* * * * * 1 votes

BTCC 2014

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#1 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 15:10

It's going to be another great season of bumper cars the BTCC, and the field is beginning to take shape with the news that Marc Hynes will drive a third MG.  :up:

Calendar:

29-30 March: Brands Hatch Indy

19-20 April: Donington Park

3-4 May: Thruxton

7-8 June: Oulton Park

28-29 June: Croft

2-3 August: Snetterton

23-24 August: Knockhill

6-7 September: Rockingham

27-28 September: Silverstone

11-12 October: Brands Hatch Grand Prix

Field:

Aiden Moffat Racing Chevy: Aiden Moffat
AmD Tuning Ford: Dave Newsham
BTC Racing Chevy: Chris Stockton.
Handy Motorsport Toyota: Simon Belcher
Honda Yuasa Racing: Matt Neal / Gordon Shedden
Houseman Toyota: Lea Wood
Motorbase Ford: Fabrizio Giovanardi / Jack Clarke / Mat Jackson
Pirtek Racing Honda: Andrew Jordan / Martin Depper
Rob Austin Audi: Rob Austin / Hunter Abbott
Rotek Racing Audi: Robb Holland / TBA
Speedworks Toyota: Tom Ingram
Team BMR Vauxhall: Jack Goff / Warren Scott
Team BMR VW: Alain Menu / Aron Smith
Triple Eight MG: Jason Plato / Sam Tordoff / Marc Hynes
United Autosports Toyota: James Cole / Glynn Geddie
Welch Motorsport Proton: Dan Welch / Ollie Jackson
WIX Racing Mercedes: Adam Morgan
WSR BMW: Rob Collard / Nick Foster / Colin Turkington
ES Rhino Racing: TBA

News:

According to this, all of the grid spots (32) for 2014 have been filled using the new licence system purely by giving them to the 2013 teams.  However, the licences can be leased or gifted to another party, as Dynojet has done for United Autosports.  There are also three additional entries on the reserve list.  The entry list itself will be published at the BTCC Media Day in March.

Edited by Disgrace, 18 March 2014 - 13:58.

Advertisement

#2 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,266 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 16:55

Im going to try and get to the Thruxton one in May I think. Honda are apparently running a Civic estate this year which will give us all good memories of the nutter Volvos in 94. Ive always loved the BTCC, even if its a shadow of what it once was. Its left me with an unhealthy affection for Vauxhall Cavaliers, although I have just branched out a bit and bought an Astra GTE 16v like the one John Cleland won the 1989 title with.

Are the teams not in bold unconfirmed or something? Would be a shame to see the fords disappear.

#3 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 19:33

We can assume that they have entries and plans, but no official word as yet (apart from a tweet from AmD).  In fact, WSR tested WTCC driver (and former works Chevrolet BTCC driver) Alex MacDowall at Silverstone today.

#4 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 20:15

MG KX Momentum: Jason Plato / TBA

TBA? Not Sam Tordoff?  He is the best rookie in BTCC for ages, I hope he is back for 2014, unless he is moving on to greater things?

#5 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 20:39

He is quite possibly moving on - I have noticed that the news sources have been careful to state that his MG drive is unconfirmed, and I think he could be replaced by another KX Akademy driver (Tom Ingram would be a good bet IMO), much like the second works SEAT seat in the mid-2000s was occupied by the reigning Cupra Cup champion for several seasons before the team opted to run Darren Turner on a permanent basis.  I shouldn't imagine that he'll have any difficulty in finding another seat in the BTCC if he does leave.

#6 DS27

DS27

• 4,681 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 22:12

So fed up with the Neal / Shedden line-up at Honda.

#7 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:21

Going to try and go to both Brands events, Thruxton and possibly Silverstone. Donington's a bit far for me and I'll be at Silverstone that weekend for the WEC event.

This licence system is interesting, as to me it shows that the BTCC is now strong enough to dictate that the grid be filled consistently at each round, and is possibly in a stronger place than at any time since the SuperTouring days. An entirely NGTC grid is brilliant as well as it ensures a certain level of competitiveness throughout the grid.

Also, estates in touring cars rule.

Edited by DanardiF1, 05 December 2013 - 08:22.

#8 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:40

MG KX Momentum: Jason Plato / TBA

TBA? Not Sam Tordoff?  He is the best rookie in BTCC for ages, I hope he is back for 2014, unless he is moving on to greater things?

He is quite possibly moving on - I have noticed that the news sources have been careful to state that his MG drive is unconfirmed, and I think he could be replaced by another KX Akademy driver (Tom Ingram would be a good bet IMO), much like the second works SEAT seat in the mid-2000s was occupied by the reigning Cupra Cup champion for several seasons before the team opted to run Darren Turner on a permanent basis.  I shouldn't imagine that he'll have any difficulty in finding another seat in the BTCC if he does leave.

Oh shame! Be nice to see if Sam could really push JP this year ;)

#9 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:04

Given it's branded itself as an acadamy, if Sam can move on to another high quality seat and they give a break to another driver, it fits in more with its stated aim than one long-term driver.

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:50

29-30 March: Brands Hatch Indy

19-20 April: Donington Park

3-4 May: Thruxton

7-8 June: Oulton Park

28-29 June: Croft

2-3 August: Snetterton

23-24 August: Knockhill

6-7 September: Rockingham

27-28 September: Silverstone

11-12 October: Brands Hatch Grand Prix

Time to start planning some leave. One of the June races sounds good, as I've not been to either of those circuits before.

#11 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 13:39

Time to start planning some leave. One of the June races sounds good, as I've not been to either of those circuits before.

Oulton is stunning when the weather is nice!

#12 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 13:42

I thought I'd read that teams had to field at least 2 cars. If that's the case how come the 3rd MG is a separate entry? 

#13 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 14:23

Oulton Park definitely and Croft likely for me.

#14 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 14:27

I thought I'd read that teams had to field at least 2 cars. If that's the case how come the 3rd MG is a separate entry? 

Because it's still entered by the same licence holder, that being Triple Eight.

#15 BT44/45

BT44/45

• 170 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 17:36

looking forward to see what marc hynes can do.

#16 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 17:44

ES Racing (which has yet to announce if it has an entry, but is presumably working on something) has secured sponsorship from infamous strip club chain Spearmint Rhino.  The team will henceforth be known as ES Rhino Racing.  I'm not making this up.

#17 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,266 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 22:53

Marc Hynes I remember well from 99 in F3 whilst following Button, good to see him racing again.

#18 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:56

Marc Hynes I remember well from 99 in F3 whilst following Button, good to see him racing again.

That was the first thing i remembered about him. I've now also just found out he is actually Head of Driver Development at Marussia. Thought he'd disappeared off the face of the planet, turns out he's been sitting under our noses all this time.

#19 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 13:12

AmD will make the switch to NGTC machinery with a Ford Focus.

Advertisement

#20 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,266 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 18:13

That was the first thing i remembered about him. I've now also just found out he is actually Head of Driver Development at Marussia. Thought he'd disappeared off the face of the planet, turns out he's been sitting under our noses all this time.

There was an article about him here on Autosport after it was announced where I read the same thing. He got to F1 in a roundabout fashion then!

#21 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 22:22

Edited by midgrid, 08 December 2013 - 22:23.

#22 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:58

What is it with the Chevy Cruze? Just because it was successful in S2000 form with works support it's made the indie set slaver over it... first Andy Neate made one to crash into his own wallet and now these guys are making a hatchback one? There are cooler cars out there to make exactly the same NGTC car underneath out of.

#23 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:17

What is it with the Chevy Cruze? Just because it was successful in S2000 form with works support it's made the indie set slaver over it... first Andy Neate made one to crash into his own wallet and now these guys are making a hatchback one? There are cooler cars out there to make exactly the same NGTC car underneath out of.

Dacia Logan for me.

So incredibly crap that it's cool........ and the panels would be cheap. 

#24 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 13:28

Because it's still entered by the same licence holder, that being Triple Eight.

ah right. Cheers

#25 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 18:30

Motorbase will expand to three full-time Ford Focuses in 2014, but no word on drivers just yet.

#26 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 00:35

So they're not sure on keeping Mat Jackson then?

#27 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 18:41

So they're not sure on keeping Mat Jackson then?

I can't see him leaving, but I imagine that Motorbase will want to announce all of its drivers at the same time, and will wait until it has deals with all three drivers.  I would expect Jackson and Smith to stay on, with Onslow-Cole, Michael Caine or perhaps Dan Cammish in the third car, unless it gets auctioned off.

Meanwhile, the identity of AmD's driver has been announced as Dave Newsham.

#28 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 13:35

Big shame to hear that Wix won't be sponsoring Rob Austin in 2014, I hope he finds someone else and can keep the momentum going

#29 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 21:14

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111824

Must say I'm even more tempted to do Oulton Park this year given that the full circuit will be used.

#30 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 23:11

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111824

Must say I'm even more tempted to do Oulton Park this year given that the full circuit will be used.

That's fantastic news. Britain's premier motorsport series, and indeed any series using the big boy cars, should not be piddling around on the smaller circuits if there are good longer configurations available. Now, if only the tiny Brands Hatch Indy circuit would disappear too and I'll be a happy chap :)

On a tangent, should Alan Gow choose to listen to me and we don't just use the full Brands Hatch track twice, what could we replace it with? There's obviously Silverstone, but the full GP track is a lot bigger than any other venue in use (not that I'm opposed, but the organisers might not want that), but there is also the Southern loop. There are longer circuits at Rockingham too if I recall, so that could be another option.

Anywhere different we would like to see the series go?

#31 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 23:19

Anglesey? Great little circuit, big enough for touring cars and would add a new locale to the calendar...

#32 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 23:21

Big shame to hear that Wix won't be sponsoring Rob Austin in 2014, I hope he finds someone else and can keep the momentum going

They're moving to Ciceley Racing as well... can't see how this is a good marketing move when Rob Austin's squad are probably the most popular on the grid, and sponsoring them can be nothing but good PR.

#33 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 13:22

Wix only wanted to pay £150k this year (half) for the same coverage and wanted right to veto other sponsors. No wonder they are off to another team. Cicely probably couldn't believe their luck either when a sponsor walked through the door offering that cash in these hard up times!  

#34 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 13:25

That's fantastic news. Britain's premier motorsport series, and indeed any series using the big boy cars, should not be piddling around on the smaller circuits if there are good longer configurations available. Now, if only the tiny Brands Hatch Indy circuit would disappear too and I'll be a happy chap :)

On a tangent, should Alan Gow choose to listen to me and we don't just use the full Brands Hatch track twice, what could we replace it with? There's obviously Silverstone, but the full GP track is a lot bigger than any other venue in use (not that I'm opposed, but the organisers might not want that), but there is also the Southern loop. There are longer circuits at Rockingham too if I recall, so that could be another option.

I'd say Anglesey is capable, and would be nice to bring Wales into the championship. Saying that, there's that new Welsh track being built as well which is destined to be used be BTCC. Would be nice to have Cadwell Park on the calendar as well but I don't think the track is suitable. They need to get rid of Silverstone national. The international circuit would be much better, but I guess it would mean the teams would have to pay more to use the new pitlane.

#35 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 654 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 13:56

Y'know I always liked the short configuration of Oulton (which bypassed the chicane nicely). It seemed a lot more fast and flowing.

Though, to be fair I may just be having fond memories of playing the first TOCA game when I was supposed to be studying...

For me, I'd like to see them bring back the full Donington circuit.

#36 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 14:11

Mallory!

Ha-ha, sorry...

Be nice to go back to Wales & Ireland. Is Kirkistown too small? I remember trying to find Pembrey once (before satnavs were around). Not easy!

#37 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 15:50

How about a return to Mondello Park. Wasn't the most popular track if i remember rightly. I think they should make it a truly British and Irish calendar with races in England, Wales, Scotland Northern Ireland and Ireland since we have representative drivers from each country.

#38 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 17:02

Wix only wanted to pay £150k this year (half) for the same coverage and wanted right to veto other sponsors. No wonder they are off to another team. Cicely probably couldn't believe their luck either when a sponsor walked through the door offering that cash in these hard up times!  

Ah I see. Thanks for the info... hopefully Rob can find something better instead then!

#39 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 17:29

How about a return to Mondello Park. Wasn't the most popular track if i remember rightly. I think they should make it a truly British and Irish calendar with races in England, Wales, Scotland Northern Ireland and Ireland since we have representative drivers from each country.

We do? Suppose if Turkington and Aron Smith return (hope they do!) both the North and the Republic are represented. Who's playing for Wales, though?

Advertisement

#40 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 18:43

Agree with adding Anglesey to the calendar. It would be suitable for touring cars and having a race in Wales would be a plus for the championship. Lovely location as well :)

I do like the idea of going across the British Isles. If there is somewhere suitable in Ireland, and expanding the calendar an extra round or two won't be cost prohibitive, then I'm all for it.

#41 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 19:45

We do? Suppose if Turkington and Aron Smith return (hope they do!) both the North and the Republic are represented. Who's playing for Wales, though?

My bad, I must have made up a Welsh driver. Could of sworn there was one.

#42 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 19:59

I quite like the Brands Indy configuration - its shortness leads to a very close field, and the difficulty in passing albeit combined with demanding corners that often produce errors usually provides entertaining racing. If there was only one round at Brands I would still go for the GP version, though.

#43 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 19:26

As the S2000 class has been discontinued for 2014, the Jack Sears Trophy will henceforth be awarded to the independent driver who gains the most places from his grid slot over the course of the season.  Dan Welch would have won it this season had it applied in this way.

#44 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 13:12

As the S2000 class has been discontinued for 2014, the Jack Sears Trophy will henceforth be awarded to the independent driver who gains the most places from his grid slot over the course of the season.  Dan Welch would have won it this season had it applied in this way.

Odd idea.  What's wrong with a simple points competition, either for positions overall, or for positions in the independents 'class'?  I can see possible contenders for this trophy deliberately qualifying last in order to gain more places than their rivals. 

#45 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 19:24

Sam Tordoff has confirmed that he will remain with MG for a second season.

Meanwhile, Andrew Jordan has joined the Red Bull Athlete programme.

#46 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 21:24

Sam Tordoff has confirmed that he will remain with MG for a second season.

Yay! Sam's back. :clap:

#47 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 18:58

As expected, there are several bits of news from Autosport International:

- Ollie Jackson will partner Dan Welch as he expands his operation to field two NGTC Protons.

- Rob Austin and Simon Belcher have unveiled their new car/livery combinations.

- Rotek Racing has confirmed a one-car entry for Robb Holland, who will race full-time this season.

- The historic Super Touring Trophy will support the championship at Oulton Park.

#48 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 19:56

Not sure why Rob is being sponsored by a missile, though the car does look rather nice now....

#49 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 21:28

- The historic Super Touring Trophy will support the championship at Oulton Park.

They have to show that on itv4 during the support race coverage! It will so amazing! I now want to go to oulton park more than anything ever!

#50 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:29

Oulton is looking more and more tempting.