- - - - -

Autosport Awards 2013

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:47

So we've enjoyed another Autosport Awards show.  Did the finalists match your votes?:

Gregor Grant Award (lifetime achievement):  Niki Lauda

International Racing Driver:  Sebastian Vettel

--regarding the donuts he advised what he was told by Jean Todt i(n the accent of Todt):  It's a stupid thing to do. It's not good because it was good for the sport but..."  (That trails off into rapturous applause and whistling. Hear hear!).  I guess we need donuts.

International Rally Driver:  Sebastian Ogier

-- Ogier felt it was impressive that he was able to reach the level he did in the first year - and it appears voters agreed.

Rookie of the Year:  Jules Bianchi

--Advised that he has re-signed for the team and is looking forward to next year.

British Competition Driver of the Year:  Lewis Hamilton  (unable to attend)

McLaren AUTOSPORT BRDC Award:  Matt Parry

Racing Car of the Year:  RB9

--Newey advises that the new regulations have set the staff in a state somewhere between "mild panic and crisis management"

EXTRA:  interviews with 2014 up and comers:

Kevin Magnussen, (FR3.5 champion) declares:  "Now being a McLaren driver is quite amazing"

Daniil Kvyat (GP3 champion) declares that F1 will be a great challenge "like pronouncing my surname."  As to how he'll do:  "Who Knows...one guy managed to win with Toro Rosso…"

Read more at:  http://live.autospor...tary.php/id/685

Edited by bourbon, 02 December 2013 - 03:51.

Advertisement

#2 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,256 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:55

I truly don't understand how Button got the 2012 British Driver, and now Lewis gets this in 2013. But happy for him!     

Also very happy for Bianchi and Ogier. I wish Brawn got the lifetime achievement too, but there's still plenty of time for that. 

#3 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:22

Hamilton wasn't able to attend in person, but he thanked the voters via satellite (just to be clear).

#4 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:34

I think the awards this year were warranted with an F1 bias as usual. Not that I watch that many other series but rookie of the year could have gone to someone else as it's difficult to evaluate how well Bianchi actually did this year.

As a side note, the 2012 awards were ridiculous.

Button - British driver of the year

Vettel - International driver of the year

I think it's clear Hamilton and Alonso should have won these hands down. Alonso's season was one Suzuka collision from being perfect and don't get me started on Button's season.

#5 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:59

There is no accounting for fan votes.  Why should Hamilton win it over the 2013 WEC and Le Mans winner McNish? 

#6 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:35

There is no accounting for fan votes.  Why should Hamilton win it over the 2013 WEC and Le Mans winner McNish? 

Precisely. I kinda expected the Neweymobile to win again in front of the R18, but as for the British Competition Driver award... a FIA-sanctioned World Championship title and a third win in arguably the biggest race in motorsport, against one win in F1? Should have been a no-brainer for me to give the award to McNish IMHO.

#7 ngwe23

ngwe23

• 32 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:47

I stopped taking these seriously when Button won "British driver of the year" last year. I mean...really? :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  

#8 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:21

I truly don't understand how Button got the 2012 British Driver, and now Lewis gets this in 2013. But happy for him!     

I remember being quite shocked in 2012 when Button got that award. Were they watching the same season I did? Lewis toatlly out-performed Button in 2012 and it was only reliability issues that made it less of a white wash on paper IMO. I think in 2013 Hamilton can be very happy with his season, he certainly drove well, but it was little steps really when you see what could potentailly be achieved. Not sure the British driver award means an awful lot. :)

#9 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:21

For as long as they remain posted, here are the YouTube Videos of:

Seb impersonating Todt:

https://www.youtube....h?v=pswb-7YkTuY

Seb impersonating Helmet Marko:  (Swearing in this one)

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Edited by bourbon, 02 December 2013 - 08:34.

#10 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:27

I'm a Hamilton fan and think McNish should have got it. Lewis has had a good year, but Alan has done better in his field IMO.

I suppose these awards are just a bit of fun really. There's no real status attached to it is there? These guys get their awards for what they do on track by the official means. This just seems like a get together and a few drinks post season and a magazine filler. No offence to Autosport. :)

#11 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:29

I agree that McNish should have won the British driver award.  But then again JB won it last year, in front of Rob Huff, the WTCC champion and Hamilton, who had a far better F1 season than he did.  So good luck in trying to find any sense in the voting.

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:35

Thanks for the vids bourbon..

Was looking for those.

The guy needs a late night talk show.

:clap:

Jp

#13 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:08

Lol!Off track Seb is just a cartoon! :rotfl:

#14 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:10

I dont get the Hamilton vote though,he has had a good season by any means,but best Brit driver?How rubbish have the others been?

#15 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:13

Seb impersonating Todt:

Good stuff.  :rotfl:

#16 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:31

Because nobody watches sportscars? Outside of Le Mans, that is, which they seem to have forgotten by the time awards come round...

#17 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:33

Seb impersonating Todt:

One good thing with Sebastian winning WDC every year - you get hilarious videos from his speech at Autosport Awards .... Great stuff once again! 

#18 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:39

I think the awards this year were warranted with an F1 bias as usual. Not that I watch that many other series but rookie of the year could have gone to someone else as it's difficult to evaluate how well Bianchi actually did this year.

I think it's clear Hamilton and Alonso should have won these hands down. Alonso's season was one Suzuka collision from being perfect and don't get me started on Button's season.

Indeed, the way Alonso blew Massa away in the last few races was especially impressive; the massive gap between him and the Brazillian in those critical races was evidence of just how far beyond the car's limits he was driving. :up:

#19 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 379 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:48

Indeed, the way Alonso blew Massa away in the last few races was especially impressive; the massive gap between him and the Brazillian in those critical races was evidence of just how far beyond the car's limits he was driving. :up:

And Webber was beating Seb halfway trough 2012, so what?

Advertisement

#20 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,706 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:20

A thread about the Autosport Awards of 2013 is NOT going to turn into a discussion of the F1 2012 season. Move on, please.

#21 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 611 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:32

Pretty much agree, good choice this year, the 2012 awards were a joke (no Alonso and Hamilton).

#22 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:43

As a personal thing, I still wait for the year when Racing Car of the Year is once again won by a LMP-style car, last time that happened was the Bentley Speed 8 back in '03. It's probably overdue for something other than a F1 car to win that award.

However... if the F1 cars of 2014 are as uninspiring as some people fear they may be, and the Audi-Toyota-Porsche trifecta in LMP1 puts on a great show and fantastic racing and technology showcase during 2014... I'm hopeful. :)

#23 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:18

Seb impersonating Todt:

Shows yet again that Vettel has no personality at all..

/heavy irony

#24 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:12

Shows yet again that Vettel has no personality at all..

/heavy irony

I am sure you are joking here of course. :)

I wish Kimi showed the type of personality Vettel shows so often. I think most drivers have a laugh in front of the camera at certain points in the season and Vettel is a driver that stands out as liking a laugh.

#25 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,140 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:28

As a personal thing, I still wait for the year when Racing Car of the Year is once again won by a LMP-style car, last time that happened was the Bentley Speed 8 back in '03. It's probably overdue for something other than a F1 car to win that award.

However... if the F1 cars of 2014 are as uninspiring as some people fear they may be, and the Audi-Toyota-Porsche trifecta in LMP1 puts on a great show and fantastic racing and technology showcase during 2014... I'm hopeful. :)

It's highly unlikely  - it would need a 'British' Le Mans win.......

The vast majority of Autosport voters only know about F1 - the results speak for themselves.....

#26 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 13:52

Could not agree more with the 2012 awards.

Hamilton beat Jenson in the WDC and also undeniably suffered a massive bulk of the Mclarens reliability + pit stop problems. I STILL cannot get my head around the logic behind the decision.

Mind you, the international driver is a bit debatable because although most people will say Alonso, they were not in the same car like Lewis and Jenson were which is why the 2012 British Driver award was a farcical decision.

#27 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 14:39

Well I think they gave those awards to Vettel and Button because they wanted to attend the awards live, while Alonso and Hamilton didn't. I don't really see any other reason.

This year's awards are ok.

Edited by BorkoF2012, 02 December 2013 - 14:40.

#28 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 15:03

This site, magazine and forum are all 99% devoted to that spec series called F1, as sad as it is... it would be naive to think that someone else would have a chance

I pretty much knew the results (and candidates they chose) before reading, same crap as it has been for years.

Edited by SonnyViceR, 02 December 2013 - 15:07.

#29 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 15:36

Sportscar racing must have changed a lot since I last watched it, if they've given up their rulebook entirely. Because any series that has tech regs is 'spec'. Spec usually means a specific kind of racing, of which F1 does not qualify.

I'd like to see more acknowledgement and respect of other forms of racing but let's not pretend sportscar racing is anywhere near the level of F1. McNish getting Brit driver of the year would be more of a mockery than Hamilton. 

#30 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:02

McNish getting Brit driver of the year would be more of a mockery than Hamilton. 

Whatever you say.

Also

F1

spec tires

spec fuel

near spec engines + spec ECU

open chassis but sort of limited

soon to be spec race strategy (mandatory pit window)

No testing unless officially F1 mandated

LMP1 (as an example)

Open tire

Open fuel

Open engine

Open chassis

Open strategy

Free testing

etc

Edited by SonnyViceR, 02 December 2013 - 16:15.

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:11

McNish didn't do anything noteworthy this year, as far as his normal career goes. Yeah he's finally a 'World Champion' but that was mainly a change in status of the international sportscar championship. It's like getting excited if a Brit won WTCC. So I don't see why this year is so super spectacular. And while Toyota put up a good fight, a four car battle is a pretty weak race. 

Sportscars can and should contend for Racecar of the year when they're something new. So the first diesel audi, the E-Tron, the Toyota Hybrid, etc. But now that these things have been around for a few years they'll struggle to compete for an award against something as dominant as this year's Red Bull. That was a ridiculously good car. Even more so considering how spec F1 is...

#32 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:27

McNish didn't do anything noteworthy this year, as far as his normal career goes. Yeah he's finally a 'World Champion' but that was mainly a change in status of the international sportscar championship. It's like getting excited if a Brit won WTCC. So I don't see why this year is so super spectacular. And while Toyota put up a good fight, a four car battle is a pretty weak race. 

Sportscars can and should contend for Racecar of the year when they're something new. So the first diesel audi, the E-Tron, the Toyota Hybrid, etc. But now that these things have been around for a few years they'll struggle to compete for an award against something as dominant as this year's Red Bull. That was a ridiculously good car. Even more so considering how spec F1 is...

This logic makes no sense. Sportscar can only be a contender when it's something completely new technology? Why? So the rusty old Audi R8, arguably one of the best racing cars ever shouldn't have been a candidate in the mid-2000s when it was still winning?

As for Mcnish thing yes I agree that winning the (as I've said many times - not very glamorous) WEC world championship isn't so big of a deal, but winning third Le Mans is. What exactly did someone like Hamilton do better this year?

And if you've got a 24 hour race fought in dry and wet (something you cannot see in F1) going through constant traffic against four other factory cars, how is that so much weaker than Red Bull going against those 6-8 cars that have budgets that match theirs in F1?

#33 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:31

Hamilton switched teams in a move that most people didn't think was going to work. Sure it turned out to be a damn good car this year and that's why he won, but based on pre-season expectations he did way better than was expected. So it was natural he was going to get a lot of attention this year. He was the only British driver to do anything in F1 this year, Franchitti was a non-factor in Indycar(though arguably should have got a sympathy award for retiring) and McNish won Le Mans in an Audi. The latter doesn't get people excited anymore. 

Le Mans is great and all but let's not pretend it's on the same level as F1. It's just not. 

And wouldn't your Red Bull criticism apply to Audi? Even Toyota doesn't spend at their level. 

#34 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:43

Hamilton switched teams in a move that most people didn't think was going to work. Sure it turned out to be a damn good car this year and that's why he won, but based on pre-season expectations he did way better than was expected. So it was natural he was going to get a lot of attention this year. He was the only British driver to do anything in F1 this year, Franchitti was a non-factor in Indycar(though arguably should have got a sympathy award for retiring) and McNish won Le Mans in an Audi. The latter doesn't get people excited anymore. 

Le Mans is great and all but let's not pretend it's on the same level as F1. It's just not. 

And wouldn't your Red Bull criticism apply to Audi? Even Toyota doesn't spend at their level. 

So Hamilton gets the award as he

A) Is more famous person

B) Is racing in a series that is followed by more

C) Switched teams

D) Did better than pre season testing showed

Umm okay.

Wholeheartedly disagree with you on F1 - LM and there is nothing that you say that can turn me on that.

Regarding the Audi vs Toyota budget/resources/commitment gap, yes it is too big (I've constantly moaned about it) but smaller than the separation between the top teams and midfield in F1

Edited by SonnyViceR, 02 December 2013 - 16:43.

#35 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:46

In real dollars sure, but as a % of budget?

I've watched sportscar racing and I've also seen it from the business side. It's neither particularly healthy(but that's not new or even a criticism) and it's not at the level of F1. But nothing is.

It's a nice place to have a career if you can't do Indycar or DTM, and hitching your wagon to a manufacturer is always the best job security. But it's just not F1.

And Autosport already give overly-warranted promotion to the 24hours and McNish in particular so if he still can't win a fan award at some point you just have to accept people were unconvinced. 

#36 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:47

Said it before, but I'll say it again: I think they should split F1 and every other form of circuit racing.

Lewis Hamilton, British competition of the driver? Really? Not World Champion, Allan McNish? Wrong, but sadly predictable. :down:

#37 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:53

It's a nice place to have a career if you can't do Indycar or DTM, and hitching your wagon to a manufacturer is always the best job security. But it's just not F1.

You are saying that as if F1 is the ultimate fantasy destination of every race car driver and car manufacturer in the world. It's not. Particularly for makes.

Who wants to go to DTM by the way? It's the ultimate graveyard for most people

#38 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:59

It pretty much is but for few exceptions. If it was more affordable there'd be even more manufacturers but for a few abstainers. If it was more affordable most of them would keep their existing sportscar programs going too because they accomplish different goals.

DTM has become the second choice for a lot of single seater guys. They get good rides and a manufacturer tie in. It's as much a 'graveyard' as any other series. Because if you didn't get to F1 you're not going to F1. Though a lot of the guys taking Merc DTM deals are hoping it could lead to an F1 tie-in .

I'm not a Series Loyalist. I try to view them neutrally and often times that means very critically. 

#39 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 17:00

Whatever you say.

Also

F1

spec tires

spec fuel

near spec engines + spec ECU

open chassis but sort of limited

soon to be spec race strategy (mandatory pit window)

No testing unless officially F1 mandated

LMP1 (as an example)

Open tire

Open fuel

Open engine

Open chassis

Open strategy

Free testing

etc

While i agree about Hamilton - i thought that was an utterly unremarkable season for him - i don't see the point in pitching F1 regulations against those of LMP1. Even less so when you're just ending up slapping 'spec' stickers on anything F1 while labeling the LMP regulations as 'open'. Though, on second thought, the fender holes...

Advertisement

#40 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 17:07

Said it before, but I'll say it again: I think they should split F1 and every other form of circuit racing.

Lewis Hamilton, British competition of the driver? Really? Not World Champion, Allan McNish? Wrong, but sadly predictable. :down:

He was supposed to have won it last year. So he was kind of owed it tbh. I still dont know why Jenson won it last year. Just was farcical.

#41 kimister

kimister

• 2,979 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 17:14

Seb impersonating Todt:

Those are great  :rotfl: Vettel  :up:  :up:

#42 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 1,794 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 17:16

Agree with a lot of people on here, i gave up with these silly awards when Jenson won 2012 British driver of the year which was shocking, he was all over the show for large parts of the season and only got close to Lewis after Mclaren decided to go to sleep on his pitstops and give him a unrealiable car.

PS Max Chilton should of won International racing driver of the year award

#43 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 17:30

While i agree about Hamilton - i thought that was an utterly unremarkable season for him - i don't see the point in pitching F1 regulations against those of LMP1. Even less so when you're just ending up slapping 'spec' stickers on anything F1 while labeling the LMP regulations as 'open'. Though, on second thought, the fender holes...

Can you prove that the things I listed are not open? I mean of course there are things like restrictors and stuff but IN COMPARISON it is pretty open

Open tire - free (atm in P1 the popular choice is Michelin for entrants but you could have Dunlops or anything if you wanted)

Open fuel - diesel, petrol, isobutanol

Open engine - no maximum cubic capacity as of 2014, no spec ECU, far more diversity

Open chassis - of course there are regulations in place since they are prototypes but it is more open, both under the skin and on top. can be self-built or customer car. used to be coupe or open top (not in P1 anymore, but in P2 yes). the hybrid solutions - if you run them - are more advanced too.

Open strategy - no mandatory tyre compound crap, no mandatory pit stop windows, no blue flag forcing, not fuel restricted, etc

Free testing - NO LIMITS

among others

Edited by SonnyViceR, 02 December 2013 - 18:06.

#44 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 18:02

I'm not a Series Loyalist. I try to view them neutrally and often times that means very critically. 

You may see yourself as that, but from outsiders view you come off as extremely biased towards F1, JUST AS I DO towards sportscars. We both make good arguments as well as quickly-thought excuses to defend our pets, but in the end it's pointless. It's like a meeting of hockey fan and football fan

#45 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 18:05

But I'm a racing fan, not a Formula 1 fan. There was a time I liked sportscar racing, but not so much anymore. Likewise I think MotoGP has fallen quite a bit. I don't ever give F1 a pass just because it's F1. 

#46 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,748 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 18:08

That Peugeot is NOT a rally car....

#47 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 18:22

But I'm a racing fan, not a Formula 1 fan. There was a time I liked sportscar racing, but not so much anymore. Likewise I think MotoGP has fallen quite a bit. I don't ever give F1 a pass just because it's F1. 

Well that's not the picture I've painted of you during the last couple of years but I suppose I'm just blind as I'm ignorant of the apparent vast superiority of F1 compared to sportscars in most matters :)

In all seriousness I've met other people too that have claimed to have total objectivity to motor racing, but in the end you can still recognize loyalties under the skin.

Edited by SonnyViceR, 02 December 2013 - 18:22.

#48 michal2009b

michal2009b

• 86 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 18:29

Surprised that Button wasn't given any award. Why? Can someone explain it to me?

#49 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 18:32

In all seriousness I've met other people too that have claimed to have total objectivity to motor racing, but in the end you can still recognize loyalties under the skin.

I've been pretty consistent over the years. Very much the equal opportunity asshole.

#50 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 18:45

He was supposed to have won it last year. So he was kind of owed it tbh. I still dont know why Jenson won it last year. Just was farcical.

"Owed it" for winning one race, where other British drivers have achieved far more this year? To be honest, they may as well just rename it the "best of the two frontrunning British F1 drivers award."

Surprised that Button wasn't given any award. Why? Can someone explain it to me?

A better question would be to ask what has he done this year to warrant an award...