really help. Ferrari for example, seem to have mechanical issues with their engine which is very hard to improve.   

Williams car is born right and with a little twits can easily improve. Even though they don;t have the R&D of other teams. Another thing that needs improvement desperately is strategy, it costs them a shot at the podium this last weekend and Bottas mistake in Australia, cost them a shot at the podium. So 2 podiums possibilities gone by clear avoidable mistakes. 

Edited by Flyhigh, 07 April 2014 - 20:17.

#763 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,015 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 20:38

I don't think it's close for second, are you guys watching the races? A healthy RBR is qualifying and racing 3rd by quite a distance. 

#764 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,409 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 21:37

However, will it be 6th or can it be even above that?

Of course it can be even above that. But will it be? It's too early to tell. I think it's a matter of time when Williams will overtake McLaren in WCC unless McLaren improves. But McLaren certainly is capable of decent improvement, so we never know. There is a chance for Williams that they won't put that much effort for 2014 having 2015 and Honda in their mind.

Force India seemed to have an edge in Bahrain, but it's their traditional strong track. In Australia they didn't seem to be anywhere near as quick as Williams. Let's see how things will look in the next races.

I think Red Bull will run away from other 2-6 teams at some point of the season, but they still seem to run into trouble (reliability etc) from time to time.

#765 joora

joora

• 298 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 22:54

Of course it can be even above that. But will it be? It's too early to tell. I think it's a matter of time when Williams will overtake McLaren in WCC unless McLaren improves. But McLaren certainly is capable of decent improvement, so we never know. There is a chance for Williams that they won't put that much effort for 2014 having 2015 and Honda in their mind.

Force India seemed to have an edge in Bahrain, but it's their traditional strong track. In Australia they didn't seem to be anywhere near as quick as Williams. Let's see how things will look in the next races.

I think Red Bull will run away from other 2-6 teams at some point of the season, but they still seem to run into trouble (reliability etc) from time to time.

Isn't the Merc engine deal a long term one?

#766 FNG

FNG

• 3,119 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 23:20

Isn't the Merc engine deal a long term one?

Think he meant that there is a chance for Williams because Mac will be concentrating on their new Honda power...

#767 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,409 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 00:48

Think he meant that there is a chance for Williams because Mac will be concentrating on their new Honda power...

Exactly.

I previously wrote "McLaren" but decided to change it in order not to use the same word too many times. Sorry if that made things less clear.

#768 slideways

slideways

• 3,078 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:01

I bloody knew their disregard for rated drivers, and their strategy blunders would bite them like this as soon as the car performance was there. :(

#769 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,807 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:23

more testing tomorrow at bahrain, right?

should be interesting to see how much teams can develop and if williams get on top of their downforce deficit

#770 joora

joora

• 298 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:04

Exactly.

I previously wrote "McLaren" but decided to change it in order not to use the same word too many times. Sorry if that made things less clear.

Yes, I've misread the text, my bad.

Anyway, I just hope that Williams doesn't go backwards with their upgrades this year, like they did with the coandas last year.

Edit: my faith in Williams this year is so high, that I've decided to make an upated avatar design

wiliFW36_bottas-01_zps7b5d1ba7.png

Edited by joora, 08 April 2014 - 04:05.

#771 darkkis

darkkis

• 514 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:53

I bloody knew their disregard for rated drivers, and their strategy blunders would bite them like this as soon as the car performance was there. :(

And how exactly, did their drivers mess up the race? They did well there.

#772 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,807 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 13:58

Not many laps. No updates?

#773 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,560 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 14:27

Yes, I've misread the text, my bad.

Anyway, I just hope that Williams doesn't go backwards with their upgrades this year, like they did with the coandas last year.

Edit: my faith in Williams this year is so high, that I've decided to make an upated avatar design

wiliFW36_bottas-01_zps7b5d1ba7.png

Your avatar clearly shows to me how little exposure Martini gets for its money. Or the amount of mone they supply is very littly given the enormous big white areas on the sidepods. Even the numbers are rediculously small and lost within a sea of white. I can't imagine that there are not more opportunities for some creative Martini stripes decoration to show offa bit more and better who is the sponsor.

For me most definitely one of the least appealing Martini sponsored cars ever, if the shape of the current F1 cars in general wasn't enough of a turn-off already.

Henri

#774 Kyo

Kyo

• 749 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 14:28

And how exactly, did their drivers mess up the race? They did well there.

Driving slow is not doing well.

Almost hitting other cars in the back, going outside and losing lots of time like Bottas is not doing well.

Missing every apex in a lap when you are pressured by other driver like Massa did is not doing well.

There is a reason why in the last 4 years driving for Ferrari Massa scored less than 500 points, 0 victories and only 8 podiums while Alonso scored more than a 1000 points, 11 victories and 42 podiums. A driver can make the difference.

I have no doubt that with better drivers we could be doing as well as FI.

#775 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,409 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:35

Your avatar clearly shows to me how little exposure Martini gets for its money.

Title sponsorship, total rebranding of the team with brand new livery, being main sponsor hugely exposed on team's wear, having a logo on the rear wing and significant logo on the engine cover and a couple of little logos all over the car- that's ridiculously big amount of exposure for $15m per year. A few years ago they could be only dreaming of getting anything like that on any half decent team. If I'm not mistaken, RBS were paying more than Martini a few years ago- and they only got a fat logo on engine cover and a smaller one above the cooling inlets. No title sponsor, main sponsor status etc.

#776 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,786 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:46

If they get Felipe in a good place mentally then they can become strong points finishers. Bottas I am sure doesn't need the pep talk but with Felipe.....that fragile ego needs nurturing all the time.

#777 Okyo

Okyo

• 87 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:17

Tire deg seems under control. Massa did 17 laps, on softs, all of them in 1:43 (first few laps) or 1:44, and then started to drop to 1:45. That's better than lets say McLaren and Ferrari. Mercs seem to be struggling with the mediums. RedBull are the top dog here at tire management. Ferrari seem good on quali pace, but tire deg is terrible. Torro Rosso seem good, Q3 quality. 

Seems like we'll be in battle for 3rd best team with the Ferrari and FI.

EDIT: on the 17 lap point, seems i've missread the timing app (as it doesn't show stints, just lap count on the tires overall). Checked with the FIA page, seems he did a 14 lap stint, with 10 of them in the 1:43s and 1:44s. Still better than Ferrari and McLaren, and similar, but longer than FI and Merc.  We seem a lot better tire deg wise here.

Edited by Okyo, Yesterday, 10:03.