* * * * * 1 votes

BTCC 2014

• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#501 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,677 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 18:11

Anglesey would look great on the TV, but that's another one that doesn't quite have the facilities required.

Advertisement

#502 froggy22

froggy22

• 796 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 18:50

Anglesey would look great on the TV, but that's another one that doesn't quite have the facilities required.

I'd love to see Anglesey on the calendar. the scenery would be beautiful in the summer. Shame they upgraded the layout without doing anything to the facilities.

#503 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,884 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 18:57

Pembrey?

I guess they never got the crowd to make it pay back when it was in the series?

Kirkistown & Anglesey too small or haven't the facilities I guess?

Edited by billm99uk, 18 August 2014 - 19:01.

#504 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,482 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:38

If anyone is pondering going to Knockhill, I have an extra two complimentary tickets for the weekend...

#505 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,254 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:58

Looks to me like Anglesey has a better pit and garage complex than Knockhill.

Edited by PayasYouRace, Yesterday, 07:11.

#506 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 613 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:25

I'd love a return to mondello park. :)
Also why is the calendar the same every year? I wish they would mix it up every now and then.

#507 BRG

BRG

• 11,482 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 19:16

If it ain't broken, why fix it?

#508 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,254 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:12

I'd love a return to mondello park. :)
Also why is the calendar the same every year? I wish they would mix it up every now and then.

I would like a bit more variety, but hey it works well. It's a good way to build and maintain a fanbase.

It would be nice if they didn't limit themselves to 10 rounds though. Easier to add an extra race without removing another.

#509 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,436 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:06

has the BTCC ever done rounds on the continent?

#510 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,254 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:21

has the BTCC ever done rounds on the continent?

A quick scan of the season on Wikipedia indicates no.

They didn't even leave England until 1973 when they went to Scotland. Wales was included in 1992 for the first time. 2001 was the first time they left Great Britain.

An international round or two might work, but I can't imagine there's much interest in the series outside the British Isles at the moment. Certainly would have worked in the Super Touring days.

[wish mode] I did once sketch out an airport-street circuit for a Gibraltar race. Keep it British but on the continent. [/wish mode]

Edited by PayasYouRace, Yesterday, 09:21.

#511 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,677 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:37

Looks to me like Anglesey has a better pit and garage complex than Knockhill.

I believe part of the problem is that it lacks the facilities to deal with spectators in any real number. Fine when it's track days and club meets, bit of an issue with the BTCC.

#512 F1matt

F1matt

• 104 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:43

Not sure what the BTCC could gain by racing on the continent, for a start the best BTCC races are always on short tracks, somewhere like Spa or the Nurburgring could be a bore fest and with the additional expenses for the team it would make the weekend a disaster, not sure what the crowds are like for the WTCC but the races I have seen are like the DTM an utter borefest where team orders rule the day, I get enough of that in F1. BTCC is like my dirty little secret......

#513 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,677 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:56

There was a Super Touring World Cup held during the mid-1990s in which the leading BTCC drivers competed, alongside their counterparts from around the world, but it was organised by the FIA.

#514 rf90

rf90

• 52 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:56

If it ain't broken, why fix it?

True.. although I'd rather they didn't use the Brands Indy circuit, and just use the GP configuration there.