Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

Adrian Newey all for Fair Play or Devious Design Issue?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:39

Just read the article linked below, the naughty side of my brain wondered if you think that this really is about giving heavier drivers a break, or is it that Newey really wants the weight limit increased so that he can design a car with ballast where he wants it?  Plus they've already told Ricciardo that he needs to lose a few kilos...

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111713

Advertisement

#2 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:46

There's really nothing to discuss here. :lol:

#3 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:49

he probably wants to cheat

ps you should be more concerned about the 1 team blocking the weight limit increase rather than 1 of the 10 teams that support it, considering this is the first time there is an quite big penalty to not being a pint sized anorexic

#4 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:50

Devious Design Issue, of course.

#5 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:52

No.  RBR will already have surplus in comparison to most teams, including Mercedes (the purported detractors).   Tall drivers like Hulk and Button have it hard.

#6 vista

vista

• 1,352 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:54

Because, again, Red Bull claim that rules must change in the interest of fairness (again; using a better reason in arguing than the original one). Obviously, it is because the new powertrain is too heavy for his design. But he won't say that to the media. I fully expect the rules to be changed at some point giving recent Red Bull political successes. I am also surprised Horner hasn't said anything about it yet.

Edited by vista, 03 December 2013 - 16:55.

#7 syolase

syolase

• 225 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:57

Just read the article linked below, the naughty side of my brain wondered if you think that this really is about giving heavier drivers a break, or is it that Newey really wants the weight limit increased so that he can design a car with ballast where he wants it?  Plus they've already told Ricciardo that he needs to lose a few kilos...

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111713

I think its more interesting that Merc is the only team who voted no.

#8 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 17:23

... considering this is the first time there is an quite big penalty to not being a pint sized anorexic

The minimum weight of a car including the driver is a fairly recent addition to the rule books (1995).  Before then, a driver who was 15kg heavier would have a 15kg weight penalty.  Now there isn't a weight penalty, just a small handling penalty from a less than optimal COG. 

Edited by Frank Tuesday, 03 December 2013 - 17:33.

#9 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 17:24

I think its more interesting that Merc is the only team who voted no.

are we sure in that? even autosport is only putting it as "believed to be", no hard facts.

on the other hand, it was reported that on the brazil weekend, in a GPDA meeting (?) the drivers voted, and all bar Alonso and Massa was in for increasing the limit. why would the mercedes and the (then) ferrari drivers vote against their teams, while all the others voted the same as their teams?

#10 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 17:51

The answer is Danica.
Jp

#11 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:08

DampMongoose has it: think more in terms of ballast and the freedom to move it around the chassis depending upon track and setup.....the more kilos between the regulated weight limit and their car's wet weight will provide a bigger advantage in shifting that mass about.  Which can be very helpful when trying to sync center of aero pressure and center of CG.

And of course their drivers health and competitive energy over the course of a race....

Edited by JSDSKI, 03 December 2013 - 18:10.

#12 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:10

The answer is Danica.
Jp

Don't you mean Pedrosa?

#13 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:32

Obviously the latter. That said, Newey is among the nicest guys in motorsport. It is just his way of saying the car weight needs to be increased, that's all. ;)

#14 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:36

Same difference Atrelu

Jp

#15 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:41

Is Newey worried because he thinks the current weight regulation will negatively affect Red Bull? Perhaps, but he is by no means the first to raise this issue, and apparently all but one of the other teams share his concern. :up:

That said, I don't know how feasible or fair it is to change the rules at this late date.

#16 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:52

This issue was raised by other team bosses earlier this year, yet nobody seems to talk **** about them.

#17 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:55

This team sure isn't shy about whining when things don't go there way. They were happy to be the one team not to agree to the RRA agreement but now they they could be faced with a disadvantage, everyone is supposed to bend the rules their way?? :rolleyes: The arrogance of this team.

#18 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:55

For the sake of it, whatever Red Bull ask for, do the opposite. If they still win, just give up entirely and have Newey banned.

#19 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:10

Weight reduction is a big big chassis design target.

Why help RedBull, of all teams?

Advertisement

#20 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:17

I think it's too late to change maximum weight now.

#21 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:28

I think it's too late to change maximum minimum weight now.

It's still possible if teams agree unanimously. Technically no problem as teams will just have to run more ballast.

#22 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:41

I don't believe RB for a second. If they want something it is for an advantage. Daniel like Webber is a little too heavy. RB losing their advantage. The way RB campaigned for 'safe' tyres when they knew that their car chewed up the tyres and then got hard tyres and then dominated....it was all part of their plan.

#23 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:48

I don't believe RB for a second. If they want something it is for an advantage. Daniel like Webber is a little too heavy. RB losing their advantage. The way RB campaigned for 'safe' tyres when they knew that their car chewed up the tyres and then got hard tyres and then dominated....it was all part of their plan.

Was it part of their plan when the tires starting exploding at Silverstone?

#24 SebnandoKimilton

SebnandoKimilton

• 71 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:52

They aren't the first to say it, all teams bar 1 are in agreement, some reporting its Mercedes, some Ferrari. In my opinion they are the "bad guys" here, not Red Bull. 

Wasn't it earlier this year they voiced concerns over the tyre safety & people shrugged it off as "liars trying to get an advantage", then Silverstone happened. 

#25 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:54

What a load of crap you guys slagging Red Bull. And ill-informed crap at that. Weight distribution is mandated anyway, so it has nothing to do with ballast. Plus Red Bull are the most advanced team in terms of design and build, so it is highly unlikely that they can't make the weight limit themselves. But they might struggle if they had Button or Hulk on their team.

#26 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:08

What a load of crap you guys slagging Red Bull. And ill-informed crap at that. Weight distribution is mandated anyway, so it has nothing to do with ballast. Plus Red Bull are the most advanced team in terms of design and build, so it is highly unlikely that they can't make the weight limit themselves. But they might struggle if they had Button or Hulk on their team.

1) There remains some scope for weight distribution, within the fixed F/R distribution. 

2) Redbull do not design and build the powertrain, so they don't have much control over its weight.

#27 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:11

The scope is tiny. Slagging RBR is just sour grapes.

Other teams (bar one) are similarly concerned.

#28 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:17

The scope is tiny. Slagging RBR is just sour grapes.

Other teams (bar one) are similarly concerned.

Weight is clearly a performance differentiator. No question about it. 

F1 is also about designing structures as light as possible. Those who do well will not moan, others will.

It's the same with aerodynamics and engine power etc. etc.

#29 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:17

"Adrian Newey all for Fair Play or Devious Design Issue?" - DampMongoose

Either or statements, black-and-white thinking and false choice questions are logical fallacies: Wikipedia

This team sure isn't shy about whining when things don't go there way. They were happy to be the one team not to agree to the RRA agreement but now they they could be faced with a disadvantage, everyone is supposed to bend the rules their way?? :rolleyes: The arrogance of this team.

Every team lobbies to their benefit.  Why should Red Bull be any different?

For the sake of it, whatever Red Bull ask for, do the opposite. If they still win, just give up entirely and have Newey banned.

Nice!

Then Red Bull would have to start asking for the opposite of what they need.

#30 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:22

I hope the decision turns out to be whatever is most beneficial to Red Bull. :up:

#31 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 379 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:24

I hope the decision turns out to be whatever is most beneficial to Red Bull. :up:

I hope not.

#32 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:44

"Adrian Newey all for Fair Play or Devious Design Issue?" - DampMongoose

Either or statements, black-and-white thinking and false choice questions are logical fallacies: Wikipedia

Every team lobbies to their benefit.  Why should Red Bull be any different?

Nice!

Then Red Bull would have to start asking for the opposite of what they need.

Redbull have every right to lobby if they want. But that doesn't mean they should. Why have they only made these comments now? Why not when they read the rules changes or knew daniel would drive for them? Could it be that now that newey has had more hands on time with the new engine and chassis, he's realized that it can be packaged they way he wants, and now has the perfect excuse to try and get what he wants? Given Redbulls history of pushing their own agenda and their own interests only, it's hard to take this as a real genuine concern for driver fairness

#33 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:47

Again, Newey and RBR aren't the only ones pushing for this. So they aren't the bad guys here.

#34 Donka

Donka

• 853 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:01

The raise to 700 kilos is already agreed for 2015 and beyond, they're just asking for it to be in place for 2014 as well.  Seems logical.

#35 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:16

The raise to 700 kilos is already agreed for 2015 and beyond, they're just asking for it to be in place for 2014 as well.  Seems logical.

Is that official? I've only seen the rise to 690 from next year.

#36 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:18

The fact that Newey/Red Bull are so concerned over this, yet Mercedes says no is quite interesting.

#37 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:21

The fact that Newey/Red Bull are so concerned over this, yet Mercedes says no is quite interesting.

I'll ask the same as in post #9, why is this a fact?

#38 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:26

Simple physics. If you have the best aerodynic design, then making your competitors heavier it will only increase your advantage margin

#39 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:29

With Red Bull it's never fair play. 

Advertisement

#40 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:32

Redbull have every right to lobby if they want. But that doesn't mean they should. Why have they only made these comments now? Why not when they read the rules changes or knew daniel would drive for them? Could it be that now that newey has had more hands on time with the new engine and chassis, he's realized that it can be packaged they way he wants, and now has the perfect excuse to try and get what he wants? Given Redbulls history of pushing their own agenda and their own interests only, it's hard to take this as a real genuine concern for driver fairness

In my opinion, as long as Red Bull does not create safety issues, they have an obligation to lobby for their benefit.  Timing, as you have pointed out, is critical.  The more time Adrian spends with the RB10, the more he understands what it takes to build a winner.

#41 Donka

Donka

• 853 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:37

Is that official? I've only seen the rise to 690 from next year.

The article states so:

Efforts to bring forward a 10kg rise in the weight limit to 700kg, which has been agreed for 2015, have so far been thwarted by opposition from one team - believed to be Mercedes - because unanimous support is required to make the change now

#42 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:39

In my opinion, as long as Red Bull does not create safety issues, they have an obligation to lobby for their benefit.  Timing, as you have pointed out, is critical.  The more time Adrian spends with the RB10, the more he understands what it takes to build a winner.

So you would rather a team lobbied to get rules that suit their car rather than just getting on with it? Imagine if everyone played that game. What a sh#$ storm that would be. Please tell me you aren't serious.

#43 Mrluke

Mrluke

• 93 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 22:01

So you would rather a team lobbied to get rules that suit their car rather than just getting on with it? Imagine if everyone played that game. What a sh#$ storm that would be. Please tell me you aren't serious.

They do, They are, It is, please tell me you didnt just realise this..

#44 SebnandoKimilton

SebnandoKimilton

• 71 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 22:19

You realise that only one team has said no to this?

So going by what you have said 10 teams are lobbying for change & 1 team isn't. 

So by your logic everyone is playing "that game"

#45 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 22:24

Successful teams are intellectually deep enough to (simultaneously) deal with all aspects of the game.

#46 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 22:38

Was it part of their plan when the tires starting exploding at Silverstone?

Nope.

The tire issue just provided a solution to their problems earlier in the season... like how to control tire wear and aero flow over and around the tires as they were loaded.  They did what all competitors do when they see or feel a potential advantage.  They used it.

I suppose someone could start a thread for arguments about the seasons results if the 2013 tires did not have problems.  That might have been a more interesting season.

Edited by JSDSKI, 03 December 2013 - 22:43.

#47 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 22:53

My guess is McLaren will soon know the real reason redbull are asking, courtesy of Prodromou and Fallows. :)

#48 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 23:02

Wow, the season hasn't even started and there're already claims that Red Bull is cheating or trying to cheat! This has to be a new record  :lol:

Just to follow the trend: Vettel with traction control in Suzuka http://www.youtube.c...h?v=e3YyQ17TwtA  :p

#49 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,305 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 23:08

The FIA could just rule that driver + seat combined must weigh no less than 95kg (or suitably higher/ lower, as long as it allows for drivers of healthy weight and non dwarf stature), and a seat must have a centre of gravity no lower than x above its mounts.

But that would be too simple.

It's a bit like the minimum weight increase so teams could beef up the suspension after 94 - Does anyone think for a moment the extra weight went into sturdier components and not more optimum ballast placement?

#50 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 23:29

F1 cars are too heavy already, make the regulation 500Kg and lets bring back some material science and innovation to the Formula. The safety regs will protect the drivers.