- - - - -

F1 2011 better than F1 2012?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:36

I cannot get to enjoy the 2012 version on my PS3. Is it me or it is not just nearly as fun. Of course I am not saying the 2011 is great, but I am curious since I would assume that newer is better.

Yes, I know we are already at the 2013 version but it is not yet avail. In the US.

Advertisement

#2 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:14

2013 is better than both, it's been out since October at least.

#3 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:20

Yeah 2013>2011>2012.

Haven't played 10 in so long I don't know where it fits in.

#4 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:26

ok thx.  Good to hear.

2013 is not out in the US.  I think the downloadable version might be but not the regular disc.  Should be in the stores any days now though.

#5 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:16

No thanks, 2011 was full of bugs and the handling was obnoxiously slippery, not to mention that the AI were useless in wheel to wheel action. In fact, I probably enjoyed 2010 more than 2011. 2012 was good, but the cars were too easy to drive. 2013 is by far the best game yet.

In my opinion;

2013 > 2012 > 2010 > 2011

#6 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 21:23

interesting, may be I have to give 2012 a more serious try.  I have had it forever, every once in a while I give it a shot and find the cars undrivable, just so hard to make the corners.  I guess it is different enough from 2011 one needs to adapt.  Anyhow, looking forward to trying 2013 whenever it is that I can put my hands on it.

#7 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,303 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 14:48

I dont think its that simple. Some people like it, some people like me loathe at and have played it for a few days and never again.

If you want a half baked simulation game then I can understand why you'd like the game. Its not a full on thing like you get on PC/Internet but its also trying to make you race like a proper, serious F1 driver and nurse your tyres.

If you want to pick up something and race, its not worth a penny of your money. You cannot race like that on this game.

Personally, I look at the cover and feel rage that I spent £40 or whatever it was on it. Complete and utter waste of money.

Personally, I am on back on 2012 and its my favourite version. Was it 2011 that suffered from 'canned spins' ie you run over a kerb and the car spins?

One of them had a 7 year career mode as opposed to the 5 didnt it?

Edited by Burtros, 04 December 2013 - 14:50.

#8 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 15:36

yes, I think I have read comments as bad as yours on F1 2013 and clearly, as you say, it is not that simple.

As far as my experience goes, fairly limited as I have picked up these games when they came out and really playing only recently, I have played mostly 2011.  There is no issue with running over kerbs, but yes, at times, the car does spin at certain angles/speed which I felt was fairly "realistic" because I felt I had just not approached it correctly.  Overall though, no doubt that in my view the driving experience is poor in 2011, as always;  in fact I think, I seem to remember having had better experience with much older games.  On my ps3 such "driving experience" is far superior for me in GT 5.

As to 2012, I just cannot get my steering to work well, I have tried many different settings on my wheel, but still cannot get corners right, which is a bit strange considering I have no issues whatsoever with 2011.

It looks like all seem to agree the best experience is with PCs (iRacing, rFactor I believe they are called ….) and I am very curious but I do not have a PC and anyway would find it a bit hard to set up wheels and pedals and things on my desk.

May be I will wait a bit on 2013

Edited by caccamolle, 04 December 2013 - 15:37.

#9 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 23:58

Personally, I am on back on 2012 and its my favourite version. Was it 2011 that suffered from 'canned spins' ie you run over a kerb and the car spins?

Should be 2010. And you could just apply the brakes and it would readjust you perfectly. Weird stuff.

Having played 2010, 2011 and 2012, I had most fun with 2010. It has it's weird flaws by being incomplete (like the already mentioned spins, incomplete rain model, etc.) but the 'physics' of it was the one which was most suitable for me, even though they had on some tracks way too high speeds than in reality and braking was just ridicoulus. However the kind of a 'twitchy' rear from 2011 didn't suit me at all and I just couldn't set up my wheel properly for it.

the biggest flaws in 2011 and 2012 were that they had a broken set up system. In 2011 you could have a certain spring setting which made you around 7 secs faster on every circuit without chewing up your tyres. In 2012 it was the same with wings. 2010 had somewhat a good balance there that you could have a certain setup which suits you and only you or suits certain strategy and all. I had great fun trying things out and test basically.

I bought 2010 and 2011 and regret 2011 really, 2012 was luckily a gift.

EDIT: Long story short. I won't buy any codemasters game again. Me and some mates had a league which was actually pretty good but eventually died just due to the game being buggy. Not to mention how bad it was on Gfwl. They had lots of promises which they couldn't really fulfill at the end. Not to mention that they rarely put out bugfixes and updates. I'm looking forward to project C.A.R.S.

Edited by ElDictatore, 07 January 2014 - 00:03.

#10 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:42

There was something about the graphics model of F1 2011 which caused the entire game to come off as incredibly fake. The AI, when turning into a corner, don't even look as if they are turning, it appeared as if they were merely floating in that direction.

#11 landroni

landroni

• 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:44

I cannot get to enjoy the 2012 version on my PS3. Is it me or it is not just nearly as fun. Of course I am not saying the 2011 is great, but I am curious since I would assume that newer is better.

Newer is not always better; from bitter experience, a new iteration can be a substantial and worsened version of a product (think: McLaren MP4-27 vs MP4-28). Clearly opinions on the original question differ, but as far as I go:  

2011 > 2010 > 2012

I have no opinion on 2013, as I never tried it.

Some of my subjective impressions of each version (as tried out on an Xbox 360):

2010: rather choppy. It clearly is their first iteration. There are inexcusable bugs (20sec pitstops), and the driving physics are half-baked, as are the graphics. 

2011: the most simulator-like version. I agree with the other commentators that the car is very slippery, but---without any actual engineering or real F1 knowledge---I suspect that this is related to the nature of genuine F1 cars: if you remove all driver aids (namely traction control) and you have no experience in handling a racing car, then pressing even a little bit the accelerator would quite likely make you end up in the nearest wall. I expect that these cars are so aggressive and capricious, that they're not intended for common mortals to drive. And quite possibly the F1 2011 cars---even slippery as they are---are just a mild, consumer-friendly version of the real thing. 

2012: way too arcade. The car's handling just feels so artificial ("canned responses to player input"). This iteration is clearly intended to broaden the mass-market appeal of the game, to the detriment of the hardcore niche looking for a simulation. In short, your mom can play F1 2012, too. 

To sum up, if you disable traction control in F1 2011, you probably get the most realistic experience of an F1 car on a console. It takes time and effort to get used to the handling of such a car (especially if you don't have a wheel and just use a controller), but it's rewarding when you learn to master it.

Lastly, I found this discussion on a review of F1 2012 interesting to follow (and related to your question). I especially agree with a comment by 'lin1876': "If you haven’t played F1 2011 and just want to be Lewis Hamilton for an hour, then yes, 4/5 seems fair [for F1 2012]. If, however, you want a top notch simulation, then F1 2011 is your best bet. It’ll be dirt cheap now, and is arguably the better game overall."

#12 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,961 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:02

Top Notch simulation? The argument pretty much flew out of the window there.

#13 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 20:11

I’ve dusted off the PS3 and gone back over all of these the last few days just because....got some time on my hands.

I’m really surprised people don’t rate 2012 because for me it’s the best version by some way. The handling is so much better than 2011. The cars feel different from each other, push too hard and you can lose the rear end, the handling gets the right balance between responsive and precision - the AI results even, are less predictable than in the others. 2011 has horrible handling, like armfuls of oversteer and ultra-responsive, and 2013, while not as bad, goes back down that route somewhat. 2010 and 2012 are the most nicely balanced in terms of handling.

I know nobody will care now given that these are like almost a decade old, by the way. I’m typing this for my own satisfaction. Next, I’m going to go back over every Milestone MotoGP game and then I’m going to count all the plug sockets in my house and document my findings.

Edited by messy, 19 April 2020 - 20:11.