* * * * * 1 votes

Lotus E22 (2014 challenger)

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#801 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:02

I can see them as the 3rd team this season.

Last year were second or third, fighting with Mercedes. This year I don't think they could reach RedBull, but can be close behind them.

I think that the Mercedes powered teams will lose their advantage and fade towards the end of the season (excepting Mercedes).

Totally agree.

Anyway Pic put 70 problem free laps into E22 yesterday, hopefully this day will be at least as successful as the previous (Maldonado will drive today).

Advertisement

#802 SRK

SRK

• 177 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 15:20

Is even better.

BnmsQFKIEAAZgXo.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.co...QFKIEAAZgXo.jpg

Edited by SRK, 14 May 2014 - 15:21.

#803 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 18:15

Yeah lotus can and must catch Williams IMO... Lotus is a Renault 'customer' so it must beat Merc customers.

Pic only used medium tires according to many sources.
Maldonado obviously used the super softs at the end.

Pirrelli after Bahrain 2 winter tests:
"The performance differences seen in the second Bahrain test between the compounds are approximately as follows: the supersoft is around 0.7s per lap faster than the soft, the soft is around 1.3-1.5s per lap quicker than the medium, and the medium is around 1.3-1.5s per lap quicker than the hard. These gaps are expected to come down as the teams improve their understanding of the tyres during the season."

#804 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 853 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 18:25

1m24.871s and 102 laps... Not bad, not bad I'd say... Nevertheless, the solid milage is what I like the most. Hope they made good progress today and unlocked some E22 potential.

#805 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 19:32

1m24.871s and 102 laps... Not bad, not bad I'd say... Nevertheless, the solid milage is what I like the most. Hope they made good progress today and unlocked some E22 potential.

"That was a complete day for us and my first normal day of testing this season," said the Venezuelan. "We didn't have any problems and we gained a lot of good running with good track conditions compared to yesterday's. We ran to plan and completed everything we wanted to do. We learnt a lot more about the car, the set-up and performance is improving all the time so I'm feeling more comfortable to push too. It's been a big step forward today which hopefully means we'll be much better for the rest of the season."

"We completed everything we set out to do today including aero assessments, mapping work, energy recovery scenarios, evaluations of set-up and ride height, tyre usage programmes and so on," beamed Trackside Operations Director, Alan Permane, "and I'm pleased to say the E22 didn't miss a beat.

"We completed over 100 laps today so it's been very good to see what is possible when we have good reliability. With the data we have collected over the last two days and the progress we've made, we're in much better shape heading to the next races. There is plenty of potential in the E22."

#806 Exb

Exb

• 1,152 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 22:23

Great reliability from Lotus at this test and nice looking lap times as well. An impressive turnaround from the Enstone team and I look forward to seeing how they continue that on from here and how close to the front they can get.

#807 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 23:13

"Creo que Lotus ha encontrado algo que parecía que iba mejor, han cambiado algo"
http://www.caranddri...a-que-iba-mejor

?

"Paul Seaby ‏@Seabs 26 Min.
A great two days testing... The first time this year that it feels like progress has been made!"

Edited by Alburaq, 14 May 2014 - 23:13.

#808 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:34

"Creo que Lotus ha encontrado algo que parecía que iba mejor, han cambiado algo"

"Believe that Lotus has found something that seemed better, something has changed."

He was talking about very different things in this article, and then comes this sentence. It's a bit weird, but hope it is true. :drunk:

#809 Carlo's

Carlo's

• 999 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:51

"Believe that Lotus has found something that seemed better, something has changed."

He was talking about very different things in this article, and then comes this sentence. It's a bit weird, but hope it is true. :drunk:

He just meant that Lotus have found a new Super Softs in the back of the garage :D

#810 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:21

He just meant that Lotus have found a new Super Softs in the back of the garage :D

Haha

Rosberg always talks that way AFAIK :)

#811 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 252 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 19:58

Test driver Marco Sorensen has started to bring in the dough. Danish bank Saxo Bank will be the main sponsor in Monaco, with the logo on the sidepods of the F1 cars. In addition to this they will also be prominent in the livery on Lotus' 3.5 cars, and Sorensen's Tech 1 car.

#812 Exb

Exb

• 1,152 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:48

Emilvang Posted Yesterday, 20:58

Test driver Marco Sorensen has started to bring in the dough. Danish bank Saxo Bank will be the main sponsor in Monaco, with the logo on the sidepods of the F1 cars. In addition to this they will also be prominent in the livery on Lotus' 3.5 cars, and Sorensen's Tech 1 car.

I'd forgot about Sorenson, especially with Pic getting to drive at Barcelona. Does anyone know if there are there any plans for him to test the car at all (maybe the test at Silverstone?)

#813 GoGro

GoGro

• 23 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:03

Maybe He will do the test for young drivers during the summer break.

Anyway I am really glad the Enstone guys are back, even though under normal conditions it's going to be really hard to grab a podium.

#814 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,792 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:07

Impressive comeback though. At the moment they don't even seem that far off Ferrari or Williams.

#815 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,520 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:46

They have a good chance of challenging for top 5 regularly. 

Very impressive indeed. 

#816 Zava

Zava

• 4,976 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 17:18

I bet they paid some backlog salaries and this was the thank you from the tech guys! Next race both cars will run problem-free mode?

one of the cars will never be problem-free as long as Maldonado is driving it. :|

#817 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:07

How much were you able to do for Monaco with the two tracks being so different?

You can prepare in the sense of finding a general performance improvement, such as more downforce. But in terms of a really detailed set-up, we know we’ll have to change that for Monaco.

What developments are in the pipeline for the E22?

There’s quite a lot for Monaco, including the usual ‘one-off’ aerodynamic package for maximum downforce, which will not be used at other circuits because it is quite ‘draggy’. There will also be a small modification to the cooling system and there are other aerodynamic developments aimed at making the car more stable.

Do you think Monaco will suit the E22?

Yes I think it will. Monaco is a bit of a strange place - a one off - so it’s always dangerous to assume your car will be good there. But I think it will suit the E22 and we should go fairly well. We’ll also be bringing some specific parts aimed at giving us more downforce at what is the highest downforce track of the year. Other new parts will help tune the car for the bumpy and low speed track characteristics. The parts we’ve tested so far look good and we’ll also have a new fuel from Total which should further improve power and driveability.

http://www.lotusf1te...e/moving-on-up/

#818 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:15

I'm surprised he says Monaco will suit the E22. Until Spain the car doesnt look very good regarding slow turn entry/braking and slow turn exit/traction...

Edited by Alburaq, 16 May 2014 - 18:16.

#819 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 853 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:30

we’ll also have a new fuel from Total which should further improve power and driveability.

I read RBR was expecting to run with new fuel on Saturday during Spain GP but after the event I couldn't find confirmation on this. 

I'm also surprised about Chester words. But as Gro said they've prepared some ground during Barcelona test and if I conclude correctly they made a progress  in the low speed corners area.

“The emphasis at Monaco is on low speed corners, which is not our greatest strength,” he admitted, “but the team worked with Monaco in mind during the Barcelona test”.

http://www.f1fanatic...onaco-grosjean/

Advertisement

#820 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 20:56

Grosjean drove classic Renault F1 cars:

140887.jpg

There's some interesing comparision of the classic and modern turbocharged Renault engines:

http://www.grandprix...-turbo-engines/

Edited by eREr, 16 May 2014 - 21:01.

#821 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 14:31

saxo-lotus.jpg

Lars Seier Christensen, co-CEO and co-founder, Saxo Bank A/S: “Sponsoring high performance sports like Formula 1, World Series by Renault and Pro Tour Cycling is the embodiment of Saxo Bank’s general approach on how to excel in our line of business. Our sports sponsorships are always ambitious. We are in it to win and to give our clients and partners great experiences. At Saxo Bank, we are proud to be supporting the whole Lotus F1 Team, and especially Denmark’s very own Marco Sørensen, the official Lotus F1 Team Reserve and Development driver. The Monaco Grand Prix weekend is especially unique since Saxo Bank will be featured on five race cars – the two Lotus F1 Team cars, the Tech 1 Formula Renault 3.5 race car driven by Marco Sørensen and the two Lotus Formula Renault 3.5 team cars.”

Read more http://www.grandprix...otus-at-monaco/

#822 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:36

"In Barcelona, only Red Bull got the 12 horse power-better new Total fuel, with Renault customers Lotus, Toro Rosso and Caterham having to wait until this weekend in Monaco.

Reigning world champions Red Bull have reportedly calculated the advantage of the Barcelona fuel versus the previous spec at three tenths on the straight."  :eek:

The problem from Lotus point of view is that always Red Bull gets the new developments (PU, fuel, etc.) at first, Lotus will be always 1-2 steps behind.

Edited by eREr, 19 May 2014 - 09:07.

#823 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:35

With those three tenths, the E22 would have catched the williams in Spain, maybe : P : (
Why 'always'? :)
Anyways, they also say that the new fuel will bring more gains in Monaco and afterwards because they applied more tweaks on the PU after Spain in order to extract more efficiency from than new fuel.
Grosjean also says that there is no turbo lag in these engines today, so that means the MGUH and/or the intercooling are working properly.

Edited by Alburaq, 19 May 2014 - 12:38.

#824 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 13:07

BTW, Has someone recorded fP2 on SKY? Skysports has briefely showed the new left hand exhasut/left sidepod coolers during the free practice 2 broadcast, just before an advertising page. Anyone got a screenshot?   :blush:

#825 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:06

With those three tenths, the E22 would have catched the williams in Spain, maybe : P : (
Why 'always'? :)
Anyways, they also say that the new fuel will bring more gains in Monaco and afterwards because they applied more tweaks on the PU after Spain in order to extract more efficiency from than new fuel.
Grosjean also says that there is no turbo lag in these engines today, so that means the MGUH and/or the intercooling are working properly.

Why always? As RB has Newey and they get the updates first, the E22 must be superior from every aspect to catch RB.

The driveability is the key in Monaco, not just the horsepower, but Renault together with Total getting better and better on both areas. Plus the setup work on the last in-season test days should also result improvements in lap time. I think the race is on with Ferrari, Williams and Force India. Merc and RB are unreachable at the moment, Lotus can be the best of the rest.

#826 Carlo's

Carlo's

• 999 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:49

Judging by their pace, Q3 is unlikely to reach today. Even Q2 could be quite a big hurdle for both Pastor & Romain. I just hope that they can avoid traffic and their laps are clean. Both are capable of making a good result there but E22 has problems with 'underheating' of their tyres. Unfortunately, bBoth Monaco and Canada could be not the best tracks for Lotus.

#827 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:22

It was a weekend to forget, at least the team and Grosjean doubled their points. Waiting for aero tracks. :)

#828 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 14:24

Yeah. Low speed corners are the main problem. That shows this car still has a big potenitial. It brings a top six in a real circuit despite this big weak point (sector 3 in Barcelona)

We scored points and we know where to improve the car, which is not quick enough in low speed corners and certainly we’re trying to get more power for Canada too!

And the high speed corners?

They are not a concern. The aerodynamics are stable and the power unit management is getting better so now we are more focussed on the suspension side. Last year we had a very good car in that aspect, so we’ll compare the E22 with the E21 and possibly revert to some previous settings to make it better at low speed. I believe our downforce is pretty good so it’s mechanical grip we’re after. Even at Monaco we improved the car, even if it didn’t look like it on the timesheets.

http://motorsport.ne...Xbox,77402.html

#829 Exb

Exb

• 1,152 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 23:41

New low downforce rear wing for Canada ( https://twitter.com/...681339141439488 )

#F1 Tech updates Montreal: Also a new low drag rear wing for Lotus. Very slim profile. Only 2 slots in endplate: pic.twitter.com/FsSUSCUVTI

BpZoKYpCAAArgTN.jpg

Edited by Exb, 05 June 2014 - 23:42.

#830 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:26

BpXvduiCMAAAn9v.jpg

new sponsor???  :confused:

#831 Blue

Blue

• 1,220 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 14:00

Did you read this:

http://www.outsports...-olympics-fired

#832 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,595 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 20:16

Sad. Maybe not a wise move on the part of Mr Samson at the time but certainly not something to warrant a dismissal. 

#833 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:01

Sad. Maybe not a wise move on the part of Mr Samson at the time but certainly not something to warrant a dismissal. 

then again,  a famous WDC had once been dismissed from a top team for calling a truck 'Truck' ... 

i've to agree with LotusF1 here, when one joins a job, there is always clauses and company rules and blah blah ... it's the company that pays the employees, and it's the job of the employee to ensure nothing upsets the company, maybe we're not privy to all the details, as he was fired some times after the Tweet incident, maybe there were internal tensions. remember the ruckus it caused with screwing squirrels tweet??? 

#834 turssi

turssi

• 1,188 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 13:34

This is why Bernie wants to keep politics away from F1: They are mostly bad for business.

Happily this will not make the E22 any slower or faster.

#835 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,595 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 19:23

then again,  a famous WDC had once been dismissed from a top team for calling a truck 'Truck' ... 

i've to agree with LotusF1 here, when one joins a job, there is always clauses and company rules and blah blah ... it's the company that pays the employees, and it's the job of the employee to ensure nothing upsets the company, maybe we're not privy to all the details, as he was fired some times after the Tweet incident, maybe there were internal tensions. remember the ruckus it caused with screwing squirrels tweet??? 

Mr Samson did not tweet to support criminals or some dodgy organizations. The tweet was in support of equal rights for a group of human beings. Therefore the punishment does not fit the 'crime'. Those who urged for his firing obviously do not support or are even against equal rights.

Edited by Timstr11, 17 June 2014 - 19:25.

#836 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 16:45

Did Grosjean starts his race sim with the yellow tires (in his 21st lap) or with the red ones (28th lap)? his pace was (very) good. 
But one needs a good qualy pace...

#837 search

search

• 193 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 20:47

Did Grosjean starts his race sim with the yellow tires (in his 21st lap) or with the red ones (28th lap)? his pace was (very) good. 
But one needs a good qualy pace...

he started it on the primes, switched back to the options after 7 laps. The stop only took him a couple of section, so he already was fueled up on the first run (if that's what you are asking for)

and the pace actually was quite good, indeed, on par with Red Bull and Ferrari on the softer tyres, something like ~2 tenths behind on the harder ones. But Williams was way quicker, so not sure how to put that into perspective

#838 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 315 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 23:36

Whats more $$$ for the next season the money Lotus receives from Maldonado or the money that Lotus would receive if they finish again in 4th?

#839 turssi

turssi

• 1,188 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 00:38

What about finishing 8th and losing Maldonado?

Advertisement

#840 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 315 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:09

What about finishing 8th and losing Maldonado?

I think thats the worst thing that could happen.

#841 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 134 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:55

At least they wouldn't have to budget for as many spare parts next year

#842 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 19:31

http://joesaward.wor...o-merc-engines/

#843 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,896 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:16

Engine freeze was such a good idea  :rolleyes:

#844 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 385 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:12

Well at least the car can survive a collision. It's odd but I feel like Maldonado is now the better driver at the moment in the past two races. Better starts in the race and would have been around 11th-12th if there wasn't a collision and a retirement. That said Grosjean has points. 

Edited by Wheels23, 06 July 2014 - 15:12.

#845 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:03

It seems the removal of FRIC was the last nail in the coffin of E22. This car is a dog. The drivers are fighting with the Saubers while Marussia is closing on. I'm wondering how Gro was able to put this car to P5 in Barcelona :confused:

#846 Amz964

Amz964

• 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 13:28

Lotus should just give up on the E22 and focus on the  E23 from now on the car is clearly suffering from the loss of FRIC and they are now behind the Sauber's in pace and are still suffering from reliability issues. After the spainish GP where Grosjean qualified 5th and Maldonado who probably been in Q3 if he hadn't binned it, I really thought they turned a corner and the car was going to be in the points regularly and the car looked so good in post spanish test but its been the opposite they have fallen way behind now and the car looks so unstable on the brakes and it must be more than the Renault PU because Red Bull and even Torro Rosso are able to get into Q3 easily with the same engine. I don't expect them get any more points for the rest the year unless there is wet races.

#847 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,170 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 13:31

Unlucky for Maldonado again, his pace seemed alright this week

#848 GoGro

GoGro

• 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 13:53

That car is such a same, i really feel for both drivers  :(

I am not sure wether the Merc engine will change many things, they seem so far behind the Toro Rosso on equal engine .....