IndyCar 2014 Official Thread

• Please log in to reply
540 replies to this topic

#501 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,263 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 15:04

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/115811

Hmmm. Without wishing to sound harsh, I'm inclined to suggest the problem lies with the driver rather than the team. Rahal has never proven himself, and right now he really is only there because of nepotism.

Harsh away there Muppetmad...Graham is teetering on 'waste of space' level like never before.

I hope Justin gets his Dick back.

Jp

Advertisement

#502 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,248 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 15:06

I think that's a clever way of saying the team just got smaller because they have a funding shortfall. You're not replacing the driver unless he has funding.

#503 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 15:21

Harsh away there Muppetmad...Graham is teetering on 'waste of space' level like never before.

I hope Justin gets his Dick back.

Jp

I forgot I was in an IndyCar thread rather than an F1 thread - I can actually express an opinion here without having to brace for the barrage of people telling me why I'm wrong  ;)

#504 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,943 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 15:34

GR had flashes of pace this year (Detroit 1 for instance) but a poor season overall. Strange thing is he blew Kimball away in '11 and '12 when they were teammates...

#505 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,042 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 00:50

This is Indycar, almost everyone has flashes of brilliance at some point during the season.  Drivers ranked 20th and below have 5 wins between them (OK, only one of them was full-time, but the other two were part-time due to their lack of versatility).  Not sucking during small portions of some races is not very impressive.

Dads should really not employ their children.  It's not fair to the people being employed whose job it is to make something out of those lucky sperms.

#506 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,872 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 00:54

Graham was also pretty impressive in his debut Champ Car season as an 18-year-old. Like Marco, he seems to have regressed rather than progressed over time.

#507 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,943 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:13

Graham was also pretty impressive in his debut Champ Car season as an 18-year-old. Like Marco, he seems to have regressed rather than progressed over time.

When he was driving for CGR and NHR he generally had experienced teammates.

#508 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:12

How are those strong GP2 drivers on a 2 mile oval?

Does it matter a lot/

How many of these are on next seasons sched.

#509 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:21

This is Indycar, almost everyone has flashes of brilliance at some point during the season.  

You had Carlos Huertas in mind maybe?

#510 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,042 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 13:37

You had Carlos Huertas in mind maybe?

He's the poster boy, yes.  To win a race and finish 20th in the standings takes some serious flashing.  But I just looked down the standings on Wiki, and realized that I remembered something impressive from everyone there except Briscoe and Saavedra.  When you think about it, we did have some very deep field this year, not a single true wanker among the lot.  Of course, you can also make an argument that the field was evenly shallow rather than deep, but I'd rather look at the bright side.

Edited by Dmitriy_Guller, 12 September 2014 - 13:39.

#511 Risil

Risil

• 13,894 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 15:39

Marshall Pruett always returns to the point that the DW12 is a car that's easy to drive within a second or two of the leader's pace. When a race has a lot of yellow and/or incident, that can be enough to propel the more "meh" drivers to the front of the field.

Then again there are people like Kimball who seem to live in the bottom half of the field but are capable of brilliant drives (no one handed him Mid-Ohio 2013) on occasion. I reckon when equipment is so equal, we've got to live with the fact that the best drivers aren't these gods who can drive off into the distance with their magic touch. Most of the time.  ;)

#512 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,943 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 16:18

Marshall Pruett always returns to the point that the DW12 is a car that's easy to drive within a second or two of the leader's pace. When a race has a lot of yellow and/or incident, that can be enough to propel the more "meh" drivers to the front of the field.

Huertas won with an illegal car (the fuel issue) so I wouldn't read into it too much. Remember how slow he was at St Pete? He was totally lost on the ovals too. More often than not, the better drivers distinguish themselves.

Edited by Prost1997T, 12 September 2014 - 16:19.

#513 Risil

Risil

• 13,894 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 16:21

Huertas won with an illegal car (the fuel issue) so I wouldn't read into it too much. Remember how slow he was at St Pete? He was totally lost on the ovals too. More often than not, the better drivers distinguish themselves.

No doubt, but the margin for things not nailing the setup or running into strategy trouble is thin these days. And it's a well-known fact that Carlos Huertas only won because of some kind of sympathetic magic produced by James Rodriguez. Ley lines connecting Houston with Rio de Janeiro.

I feel a bit disappointed by all four Colombians this year. But Montoya and Munoz are the ones I expect really good things from.

Edited by Risil, 12 September 2014 - 16:23.

#514 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,943 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 16:32

JPM was great on the ovals but mediocre to terrible virtually everywhere else (considering he's driving for Roger Penske). Or perhaps the competition is underrated. The same more or less applies to Munoz although he made more driver errors.

And it's a well-known fact that Carlos Huertas only won because of some kind of sympathetic magic produced by James Rodriguez. Ley lines connecting Houston with Rio de Janeiro.

We'll probably forget Huertas existed when Dale Coyne puts a different ride-buyer in the second car next year. He led 5 laps on an off-sequence pit strategy. His average start was 18th, he qualified on the back row 9 of 18 races.

Edited by Prost1997T, 12 September 2014 - 16:33.

#515 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,104 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 20:31

GR had flashes of pace this year (Detroit 1 for instance) but a poor season overall. Strange thing is he blew Kimball away in '11 and '12 when they were teammates...

I think he is a good driver. Just that Kid Rahal has never truly had the equipment. Ganassi Team 2 with him and Kimball where not the same team as the Target squad. 

#516 sopa

sopa

• 2,927 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 13:17

While people are discussing about the merits of drivers, I am struggling to understand one thing - why hasn't Pagenaud been snapped up by either Penske, Ganassi or Andretti by now?!

E: Somebody mentioned top teams have been too conservative with line-ups. Perhaps it has some truth. Still, Pagenaud has been racing in IndyCar for three years now, always been great especially on street circuits, and is still relatively young. Logic tells me top teams should have been running storm for him after his first IndyCar season already, but nothing has happened.

Edited by sopa, 13 September 2014 - 13:23.

#517 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,943 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 15:01

Pretty sure that Andretti wants to sign Pagenaud, it's common knowledge. Officially his contract with Schmidt Motorsports expires in October.

#518 stewie

stewie

• 453 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 15:03

Wasn't it something to do with him having a water tight contract at SSM? Anyway given he's a Honda man through and through, I can only see him going to Andretti.

#519 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,248 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 16:36

I'd love to see the financial gymnastics to pay for Pagenaud's ride when Hinchcliffe might be let go due to not enough money to run. And figure that one out within the context of the manufacturers not subsidising rides like Ye Olden Dayes*

*Though if you can run a Honda LMP2 at the same time, maybe you get overpaid there...

Advertisement

#520 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,943 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 17:25

I'd love to see the financial gymnastics to pay for Pagenaud's ride when Hinchcliffe might be let go due to not enough money to run.

The 5th AA car would be at the cost of the Indy Lights program. Besides, UFD are staying in Indycar...

#521 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,248 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 18:00

Indylights costs at most 1mil, and that was a UFD car(with some Mazda money I think). I don't see that suddenly paying for the extra car.

UFD may be staying in Indycar, but apparently not at full-rate. Otherwise i don't think Hinchcliffe would be at risk of losing his ride? As it is Car 4 is on uneven ground no matter who is in it, I'm baffled how they get to 5.

#522 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,943 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 19:31

Indylights costs at most 1mil, and that was a UFD car(with some Mazda money I think). I don't see that suddenly paying for the extra car.

UFD may be staying in Indycar, but apparently not at full-rate. Otherwise i don't think Hinchcliffe would be at risk of losing his ride? As it is Car 4 is on uneven ground no matter who is in it, I'm baffled how they get to 5.

Pagenaud and Hinchcliffe could swap seats. HPD reportedly wants Pagenaud at a better team.

#523 kapow

kapow

• 108 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 21:01

Any chance of next year's series lasting into Autumn?!

#524 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,043 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 22:08

Any chance of next year's series lasting into Autumn?!

Only if football becomes illegal in America or IndyCar grows some testicles. And I don't think that second option is likely at all.

#525 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,746 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 22:23

For the sake of an international forum, can you call it handegg?

#526 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,461 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 22:40

Which means?

#527 Option1

Option1

• 13,205 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 00:37

Does "No." work for you? 

Odd how the rest of the planet can cope with Rugby Union, Rugby League, Soccer, American Football, Australian Rules, and Gaelic Football all being called football except for this strange section of poms who can't muster the intellectual capacity to deal with the concept.

Neil

Edited by Option1, 14 September 2014 - 00:38.

#528 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:41

Well we've reached the end of the 2014 season all too soon. It is still 2014 though so how are you looking forward to the 'aero' kits (maybe) finally showing up?

I've looked out for them since first mooted and gnashed my teeth over all the stalling, allegedly because of cost and impoverished team owners, although the team owner bit is another topic, I guess.

How about though the move now to a broad outline of a new car/engine spec for 2018? We've not seen the aero outcome yet, and WHAT? How're those impoverished team owners presently going to move forward?

#529 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,746 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 13:20

Does "No." work for you? 
Odd how the rest of the planet can cope with Rugby Union, Rugby League, Soccer, American Football, Australian Rules, and Gaelic Football all being called football except for this strange section of poms who can't muster the intellectual capacity to deal with the concept.

Neil

As opposed to the intellectual capacity of someone who can't grasp that to most of the world, football is the variety that uses a spherical ball and is actually played with FEET?

And I've been to more NFL games than "soccer" games, FWIW. I'm actually a fan.

#530 Option1

Option1

• 13,205 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 13:35

Ummm, soccer was mentioned in my post.  Seriously, the handegg thing was never a funny joke when it was first used about 50 years ago.

Neil

#531 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,746 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 13:45

Wasn't meant to be funny. Anyway, apology accepted, and happy to return to topic now.

#532 Risil

Risil

• 13,894 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 14:33

Speaking of going off-topic, a 2015 silly season thread might be useful...

Edited by Risil, 14 September 2014 - 14:34.

#533 427MkIV

427MkIV

• 53 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:17

Indycar begins discussion on 2018 car

I'll be optimistic and hope for multiple chassis manufacturers and teams being allowed to build their own chassis.

#534 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,248 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:36

We don't have CART era budgets so CART era cars won't seem to fit.

They need to do something creative. Actualy creative, not just small steps of the current format. Current Indycar doesn't work, and unlike NASCAR or F1 they really don't have a lot to lose.

They either need to

-Tender out the engines as a super high tech/forward thinking live R&D exercise. Ie car companies are going to spend *silly* amounts of money on future technology. Why not give them the chance to spend that money *and* do some marketing. The upside of that is if Ford is sponsoring you as advertising, you can lose that money to the NFL, TV advertising, whatever. R&D money isn't going to be poached by Major League Soccer.

or

-Go back to basics. A really basic/cheap car(with the requisite driver safety) but then open up the rules a little more so there's some diversity. The fans aren't as tech savvy as they think they are, they just need to *look* different. "Innovating" is a mostly visual thing. This will mean the end of higher tech engines probably. They need a huge 700-750hp engine that's accessible in cost/technology. And then design car rules around that so 750hp is enough to light up the rear tires on road courses and do really high speeds on ovals(on the straights). The corner speeds may need to come down, but that's manageable. Would you take 250mph down the straights at Indy and a 200mph corner speed? I would. You still get a headline speed figure. I'd be the first one to buy a qualifying day ticket in Turn 1 because I want to see how deep the bravest guys are going before lifting, and introducing some slowing down for the turns/handling will make the race better/more interesting.

#535 Option1

Option1

• 13,205 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:02

Interesting post, Ross, but I don't quite get what you mean by "Current Indycar doesn't work, ..."  I thought the current approach was one of the main reasons we're starting to see some resurgence of interest in the series - it has provided some excellent racing, although too many crashes (but I tend to put that down to over-enthusiastic drivers and too many concrete walls in silly places).

Neil

Edited by Option1, Yesterday, 15:02.

#536 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,248 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:58

Interest doesn't mean shit. (Sorry to be terse)

I want racing peple can afford first, then we can have rides for the peple that are interested in the series. More affordable gets you into an area where you can actually survive based on the current on-site and TV attendance. Maybe in the long term you can actually increase that audience.

Indycar is basically an economy that has run out of momentum. The racing is good, the industry is not. The industry is what will keep it alive.

#537 Option1

Option1

• 13,205 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:48

Of course, interest only means something if it converts into dollars/sponsorship/tv coverage/etc. Anyway, I now get where you're coming from.  Very interesting. :D

Neil

#538 Risil

Risil

• 13,894 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:54

De facto Indycar chief Derrick Walker has moreorless confirmed that the 2018 Indy car formula will have cockpit canopies. There've been some pretty narrow escapes even with the new car so I'm glad they're considering it. It's not mentioned anywhere in the quotes but didn't Hinchcliffe get knocked out by flying bodywork at the Indy GP?

Edited by Risil, Yesterday, 18:54.

#539 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,354 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:57

De facto Indycar chief Derrick Walker has moreorless confirmed that the 2018 Indy car formula will have cockpit canopies. There've been some pretty narrow escapes even with the new car so I'm glad they're considering it. It's not mentioned anywhere in the quotes but didn't Hinchcliffe get knocked out by flying bodywork at the Indy GP?

I want to go 'barf', but I get the feeling that modern oval racing has a different set of safety requirements than modern circuit racing.

What I'd love to see is cockpit canopies exclusively part of the aero-kits for ovals and not present on circuits. That would be awesome.

Edited by Afterburner, Yesterday, 18:57.

Advertisement

#540 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,042 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:45

I want to go 'barf', but I get the feeling that modern oval racing has a different set of safety requirements than modern circuit racing.

What I'd love to see is cockpit canopies exclusively part of the aero-kits for ovals and not present on circuits. That would be awesome.

That wouldn't make much sense.  The two potential disasters due to exposed helmet happened during the Indy road race.

That said, I would really hate to see the canopies anywhere.  Yes, obviously they would make the racing safer, but remote-controlled cars would be safer still.

Edited by Dmitriy_Guller, Yesterday, 23:57.

#541 MattPete

MattPete

• 1,448 posts

Posted Today, 01:12

De facto Indycar chief Derrick Walker has moreorless confirmed that the 2018 Indy car formula will have cockpit canopies

That article makes the canopies sound Schkee-like.

...or maybe like a McLaren M16b

Edited by MattPete, Today, 01:18.