Williams FW36

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#1301 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,474 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:41

Williams look a bit further back today relative to Germany. But still very good

Edited by Thomas99, 26 July 2014 - 11:41.

Advertisement

#1302 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,658 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:53

After yesterday's pace I thought it will be all about limiting the damage this weekend. Let's see if Williams can surprise me, but if they end up with the same amount of points scored as Ferrari, I will be far from dissapointment.

#1303 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 13:31

Top effort by the team today; both cars in the top ten and Valtteri in P3!

Tomorrow us going to be interesting; another podium?

#1304 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,867 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 15:32

wow, that was looking good for front row until Rosberg decided to push a little bit lol
got to be tough for the other teams to think they are in with a shout and nico just pulls out another 6 tenths from the car.

#1305 tomazy

tomazy

• 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 19:48

It is nice to see, that the car has speed in Hungary also. So now, nobody can say that the speed of the FW36 is entirely down to the Mercedes PU.

#1306 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,062 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 19:54

Hungary usually has quite a difference between the clean and dirty sides. P3 might even be a better place to start for Valtteri.

#1307 kaisellgren

kaisellgren

• 72 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:38

It is nice to see, that the car has speed in Hungary also.

Because once again their updates worked. They are still behind RB and it will be very hard to get a podium this weekend but there's a chance!

#1308 Molo19

Molo19

• 130 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:06

If Valtteri can overtake Vettel into T1, he should have a decent chance of running in clean air and taking a podium. Vettel isn't super good off the line and he's on the dirty side, so things are looking up for Valtteri, methinks.

#1309 Molo19

Molo19

• 130 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:40

Claire pretty much just confirmed Valtteri for Williams for next season on Finnish television. She said "Bottas is going to be with us for many years" or something to that effect.

#1310 kaisellgren

kaisellgren

• 72 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:02

Williams had a chance for so much more. A ruined pitstop and odd tactics "ruined" it. I guess Massa did alright this time around and let's hope we could finally get 2 podiums in Spa.

Edited by kaisellgren, 27 July 2014 - 14:03.

#1311 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:05

Weird strategy from the team today; Valtteri could have been in the mix at the end with a slightly smarter strategy. But good result for Filipe!

edited for dodgy spelling.

Edited by Lord Snooty, 27 July 2014 - 14:05.

#1312 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:07

That hard tyre was an odd choice but they must have felt the soft wouldn't last for them.

#1313 darkkis

darkkis

• 739 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:07

Back to the reality.

With better tactics they could've even won this race.

#1314 Hans V

Hans V

• 335 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:09

Hopeless tactics by Williamsm that apparently nobody except the Williams pitwall understood.

#1315 Rentta

Rentta

• 290 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:13

Williams needs to make changes to group who make these stupid calls. 

#1316 Topsu

Topsu

• 758 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:22

The hard tyre was 10 tyres short for Bottas, that's not even a small strategical blunder, that was massive! I wonder if Bottas needed to drive conservatively, making him look slower than Massa. His first stint was okay after all.

#1317 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 404 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 14:59

On the strategy, what I did not understand was why not prolong Massa second stint with the M a little bit and let he come out with soft tyres, but it was probably due to Tyre conservation issues. The drivers at Williams have not been doing that great in my view tbh. Bottas has been doing better due to not getting involved in crashes and being more consistent, but you see in a race like this, where you need to fight your way through, react, make the tyres last etc.

How very top drivers are able to and Williams guys are not. Massa with the tyre conservation issues, Bottas, first Pit missing the first lap SC window losing several positions and was basically out of it even though still had 50 laps to go and that is usually the case with him, when things are going well, great, if he has adversities, races fades away. Massa is similar or worst crashing.

The point is and I don't want to be overly critical of the William drivers, I think they are still pretty good drivers, but they are just not top tier. I am seeing a lot of praise to Bottas rightly so in some regards, he still not even close to Hulkenberg's potential in my view.  

#1318 Rentta

Rentta

• 290 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 15:02

It took 10 laps to get harder compound working said Bottas in Finnish tv interview 

#1319 darkkis

darkkis

• 739 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 21:50

On the strategy, what I did not understand was why not prolong Massa second stint with the M a little bit and let he come out with soft tyres, but it was probably due to Tyre conservation issues. The drivers at Williams have not been doing that great in my view tbh. Bottas has been doing better due to not getting involved in crashes and being more consistent, but you see in a race like this, where you need to fight your way through, react, make the tyres last etc.
How very top drivers are able to and Williams guys are not. Massa with the tyre conservation issues, Bottas, first Pit missing the first lap SC window losing several positions and was basically out of it even though still had 50 laps to go and that is usually the case with him, when things are going well, great, if he has adversities, races fades away. Massa is similar or worst crashing.
The point is and I don't want to be overly critical of the William drivers, I think they are still pretty good drivers, but they are just not top tier. I am seeing a lot of praise to Bottas rightly so in some regards, he still not even close to Hulkenberg's potential in my view.

Tbh, I don't know what do you expect from drivers when they get shitty stops and shitty tactics? You're being way too harsh to them.

Advertisement

#1320 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 131 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 22:11

That was just insanely bad luck which didn't only strike him, but the entire top-4 at that time. The safety car came out in that precise ~10s window where the leader has passed the pit entry, but it gets out in front of the leader and immediately bunches up the pack. 99% of the time the leader has a chance to pit before being picked up by the SC and can therefore drive to his delta on the in-lap and not lose out to the rest of the field as they did today.

But that makes Alonso's drive even more impressive, he was the last car to get caught out but managed to get into 2nd. Rosberg, Vettel, and Bottas all finished several positions below what they otherwise would've.

#1321 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,867 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 22:53

no idea what to say about that
every car out there ran a different strategy
the only good strategy was run by ricciardo
everybody else looked amateurish

into the summer break fighting for third in the constructors is awesome!!!

#1322 Wes350

Wes350

• 54 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 22:58

Tbh, I don't know what do you expect from drivers when they get shitty stops and shitty tactics? You're being way too harsh to them.

+1

Flyhigh should make the same points about Vettels performance.

Bottas got sent out of the points twice with backfiring strategy calls.

If he got the same calls as Ricciardo he would have been running up there with him.  Maybe a podium, certainly top 5. (The RB chassis is a bit better in Hungary than the Williams)

People seem awful eager to dismiss Bottas as a driver given his results in his second year in F1.

#1323 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 404 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 00:49

I know, I think today it was just a clear demonstration on what the very top drivers can do such as Hamilton, Riccardo and Alonso. How they are able to fight adversities and make tyres last, makes timely passes etc. While Williams drivers although great at times, need things to go pretty well in all areas to them in order to really shine. 

I don't dismiss Bottas, I just think when talking about potential top drivers Hulkenberg leads by a good margin, as he has shown exactly some of these characterisitc the top tiers do. 

#1324 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 809 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:45

I know, I think today it was just a clear demonstration on what the very top drivers can do such as Hamilton, Riccardo and Alonso. How they are able to fight adversities and make tyres last, makes timely passes etc. While Williams drivers although great at times, need things to go pretty well in all areas to them in order to really shine. 

I don't dismiss Bottas, I just think when talking about potential top drivers Hulkenberg leads by a good margin, as he has shown exactly some of these characterisitc the top tiers do. 

I think this is a little unfair, Ricciardo had a perfect strategy and "luck" with the first safety car, Massa had the same luck with the SC but the strange tyre strategy with 2 stops for the harder compounds, while Bottas had the same bad luck as Rosberg-Vettel-Alonso I think, but was the only one going for 2 stops with the harder compound like Massa...

Hamilton went for soft-hard, Alonso stayed on softs, Rosberg soft-soft; Hamilton and Ricciardo also had a faster car,

#1325 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 752 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:03

The problem was the harder compound - it was both slower and wearing faster. Although I was surprised that Bottas couldn't get past Vettel at the end.

#1326 bernardv

bernardv

• 123 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:13

The problem was the harder compound - it was both slower and wearing faster. Although I was surprised that Bottas couldn't get past Vettel at the end.

That + a slow circuit. Williams tends to shine on faster tracks this year. IMO both drivers did a good job, drove within the limits of what was possible, neither of them making any mistake. Saying this is a bad result and blaming the drivers is quite absurd.

#1327 Radion

Radion

• 717 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:23

Why exactly did they put on the harder compounds on both cars twice? Did they have any issues with the softer in practices?

#1328 djparky

djparky

• 164 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 20:26

in light of recent results not amazing...however I didn't really expect Williams to be as quick as Merc or RBR at Hungary. Bad luck with the SC caught out Bottas, the Williams has been rather harder on its tyres than other cars this year- having lost that track position I guess they thought it was worth a go doing something else, although it was perhaps not a great move hardly as terrible as the Maclaren call which cost JB and K-Mag dearly. At the end of the day WIlliams probbaly had the 4th quickest at the weekend and that showed in the race results- I don;t think they had the pace to win yesterday.. Compared to last year when they had 1 point from Hungary and nothing else- it's massicve progression- Spa, Monza, Korea, Austin should all be good Williams tracks so plenty more opportunities ahead

#1329 August

August

• 2,040 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 21:23

in light of recent results not amazing...however I didn't really expect Williams to be as quick as Merc or RBR at Hungary. Bad luck with the SC caught out Bottas, the Williams has been rather harder on its tyres than other cars this year- having lost that track position I guess they thought it was worth a go doing something else, although it was perhaps not a great move hardly as terrible as the Maclaren call which cost JB and K-Mag dearly. At the end of the day WIlliams probbaly had the 4th quickest at the weekend and that showed in the race results- I don;t think they had the pace to win yesterday.. Compared to last year when they had 1 point from Hungary and nothing else- it's massicve progression- Spa, Monza, Korea, Austin should all be good Williams tracks so plenty more opportunities ahead

Korea's already out.

#1330 Hans V

Hans V

• 335 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:43

I read at Autosport.com that Smedley defends the tyre choices and says the problem was that the car was too slow in cooler condition. He do of course have much, much more information, but after looking at the lap-times I still think they underestimated the speed difference between the soft and hard tyre, overestimated the durability of the hard and didn't quite take into account that the hard would require ten laps to come into its operating window (which BTW didn't last many laps). A serious cock-up and I wish they would admit a bad decision and learn from it instead of defending a bad one.

#1331 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 752 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:42

I think they should've seen from Massa's first stint on the hards, and saw that the rest of the field generally had the same issue, and put Massa on softs at the end. 

But the first stint on hards was a reasonable assumption IMO.

#1332 djparky

djparky

• 164 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 18:54

Korea's already out.

my bad.....I hadn't realised- thought it was India that had been dropped...oh well no great loss really...one less Tilke-drome

#1333 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,658 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 20:20

my bad.....I hadn't realised- thought it was India that had been dropped...oh well no great loss really...one less Tilke-drome

India has been dropped too.  ;)

#1334 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,346 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 23:16

Why exactly did they put on the harder compounds on both cars twice? Did they have any issues with the softer in practices?

I think it's only Massa who got the medium tyres twice, Bottas got soft tyres for his last stint.

#1335 polesetter1

polesetter1

• 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:10

You're beeing unfair. Was everything going well for Bottas in Australia or Silverstone? In both cases he had poor position at the start and had to overtake a lot. In Hungary he was very unlucky with the SC-timing and poor strategy. He was trying to preserve the tires which made him look slow. It turned out to be impossible and ha lost many positions. I think they've should let him stay on the track (which is so difficult in terms of overtaking) and he would've been ahead of Vettel, at least. But maybe there was a danger of hitting the cliff.

#1336 kaisellgren

kaisellgren

• 72 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:22

You're beeing unfair. Was everything going well for Bottas in Australia or Silverstone? In both cases he had poor position at the start and had to overtake a lot. In Hungary he was very unlucky with the SC-timing and poor strategy. He was trying to preserve the tires which made him look slow. It turned out to be impossible and ha lost many positions. I think they've should let him stay on the track (which is so difficult in terms of overtaking) and he would've been ahead of Vettel, at least. But maybe there was a danger of hitting the cliff.

Don't worry. Both of our boys will be listening to this at Spa:

Edited by kaisellgren, 30 July 2014 - 08:22.